• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Cancelled Due to Cold

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ereediver

ereediver

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Cert Level:Open water, AOW
  • Logged Dives:17

Posted 30 October 2005 - 10:45 PM

:dltears: Had to pullout of a dive this weekend due to a slight head cold. It was nothing serious, but did have occasional congestion. Going by my Open Water class i figured I should hold off. specially since it was 60 degrees out side and about 60 degree water temp, not that I am afraid of cold water. Since I live in North East Ohio, and am running low on vacation time, was probably my last chance to dive till spring. So my question to those who wish to answer, How sick are you when you decide to stay out of the water.

#2 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 11:14 PM

:diver: Since you are a new diver..listen to your teacher and read your manual, if you do not feel good, do not dive! As you get more experienced..when you have a cold take massive amounts of Pseudoepheds and screw up your ears like mine have been for the last ten days and you get a trip to an ENT! LOL...not really a laughing matter :D

Edited by uwfan, 09 February 2010 - 10:33 PM.

You must endeavor to pursue!

#3 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 30 October 2005 - 11:17 PM

The water will be there later. If you take the chance, ending out injuring yourself, you might not be able to return to diving again. Err on the side of conservatism.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#4 jholley309

jholley309

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:20-ish

Posted 31 October 2005 - 06:46 AM

So my question to those who wish to answer, How sick are you when you decide to stay out of the water.

If I can't equalize my ears on dry land due to congestion, I don't dive. I've had a couple of dives in 68 degree water that made my sinuses clog up while I was in the water, and it's no fun at all. Although, the dizzy, lightheaded feeling you get when ascending with ears that are slow to equalize is kinda cool... :unsure:

Cheers!

Jim
Courage is not the absence of fear. Courage is what you do in spite of your fear.

Every man has fear. Any man who has no fear belongs in an institution. Or in Special Forces.

#5 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 31 October 2005 - 09:27 AM

It's hard to believe but true... The water will be there later. Don't risk permanent injury or worse by pushing yourself to dive when you are not feeling well. Do what you can to get better so that you can enjoy your dives later on!

#6 casematic

casematic

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Cert Level:master
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 31 October 2005 - 11:26 AM

As much as it sucks to miss out on a few dives, if you can't equalize.... stay out. I had an entire trip ruined by a cold once.... felt fine getting on the plane, but by the time we landed at grand cayman just 10 hours later, my nose was running like a faucet... I spent most of the week trying to get rid of the congestion... did manage to do one dive at the end of the week (took a while to equalize, but did get to depth).... and took quite a bit of time after the dive for the head to clear. The water will be there later..

#7 dennis mccarty

dennis mccarty

Getting started

• Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Cert Level:aow,rescue,nitrox
  • Logged Dives:9

Posted 01 November 2005 - 12:54 PM

:dltears: Had to pullout of a dive this weekend due to a slight head cold. It was nothing serious, but did have occasional congestion. Going by my Open Water class i figured I should hold off. specially since it was 60 degrees out side and about 60 degree water temp, not that I am afraid of cold water. Since I live in North East Ohio, and am running low on vacation time, was probably my last chance to dive till spring. So my question to those who wish to answer, How sick are you when you decide to stay out of the water.

The water will always be there. Always, Always, Always take stores on your fitness. If I cant equalize , I dont dive. If I dont feel 100% , I dont dive. No matter how good i will ever be, I dont want to place a doubt in my buddies mind of my ability. Good friends are for keeps. Get well
Dennis :teeth: :2cool:
I really was heading north, I just went the long way around.

#8 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Board Status:Ginnie Springs 12/17, Crystal River 12/18...
  • Cert Level:Cave
  • Logged Dives:522

Posted 01 November 2005 - 01:40 PM

So my question to those who wish to answer, How sick are you when you decide to stay out of the water.

If I can't equalize my ears on dry land due to congestion, I don't dive. I've had a couple of dives in 68 degree water that made my sinuses clog up while I was in the water, and it's no fun at all. Although, the dizzy, lightheaded feeling you get when ascending with ears that are slow to equalize is kinda cool... :teeth:

Cheers!

Jim

EXCELLENT Rule of Thumb!

nhb

#9 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 01 November 2005 - 02:32 PM

Why would you ever consider diving if you were not feeling 100%? I find this happens alot amongst divers. I just can't understand it.

If you are not up to the challenge you not only risk injury to yourself but also to your buddy and anyone else diving with you.

I know divers who will just pop a few Sudafeds cause that will clear up the congestion. What happens when they stop working mid dive? 60' down is a bad to to learn that you can no longer clear your ears.

I will not dive with anyone who does this. I have had a head cold since last week. I have had to miss several great dives with my buddies. I might have to miss another couple this weekend. But the water will be there next week. I will not be sick forever and my buddies will not have to rescue me or even worse explain to my family why I am no longer with them.

Commen Sense is always the best bet. Better to miss out on a few dives than to risk serious injury.
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#10 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 01 November 2005 - 02:46 PM

Very wise. Don't get tricked into using decongestants, as they can lead you into a serious accident.

#11 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 01 November 2005 - 06:23 PM

I've only gotten sick twice in the last ten years and both times it was on a liveaboard, on the Spree in the Texas Flower Gardens I missed about 5 dives because of a head cold near the end of the trip. I think the sore throat part may have been brought on by the 5 tanks of dry air a day and I now carry cough drops in in my "save a dive kit".
The last time was on the Galapagos Aggressor and I missed 7 dives in the middle of the trip but when you are days away from medical help you shouldn't take chances.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#12 ribbitz

ribbitz

Getting started

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, working on Advanced
  • Logged Dives:12

Posted 03 November 2005 - 10:52 PM

I wasted a whole week in Cozumel this summer. The week previous I was running a fever and no decongestant would work. Which was still the case in Cozumel. Such a shame, but I got plenty of bubble-watching in. By the end of the week, I was feeling better but then my ears started popping, so I opted out of it.

I'd rather stay on the safe side. Then spend a bunch of money on a dive trip that went bad...

#13 ereediver

ereediver

• PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Cert Level:Open water, AOW
  • Logged Dives:17

Posted 07 November 2005 - 09:16 PM

Thanks for the advise. Being new and severly bitten by the dive bug, I want to be in the water :o . I see common sence rules in this sport. This is a good thing.

#14 TekDiveGirl

TekDiveGirl

• PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Divemaster - trained through advanced wreck and Advanced Tri-mix
  • Logged Dives:A whole bunch - I don't know excactly as my logbook was destroyed... )-; It's a long story -- you really don't want to know...

Posted 07 November 2005 - 10:14 PM

I know divers who will just pop a few Sudafeds cause that will clear up the congestion. What happens when they stop working mid dive? 60' down is a bad to to learn that you can no longer clear your ears.

This is why you take 24 hour Sudafed -- so it won't wear off before the dive is over! :o
Kimber

Pink ~~~
It's the New Black!!!

#15 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 08 November 2005 - 02:56 PM

I know divers who will just pop a few Sudafeds cause that will clear up the congestion.  What happens when they stop working mid dive?  60' down is a bad to to learn that you can no longer clear your ears.

This is why you take 24 hour Sudafed -- so it won't wear off before the dive is over! :teeth:

I still think it's foolish to dive f you need to take a decongestant. You can't be sure when the effect will wear off - a friend lost both her ear drums this way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users