• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Having fun with my doubles....

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 01 December 2005 - 06:03 PM

Well I thought I'd report in on my recent activities since I've been offline for a while. Instead of being bogged down with teaching, I have become the student again and started my "tech" training. I have been easing into diving doubles with dive_addict, but this past weekend was my first official training weekend with my instructor - who is FABULOUS FABULOUS by the way!!

I survived and felt improvement on every dive and am headed back up for more dives this weekend. Does the gear get any lighter? um no. Do you look really cool? Well I thought so until one set of doubles I dove had the bands so low I kept getting pile drived into a head stand. Above water, I thought I looked cool, but gis_gal can probably tell you a different story!! :birthday: Did I get to be secretive in my training on the dive site? um heck no. I knew everyone there - former students, local divers, dive_addict and crew, and then the unexpected SD dive gang. So much for the anonymity I was seeking - I am actually (don't fall of your dj chair Hawk) a very private individual when I am learning something new. dive_addict was kind enough to dive a different area of the site as I threatened him with knife deployment if I looked over while struggling with valve shut off drills to be met with his smiley face.

As it has been quite a while since I've involved myself with personal training (especially one so drastically different than what I am used to), I can't explain enough how exciting this is. So allow me to add that if you haven't taken a dive class in while, I really encourage you all to take a look at what's available around you. You'd be surprised how energizing it can be. Maybe it's photography, maybe fish or invertebrates ID (which I highly recommend if you have access to talented instructors who specialize in this area), maybe it's wreck (still chomping at the bit to get to NC), or deep diving. The point is there is a lot out there and I encourage you to seek it out!

Well I need to sign off for now. I'm headed to pick up my new gear that has come in and off to my next classroom session! Who-hoo!!!

:P

And I'll be happy to share a list of gear and configuration if anyone is truly interested on what I settled on.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#2 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 06:14 PM

And I'll be happy to share a list of gear and configuration if anyone is truly interested on what I settled on.

Well, share. I'd like to hear what you settled on. I've done my last 4 OW and 8 pool sesions in doubles. It certainly is different, but very enjoyable.

#3 Warthog

Warthog

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI OW, AOW, Rescue, Nitrox, & Night
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 01 December 2005 - 08:53 PM

I've never dived w/doubles, but most ppl I know that do, absolutely love it. One is a 95 pound 'soaking wet' lady that (literally) dives all day on one fill.

Unfortunately, as a diabetic, I can't stay in the water that long (will get low on the ole blood sugar). Thus, I have to surface as much for food as I do for air. Although I've gotten better over time with eating the right combination of foods and taking the right combination of drugs.

-Warthog

#4 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 01 December 2005 - 10:24 PM

DG ~ Had I known you were diving there........We would have shown up earlier :-D

The one time I saw you under water I thought you looked fabulous. :) You always look cool on the surface.

Your instructor was very gracious when we all interupted his dive briefing to come over and say hello.

I will admit peering into your car and seeing those sets of doubles did get me green with envy.
Seeing dive-addict and meeting his Dad helped tame the green eyed monster a bit.
Can't stay upset with such adorable men around. I was diving with a new dive buddy that day so life was indeed sweet.

I hope to be following in your footsteps soon. The techie bug has finally bite me.
I have been dreaming of banding my 80's and BP&W's for a few weeks now. :lmao:

I would love to learn what gear has made your list.

Edited by gis_gal, 01 December 2005 - 10:26 PM.

Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#5 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 02 December 2005 - 09:58 AM

Wow... I thought you had already trained on doubles long ago. Glad it is working out for you. I'm going to take gis_gal's word over yours that you looked good (trim wise) underwater. You may be too subjective to give us an honest assessment.

I bought a Dive Rite backplate to go with my set of wings about a year ago. I've used it to dive single tanks, but actually got it so I could dive doubles. Haven't dome it yet, but I'm working up to it. Of course I already dive "doubles" with my HP120 and 13 cu ft pony! I'm going to gradually work up to a 19, then a 40 cu ft pony and finally twin 95's. My dive buddy and instructor Karen dove double HP120's on occasion. I was impressed with how graceful she was in them.

Good advice on the additional dive training. I've enjoyed working with Karen first on my rescue diver cert and now on DM. I don't really plan on becoming professional, but it is good to refresh skills and knowledge. I especially liked your suggestion that folks here take a fish or invertebrate ID class. I think knowledge of the critters goes a long way towards enhancing one's diving experience.

#6 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 03 December 2005 - 12:31 PM

I was talking to a woman at work when another walked in and asked "Check out the new doubles I got over the weekend" (.][.) and she wasn't even a diver! :usflag:
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#7 Trimix2dive

Trimix2dive

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Trimix
  • Logged Dives:519

Posted 03 December 2005 - 05:41 PM

doubles are fun, and graceful, and HEAVY. LOL

speaking of doubles, and i'm sure exactly how this all really worked out and i was the one brokering this deal - this morning five of us got to together for a gear swap exchange with a local shop owner. Lots of stuff went back and forth, money for this and trading for that, and money and this and this for that. yata yata yata.

At the end I ended up with 2 aluminum 80 (at zero out of pocket expense), and a new used set of manifolds and bands at shop cost. So set 3 will be two aluminum 80's, do to the lighter weight that the 108's this will make it to the lakes for the non-helium mix dives.

with that said, I now have an extra 80 for sale if someone local wants. It has current hydro, inspection, and is 02 clean. let me know.

#8 dennis mccarty

dennis mccarty

Getting started

• Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Cert Level:aow,rescue,nitrox
  • Logged Dives:9

Posted 04 December 2005 - 11:22 AM

Would always like to know what harness set up and tanks you chose. Im doing the same now with the OMS set up and remote valve for the manifold. I am going to have scuba pro 17 regs due to them being closed which takes in account black water diving for sheriffs dept and for the cold, I want to go to Iceland and dive.
Congrads,
dennis
I really was heading north, I just went the long way around.

#9 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 04 December 2005 - 11:26 AM

All I can say Nicolle is congratulations on moving forward on starting your tech training. I know you have been wanting to do this for a long time and how excited about it you were! You'll do great and will always look cool!! :thankyou: :banghead:

#10 TekDiveGirl

TekDiveGirl

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Divemaster - trained through advanced wreck and Advanced Tri-mix
  • Logged Dives:A whole bunch - I don't know excactly as my logbook was destroyed... )-; It's a long story -- you really don't want to know...

Posted 04 December 2005 - 11:45 AM

Woohoo -- yay on your new training! Isn't it fun! I am so excited for you!! Ok - but I have to ask - do you wear any pink?

Those tanks do get lighter! I swear it! They seem to be sooooooooooooooooooooooooo heavy at first. But after time and the more you dive them the easier it gets. Kinda how those AL80s seemed like such huge monstrocities when you started out in OW. And just think of how single tanks will feel on your back when you get used to these.

But I am warning you -- once you get used to doubs -- you may never want to dive singles again. I love the way my doubles feel in the water vs singles and always prefer them.

Of course we want to know what gear setup you chose. Spill it woman. Ok maybe everybody doesn't -- but I am interested. (-;

I took my double Faber85s - PINK ALbp, Oxycheq45# wing out on the boat yesterday. I like that setup for easy fun grab it and go diving. The 85s are my favorite doubles. So tell us about your gear.. come on.

Kimber
Kimber

Pink ~~~
It's the New Black!!!

#11 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 05 December 2005 - 09:31 AM

i wanna have fun with your doubles

:cheerleader:

meow meow meow
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#12 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Board Status:Ginnie Springs 12/17, Crystal River 12/18...
  • Cert Level:Cave
  • Logged Dives:522

Posted 05 December 2005 - 09:40 AM

I'm curious about your rig as well...mine is still awaiting the Christmas Bonus, but current plans are for LP 85's, DR ally b/p, DR bands, DR Classic Wing (with the rakish short Inflator hose), and Thermo ideal manifold...

Norm

#13 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 05 December 2005 - 11:58 AM

i wanna have fun with your doubles

meow meow meow

:cheerleader: :cool2: :lmao:
Get your butt safely home and I'll let you dive them! :cheerleader:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#14 ncdiver43

ncdiver43

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Cert Level:trimix
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 05 December 2005 - 12:15 PM

Hey my doubles are due in this week.. Iam lookin forward to diving them this week end!!...I have a question about manifolds.. other than having a adjustment.. is there really any difference between a "rotating cross bar manifold" and a "captured o-ring manifold?

#15 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 01:42 PM

AW CRUD!! I had my equipmnet list IN DETAIL open in a browser window that I'd been working on since this morning crash! Argh! I'll work on it again. Sorry folks.

(and DrBill - I have been diving doubles, just hadn't taken formal training in the "tech" realm. That's what I've been doing this past month! :hiya:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users