• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Having fun with my doubles....

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#31 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 03:33 PM

Sounds like a nice setup. You're sure deep in Dive Rite's catalog! :cheerleader:

#32 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 08 May 2006 - 03:43 PM

well it's easy when they have all the goodies I am looking for, decent pricing, and makes for easy ordering!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#33 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Cert Level:aow/nitrox
  • Logged Dives:absolutly no idea

Posted 08 May 2006 - 06:10 PM

Im spending next christmas at dive_girls house........ :cheerleader:

#34 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 08 May 2006 - 06:40 PM

well it's easy when they have all the goodies I am looking for, decent pricing, and makes for easy ordering!

Diverite makes regs too. You should be more environmentally aware, and buy some so you can dispose of the SP hazmat stuff. I'll pm you with my address so they can receive proper dispoal procedures.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#35 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 06:52 PM

What a gear whore CaptSteve! I let you use MY gear, and now you're after more... I'm soooo disappointed in you! :cheerleader:

Edited by PerroneFord, 08 May 2006 - 06:54 PM.

#36 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 06:56 PM

Diverite makes regs too.

Unfortunately, I am underwhelmed with most of Dive Rite's gear. However, I do like the regs quite a bit. I own two of the sealed ones. Their SPG is also quite nice too...

#37 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 08 May 2006 - 08:07 PM

Unfortunately, I am underwhelmed with most of Dive Rite's gear.

Certainly not me. Their gear is holding up just fine in salt water under harsh conditions - fun diving, tech diving, wreck penetration, and teaching. My tech instructor, who is also full cave, dives a similar set-up (he chose apex regs over SP), but he has also had nothing but great experiences with his DiveRite rigging and canister.

I really think most backplates, webbing, and d-rings are all just the same. Wings will have their track records for material/bladder durability and really it comes down to personal preference that include the placement and ease of use of the low pressure hose and dump valves. I heavily dove and compared Halcyon, Oxychek, and DiveRite in open water before buying my wing. I just can't make a selection on gear like this by using it in a pool, on a single dive, or by word of mouth. I gotta dive it - really dive it. So I did before purchasing any of my gear. The only exception was my initial back-up a seven bulb LED that buggered up on me at 150'.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#38 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 08:32 PM

Hey, ya gotta go with what works for you.

I own DR regs, spg, wing. I looked at their reels and felt other options were better. My instructor has 3 or 4 cave lights and the DR's break more than anything else. In fact, everyone I know with a DR light has it in service twice a year or more. Scared me off of them. Lots of people were having issues with the Duo, so I passed and went Suunto. But, these are all just personal choices. If your stuff is working for you, then it is! :cheerleader:

I also probably get to hear more horror stories than you do. I live 80 miles from the DR headquarters.

I live slightly further away from Halcyon and Salvo! :cheerleader:

#39 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 08 May 2006 - 09:57 PM

Most of my gear is out of the DR catalog as well. The only complaints that I have had have been with !@#$ 10W HID focusable beam canister light. I did go to another reel as well. I didn't care for their locking nut on their reels.

Other than that, I dive DR regs on my deco bottles, a DR classic wing and the DR steel BP with the DR harness. I have had no issues with any of the above :cheerleader: .

To summarize:

Genesis HP100's or PST HP130's doubled...
Thermo (I believe) manifold
DR bands
DR harness with QD on left shoulder
DR 10W focusable beam canister light
DR classic wing (Venture wing for the rare times that I dive my HP120's with H-Valves)
DR regs with DIN connections on my deco bottles
Aqualung Legend LX regs for backgas
OMS finger spool with 100 ft. of line in side pocket along with tables and DR slate with back-up deco plan
ReefScuba dive reel with 200 ft. of line.
Andy's DS2 drysuit
Andy's 200 g undergarments
Bare 200 g undergarments
Henderson Hood
Henderson Kevlar coated wetgloves
DR fins
VR3 Dive Computer
VyTec Dive Computer (Gauge mode when using mix)
DR 50 lb lift bag with pocket attached to back of BP
DR steel BP
DUI Weight and Trim Harness if diving singles (rare)
One 6 cubic ft. tank for air/argon with one more on the way.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#40 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Getting started

• Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Cert Level:Tech 1/Rescue
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 15 May 2006 - 08:02 PM

It is cool to read about someone elses journey to "Tech". I've been doing it for the past year or so. My buddy and I are going out to the Lowrance (210) this weekend and I'm excited. The question I have is, have the tanks gotten lighter? :D

I remember my first double AL 80s and how heavy they felt. Recently moved to double steel 120s. Went to move my 80s around in the garage and holy cow, they were a lot lighter than I remember!

Dave Bush
David Bush
Titusville, FL

#41 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 08:22 PM

It is cool to read about someone elses journey to "Tech". I've been doing it for the past year or so. My buddy and I are going out to the Lowrance (210) this weekend and I'm excited. The question I have is, have the tanks gotten lighter? :D

Yes, they're all steel 19cuft now! :)

#42 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 08:37 PM

The question I have is, have the tanks gotten lighter? :)

I remember my first double AL 80s and how heavy they felt. Recently moved to double steel 120s. Went to move my 80s around in the garage and holy cow, they were a lot lighter than I remember!

I remember when my SINGLE AL 80 seemed heavy!!! :D

#43 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Getting started

• Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Cert Level:Tech 1/Rescue
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 15 May 2006 - 08:44 PM

I wonder if we are actually getting stronger and thus able to handle the tanks easier or if we are just changing our definition of what "really heavy" is? Maybe some of both...
David Bush
Titusville, FL

#44 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 08:48 PM

...or if we are just changing our definition of what "really heavy" is?

this has my vote! :D

#45 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 16 May 2006 - 07:35 AM

It's because we are getting younger and stronger. :D
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users