• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Having fun with my doubles....

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#16 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 05 December 2005 - 02:36 PM

(and DrBill - I have been diving doubles, just hadn't taken formal training in the "tech" realm. That's what I've been doing this past month! :hiya:)

I thought so.

Will have to borrow the doubles set-up a friend has and try them out with my BP. Of course I'm already diving "twin 63's" with my HP120... until the valve or reg fails. That's when my pony enters the picture. So far so good, but I'm still thinking of getting a bigger pony in case!

#17 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 06 December 2005 - 11:30 PM

Hey my doubles are due in this week.. Iam lookin forward to diving them this week end!!...I have a question about manifolds.. other than having a adjustment.. is there really any difference between a "rotating cross bar manifold" and a "captured o-ring manifold?

I have used both. I have had problems with neither.

Rotating might have an advantage if you knock the manifold against a ceiling such as a wreck or cave. In that case, the center will rotate (if the retaining nuts are left loose or the design does not have the nuts). In a captured o-ring design, this could potentially cause damage since the manifold won't rotate out of the way. On the other hand, you would have to whack the valve pretty hard for this to happen.

Edited by ScubaDadMiami, 06 December 2005 - 11:30 PM.

"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#18 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 08 December 2005 - 11:16 AM

I'm still working on my equipment list for everyone. Good news is last night my second MK-25 arrived! I worked on the configuration last night, but didn't have my tanks to check the set-up out (they are at the shop getting mixed).

Anyone out there dive MK-25s have suggestions for hose placements? I've seen it down a couple different ways, each method using the bottom lp port. If someone who has set them up before could share their learned tips and tricks, I would be very thankful!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#19 Trimix2dive

Trimix2dive

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Trimix
  • Logged Dives:519

Posted 08 December 2005 - 09:16 PM

I'm still working on my equipment list for everyone. Good news is last night my second MK-25 arrived! I worked on the configuration last night, but didn't have my tanks to check the set-up out (they are at the shop getting mixed).

Anyone out there dive MK-25s have suggestions for hose placements? I've seen it down a couple different ways, each method using the bottom lp port. If someone who has set them up before could share their learned tips and tricks, I would be very thankful!

If you are having problems with the LP inflator hose, use the butt end LP port - this gives you a few extra inches to the standard hose due radial flex from the other ports. Hope this helps.

I've got my two rigged that way. The other one on my duals set-up, is to inflat the lift / deco bag. I have a halcyon closed lift bag, so I use the 2nd LP inflator hose to inflate it. the bag will not dump air, and it the best bag I have every used for drift deco or surface marker.

#20 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 09 December 2005 - 03:05 AM

T2D, do you have a picture of your set up you can post so I can see it? :P
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#21 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 05:48 PM

If you are having problems with the LP inflator hose, use the butt end LP port - this gives you a few extra inches to the standard hose due radial flex from the other ports. Hope this helps.

I've got my two rigged that way. The other one on my duals set-up, is to inflat the lift / deco bag. I have a halcyon closed lift bag, so I use the 2nd LP inflator hose to inflate it. the bag will not dump air, and it the best bag I have every used for drift deco or surface marker.

So my dive buddy is now certified to work on ScubaPro regs and he said that the butt end LP port actually provides for better regulator performance at depth and I should hook my regs up to that port. Trimix2dive, I'm still interested in seeing a picture of your set-up. I have been diving my MK-25s now on my doubles, but would really like to have the most optimal first stage configuration possible.

#22 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 06 March 2006 - 07:27 PM

So my dive buddy is now certified to work on ScubaPro regs and he said that the butt end LP port actually provides for better regulator performance at depth and I should hook my regs up to that port. Trimix2dive, I'm still interested in seeing a picture of your set-up. I have been diving my MK-25s now on my doubles, but would really like to have the most optimal first stage configuration possible.

I run Mk 20s and my set up is-
Right post-the 1st stage is angle with the bottom pointed to center line of twins.The long hose is on a side port and pointed down with the LP inflator of the bottom plug.The left post has the 2nd reg(on a necklace) of the bottom port plug with the SPG of the HP port pointing down.The two 1st stages form a shallow v.When routing my hoses the LP hose goes under the 2nd stage hose cominhg off the left post.Doing it the other way(for me) reduced how far I can turn my head.
As to the bottom port plug breathing a bit easier it is true but look at the performance numbers...the side ports will give you more gas than you'll ever need.
How do you righ your argon?

Eric

#23 Photographic Mercenary

Photographic Mercenary

People are starting to get to know me

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Cert Level:USCG Captain AOW, Been diving actively since 1978 in the mid atlantic and all over the world
  • Logged Dives:well over 500, the dives get numbers and ratings now

Posted 06 March 2006 - 08:39 PM

Here in the mid atlantic I guess I quailify as an Amish Diver.
S-Pro Stab Jacket, with Stainless Bands that when you use different size bolts, they can take different diameter tanks.
I don't use a manifold just a 3000 psi crossover.
I assemble my doubles as I need them.
I have gone out on days that when we got to the dive site it was too rough, so I dove singles.
Getting back in the boat was easier.
If I know I'm going to be humping under water I can set up a set of double 105's lickity split.
Oh by the way I have 26 tanks in the inventory.
From 61 to 120 cuft.
I just got another set of steel 72's this week end first hydro'd in 1965.
They are sweet for bugging up here.

Another advantage to this set up you do not get hosed by the dive shop at VIP time for them to deal with your doulbes assembled.
Some shops around here expect you to load and unload your tanks into the fill tank.

pm

Norman J. McCullough

Photographic Mercenary,

Crisis Management,

Defender of Dumb Animals, & Damsels in Distress,

Licensed  Fool.

#24 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 11:03 AM

How do you rig your argon?

6gill, thanks so much for your config info! Currently I set-up my Argon bottle off my left tank upside down and thread my hose up under my harness to my drysuit. This is with a 13cf bottle. I am moving to a smaller 6cf bottle and will attach that to my harness in front of my wing off to the left in about the same spot as where my light canister sits (on the opposite side) creating a really nice balance.

#25 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 12:21 AM

6gill, thanks so much for your config info! Currently I set-up my Argon bottle off my left tank upside down and thread my hose up under my harness to my drysuit. This is with a 13cf bottle. I am moving to a smaller 6cf bottle and will attach that to my harness in front of my wing off to the left in about the same spot as where my light canister sits (on the opposite side) creating a really nice balance.

I've tried that way and changed it but try it out and see if it works for you.I found for me the bottle didn't feel comftable along with making the area busy(spg there along with deco/stage bottles).Ater trying several ways I was shown a set up by Bob Sherwood(must give credit) that pretty much disappears along with a slight change that reduces entanglment hazzard.Its a 6 cu.ft. worn up side down on the left sideof the backplate.A webbing strap 1/3 of the way down holding it stable with a bungie loop around the valve handle stoping it from dropping out.Now the slick part is rotating it 90 deg. so the handle points foward and not out to the side with the first stage tuckinging in just under the edge of the backplate pointing to the inside.The SP MKII is a perfect 1st stage for this.I'll try a get my hands on a digital camera if you need more details.

Eric

#26 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 01:11 AM

6gill - sounds like we are talking about the same thing. What I was trying to convey in my last sentence of my post is that I am planning on switching to a 6cf bottle upside down on the left aside in the same, but opposite spot as my light canister creating a balance and streamlined. Sounds like it is what you dive? :wacko:

#27 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 07:09 PM

6gill - sounds like we are talking about the same thing. What I was trying to convey in my last sentence of my post is that I am switching to a 6cf bottle upside down on the left aside in the same, but opposite spot as my light canister creating a balance and streamlined. Sounds like it is what you dive? :canada:

I misunderstood and thought you were going to use the set up that has a loop on the argon bottle similar to a light canister and loop it on the webbing.I found this set up created more trouble than it was worth.Now for the backplate mount there are two variations 1)the argon bottle has the handle facing foward and the 1st stage pointed in towards the diver(my current fav) 2) the handle point to the side but away from the diver with the 1st stage facing foward(seems more common).
Argon-for when you want that warm fuzzy feeling

Eric

#28 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 07:26 PM

ah! nope - bungie loops holding it to the backplate area upside down as you described! :canada:

#29 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 02:41 PM

Boy I have been remiss on updating this! Below is a list of my equipment and some notes regaridng placement. I am open to hearing constructive alternatives! And I have been diving doubles regularly since last December. Only time I have been in singles has been in the pool when teaching and for the first time in open water last weekend. I'm pretty hooked, although I'll be diving singles this weekend for the PNW dive day.

Doubles gear set-up:
DiveRite Manifold
DiveRite Classic wing - 59lb
DiveRight SS backplate – 5lb
DiveRite Basic Webbing Harness
Rigid d-rings added to left side of harness
v-weight – 8lbs for the 85s, none for 95s or larger
MK25, S550 both regs
DiveRite pressure gauge – off from left side tucked in through my harness (easy to read just by looking down even with a deco bottle attached)

Doubles:
DiveRite 300 bar DIN manifold
Worthington LP 85s
Highland bands

Stage/deco bottles:
AL 40 DIN
DiveRite stage/deco bottle straps
MK25 S550 with 39” hose

Lights, Lift Bags, Other Accessories & placement:
DiveRite Sheers – secured through the belt portion of my harness
DiveRite Riteables – right drysuit pocket (with my laminated dive tables)
DiveRite 10wd HID Canister Light
DiveRite Sprot LED back-up light – right side of harness with bolt snap and innertubing
50lb lift bag - left drysuit pocket
DiveRite 50’ finger spool – right side d-ring
DiveRite 100’ reel – d-ring inside left drysuit pocket
All bolt snaps are SS and secured with cave line

Exposure suit, mask & fins, computer:
DUI Dry hood
DUI TLS 350 drysuit
Weezle Extreme undergarments and booties
Oceanic Ion 4 mask
Oceanic Shadow mask – back up mask right drysuit pocket
Scubapro Jetfins XL with spring straps
DiveRite DUO – doubles as a bottom timer

On the to-buy list:
6cf Argon bottles

#30 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 08 May 2006 - 03:32 PM

I'm considering adding a slung 30 cu ft to my primary 120 + 19 cu ft pony when I do my deep dives at locations like Ship Rock off Catalina. Does that mean I'm diving unmanifolded, totally independent and redundant uneven triples?

Went down to 151 last weekend at Ship Rock, mainly because the vis was lousy above 120 ft due to the plankton bloom in the photic zone. It was incredible, perhaps 150 ft vis (but definitely NOT the tropics at 51 degrees). I was in awe at the horizon. Tim and Jessica were hunting lingcod 15-20 ft below me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users