• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

National Scuba Survey...Only 15 people care?

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,671 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 17 May 2004 - 07:13 AM

Hey gang...we have been asked by Texas A&M if we'd like to participate in a National Survey on Scuba that will be used by Dive Operators and Dive Park Management to better understand our scuba needs.

I have already taken the survey and it is quite painless yet very interesting. It will ask us to talk about acceptable tradeoffs....such as dive areas allowing fewer divers in them in exchange for an education seminar or perhaps a higher fee.

Would anyone else like to participate? I think it would be a great opportunity for SingleDivers.com to help make a difference in the diving community! -ww

Ok here is the deal....

If you want to participate in this valuable study you will need to email Michael Sorice (michael.sorice@tamu.edu) with your mailing address and the survey will be mailed to you. (This is to ensure quality control in response measurements.)

You fill it out and mail it back to Michael Sorice, PhD candidate and principal investigator for this project. Upon completion of the study your contact informtion will be destroyed as per the requirements of Texas A&M.

A&M needs 100 more respondents and I think we can provide them that just from Single Divers alone! Please consider helping out! -Kamala aka Wreck Wench

Letter from Michael:

Little research has been done on SCUBA divers and their preferences for various management alternatives for protecting underwater resources like corals. As a result, managers often take action on their own and without input from the diving community.

I'm a Ph.D. candidate at Texas A&M University (USA) doing research on SCUBA diver preferences for coral reef management. We're looking for U.S. residents over 18 yrs. old and who have saltwater diving experience to participate.

Participation consists of filling out a questionnaire. It should take less than 15 minutes to complete. If you are interested in participating, please send your snail mail address in an email to michael.sorice@tamu.edu. This research is being conducted by Texas A&M University so any information you provide will be strictly confidential and used solely for the purpose of this project.

If you want to know more about the project, check out:

http://lutra.tamu.ed...atprefflyer.htm

This is your chance to provide reef managers with input from the SCUBA community!

Thanks for your help!

Mike

Michael Sorice
Texas A&M University
Department of Wildlife & Fisheries Sciences
Human Dimensions Lab
2258 TAMU
College Station, TX 77845-2258

Summary of the Study:

Understanding SCUBA Diver Preferences for Coral Reef Conservation

As an increasing number of SCUBA divers impact coral reef resources, managers are faced with the need to take action to reduce or eliminate the problem. The aim of this project is to help decision makers understand SCUBA diver preferences for protecting coral resources, how divers decide between management measures, and which combinations of management measures would have the most overall support in the sport diver community.

The study’s objectives are to (1) identify realistic management measures for protecting coral resources salient to SCUBA divers, (2) evaluate the relative importance of each measure to divers, (3) estimate the importance of options for each management measure, (4) estimate the aggregate importance of management scenarios based on various combinations of the management measures, and (5) examine the potential for applying this type of research in specific marine protected areas.

Traditional research designs for evaluating management preferences ask respondents to indicate the extent to which they prefer each individual management option. This can result in a lack of understanding of the relative importance of one attribute to another (i.e., how divers make tradeoffs) and as a result provides little insight to participants’ actual management preferences. Stated Preference conjoint models are based on the assumption that complex decisions are based not on one factor or criterion but on several factors considered jointly and make use of hypothetical scenarios to derive recreationists’ preferences.

This research project is being conducted using a community-based context. We have met with a group of stakeholders from the Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary (FGBNMS) to better understand the potential SCUBA diving impacts on coral resources and the various management alternatives available for dealing with the impacts. From this, we identified salient issues and management techniques. Now, we are in the survey phase of this project.

Management of marine protected areas (MPAs) and coral reefs is moving toward a new paradigm in which the greatest challenges faced involve the management of people as well as resources. This will require a much greater understanding of users, their use of MPA resources, and their support for various management alternatives. An understanding of the relationship between people and MPAs is essential for both protecting resources in an unimpaired state for future generations and providing recreational opportunities for present generations.

This project is titled “Using Stated Preference Choice Experiments to Analyze SCUBA Diver Preferences for Coral Reef Conservation” and has been funded by the Coral Reef Management Program of the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation in Washington, D.C. with additional funding support from the Texas Agricultural Experiment Station, Texas A&M University System.

The project began on January 1, 2004 and will conclude on December 31, 2004. Dr. Robert B. Ditton (r-ditton@tamu.edu) is the Principal Investigator for this project and Michael Sorice (m-sorice@tamu.edu) is the Research Assistant. Both are affiliated with the Department of Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences at Texas A&M University, College Station, TX.

Edited by WreckWench, 07 June 2004 - 10:09 PM.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 DivingGal

DivingGal

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster.... love looking at critters, but enjoy wrecks when I can't
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 17 May 2004 - 07:15 AM

Bring it on... if they want a Canuck's view point.... Apparently to some, we're a different species :D
Sometimes, you just gotta be

#3 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 17 May 2004 - 07:31 AM

Darlin'

Where's the survey?
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#4 DivingGal

DivingGal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster.... love looking at critters, but enjoy wrecks when I can't
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 17 May 2004 - 07:34 AM

Darlin'

Where's the survey?

I made the assumption it would have to be sent to us via e-mail. That's how I participate in other national surveys.
Sometimes, you just gotta be

#5 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 17 May 2004 - 07:44 AM

I'd be cool with it as well.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#6 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 17 May 2004 - 07:46 AM

Maybe, but if so, we'll need to get our e0-mail addresses to them somehow. I'm not comfortable posting mine in an open forum.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#7 SuperDave

SuperDave

• PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 09:04 AM

Well WW you can count me in on the survey. Especially if its painless.

SD
Member of Sikorsky Light Utility Taxi Service Kuwait

#8 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,671 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 17 May 2004 - 09:59 AM

Well I was just getting some feel for if people would or would not participate! It looks like the response is favorable.

My plan was to email the survey via our system to each member and then let them return them directly to the college or to me and I'll forward to the college for them if they wished to keep their emails private.

Does that sound like it would work? -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#9 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 17 May 2004 - 10:05 AM

Well I was just getting some feel for if people would or would not participate! It looks like the response is favorable.

My plan was to email the survey via our system to each member and then let them return them directly to the college or to me and I'll forward to the college for them if they wished to keep their emails private.

Does that sound like it would work? -ww

Works well for me...
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#10 maxdvr

maxdvr

• PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Cert Level:s.s.i. centry diver/rescue diver.. padi divemaster
  • Logged Dives:142 at last count

Posted 17 May 2004 - 10:20 AM

count me in....anything to help this sport i love so much
Posted Image
if your not living on the edge...your takin up to much space

landlocked by misfortune

"Kindness to others is the rent we pay for our time on Earth". - Muhammad Ali

#11 zendiver

zendiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  • Cert Level:AI
  • Logged Dives:1011

Posted 17 May 2004 - 10:23 AM

DITTO
[color=blue]Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"WOW--What a ride!"

#12 hnladue

hnladue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Adv Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:enough

Posted 17 May 2004 - 10:30 AM

Anything for WW!!! I'm in!
Sempar Partus!!

#13 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 17 May 2004 - 01:15 PM

i don't really have a choice! :teeth: i'm in.

#14 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 17 May 2004 - 01:20 PM

I'm in!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#15 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 17 May 2004 - 01:58 PM

count me in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users