• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

National Scuba Survey...Only 15 people care?

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#31 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,671 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 26 May 2004 - 03:03 PM

Ok here is the deal....

If you want to participate in this valuable study you will need to email Michael Sorice (michael.sorice@tamu.edu) with your mailing address and the survey will be mailed to you. (This is to ensure quality control in response measurements.)

You fill it out and mail it back to Michael Sorice, PhD candidate and principal investigator for this project. Upon completion of the study your contact informtion will be destroyed as per the requirements of Texas A&M.

A&M needs 100 more respondents and I think we can provide them that just from Single Divers alone! Please consider helping out! -Kamala aka Wreck Wench

Letter from Michael:

Little research has been done on SCUBA divers and their preferences for various management alternatives for protecting underwater resources like corals. As a result, managers often take action on their own and without input from the diving community.

I'm a Ph.D. candidate at Texas A&M University (USA) doing research on SCUBA diver preferences for coral reef management. We're looking for U.S. residents over 18 yrs. old and who have saltwater diving experience to participate.

Participation consists of filling out a questionnaire. It should take less than 15 minutes to complete. If you are interested in participating, please send your snail mail address in an email to michael.sorice@tamu.edu. This research is being conducted by Texas A&M University so any information you provide will be strictly confidential and used solely for the purpose of this project.

If you want to know more about the project, check out:

http://lutra.tamu.ed...atprefflyer.htm

This is your chance to provide reef managers with input from the SCUBA community!

Thanks for your help!

Mike

Michael Sorice
Texas A&M University
Department of Wildlife & Fisheries Sciences
Human Dimensions Lab
2258 TAMU
College Station, TX 77845-2258

Summary of the Study:

Understanding SCUBA Diver Preferences for Coral Reef Conservation

As an increasing number of SCUBA divers impact coral reef resources, managers are faced with the need to take action to reduce or eliminate the problem. The aim of this project is to help decision makers understand SCUBA diver preferences for protecting coral resources, how divers decide between management measures, and which combinations of management measures would have the most overall support in the sport diver community.

The study’s objectives are to (1) identify realistic management measures for protecting coral resources salient to SCUBA divers, (2) evaluate the relative importance of each measure to divers, (3) estimate the importance of options for each management measure, (4) estimate the aggregate importance of management scenarios based on various combinations of the management measures, and (5) examine the potential for applying this type of research in specific marine protected areas.

Traditional research designs for evaluating management preferences ask respondents to indicate the extent to which they prefer each individual management option. This can result in a lack of understanding of the relative importance of one attribute to another (i.e., how divers make tradeoffs) and as a result provides little insight to participants’ actual management preferences. Stated Preference conjoint models are based on the assumption that complex decisions are based not on one factor or criterion but on several factors considered jointly and make use of hypothetical scenarios to derive recreationists’ preferences.

This research project is being conducted using a community-based context. We have met with a group of stakeholders from the Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary (FGBNMS) to better understand the potential SCUBA diving impacts on coral resources and the various management alternatives available for dealing with the impacts. From this, we identified salient issues and management techniques. Now, we are in the survey phase of this project.

Management of marine protected areas (MPAs) and coral reefs is moving toward a new paradigm in which the greatest challenges faced involve the management of people as well as resources. This will require a much greater understanding of users, their use of MPA resources, and their support for various management alternatives. An understanding of the relationship between people and MPAs is essential for both protecting resources in an unimpaired state for future generations and providing recreational opportunities for present generations.

This project is titled “Using Stated Preference Choice Experiments to Analyze SCUBA Diver Preferences for Coral Reef Conservation” and has been funded by the Coral Reef Management Program of the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation in Washington, D.C. with additional funding support from the Texas Agricultural Experiment Station, Texas A&M University System.

The project began on January 1, 2004 and will conclude on December 31, 2004. Dr. Robert B. Ditton (r-ditton@tamu.edu) is the Principal Investigator for this project and Michael Sorice (m-sorice@tamu.edu) is the Research Assistant. Both are affiliated with the Department of Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences at Texas A&M University, College Station, TX.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#32 tamumike

tamumike

Getting started

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 08:33 PM

Hey everyone!

I'm the one doing the study on divers for A&M. I can't believe the great response so far!!!

I wish we had the capacity to post the survey to a website but we don't. We'll be able to do it for our next research project though. So, if you don't mind emailing me at michael.sorice@tamu.edu with your snail mail address, I'll send you a survey.

Also, feel free to ask me any questions.

I promise to make this as painless as possible!

#33 tamumike

tamumike

Getting started

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 02:46 PM

P.S. When you email me, let me know you're from Singledivers.com. I have a wager with WreckWench about how many people we can get to participate from this site!!

#34 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,671 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 07:17 PM

P.S. When you email me, let me know you're from Singledivers.com.  I have a wager with WreckWench about how many people we can get to participate from this site!!

Hint Hint!!! The more people who participate the more likely I'll win...he did say something about marrying me but I'm not sure if that was if I won the bet or lost???? :wakawaka: So just in case....I think I get to choose if I win, therefore....PLEASE volunteer to help Mike out so Single Divers will rule when it comes to diving conscience, ecology loving, civic minded divers!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#35 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 31 May 2004 - 07:51 PM

P.S. When you email me, let me know you're from Singledivers.com. I have a wager with WreckWench about how many people we can get to participate from this site!!

OK, Mike- you've already gotten my info- Marvel- now be sure you do a fair count.... :wakawaka:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#36 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,671 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 07:56 PM

Hey Mike...keep us posted on how many have participated.....we all love a contest! And don't forget to add me! LOL!!! -ww

formerly...

#37 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 31 May 2004 - 08:01 PM

I sent him my info.

#38 tamumike

tamumike

Getting started

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 06:27 PM

Hey Mike...keep us posted on how many have participated.....we all love a contest! And don't forget to add me! LOL!!! -ww

Hey everyone!

From what I can tell, we have less than 15 participants from singledivers.com. (I'm keeping a separate list for you guys.)
I've got Marvel, but I can't tell if I have chinacat46 on the list or not (so let me know)

Do your part to save WreckWench from the terrible, terrible, wretched, ignomious fate that will befall her if singledivers.com doesn't get 100 participants...
:dltears: jk!

Remember to put "singledivers" somewhere in the message to gets counted!!

#39 TheSassyRabbit

TheSassyRabbit

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster/Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:>750

Posted 07 June 2004 - 06:59 PM

Hola! Always willing to help a fellow Aggie (uh.... um... yah... for non-Texans, that's the distinguished title for Texas A&M grads :-)

SR

#40 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,671 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 09:00 PM

Hey everyone!

From what I can tell, we have less than 15 participants from singledivers.com. (I'm keeping a separate list for you guys.)
I've got Marvel, but I can't tell if I have chinacat46 on the list or not (so let me know)

Do your part to save WreckWench from the terrible, terrible, wretched, ignomious fate that will befall her if singledivers.com doesn't get 100 participants...
:dltears: jk!

Remember to put "singledivers" somewhere in the message to gets counted!!

Yes ChinaCat is one our ours....only 15...that is pitiful....where are you all when I need you????? ww

formerly...

#41 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 07 June 2004 - 09:08 PM

i'm one of em.

well, ok, with all MY personalities, i probably account for 7 or 8....

#42 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 07 June 2004 - 09:29 PM

i'm one of em.

well, ok, with all MY personalities, i probably account for 7 or 8....

Good job TF- boost those numbers for us! Now- where are the rest of you guys????
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#43 sapphire

sapphire

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 10:39 PM

I'm one of them too... plus I am sending it to my other diving friends... not all are singles, lol!

#44 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 08 June 2004 - 06:16 AM

I signed up. Lets go U all said you want to take the survey.

#45 rhondajc18

rhondajc18

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:128

Posted 08 June 2004 - 07:46 AM

I'm in now
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users