• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Gotta Love the Navy Seals!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
54 replies to this topic

#16 ScubaCutie

ScubaCutie

Getting started

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 12:51 PM

I have an IQ of 48 which makes me legally retarded in most states. I read it as a joke. I would say we need to relax a little but maybe Christmas or the equivallent was to stressful on everyone.

It was funny. I know there was no political/religious agenda in ScubaCutie writing it. I wouldn't punch the prof but would do my best to get him fired.

SD

Thanks SuperDave. Knowing you are in the military makes me feel better as I did not want to offend anyone. This is as you guessed a joke. I hope everyone takes it as such. Thank you.

#17 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 27 December 2005 - 01:10 PM

It was obviously a joke, but perhaps one in bad taste.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#18 SuperDave

SuperDave

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 01:16 PM

Some may think so but I don't. I have seen things on this board which irk me more than this ever will. Here's an idea, if someone doesn't like something let a mod know. Mod pulls the post if it is against the rules which are posted.
Been seeing to much bad blood on all web boards I subscribe to, must be the time of year.
Member of Sikorsky Light Utility Taxi Service Kuwait

#19 AliKat

AliKat

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 01:35 PM

I'm with Dave. There have been a lot of other things on this board that have bothered me much more than this. I find a lot of things funny that involve things I would never do.
"

#20 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 27 December 2005 - 01:46 PM

I have an IQ of 48 which makes me legally retarded in most states. I read it as a joke. I would say we need to relax a little but maybe Christmas or the equivallent was to stressful on everyone.

Yes, Chrismas must have been very stressful for that SEAL.

I wouldn't punch the prof but would do my best to get him fired.

SD

And upon what would you base your claim that he should be fired? That he was trying to get his students to think? To perhaps teach them something before some self-righteous neanderthal sucker punched him? Your attitude is one of the reasons teachers and professors have tenure. So that the "cause de jour" does not overcome common sense.

If something on any board bothers me, I will state my views plainly and not go crying to the mods. Unless it was an obvious infraction of TOS, (name calling, profanity, etc). We are all grownups here, aren't we? We do live in a country where free speech is a protected right, don't we?

Edited by Fairybasslet, 27 December 2005 - 02:00 PM.

#21 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 27 December 2005 - 01:50 PM

Some may think so but I don't. I have seen things on this board which irk me more than this ever will. Here's an idea, if someone doesn't like something let a mod know. Mod pulls the post if it is against the rules which are posted.
Been seeing to much bad blood on all web boards I subscribe to, must be the time of year.

I am against calling for censor. But if I were to post a story where someone is beaten because they express a belief in Christianity or God, I'll bet it's yanked quick. I've TAed classes in religion where people have become very irate because their belief system was called into question by comparing it to others. Having been attacked physically and verbally for my beliefs - I felt (and still feel) I had to respond.
I am all for the rights of people to post items that may be irksome to me, but I reserve the right to respond to the post. I don't see any "bad blood" here, unless I am offending people by defending my beliefs. I, for one, hold no hostility, animosity or "bad blood" to anyone involved in this thread. :welcome:
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#22 finley

finley

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW (plus EMT Training)
  • Logged Dives:45

Posted 27 December 2005 - 01:59 PM

He didn't get beat up for what he said. He got what he asked for. It was just delivered indirectly from God. :welcome:

No, it was delivered by a human who thinks he's acting in behalf of God. Kind of like how the suicide bombers feel.

Jesus also said he was acting on God's behalf....the bible tells us not only to follow his word but to keep it Holy
who's leading this parade anyway?

#23 SuperDave

SuperDave

• PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 02:01 PM

I doubt this ever happened.
Her joke doesn't make me want to punch someone.
I pay hard earned money to learn, the last thing I want is some self righteous clown spouting his non
relevant opinion.

#24 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 27 December 2005 - 02:04 PM

I doubt this ever happened.
Her joke doesn't make me want to punch someone.
I pay hard earned money to learn, the last thing I want is some self righteous clown spouting his non
relevant opinion.

Non relevant or non reverent?
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#25 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 27 December 2005 - 02:06 PM

Unless it was a class about religion, it wasn't relevent.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#26 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 02:07 PM

Jesus also said he was acting on God's behalf....the bible tells us not only to follow his word but to keep it Holy

Not being a Christian (or particularly religious anyway) I don't take anything that was supposedly said by any historic figure who claims divine intervention very seriously. Besides, if some dude were walking around today saying that God is talking to him, he would either be locked up in some insane asylum somewhere or be shouting from some soapbox on the corner of 8th and 42nd St. I've seen plenty of people there claiming that God is speaking to them.

#27 SuperDave

SuperDave

• PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 02:07 PM

Non relevant or non reverent?

I see your stir stick is is as big as mine. :welcome:

#28 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 02:10 PM

Unless it was a class about religion, it wasn't relevent.

When I was in college, professors pontificated about many subjects that were not "relevant" to the particular class. Those were some of the best classes because it gave me the chance to debate women's rights with a known chauvenist. And, I dare say, that is what college should still be about. A place to demonstrate your intellectual mettle and not regurgitate answers so you'll pass the exam and have a good GPA.

Edited by Fairybasslet, 27 December 2005 - 02:11 PM.

#29 AliKat

AliKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 02:11 PM

And upon what would you base your claim that he should be fired? That he was trying to get his students to think? To perhaps teach them something before some self-righteous neanderthal sucker punched him? Your attitude is one of the reasons teachers and professors have tenure. So that the "cause de jour" does not overcome common sense.

Seperation of Church and state. I don't see where this was a religion class, and, the prof being a self proclaimed athiest, he was using his position to push his views. And, after all, the whole seperation of Church and state thing was actually to protect the Church from the state, not the other way around.
"

#30 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 02:15 PM

Seperation of Church and state. I don't see where this was a religion class, and, the prof being a self proclaimed athiest, he was using his position to push his views. And, after all, the whole seperation of Church and state thing was actually to protect the Church from the state, not the other way around.

OK, now you have to get into whether or not the professor was teaching at a private institution, such as Yale, in which case your argument of separation of church and state doesn't hold water, or a state funded university, in which case, you might have a case, but I sincerely doubt it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users