• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Gotta Love the Navy Seals!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
54 replies to this topic

#31 AliKat

AliKat

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 02:15 PM

Jesus also said he was acting on God's behalf....the bible tells us not only to follow his word but to keep it Holy

Not being a Christian (or particularly religious anyway) I don't take anything that was supposedly said by any historic figure who claims divine intervention very seriously. Besides, if some dude were walking around today saying that God is talking to him, he would either be locked up in some insane asylum somewhere or be shouting from some soapbox on the corner of 8th and 42nd St. I've seen plenty of people there claiming that God is speaking to them.

Well, someone send the men in white coats to lock me up, quick. I'm not often on a soap box, but God and I have daily conversations. No, He doesn't tell me to punch people, or what lotto numbers to pick, or even speak to me audibly, but He does guide my daily walk.
"

#32 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 27 December 2005 - 02:20 PM

[quote name='SuperDave' date='Dec 27 2005, 02:07 PM' post='121884']
Non relevant or non reverent?
[/quote]

I see your stir stick is is as big as mine. :D
[/quote]
:lmao:

[quote]Seperation of Church and state. I don't see where this was a religion class, and, the prof being a self proclaimed athiest, he was using his position to push his views.[/quote]

But no where in the joke are we told it was not a class in religion or philosophy, sociology, anthropology psychology or any of the numerous classes where this would fit in. The Professor also never proclaims to be an Atheist. He may well be a Christian proving a point about how God does not act directly with our choices.

What if I were to tell a story about a professor that claimed that Heaven is better than Earth, so a SEAL killed him so he could go there quicker? What would the general view have been?
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#33 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 27 December 2005 - 02:25 PM

But no where in the joke are we told it was not a class in religion or philosophy, sociology, anthropology psychology or any of the numerous classes where this would fit in.

Hawk, it's not even a joke. It's a thinly disguised attempt at promoting one particular view of patriotism and religious belief. And all those who don't agree are unpatriotic heathens. It's getting very old.

#34 SuperDave

SuperDave

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 02:29 PM

Your joke sucks. That's not funny but ScubaCutie's was. I wonder if that was the purpose of the joke?

One can never make everyone happy all the time. Maybe its time for a poll to see if anyone other than the 6 of us has an opinion.

Vote now! Unlike government elections your vote counts!!!!!!

A:funny or B:offensive.

Edited by SuperDave, 27 December 2005 - 02:29 PM.

Member of Sikorsky Light Utility Taxi Service Kuwait

#35 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 27 December 2005 - 02:38 PM

Jesus also said he was acting on God's behalf....the bible tells us not only to follow his word but to keep it Holy

Not being a Christian (or particularly religious anyway) I don't take anything that was supposedly said by any historic figure who claims divine intervention very seriously. Besides, if some dude were walking around today saying that God is talking to him, he would either be locked up in some insane asylum somewhere or be shouting from some soapbox on the corner of 8th and 42nd St. I've seen plenty of people there claiming that God is speaking to them.

Well, I am Christian, but I still believe the basic concept behind the joke is wrong and dangerous. I have no right to force my beliefs on another and noone has a right to force their beliefs on me.

Seperation of Church and state.

No where in the Constitution does it say "separation of church and state." That phrase came from a letter written by Thomas Jefferson. As much as I admire the man, I don't believe everything he wrote is law just because he wrote it. The Constitution states, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...." There's a big difference between that and saying a professor can't discuss religion at a state university.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#36 finley

finley

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW (plus EMT Training)
  • Logged Dives:45

Posted 27 December 2005 - 02:40 PM

Your joke sucks. That's not funny but ScubaCutie's was. I wonder if that was the purpose of the joke?

One can never make everyone happy all the time. Maybe its time for a poll to see if anyone other than the 6 of us has an opinion.

Vote now! Unlike government elections your vote counts!!!!!!

A:funny or B:offensive.

OOOH Super Dave calm down.....every joke told on this website has an audience that is split between hilarity and offensiveness and all shades in between....I see nothing in this joke BLATANTLY offensive...its kind of like TV..you don't like it .change the channel or turn it off no need to be blatantly rude to the joke teller.
who's leading this parade anyway?

#37 AliKat

AliKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 02:48 PM

[quote]Seperation of Church and state. I don't see where this was a religion class, and, the prof being a self proclaimed athiest, he was using his position to push his views.[/quote]

The Professor also never proclaims to be an Atheist. He may well be a Christian proving a point about how God does not act directly with our choices.

What if I were to tell a story about a professor that claimed that Heaven is better than Earth, so a SEAL killed him so he could go there quicker? What would the general view have been?
[/quote]

OK, it doesn't say "self-proclaimed" athiest, it says "avowed", but it does say the guy is an athiest.

I think there is big difference between punching someone and killing them, but that kinda makes my point. An athiest (and the joke does make this point clear) can use his/her position to push his/her views, but if a Christian tried it, public or private (unless Christian) school, they wouldn't have a job for long. I just think we need to allow both, or allow neither.

You're right Walter, its not in the constitution, I never said it was. But, law or not, isn't it used ALL the time to keep Christianity out of public institutions? Why can't it be used to shut up an athiest as well? Its like all the discrimination suits. Wouldn't it be fun to see a white male sue for dicrimation? It happens all the time; at least in the military (discrimination agianst white males, not the law suits...yet)
"

#38 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 27 December 2005 - 02:49 PM

An athiest (and the joke does make this point clear) can use his/her position to push his/her views, but if a Christian tried it, public or private (unless Christian) school, they wouldn't have a job for long. I just think we need to allow both, or allow neither.

I'm not sure you're right about consequences. I do agree all should be held to the same standard.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#39 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 27 December 2005 - 02:57 PM

Give me a little credit, no joke is funny in synopsis - If I did the full version with set-up, anticipation and climax, it would be a better joke :D

AliKat, I notice you capitalize Christian but not Atheist, seems a little unfair.

Additional note: I have been in many college classes where various religious agendas were expressed by professors. It is assumed that at the college level students are mature enough to handle it.

As much fun as I am having with this topic, I have work to do, I'll chime back later tonight. Ya'll take care. :lmao:

Edited by ScubaHawk, 27 December 2005 - 02:58 PM.

Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#40 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 03:09 PM

An athiest (and the joke does make this point clear) can use his/her position to push his/her views, but if a Christian tried it, public or private (unless Christian) school, they wouldn't have a job for long. I just think we need to allow both, or allow neither.
You're right Walter, its not in the constitution, I never said it was. But, law or not, isn't it used ALL the time to keep Christianity out of public institutions? Why can't it be used to shut up an athiest as well? Its like all the discrimination suits. Wouldn't it be fun to see a white male sue for dicrimation? It happens all the time; at least in the military (discrimination agianst white males, not the law suits...yet)

When I was in elementary school, a public school, we read from the Bible every morning and said the Lord's Prayer. There was no opting out of this for kids who did not practice this particular form of religion. This was just a little more than 30 years ago. This was ruled unconsititutional and now prayer is banned in public schools. But there are districts that won't let it go and still try enforce some "moment of silence" or other rouse. The civil rights act was not signed until the 1960's. This is around 40 years ago. Now, you calculate the discrimination that went on for the hundreds of years prior, and I think we have about another 300 years of "reverse discrimination" before things are just about equal. Besides, there have been quite a few law suits filed on behalf of white males who did not get into the law school or medical school they wanted to because of affirmative action. And this was only a few years after AA was established. We sure can't take many years of "discrimination" when we're on the receiving end, can we?

As much fun as I am having with this topic, I have work to do, I'll chime back later tonight. Ya'll take care. :lmao:

Too bad you don't have off, like I do.

Edited by Fairybasslet, 27 December 2005 - 03:54 PM.

#41 SuperDave

SuperDave

• PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 03:17 PM

I'm not excited just messing with Hawk.

"And this was only a few years after AA was established. We sure can't take many years of "discrimination" when we're on the receiving end, can we?"

I must owe the world an appology being born a middle class, white male, baptist (sorry God that we haven't talked in years), with a sick and twisted sense of humor. But with this against me I've found I only hate lazy people who refuse to become meaningful members of society. By the way they come in ALL colors! OK now I am pissed.

#42 Warthog

Warthog

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI OW, AOW, Rescue, Nitrox, & Night
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 27 December 2005 - 04:07 PM

Forget all the freedom of religion or expression stuff....What about the students' right to an education? If it's a 3 credit hour class, that's 36 'contact hours'. Not a lot of time in the grand scheme of things...and this professor is standing on a table for 15 minues?

Also, if you really want to go off on 'freedom'. What about the SEAL's right to express his openion? Violently, yes. However, a truely free society is Anarchy, survival of the fittest, no government or rules at all. Why is beating someone up for their beliefs any more 'opressive' than not being allowed to?

I'm not suggesting we should all run around with sidearms like the 'Old West'; but when I worked in DC (near The World Bank), I had a hard time with 'protestors' blocking my 'right' to get to work in the moring on more than one occasion.

The reality is that the government that protects our 'right' to express ourselves also doesn't allow us to drive too fast on an empty road, spend our money as we see fit (taxes --> redistribution of wealth), or work how we want to (labor laws). Yes, all three of those examples are things the government does to make our life better (except may for the taxes thing), but they are still forced upon us, wether we like it or not.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not an Anarchist or 'tree-hugging hippie'...actually I'm quite conservative. I'm just trying to present a different point of view.

-Warthog

#43 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 27 December 2005 - 04:25 PM

I think this joke is suffering from over-analysis.

Rick

The opposite of the religious fanatic is not the fanatical atheist but the gentle cynic who cares not whether there is a god or not.--Eric Hoffer (1902-1983)

#44 SuperDave

SuperDave

• PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 04:28 PM

Rick
:D

The opposite of the religious fanatic is not the fanatical atheist but the gentle cynic who cares not whether there is a god or not.--Eric Hoffer (1902-1983)

Ding! We have a winner! :lmao:

#45 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 05:22 PM

Rick

As long as we're using quotes: :D

I have too much respect for the idea of God to make it responsible for such an absurd world.

Georges Duhamel (1884 - 1966)

When I told the people of Northern Ireland that I was an atheist, a woman in the audience stood up and said, "Yes, but is it the God of the Catholics or the God of the Protestants in whom you don't believe?"

Quentin Crisp

Edited by Fairybasslet, 27 December 2005 - 05:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users