• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Looking to plan a trip with my teenaged son

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Basslet

Basslet

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:10 AM

And would really like to have him be with some other people his age. He is 16 and AOW, though he hasn't been diving since last April in Roatan. He still is a little wary of depth. I was thinking of taking him to Coz or maybe to Key Largo. Any other parents of teens feel like doing a trip somewhere?

#2 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:13 AM

Have you considered the concept that kids shouldn't go deep anyway?
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#3 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:17 AM

Depends upon what you mean by "deep." He thinks 80 ft is deep. So therefore, I would never take him to NC. I would like to dive the Spiegel but I would only do that with a guide or someone who knows the wreck well. I know that PADI has all kinds of precautions for kids, but he is 16, has his AOW, not his Jr. AOW, so I think that physically, he can handle depth. It's more of a mental thing for him.

#4 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Board Status:Ginnie Springs 12/17, Crystal River 12/18...
  • Cert Level:Cave
  • Logged Dives:522

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:31 AM

I smell SPRINGS!

nhb

Depends upon what you mean by "deep." He thinks 80 ft is deep. So therefore, I would never take him to NC. I would like to dive the Spiegel but I would only do that with a guide or someone who knows the wreck well. I know that PADI has all kinds of precautions for kids, but he is 16, has his AOW, not his Jr. AOW, so I think that physically, he can handle depth. It's more of a mental thing for him.

#5 konascubagirl

konascubagirl

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:32 AM

And would really like to have him be with some other people his age. He is 16 and AOW, though he hasn't been diving since last April in Roatan. He still is a little wary of depth. I was thinking of taking him to Coz or maybe to Key Largo. Any other parents of teens feel like doing a trip somewhere?

Bring him to Hawaii! Specifically, to Kona! We don't have any wrecks, but lots of fun swim-throughs, animals, etc. All found in 60 or less feet of water! As a bonus, my son is 14 and they could "hang". :birthday:

KSG

#6 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:39 AM

[quote name='konascubagirl' post='125425' date='Jan 24 2006, 11:32 AM'][quote name='Fairybasslet' post='125414' date='Jan 24 2006, 06:10 AM']
And would really like to have him be with some other people his age. He is 16 and AOW, though he hasn't been diving since last April in Roatan. He still is a little wary of depth. I was thinking of taking him to Coz or maybe to Key Largo. Any other parents of teens feel like doing a trip somewhere?[/quote]

Bring him to Hawaii! Specifically, to Kona! We don't have any wrecks, but lots of fun swim-throughs, animals, etc. All found in 60 or less feet of water! As a bonus, my son is 14 and they could "hang". :birthday:

KSG
[/quote]
I would love to, but air fare??? Oy

[quote name='normblitch' date='Jan 24 2006, 11:31 AM' post='125424']
I smell SPRINGS!

nhb

I never thought of that. That would be cool for him?

#7 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Board Status:Ginnie Springs 12/17, Crystal River 12/18...
  • Cert Level:Cave
  • Logged Dives:522

Posted 24 January 2006 - 11:19 AM

From what you have told me about him, he would prolly drain an entire 80 lying on his back in the Bowl at Ginnie, if he was there when the civilians start showing up...the view up to the surface can be, shall we say, interesting to a Male Diver??

http://www.pbase.com.../image/27251319
http://www.pbase.com...27251314/medium

:birthday:

Norm

so THAT is why he does so much deco apres' the Ballroom

I smell SPRINGS!

nhb

I never thought of that. That would be cool for him?

#8 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 01:08 PM

I think you're right. He'd definitely like that view. :cool2:

#9 ScubaGypsy

ScubaGypsy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 24 January 2006 - 05:11 PM

I have 3 sons who were certified as PADI Jr OW divers in July 2004. Their current ages are 15, 13 and 11 and they have approximately 50, 40 and 25 logged dives each. My oldest became AOW certified with night, navigation and equipment specialties in August 2005.

Although the boys live and were certified in Newport, RI, the majority of their dives have been in Florida with the exception of a couple of dives in NC. We've dove most of the tourist Florida Keys sites from Key Largo to Key West that are shallower than 60'. One of their first dives was on the Christ statue as well as the popular reef sites. We've also done a number of springs sites including Blue Grotto, Devils Den, Vortex Springs, Crystal River and Forty Fathom Grotto. My oldest even did a video at Crystal River while he was snorkeling with his underwater digital camera and my second son was petting a manatee (http://media.putfile.com/Crystal-River). I haven't brought them to Ginny Springs yet because there is a minimum age requirement of 12 so we are planning on going there for their 2006 Christmas vacation.

With the variety of sites that we have visited, they definitely seem to prefer the ocean sites but these are so weather dependent that we've decided to do the springs in the winters to ensure that we get our dives in. They also seem to prefer wrecks but to date we have done only shallower ones such as Joes Tug in Key West, Indra in NC and Black Bart in Panama City as I want them to gain more training and experience. The older two are much stronger divers and in fact, my oldest wants to pursue a career of underwater photography.

Our next trip will be in April and will likely be either the Florida Keys or Panama City. For next summer, we're currently thinking of doing a two-week trip to one of the Great Lakes where we can do some shallower wreck dives.

Diving with my boys has certainly been one of the greatest pleasures of my life and has given each of them new confidence as well as a genuine love of the sea.
The sea is everything........Its breath is pure and healthy. It is an immense desert, where man is never lonely, for he feels life stirring on all sides. The sea is only the embodiment of a supernatural and wonderful existence. It is nothing but love and emotion; it is the 'Living Infinite,' ..........

Capt. Nemo...........20,000 Leagues under the Sea

#10 divrgal

divrgal

Getting started

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Divemaster in training
  • Logged Dives:49

Posted 02 September 2006 - 06:46 AM

Hi,
I have a son about the same age. If you come to Florida let me know.

#11 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 07:47 AM

I was perusing "new posts" and saw this one pop up and wondered who started the thread. Surprise! It was me! I can't believe I was so silly as to think I could have a pleasant time with my son. ARRGHH!! What a pain he still is. Took him to Bonaire last week and just let me say, it's going to be a cold day in hell before I take him anywhere again. :)
Of course, I say this now but I do have a trip to FL cave country planned, but I may leave him home. :diver:

#12 divrgal

divrgal

Getting started

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Divemaster in training
  • Logged Dives:49

Posted 06 September 2006 - 07:28 PM

Hi there,
I have a son who is almost 16. Being from landlocked Oklahoma he has only dove once on a DSD dive. I am currently working on my Divemaster and am completely hooked on diving. I would love to take him to the diving in the Keys (tons to see without having to go deeper than 30ft). I am going to try to get him certified in the next couple of weeks. When are you considering a trip? Penny

#13 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:22 AM

When are you considering a trip? Penny

Not any time soon Penny. 1) I'm broke. 2) He is a pain to be around. LOL

#14 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:58 AM

Why are you trying to "be around him" at age 16? I'm POSITIVE he could find plenty to entertain himself at Ginnie Springs while you did your own thing. He coud go tubing, girl watching, diving, canoeing, girl watching, kayaking, girl watching, etc.

#15 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 01:11 PM

Why are you trying to "be around him" at age 16? I'm POSITIVE he could find plenty to entertain himself at Ginnie Springs while you did your own thing. He coud go tubing, girl watching, diving, canoeing, girl watching, kayaking, girl watching, etc.

:) Yeah, yesterday my son calls me at work and asks me to leave early so that I can take him to pick up his EMT uniform before the store closes. I told him I couldn't leave work early and to ask one of his friend to take him. And he says "Don't you think I would have asked my friends before I asked you?" LOL Well, excuuusseee me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users