• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Dive the Turn Blue Hole

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 DandyDon

DandyDon

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 19 March 2004 - 01:09 PM

And Perch Lake, too - Oh My! :-D

Hey, when you live on the High Desert, and you don't want to acquire water borne infections, this is the best we have for practice around here. It's okay, though, always 62 degrees, always clear from new water - except where the AOW students stir up the bottom. It's pretty exciting there on historic Route 66, and the night life is in a league of its own! :missu:

Let's see, the last weekend of April looks good for me - halfway beween my March Key Largo trip and my May Channeal Islands trip. Anyone wanta' meet me there...?
:idea:

Dandy Don Patton!

Edited by DandyDon, 19 March 2004 - 01:54 PM.

What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#2 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 19 March 2004 - 01:39 PM

Don,

Tell us a tad about what we can expect there.

Walter
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#3 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 04:15 PM

Don,

Tell us a tad about what we can expect there.

Walter

Not much, really. Beats nothing for those of us up here on the Llno Esacado and beyond.

It is an altitude dive - 4600 feet rounded up to 5000, so allowances must be made for that. The sink hole is 84 feet to the grate, with a million gallons a day coming in to keep things clean. There is one real grave at the grate, and I think there may be a golf ball idol set up on the wall somewhere. I was going to look for it last time, but forgot. It's a little spooky under the overhangs, especially with the sun low in the sky this time of year. Bring lights!

Perch Lake is maybe 50 foot deep, spring fed, wider - has a small plane in the middle. Santa Rosa has great TexMex food, freshair. Rustic, northern New Mexico town. A site of one of Coronado's winter camps is a few miles south.

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#4 coppermaus

coppermaus

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, working on DM

Posted 19 March 2004 - 04:42 PM

Walter, see the links in my "There goes the neighborhood" post. Didn't know about this thread, or I would've put it here instead.

My group is going down again the last weekend in April, so the other thing you could expect to see there is me either sporting some new exposure suit or freezing my insulation off in a ratty rental (shooting for the former). The group from Boulder is usually a fun crowd, since most of 'em are college students and can make the most of an abandoned stretch of post-interstate Americana. Mainly talking about night life here, since during the day we're busy getting their OW dives done.

If nothing else, Don, looks like we'll get to say hey in person!

:twist:
coppermaus

#5 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 04:46 PM

Hey, Jerry! Road trip, April 24-25 :(

Hmmm? Should we just book "Joseph's" bar ourselves for a private party & DJ? You low land Texans coming? Don't forget to allow for the altitude difference... :twist:

Edited by DandyDon, 19 March 2004 - 05:45 PM.

#6 jjrichardson

jjrichardson

Getting started

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 10:10 AM

Now your thinking.

So you don't have a party this weekend.

well, MAKE ONE!!!

Josephs' @ Santa Rosa Live D.J. Till 2:00.

Last weekend in April

Dive in Clear, Cool, Clean, Water

(See Son's of the Pioneers for sound track)

Dance the night away after your OW, AOW, Nitrox, Certs.

Dive, Dance, Romance, & Certify.

What a Country!!!

#7 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 22 March 2004 - 10:19 AM

(See Son's of the Pioneers for sound track)

I thought I was the only one who remembered them. Our age is showing.

Walter
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#8 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 12:57 PM

I'll call Joseph's and see how much he'll charge to book a private party & DJ...?

You low-landers coming...?

Edited by DandyDon, 22 March 2004 - 12:57 PM.

#9 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 22 March 2004 - 01:50 PM

Hey...I've read we have a possible shindig the last weekend in April..what else are the details?

How many people coming so far that we know of?
Does anyone know where you stay and what it might cost to do the hotel thing?
Or do people camp?
What does the diving cost?

You know...all the details...I can see that Jerry has worked out the entertainment! LOL!!!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#10 coppermaus

coppermaus

• PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 03:38 PM

I'll call Joseph's and see how much he'll charge to book a private party & DJ...?

If you wanna, go for it. As long as I'm invited to the party!

It costs $8 per day to dive in the BH - that's with your own gear. Not sure about rentals. The hotel we stay in is almost camping but only $15 a night. Lots of other hotels in town, more in the $30-40 pn range, and in much better shape.

As far as who's going from this site, sounds like me, Jerry and Don so far. I'll be bringing 30-40 of my closest friends (I mean students, DMs and instructors - fun fun crowd), probably hitting town close to 11pm Friday and staying til Sunday afternoon. If we have a lot of advanced students, we may come down a day early.

Jerry and Don - where do y'all usually stay? When would you be showing up?
coppermaus

#11 jjrichardson

jjrichardson

Getting started

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 05:03 PM

Santa Rosa is all hotels , I haven't stayed at the $15.00 yet but there are lots of the usual 60, 70$ places too.
If you really want to know ask Don.

He has been there more than me. But from what I have seen a place to stay is not a problem.

If you need a place to try out your 7 mm simi dry this is the place. Don't forget your good gloves and hood. Don can tell you about his 3mm shorty over a 3mm long experiance. A woman asked him if he would be interested in a dry suit, he was very tempted. Don has a new simi dry 7 for this time. Don't forget your funnel!!

PARTY ON Y'ALL
More Dive = More Fun!!!
Jerry

#12 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 05:14 PM

You're supposed to pay to dive the BH? I never have! But I do get my air from Stella - $5 a bottle, including tank use. And she can call the city employee to unlock the gate to Perch Lake, but then - if you have Navigation students, I guess you'll be going out there.

$15 a night....?! Where? That include roach traps? I've always stayed at the Best Western, but Jer's going to try the Super Duper 8 this weekend. Anyway, just bring money; we'll put it to good use.

With the weather warming up, it won't be so cold over all. Last time, the weather was cold, and I got chilled chaning Jerry's flat, then never did warm up. I've worn that outfit in colder before. Anyway, it's always 62 degrees, so neoprene beanie, gloves and booties are good ideas, with warm after dive wear, warm liquids to drink, and like Jer said - Your Funnels!

Anyway, while the lowlanders have been taling about a date, we have one. Hope some of them come... :blink:

Edited by DandyDon, 22 March 2004 - 05:15 PM.

#13 coppermaus

coppermaus

• PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 05:33 PM

$15 a night....?!  Where?  That include roach traps?  I've always stayed at the Best Western, but Jer's going to try the Super Duper 8 this weekend.  Anyway, just bring money; we'll put it to good use.

Hey, I go there to dive. Might as well stay in one. $15 could be a special deal the instructor has worked out with the place, but I sure wouldn't pay a penny more! The two places you mention are good suggestions.

Anyway, while the lowlanders have been talking about a date, we have one.  Hope some of them come...  :)

Yeah, that'd be great. Would love to hang with the SD gang!
coppermaus

#14 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 22 March 2004 - 05:40 PM

Ok so all you experts...wanna give us some names and contact info or some super duper website that has all the details? Hey...find out more about the $15 rate...why pay 4 times that amount if you don't have too? I'm guessing the $15 rate is for a student special but certainly worth finding out. Maybe it is a bunkhouse arangement? All is fine just need to know what you can get and how you get it.

Thanks for all the help in putting this together. So about all the fun people coming from your diveshop or is a club in CO.....any of them single? LOL!!!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#15 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 06:36 PM

Hey, I go there to dive. Might as well stay in one. $15 could be a special deal the instructor has worked out with the place, but I sure wouldn't pay a penny more! The two places you mention are good suggestions.

Is that $15 a night per room/per night, or per person/per night. And Where do y'all stay...?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users