• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Questions about Lasik

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

• Guests

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:56 PM

I had my Lasik done a few days before 9/11 and went from an estimated 20/1200 in both eyes to 20/12 in both eyes. It corrected my mild astigmatism as well and I paid only $3600 total. Best $3600 I ever spent and a bargain. But a few years ago I had to see the optometrist again for glasses. I am still around 20/20-20/30 but it varies considerably based on dehydration, nutrition, sleep, and fatigue. Now I wear glasses for astigmatism mainly. That has returned. I can pass a drivers test without them 10 years later so that is good but after having "hawk eyes" it is very disturbing to me to need the glasses. I cannot read street signs at night and don't drive at night unless I know the area or I have my glasses. If it gets any worse I am considering having it done again. The price is fairly low and the pay off is very high in my opinion. Its funny, sometimes I can read the road names from far away and other times I can't read them if I am on them. The glasses seem to help.
  • WreckWench likes this

#17 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:10 PM

So far so good with me. Read 20-15 the last appt. There is a concern about the healing of the left flap that needs to be looked at again next week. The dryness is still an issue, but its tolerable. Part of it is living in such a dry climate as we have in Colorado. My Dr said it would be much easier if I lived say in Portland, OR.

#18 scubajunkie6

scubajunkie6

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Nitrox certified
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:03 PM

...If it gets any worse I am considering having it done again.

I didn't know you could have lasik done more than once! Is that common? Interesting topic! I only need glasses in presentations, when driving at night, or if I've had them on in the morning (then I really need to wear them all day). I've also found that if I do a lot of reading or studying, then anything at a distance is blurry. :-D

#19 AquaSpud

AquaSpud

Getting started

• Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Board Status:Just getting started
  • Cert Level:O.W. w/ alt. and drysuit cert.
  • Logged Dives:I was supposed to be logging them!?

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:47 AM

Hi All :hiya:/>

I am resurrecting this older thread in hopes of hearing your updates. I ask because I am a 50 yr. old male who is extremely near-sighted with a decent astigmatism and have been considering lasik. I am currently diving with two different proscription masks; one a single vision correction and the other is a duplicate of my everyday progressive glasses. They both work well for everyday diving but leave something to be desired for photography.

What I would like to know from those of you who have undergone the procedure is:
1. How long were you benched (kept from, diving)?
2. Any ongoing considerations you must be careful of as a diver?
3. Have you had to have any "touch-ups?"
4. Do you still/now find yourself needing to use cheaters (reading glasses)? And if so what does this mean to you while diving?
5. Would you do it again?

Thank you for taking the time read, and any replies you may leave:thankyou:/>

Joel aka AquaSpud
"SCUBA"... the ONLY activity demanding artificial life support to participate...

#20 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:38 AM

Hi All :hiya:/>/>/>/>

I am resurrecting this older thread in hopes of hearing your updates. I ask because I am a 50 yr. old male who is extremely near-sighted with a decent astigmatism and have been considering lasik. I am currently diving with two different proscription masks; one a single vision correction and the other is a duplicate of my everyday progressive glasses. They both work well for everyday diving but leave something to be desired for photography.

What I would like to know from those of you who have undergone the procedure is:
4. Do you still/now find yourself needing to use cheaters (reading glasses)? And if so what does this mean to you while diving?

Joel aka AquaSpud

Joel
Sorry for not replying sooner, but just got back from 11 days diving. I had lasik in Feb. 2009 (at age 57), with 20/600 vision, a slight astigmatism, plus ever increasing changes to 'reading' prescriptions. The answer to your questions - [1] It wasn't an issue for me, as I didn't go on a dive trip until 6 months later. [2] None. [3] & [4] No. [5] I wish I had done it sooner. I had no problems following a pontohi pygymy seahorse [about 4mm] as he swam on a boomie.

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#21 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:44 PM

Does anyone know if you can have lasik on top of RK the older precursor to Lasik? I had RK surgery many years ago but need to fix a problem that has developed due to 'over correction' via the RK process.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#22 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

Hi All :hiya:/>/>

Joel aka AquaSpud

1) I was out of the water for about 5 months post surgery, but not sure what the actual requirement was.
2) None that I'm aware of
3) Two years out from surgery, no touch ups to this point. However, it has faded a bit. Started at 20/15 - 20/10.
4) I had my distance corrected to avoid needing bifocols. I while my near vision isn't as great, even the weakest cheaters are too strong at this point. But that day is coming.
5) Yes, Only wished I did it sooner.

#23 AquaSpud

AquaSpud

Getting started

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:41 AM

Joel
Sorry for not replying sooner, but just got back from 11 days diving. I had lasik in Feb. 2009 (at age 57), with 20/600 vision, a slight astigmatism, plus ever increasing changes to 'reading' prescriptions. The answer to your questions - [1] It wasn't an issue for me, as I didn't go on a dive trip until 6 months later. [2] None. [3] & [4] No. [5] I wish I had done it sooner. I had no problems following a pontohi pygymy seahorse [about 4mm] as he swam on a boomie.

Thank you ScubaTex! And No Worries!! But I am a bit jealous (11 days! Really? Where??)!

My astigmatism is more than "slight." Otherwise you match my profile pretty well. Any suggestions on how to choose a surgeon?

What, may I ask, is a "boomie?"

Joel
"SCUBA"... the ONLY activity demanding artificial life support to participate...

#24 AquaSpud

AquaSpud

Getting started

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:51 AM

1) I was out of the water for about 5 months post surgery, but not sure what the actual requirement was.
3) Two years out from surgery, no touch ups to this point. However, it has faded a bit. Started at 20/15 - 20/10.
4) I had my distance corrected to avoid needing bifocols. I while my near vision isn't as great, even the weakest cheaters are too strong at this point. But that day is coming.

Thank you georoc01,

you said no touch ups yet... besides diving how are you seeing (sorry; no pun intended) now? Especially driving? Where do you notice the degradation the most?

Would you please elaborate on your #4) response? Was this at the time of the original surgery? Were there any sacrifices doing so?

Thank you for taking your time to share your own experience!!

Joel

#25 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:19 AM

Thank you georoc01,

you said no touch ups yet... besides diving how are you seeing (sorry; no pun intended) now? Especially driving? Where do you notice the degradation the most?

Would you please elaborate on your #4) response? Was this at the time of the original surgery? Were there any sacrifices doing so?

Thank you for taking your time to share your own experience!!

Joel

I am seeing very well. Like I said, my only issue is occasionaly reading like picking up the cell phone and trying to read an email as I wake up in the am. No issues with distance. Not exactly the eagle eyes I was after the surgery, but still much better than most of the people around me. Near vision in low light has become more an issue. Turn on a light, and I can read it fine. But sometimes in a low light bar/resturant, reading the bill can be virtually impossible.

As far as #4 goes. I wore glasses through college, wore contact lenses for the 20 years after that. But as I entered my 40's, my eye doctor started talking about what my plan would be for bifocols. We talked about one near and one far contact lens, for example. But it seemed to me, the best solution was the get the distance corrected via Lasik, fully realizing I would need readers at some point. I still find even the weakest readers too strong.

#26 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:58 PM

He was in Raj Ampat while we were in the Maldives for 12 days. A "bommie" is a sea mound or uprising out of the water that you can dive upon and they can resemble a small submerged island or similar to a pinnacle coming up out of the water. They are common in that part of the world.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#27 Sharklover

Sharklover

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:28 PM

One thing to consider is the degree of nearsightedness and your age and presence of presbyopia.
I am nearsighted, but not severely so. I often hang out at the beach with no correction at all, though i need corretion for driving, movies, TV, etc. My reading distance vision is clear WITHOUT correction.
When I correct both eyes for distance, I need to wear readers.
So if I did LASIK today, that would put me into readers right away. So for me, it is not worth doing LASIK and the trade off would be negative.
When I dive, I wear monovision contacts as I want to see near and far.
For whatever we lose (like a you or a me), it's always ourselves we find in the sea....ee cummings

#28 AquaSpud

AquaSpud

Getting started

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:00 AM

He was in Raj Ampat while we were in the Maldives for 12 days. A "bommie" is a sea mound or uprising out of the water that you can dive upon and they can resemble a small submerged island or similar to a pinnacle coming up out of the water. They are common in that part of the world.

Thank you (and I apologize for my "gaff"{boomie}) for clarifying "bommie." Sea mount, and/or underwater pinnacle both have meaning to me. Bit, by bit, I'm learning! Why couldn't school be this much fun??? :twist:/>

#29 AquaSpud

AquaSpud

Getting started

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:37 AM

One thing to consider is the degree of nearsightedness and your age and presence of presbyopia.
I am nearsighted, but not severely so. I often hang out at the beach with no correction at all, though i need corretion for driving, movies, TV, etc. My reading distance vision is clear WITHOUT correction.
When I correct both eyes for distance, I need to wear readers.
So if I did LASIK today, that would put me into readers right away. So for me, it is not worth doing LASIK and the trade off would be negative.
When I dive, I wear monovision contacts as I want to see near and far.

Nearsightedness is pretty big (diopters of 6.0 and 6.5 plus an astigmatism that makes contacts pretty worthless). I am fifty now and it has been, glasses on/ glasses off, getting out of/ getting into, bed since I was five years old. For me I would have to call them trifocals but for the lack of lines and a PC mandate to call them "progressives." God bless AARP! (Night vision I am "functional" but if I have to read a street sign I am "f"ed).

I currently dive with one of two masks. Each has a prescription ground lens (per eye) glued to the factory glass. One mask is based on the "distance" focal length (not sure what that means for someone who is nearsighted) and the other mask that is my full progressive scrip.

I love the idea (above/below water)being able to grab generic shades/mask and go. I just don't know if this is realistic. It doesn't seem worth while if I still have to reach for a correction mask and/or reader/cheaters to be able to see (though if I can feel good about driving at night again I might toss away my other "expectations").

Joel

#30 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:41 AM

Thank you (and I apologize for my "gaff"{boomie}) for clarifying "bommie." Sea mount, and/or underwater pinnacle both have meaning to me. Bit, by bit, I'm learning! Why couldn't school be this much fun??? :twist:/>/>

No worries...I only learned what it meant a few years ago...its a local term which is why its not 'descriptive' as you've noted. And I agree...I wish school had been this fun! Or other things I've decided to learn! LOL!

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users