• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Just Curious: Board Stats

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#16 Mishelle

Mishelle

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
  • Cert Level:My life is only complete when Im 150 ft deep!
  • Logged Dives:lost count....actually lost log too :(

Posted 11 September 2005 - 09:55 PM

So I see there are 3 anonymous users. What is that? Are people hiding? Why would people hide? Or are they a new membership level? Can someone explain? Im lost.

Oh, brother...this is something to worry about??

Seriously, why get upset about a function of the board anyway? You have the ability to sign in anonymous too

Do not belittle my question. I have a question and I asked it.
If you do not agree or have nothing positive to add, then perhaps you shouldnt post it here. Or PM me, or you can add that in the Suggestions forum.

Ladies there will be no belittlement of anyone on this site. In allowing both of you to poke some humor at the question, I fail to see where a personal attack has been made...yet. However we will certainly pull or modify any posts that do so. Thank you for your cooperation and support. -kamala

Not sure who was attacked?
:) Mishelle

The best day I ever had was face to face with a man and a shark, and wondering who was gonna bite me first- Poison Pen

Divers Wanted! Come dive with SD!!

#17 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 09:56 PM

Oh, oops, yes, there are both Guests and Anonymous.  Geez.  The world is complicated enough without such silly fine-grained distinctions.

Travis,

Guests are considered anyone who is either not a member, or members who have not logged in. If you're in *guest* mode, you cannot post.

Anonymous refers to members who HAVE logged in, and therefore can post, but choose not to be visible to others.

Mishelle and Dennis,

Thank you for the encouragement! Most appreciated!! :)

#18 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 11 September 2005 - 09:58 PM

So I see there are 3 anonymous users. What is that? Are people hiding? Why would people hide? Or are they a new membership level? Can someone explain? Im lost.

Seriously, why get upset about a function of the board anyway? You have the ability to sign in anonymous too

If you do not agree or have nothing positive to add, then perhaps you shouldnt post it here. Or PM me, or you can add that in the Suggestions forum.

Ladies there will be no belittlement of anyone on this site. In allowing both of you to poke some humor at the question, I fail to see where a personal attack has been made...yet. However we will certainly pull or modify any posts that do so. Thank you for your cooperation and support. -kamala

Mishelle,

I'm sorry I answered in a way that upset you...however, you do have the ability to sign in anonymously as can anyone...only other people can answer why they do so...I don't typically do that, but I do on occasion...why I do so is my private business

Kim

Edited by finGrabber, 11 September 2005 - 10:00 PM.

#19 Mishelle

Mishelle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 09:58 PM

Oh, oops, yes, there are both Guests and Anonymous.  Geez.  The world is complicated enough without such silly fine-grained distinctions.

Travis,

Guests are considered anyone who is either not a member, or members who have not logged in. If you're in *guest* mode, you cannot post.

Anonymous refers to members who HAVE logged in, and therefore can post, but choose not to be visible to others.

Mishelle and Dennis,

Thank you for the encouragement! Most appreciated!! :clapping:

First, thank you for explaining that...that was my question and now it is answered! :)

AND, no need to thank me! You are a great person and you will get it done! Diving is life! Its in your blood! We are here to support you and cheer you! You have the skill!

The best day I ever had was face to face with a man and a shark, and wondering who was gonna bite me first- Poison Pen

#20 Mishelle

Mishelle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 10:00 PM

Mishelle,

I'm sorry I answered in a way that upset...however, you do have the ability to sign in anonymously as can anyone...only other people can answer why they do so...I don't typically do that, but I do on occasion...why I do so is my private business

Kim

I asked because I dont honestly see the point. It was a guestion, and if you feel it would violate you somehow to answer, then please do not. I do not want anyone to be in a position to feel uncomfortable or awakward. It was ment for those who were willing to answer or share.

#21 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 11 September 2005 - 10:06 PM

Mishelle,

I'm sorry I answered in a way that upset...however, you do have the ability to sign in anonymously as can anyone...only other people can answer why they do so...I don't typically do that, but I do on occasion...why I do so is my private business

Kim

I asked because I dont honestly see the point. It was a guestion, and if you feel it would violate you somehow to answer, then please do not. I do not want anyone to be in a position to feel uncomfortable or awakward. It was ment for those who were willing to answer or share.

It's a good question, too...I don't remember the last time I signed in anonymous...but I also don't post alot either so, while I do alot of stuff behind the scenes, I appear to be someone who "lurks"

also, I don't usually have alot of good input on diving topics, I don't get to travel much anymore, so in many ways, I don't feel I have alot to contribute...hmmm, maybe I should start signing in anonymously!

#22 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 11 September 2005 - 10:50 PM

I am one of the culprits of this. Sometimes, I just want to check posts real fast and get out. It is a pretty non-sinister motive. I am just making life easier by lurking a bit instead of making my presence known right off off the bat. If I post, you all know that I am here anyways. :)
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#23 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 12 September 2005 - 07:44 AM

An interesting question nonetheless. If you want to check out what's going on, why not look at the recent posts on the portal page, read those, and dissapear-all as a guest to the sight!! I do this frequently throughout the day if time permits and if I am not having computer issues!!

Before yesterday, I had no idea how to do this and frankly, don't see the point!!!
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#24 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 12 September 2005 - 08:22 AM

An interesting question nonetheless. If you want to check out what's going on, why not look at the recent posts on the portal page, read those, and dissapear-all as a guest to the sight!! I do this frequently throughout the day if time permits and if I am not having computer issues!!

Before yesterday, I had no idea how to do this and frankly, don't see the point!!!

I have my reasons, but some forums I have to be logged in to read. I have also been known to do this when replying to PM's. Log in, read, reply and get off the board.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#25 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 08:34 AM

I have my reasons, but some forums I have to be logged in to read. I have also been known to do this when replying to PM's. Log in, read, reply and get off the board.

The forums to which you speak would be those that are hidden to the general community. Since they have limited access, they also have limited activity. Understand that you have your reasons, I stick with my original point-I just don't get it!!
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#26 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 08:58 AM

I stick with my original point-I just don't get it!!

DBD,

It's just a personal preference; some people are more private (in general) than others. :welcome:

#27 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:14 AM

I stick with my original point-I just don't get it!!

DBD,

It's just a personal preference; some people are more private (in general) than others. :evilgrin:

Don't disagree. Too each his own I guess!!

#28 Neptuner

Neptuner

• Business Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+ and counting!

Posted 13 September 2005 - 08:32 AM

I'm with DiverBrian on this one. There's nothing "sneaky" or "lurking" about this at all IMHO. Many times I want to jump in and check feedback on a given thread for instance, but I don't really have the time (perhaps I'm at work) to answer PM's from friends. I would hate for anyone to ever think that I was ignoring their PM, but sometimes I can't answer it until later that evening. So... by politely logging in anonymously, I can, if I choose to, stay logged into the site, but not be concerned that people will see my on-line and anxiously awaiting my reply. Now if I can reply, then I log in normally so that everyone can see I'm available to chat. Personally I find the feature quite handy and I feel I'm being very courteous to my fellow SD-ers, not lurking.

TheScubaCowboy
Buy the special SingleDivers.com version of my SCUBA MUSIC CD "Just A Scuba Cowboy" here for only $15 with savings on multiple copies... each one is personally autographed and it's the perfect gift for divers and non-divers alike!

#29 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 07 February 2006 - 09:44 PM

I'm just curious regarding the board statistics box on the main page when it shows 2 guests, 10 members, and 2 anonymous members. What is an anonymous member? Someone who doesn't want to be seen on the board? How would one do that and why would one do that?

Curious minds want to know. :cool2:

#30 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 07 February 2006 - 09:51 PM

I'm just curious regarding the board statistics box on the main page when it shows 2 guests, 10 members, and 2 anonymous members. What is an anonymous member? Someone who doesn't want to be seen on the board? How would one do that and why would one do that?

Curious minds want to know. :cool2:

When you log in to the site you have the option to click on the box that says "invisible". That way nobody can see that you are logged on, and you can sneak around the board anonymously! :ph34r:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users