• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

This I can believe...but YUCK!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,671 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 15 February 2006 - 06:17 AM

Et cetera: Study finds grocery cart handles are dirtier than public restrooms

02/06/2006

A new study finds that grocery cart handles carry more germs, bacteria, and bodily fluids than surfaces in public restrooms, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports. Researchers from the University of Arizona in Tucson tested nearly 1,100 surfaces in public areas and found that grocery cart handles trail only public bus handrails and equipment at children’s playgrounds in a ranking of the dirtiest public surfaces. The carts tested positive for proteins found in blood, mucus, sweat, saliva, and urine, as well as for fecal matter, E. coli, and salmonella. Researchers found that about half of shopping cart handles “weren’t frequently cleaned,” and 21% tested positive for bodily fluids. To address the problem, a number of grocery retailers have begun offering customers SaniCart Wipes manufactured by Nic-Pak Products to clean carts between uses. Named “Best New Product” in 2004, the wipes are one of several EPA-registered disinfectants that are designed to eliminate the common flu virus, staph, and salmonella (Cho, 2/3).

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 intotheblue

intotheblue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Cert Level:diving since high school; rec, tech, cave and wreck, as well as exploration and expedition diving
  • Logged Dives:Thousands... (really!)

Posted 15 February 2006 - 08:54 AM

A new study finds that grocery cart handles carry more germs, bacteria, and bodily fluids than surfaces in public restrooms, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports. Researchers from the University of Arizona in Tucson tested nearly 1,100 surfaces in public areas and found that grocery cart handles trail only public bus handrails and equipment at children’s playgrounds in a ranking of the dirtiest public surfaces.

and some people wonder why we Texans don't go for mass transit... we're too smart to ride those filthy vehicles unless we absolutely have to! We don't ride in grocery carts much either! :P

:)
"The most important thing is to never stop breathing"... ITB

Actually, the WORST day of diving is better than the BEST day at work... :)

and... my life is not measured by the number of breaths I take, but by the number of breaths I take UNDER WATER :)

"I see you are no stranger to pain." -- "I was married... TWICE!!!" HOT SHOTS, PART DEUX

#3 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 15 February 2006 - 10:38 PM

[

We don't ride in grocery carts much either! :diver:

:diver:

Living on the side of a mountain I've discovered riding shopping carts dangerous for another reason...it turns out they don't come from the factory with brakes :flirt:

Eric

#4 Twinklez

Twinklez

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 15 February 2006 - 10:41 PM

My oldest son has dimples in his legs just below the knee from riding downhill in a shopping cart in the alley behind where we lived when he was 6 yrs old! He still laughs about it.

#5 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI AOW, TDI Nitrox (does it really matter to you??)
  • Logged Dives:130 something

Posted 18 February 2006 - 12:42 AM

Simple solution to the grocery carts: eat out more frequently! Support your local restaurants!

Heck, I stopped by my Dr's office today to pick up copies of my medical records, and ALL of the office staff were hacking up hairballs. They said "you can wait, it'll only be 20 minutes or so", but I declined and beat a hasty retreat. I'll stop back tomorrow to pick 'em up when I can do another fast in & out. Note to self: use alcohol wipes before you grab the steering wheel... it looked nasty.

Going neurotic on avoiding occasional bugs didn't do Howard Hughes any good. He died anyways. I figure you need to exercise your immune system regularly. What doesn't kill ya makes you stronger.

#6 Marion1336

Marion1336

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:43

Posted 19 February 2006 - 09:50 AM

There are a couple grocery stores here in the Chicago area with an antibacterial wipes dispenser for use by the carts area. I knew they were dirty, I had no idea just HOW dirty. Yuk.
To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides.
-David Viscott

#7 cmt489

cmt489

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 20 February 2006 - 03:23 PM

As gross as this maybe, what people fail to remember is how dirty the average private kitchen is as well. Studies have been done to show that the average household has a more sanitary bathroom than kitchen and one of the primary culprits to this issue is people not laundering dish towels enough and using sponges well after they have expired. After reading these stats, I never use sponges and I wash my dish clothes in hot water every couple of days! I am also a huge fan of bacteria killing cleaners. I have to admit, when it comes to sanitation, this is the one area that I am an environmental villian!

#8 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Cert Level:aow/nitrox
  • Logged Dives:absolutly no idea

Posted 20 February 2006 - 04:32 PM

As gross as this maybe, what people fail to remember is how dirty the average private kitchen is as well. Studies have been done to show that the average household has a more sanitary bathroom than kitchen and one of the primary culprits to this issue is people not laundering dish towels enough and using sponges well after they have expired. After reading these stats, I never use sponges and I wash my dish clothes in hot water every couple of days! I am also a huge fan of bacteria killing cleaners. I have to admit, when it comes to sanitation, this is the one area that I am an environmental villian!

my kitchen is so bad that i expect the CDC to show up any day now...... however, my dive gear is spotless! :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users