• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

What is SD?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 WillDiveForBeer

WillDiveForBeer

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW and Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:52

Posted 27 February 2006 - 11:00 PM

For those who haven't met me, I tend to be a bit controversial and for those who have met me, they know I speak my mind and don't hold too much back.

As I look at SD over the past 6-9 months, I tend to see less topics on diving and more on being single, such as what type of kisser am I or is my SO getting annoyed that I am staying out late at night or am I a new age man?

Where are all of the dive topics? Where is Walter's to the point opinions about diving and his rather on purpose misunderstandings of posts due to their ambiguity? The topics of why I really want to get a wing and back plate and what exactly is one anyway? How about those good dive reports from your personal dive vacation you took in addition to the SD trip you went on? Did you buy some new gear? This is a dive forum, I would rather hear about the new dive knife you bought and HOW you used it to stab your ex while diving rather than wondering why you can't meet the right man or woman.

Are you happy with SD? Post why you are...If not, post why you aren't happy with the site. Tell us your favorite part of diving. Why do you go diving? Do you think I'm rude, crude and not PC or a loveable little twerp? Heck, post that too.

Post a topic on why you aren't going on a dive trip. I've looked at a few random trips and they happen to have almost the same crew as the Fiji trip...where is everyone else? Do you not have the time? Are the trips too expensive? Do you not like traveling with people? Anything is better than looking through 3 pages of new postings and half of them are relationship related.

Let's start seeing some more posting on dive and travel related topics. As I remember, SD is a dive site based on buddy less divers, not a single's site. Stop the moaning and pondering if you'll find the perfect man or woman and instead, spend more effort in getting wet & going to happy hours. Bring the dive back into signleDIVERs.com

-Mike- a.k.a WDFB

#2 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 27 February 2006 - 11:06 PM

I, too, have been concerned about the lack of real diving-related posts vs the relationship posts. Of course I haven't been concerned enough to post my own diving threads, or to stop posting in the relationship ones. However I do think it is an important issue for Kamala and the members to discuss. Although I came here in part for the possibility of finding my ultimate dive buddy, I came for the diving. I can get the relationship stuff elsewhere (even though it is fun to discuss here).

#3 mantarraya

mantarraya

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:>100

Posted 27 February 2006 - 11:09 PM

It's just like TV. Don't watch the shows that you don't like - flip to something else or turn the damned thing off. Message boards are the same way. Don't read the topics you are not interested in, posts by people who drive you nuts, and/or flip to another dive site, as there are plenty around.
Back after a long absence - whew, too busy at work!

#4 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 27 February 2006 - 11:23 PM

....Are you happy with SD?

As long as I can see Wench's pretty smile when I log on. I'm easy to please.

Post a topic on why you aren't going on a dive trip. -Mike- a.k.a WDFB

Not much to say there, I'm broke. Even when I was working full time I never went on exotic dive trips, I have other priorities for my funds.

Edited by Brinybay, 27 February 2006 - 11:48 PM.

"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#5 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 11:32 PM

I agree with lgrahamtx.

The board is what the members make it. While it is SingleDivers, seeing as the board caters to divers that happen to be single or buddyless, the topics will inevitably wander to relationships, or lack of.

After all, the index page is entitled "Surface Interval", is it not? Forgive my ignorance, being a diver-to-be and all, but do divers only talk about diving during surface intervals? :dontthinkso:

As for seeing the same people on SD dive trips, I would guess part of that is due to cost and time. The board is not the same to all members; some are here primarily for information and some are here primarily for trips. I notice plenty of people who never post except in trip-related threads.

The topics of why I really want to get a wing and back plate and what exactly is one anyway?

I started a thread related to this issue. Perhaps you didn't see it as you never posted in it. You can find it HERE.

Another consideration is if you're not seeing the topics you'd like to discuss, Mike, such as:

How about those good dive reports from your personal dive vacation you took in addition to the SD trip you went on? Did you buy some new gear?

Why not start them yourself? I'm sure plenty of others would be happy to chime in. :)

So to answer your question:

Are you happy with SD?

Yes! Yes, I am! :teeth:

#6 WillDiveForBeer

WillDiveForBeer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 11:39 PM

It's just like TV. Don't watch the shows that you don't like - flip to something else or turn the damned thing off. Message boards are the same way. Don't read the topics you are not interested in, posts by people who drive you nuts, and/or flip to another dive site, as there are plenty around.

I don't read the posts I'm not interested in and moving to another site is always a possibility...it is already happening here. The essense of what SD started out as is being lost, hence the reason for my post. Hopefully it will incite people to express their feelings, like Dr. Bill (and some other people I've spoken to) who has noticed the same decline in diving related posts, but maybe didn't want to make the 1st post.

I'm on the board when I have the time, sometimes I am away for a couple months, make a surprise appearance and then go back to my daily grind. That's the beauity of a forum, to come and go as you please, but the forum now is a lot different than when I first joined. I don't even see a 50/50 mix of SINGLE and DIVE related topics...pretty soon we should just call it SinglesLookingForAHotDiveBuddyForAOneNightStandHookup.com

I'm not saying to get rid of those topics, just get more into the DIVING aspect. If you want to talk about relationships, why not something like

I'd never date a non-diver because....the 1st time I went on a tropical vacation with my ex, I went diving in Cancun and she didn't want to give it a try and all she did was complain how I woke her up early in the morning getting ready for the dive and afterwards how I wanted to nap for a couple hours and she wanted to be outside at the beach....

Then from there, maybe someone would have a funny story with their ex or current partner, relating to the same subject...maybe someone had a tip on how to keep the SO at bay...but it's all related to diving. I really don't care what kind of kisser I am by taking an online survery, I'll do that on Yahoo Personals or something.

-Mike- a.k.a. WDFB

#7 BeachBunny

BeachBunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:Not enough but I am working on it!

Posted 27 February 2006 - 11:44 PM

Oh, how about.....

On my honeymoon I went diving and my new wife took an intro to scuba class. One day when I came back from my dive I found her in the arms of her scuba instructor. From that day forward I swore I would never again date a non diver.

I read the dive posts, comment occasionally, but generally I do not have enough knowledge to comment on. Now crappy relationships I know and can comment all day long.
"In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different" CoCo Chanel

beachbunny@singledivers.com

"Be the change you wish to see in the world"
Ghandi

#8 TekDiveGirl

TekDiveGirl

• PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Divemaster - trained through advanced wreck and Advanced Tri-mix
  • Logged Dives:A whole bunch - I don't know excactly as my logbook was destroyed... )-; It's a long story -- you really don't want to know...

Posted 27 February 2006 - 11:58 PM

Sure there are a lot of nondiving posts -- but remember too this is winter.

Although if you look at post history -- some of us post more about diving and dive topics than the other topics that come about.

I will be leaving on a kickass trip next week -- a liveaboard diving pretty local deep wrecks -- I will be sure to post all about it when I return.

If you want to talk diving -- please start... many will join in for sure.
Kimber

Pink ~~~
It's the New Black!!!

#9 WillDiveForBeer

WillDiveForBeer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 11:58 PM

I agree with lgrahamtx.

The board is what the members make it. While it is SingleDivers, seeing as the board caters to divers that happen to be single or buddyless, the topics will inevitably wander to relationships, or lack of.

After all, the index page is entitled "Surface Interval", is it not? Forgive my ignorance, being a diver-to-be and all, but do divers only talk about diving during surface intervals? :dontthinkso:

As for seeing the same people on SD dive trips, I would guess part of that is due to cost and time. The board is not the same to all members; some are here primarily for information and some are here primarily for trips. I notice plenty of people who never post except in trip-related threads.

The topics of why I really want to get a wing and back plate and what exactly is one anyway?

I started a thread related to this issue. Perhaps you didn't see it as you never posted in it. You can find it HERE.

Another consideration is if you're not seeing the topics you'd like to discuss, Mike, such as:

How about those good dive reports from your personal dive vacation you took in addition to the SD trip you went on? Did you buy some new gear?

Why not start them yourself? I'm sure plenty of others would be happy to chime in. :)

So to answer your question:

Are you happy with SD?

Yes! Yes, I am! :teeth:

I only chose the wing and back plate as an example of a dive related topic, but thanks for the link :)

And yes, we do talk about other things than just diving, but I tend to talk a lot about diving during the interval. What we saw, did you get a good pic, people giving advice on trim, bouyancy, comparing air consumption, planning a trip where somoene lives, etc... Thanking someone for pointing out an awesome creature to photograph because they saw it and I didn't.

As for starting trip reports, the next time I go on a dive, I will. I think I put my 2 cents in on the Fiji trip report as well as my experience in Belize with our good friend Peter (Peterbj7).

I think I'm just stating what other people are thinking, but not saying it. The only question is...will this thread be moderated and edited because it isn't 100% peachy about the site? I think we need to say out in the open on what we think about the site, hence why I called this topic what I did.

I know I will get myself into more heat for saying this by some certain members of the FIJI crew, and please take no offense, it isn't meant to be derogatory, but I can see why you and lgrahamtx are happy with the board...a lot of the posts are from women on women topics, so naturally you will be happy and gravitate to the board. If suddently all the posts were about guns, cars, boats, outboard motors, how you tweaked out that ATV to go 80MPH and almost killed yourself...I am guessing you would be less interested in the forums.

After two replies, two women kinda like how SD is, don't really need a need for change, two guys (including myself) see how the site is less diving related and one guy seems neutral...kind of proves what I have been thinking...the site is begining to revolve around female relationships...kind of like I am reading Cosmo where I would rather have it like People...good, informative articles with a splash (pun intended) of life mixed in.

-Mike- a.k.a WDFB

#10 TekDiveGirl

TekDiveGirl

• PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Divemaster - trained through advanced wreck and Advanced Tri-mix
  • Logged Dives:A whole bunch - I don't know excactly as my logbook was destroyed... )-; It's a long story -- you really don't want to know...

Posted 28 February 2006 - 12:21 AM

I think I'm just stating what other people are thinking, but not saying it. The only question is...will this thread be moderated and edited because it isn't 100% peachy about the site? I think we need to say out in the open on what we think about the site, hence why I called this topic what I did.

I know I will get myself into more heat for saying this by some certain members of the FIJI crew, and please take no offense, it isn't meant to be derogatory, but I can see why you and lgrahamtx are happy with the board...a lot of the posts are from women on women topics, so naturally you will be happy and gravitate to the board. If suddently all the posts were about guns, cars, boats, outboard motors, how you tweaked out that ATV to go 80MPH and almost killed yourself...I am guessing you would be less interested in the forums.

If you want something -- do something.

Make diving posts -- start threads -- there are a lot of things on boards that I am a member of that I have no interest in -- thus I don't read those parts. Same applies here -- you don't like an area -- don't read it.

Be proactive instead of complaining.
Kimber

Pink ~~~
It's the New Black!!!

#11 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 12:23 AM

I only chose the wing and back plate as an example of a dive related topic, but thanks for the link :)

You're welcome! I have plenty more in the New and Non-Divers forum as well! :teeth:

. . . please take no offense, it isn't meant to be derogatory, but I can see why you and lgrahamtx are happy with the board...a lot of the posts are from women on women topics, so naturally you will be happy and gravitate to the board.

Not so sure about this one, Mike. I just took a quick glance at the first page of the Topics Related to Being Single forum, and of the 13 threads listed, 9 were started by men!!! :dontthinkso:

Here... look for yourself...

Picture_2.jpg

#12 WillDiveForBeer

WillDiveForBeer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 12:41 AM

You're welcome! I have plenty more in the New and Non-Divers forum as well! :)

. . . please take no offense, it isn't meant to be derogatory, but I can see why you and lgrahamtx are happy with the board...a lot of the posts are from women on women topics, so naturally you will be happy and gravitate to the board.

Not so sure about this one, Mike. I just took a quick glance at the first page of the Topics Related to Being Single forum, and of the 13 threads listed, 9 were started by men!!! :teeth:

Here... look for yourself...

Picture_2.jpg

In your instance yes, more posts were started by guys. I guess it all depends on when you log in, when you set all forum marked as read and what people have replied to and when you log in. I usually just look at the View New Posts, which could explain a different in gender posting. I'll will concede on the posting gender argument...but if you look at all those topics, still looks like Cosmo to me...though the Maximum Cleavage does look interesting :) ....but alas...it is almost 2am and no time to read the post and by tomorrow...I'll forget it exists, lol.

So...did u read my car thread? :dontthinkso:

-Mike- a.k.a WDFB

#13 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 12:55 AM

So...did u read my car thread? :dontthinkso:

-Mike- a.k.a WDFB

As a matter of fact... yes, yes I did! :teeth: (Un)Fortunately, I don't own a car so I can't comment though.

#14 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 28 February 2006 - 01:21 AM

After two replies, two women kinda like how SD is, don't really need a need for change, two guys (including myself) see how the site is less diving related and one guy seems neutral...kind of proves what I have been thinking...the site is begining to revolve around female relationships...kind of like I am reading Cosmo where I would rather have it like People...good, informative articles with a splash (pun intended) of life mixed in.

huh? I'm a girl and you can do a search on my posts and see that the threads I start are dive related. I read what interests me and typically don't peruse the threads that don't. However, I appreciate that the site supports avenues for all types of divers and what they want to discuss.

Like this one :dontthinkso:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#15 CrackerJackScuba

CrackerJackScuba

Getting started

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 05:45 AM

Another interesting topic. I should check in more often. Mike is right we need more diving topics. So I started a few today myself. Just things I've been wondering about. Mike you should start more topics on diving too. I'd like to read them given your unique perspective on things. :welcome:

As for having a place where girls hang out, talk about relationships, allude to sex, tell us why they dress sexy and are all divers...remind me of what the downside to that was again????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users