• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

What is SD?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#16 George

George

IT Administrator & Owner

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Cert Level:OW

Posted 28 February 2006 - 06:17 AM

"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

This is more than my signature - it is a reflection of all aspects of life. We all tend to sit back and watch what others do. Then we complain when it is not what we want it to be. It takes less effort to do something different than it does to complain. Sadly most people see it the other way around.

WW and I have been purposefully trying to downplay our interaction on the board so that the board can be the member's board and not the owner's board.

To do so we must let the members set the tone, start topics as they wish and make the board their own. So we encourage everyone to jump in and talk about things that they enjoy and that they are curious about and where they can offer advice, suggestions or even flat our disagree. One caveat - our board policies have not changed and those can be found here.

Its your community. Its your opportunity. Its your choice.
Email me

"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

#17 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 28 February 2006 - 06:55 AM

For those of you not in the grips of winter post some local dive reports for those of us who had to brush the flurries off the SUV (Scuba Utility Vehicle) this morning. In a few days I'm off to cash in on the trip I won from toysforthechildren.org through SingleDivers and I'll get a report up when I get back or maybe sooner since Utila Lodge has WiFi, so much for remote dive locations and being out of touch!
Maybe by the time I get back the thread on clevage will have gone cold. :welcome: But I doubt it!
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#18 mantarraya

mantarraya

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:>100

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:04 AM

I frequent www.scubadiving.com's board as much as this one, and get irritated at it sometimes when the conversations veer too much toward politics (esp conservative politics, which I hate), as the discussions get very nasty when one group jumps down the throat of another. I still read their board, just don't participate in those discussions, and read the dive stuff and non-diving related stuff that interests me. Same here. I don't think we want to to censor the board in any way. I agree with whoever above said we're not talking so much about diving right now because it is winter, and most of us have not had the luxury of the back roll or giant stride off of a boat for a while. So, there is not much to talk about that we haven't talked about before.
Back after a long absence - whew, too busy at work!

#19 Trimix2dive

Trimix2dive

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Trimix
  • Logged Dives:519

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:12 AM

Sure there are a lot of nondiving posts -- but remember too this is winter.

Although if you look at post history -- some of us post more about diving and dive topics than the other topics that come about.

I will be leaving on a kickass trip next week -- a liveaboard diving pretty local deep wrecks -- I will be sure to post all about it when I return.

If you want to talk diving -- please start... many will join in for sure.

I gotta throw my support behind this one. Based on the season, it flexes back and forth. If you post something interesting like this, people will follow the thread and post. Either subject can be interesting, if started with the correct spirit.

And trust me, my young jedi apprentice - when you have truely become controversial then you will have known the true power of the force.

#20 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,684 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:15 AM

And trust me, my young jedi apprentice - when you have truely become controversial then you will have known the true power of the force.

:welcome:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#21 Vessper

Vessper

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Rescue
  • Logged Dives:24

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:42 AM

Granted I have only been on the site for about 1 1/2 weeks but I do have an opinion about what this site is. It says it in the name. In my opinion this site is about diving and about singles. So of course you will have topics about both. For people like myself that typically only get to dive the mud puddles in Texas, there isn't just a whole lot to talk about. Most Texas lake dives are very similar, vis was about 3 feet at best and um, oh ya, I saw a Bass. I don't get to do all the nice trips or even a couple of the nicer trips a year. I am lucky to scrounge up enough spare cash to do one a year. I am involved with diving at least 3 days a week and some times 7 days a week like I was last week. But that deals with gaining my DM cert and my MSD cert. Not a lot to discuss there. Relationships on the other hand are a daily issue. Whether your involved with someone or not.

There is also another aspect to look at when discussing the different topics. With diving, there is a right and wrong way to do things. So some people may not feel comfortable discussing diving openly because they don't want to be wrong about a subject. Relationships are a huge grey area with different ways of doing it, there is no wrong answer because it depends on the two people involved and their preception of the situation they are in.

Unfortunately for me, this is one of my few area's where I can discuss relationship issues. I don't have someone that I can turn to and talk with about this stuff. My circle of friends has changed dramatically over the past 2 years and the people who used to be there are now gone. Having this site to discuss my thoughts and feelings about relationships or the lack there of is a like a breath of fresh air for me. The really cool part is that I can also talk about diving here, which is something else I can't really discuss with my friends since none of them dive.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with the posts that have been done. This site is something different for everyone. If you don't want to discuss relationship stuff, don't. How many friendships have been generated from this site????? With that in mind, how many people only discuss one topic with their friends?

#22 sqzmee

sqzmee

Getting started

• Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Cert Level:OW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:275

Posted 28 February 2006 - 08:26 AM

Hi all. I am new to SD but let me tell you I am here because it's "singledivers.com" not just"divers.com". I already subscribe to Scuba Diving and Fathoms mags & Undercurrent. Read the boards at Scuba DIveing and other sites ie Backscatter, Wetpixel etc.
I am here for the trips and meeting other single people who also are avid divers. Yes, the diving topics are very interesting and should continue.
But it would be a real plus to meet other singles and possibly make a connection with a guy who is a real diver. I live in Fla, subscribe to Match. com& singles stuff but it's difficult to meet people who want to do dive travel. I can travel alone certainly but it would be so much more enjoyable to be able to share experiences with a partner. Let's be real, we all want to be loved and all want to have someone to enjoy life's experiences with. If we can have a place to meet others who share our interests I think it's a great thing!

Singledivers.com provides an arena to socialize with other single divers. Keep up the good work SD!
Can't wait to meet some central Fla divers at a happy hour!
Jules aka sqzmee
I haven't figured out how to use these little smiley guys yet..... so : )

#23 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 28 February 2006 - 08:43 AM

I think the "problem" (IMHO) is not that there are threads that discuss relationships, etc., but that they dominate the site swamping out the dive-related threads. The suggestion that winter is a major factor is probably correct. Of course here in SoCal we dive year round, and the only snow I see is on the mountains 90 miles away on a clear day.

I'm just as interested in meeting a nice single woman diver as the rest, but I want to meet a single diver who is as passionate about her diving as she is about me (sigh). Perhaps it is because some of us look at diving differently. I usually dive every week of the year, rain or shine (we did a trip yesterday in the middle of a storm). I'm looking for a woman who does the same thing.

I know there are women on this site who are as passionate about their diving as I am. I also know that there are women on the board who are more occasional divers, who like the sport but don't have the same level of passion. Those who can't dive in winter due to weather or financial reasons fall more in the latter category for me. Not a judgment call, just a matter of what I am looking for.

#24 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 28 February 2006 - 11:54 AM

I'll be honest in saying that I haven't said much in diving related topics lately.

Why?

As someone said, my gills are getting dry and trying to same up money for a good car (due to my old one getting totalled) and pay for the trips that I do in the Great Lakes every year is keeping them dry for a while longer.

I've tended away from the singles stuff here in the last few weeks as well. Why add to the post count when my opinion is represented and someone else has said it more simply and better?

You have a good topic here. I am sure others will want to pitch it.

I will say that I wouldn't be here long if this turned into a place like one of the boards that I am on where you had better be talking about diving and it had better be technical diving or you will get flamed off the board. That's great for my research once in a while, but not so much for being a comfortable place to hang out. I have a sum total of 20 or 25 posts on that board in two years of membership. I will let you figure out why.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#25 WillDiveForBeer

WillDiveForBeer

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW and Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:52

Posted 28 February 2006 - 05:13 PM

One reason why I started this topic was to start something different. Dr. Bill is seeing what I see, the relationship posts overshadowing the diving posts. I don't want to eliminate that and someone correct me if I am wrong, but this isn't a dating site, but a site to connect "singular" divers together. It would have been a lot harder for me to dive Fiji by myself in trying to find a dive company, make sure other divers will be there, travel arrangements, etc., since none of my friends I grew up with or went to college with scuba dive so I could plan a trip with them. SD is also to foster friendships (and in my case, some enemies as well :cheerleader: )between people. That is the premise of this website and through natural interaction, people will flirt and maybe move from San Diego to the D.C. area because he met someone he can connect to on multiple levels AND the person is a diver. That is one of the beauties of this site...we all share a common thread of desire and passion which is diving...Divers are a special breed of people and makes it whole-heartedly easier to connect with a fellow diver than a non-diver.

I'm not here to complain, nor was this a posting to complain, but I wanted to start a thread to get people talking and thinking and covering topics I won't see on the Dr. Phil or Oprah show. I am just hoping to see less of the lovey-dovey posts and more of the diving, bringing it back to an equilibrium.

-Mike-

#26 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,684 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 06:01 PM

Hey Mike...thanks for starting the post on Brasil! Got any more cool ideas pertaining to diving?

As for making enemies...I 'splained that to you already...just so you recall..."its a little known fact that ww loves cava as much as you do"...but we kissed and made up so no enemies on this front!!! :cheerleader:

And for the record...this was a good thread. As George said...within the confines of the site's rules...the site is really yours. So start the kind of topics you want to read about. Ask those questions that you've had but have been too shy to post. Post a joke...ask a question whether about diving or dating...its all relevant!

So if you don't like what people are posting then post something interesting to you! If you want to talk more about diving then ask the questions...we have loads of talent on our site that will help you with a reply!

And why don't we start more "Dive of the Months" in YOUR local area wherever that may be. So far we have Florida, Hawaii, DC/NOVA/MD/NC area, Texas starting this month and hopefully the PNW and NE if I can find coordinators.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#27 WillDiveForBeer

WillDiveForBeer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 06:11 PM

As for making enemies...I 'splained that to you already...just so you recall..."its a little known fact that ww loves cava as much as you do"...but we kissed and made up so no enemies on this front!!! :cheerleader:

Actually...you aren't the enemy...I am thinking of some other person/people that took offence to a post made and totally blew it out of proportion and bent that person/people all week long when I had such a great time playing off of their problem with that specific comment, hehe....plus all of that Bounty and Gold and ring-toss might have helped :banghead:

And why don't we start more "Dive of the Months" in YOUR local area wherever that may be. So far we have Florida, Hawaii, DC/NOVA/MD/NC area, Texas starting this month and hopefully the PNW and NE if I can find coordinators.

If I was only home more to coordinate them. Unfortunently can't get a response for a HH and when on the road 5 days a week...not really able to plan anything in a city I don't even know. Would you believe I still print out Google Maps to just about everywhere I go?

-Mike- a.k.a WDFB

#28 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,684 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 06:15 PM

Actually...you aren't the enemy...I am thinking of some other person/people that took offence to a post made and totally blew it out of proportion and bent that person/people all week long when I had such a great time playing off of their problem with that specific comment, hehe....plus all of that Bounty and Gold and ring-toss might have helped :diver:

If I was only home more to coordinate them. Unfortunently can't get a response for a HH and when on the road 5 days a week...not really able to plan anything in a city I don't even know. Would you believe I still print out Google Maps to just about everywhere I go?

-Mike- a.k.a WDFB

Well as they say...S-H-I-T happens...sometimes to other people...but not very often! :banghead:

formerly...

#29 WillDiveForBeer

WillDiveForBeer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 06:20 PM

Actually...you aren't the enemy...I am thinking of some other person/people that took offence to a post made and totally blew it out of proportion and bent that person/people all week long when I had such a great time playing off of their problem with that specific comment, hehe....plus all of that Bounty and Gold and ring-toss might have helped :diver:

-Mike- a.k.a WDFB

Well as they say...S-H-I-T happens...sometimes to other people...but not very often! :banghead:

As my parents say, I step in $H!T and come out smelling like roses...and I don't think I was stinky in Fiji, lol.

#30 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:08 PM

So here I am...Queen of the Singles threads! I'm really sorry if we've inundated you with chatter about our lives, thoughts and feelings; but...it's OUR site. That means you have to share. There have been plenty of times I've logged on and saw a line of Happy Birthday threads, or a line of diving threads and no singles threads at all. Oh well.

Because I'm strictly recreational at this time there are many topics that go way over my head. I've replied to Annasea's swimming issues, threads about quality of training, and a few others like that. But for the most part...I just read the others because I learn from them and don't have input of value at this time.

Like BeachBunny, I do have experience and questions about being single. Like Vessper, I've found a place where there are people I can talk with about different singles issues. Like Dr.Bill, I'd like to meet the ultimate dive buddy some day. Like DiverBrian, I'm flat freakin broke and can't afford a blue water vacation like Fiji. Find my post "In Search of the Black Sea Bass" from July and you'll see that I spend as much time and effort on trip reports as I do on singles posts....if I have a trip to report on.

I'm glad you spoke up, but just as I don't speak for all women; I'm sure you don't speak for all divers on this site and probably not the majority of them either. I just haven't seen a whole lot of them posting in agreement to your concerns. Maybe they have gone elsewhere; but maybe it's not anything to do with diving posts vs singles posts, rather the buddy system with other folks who branched out on their own.

Did I read your car thread? Not yet, but I'll take a look at it and if I have input I'll share and if not I won't.

I for one appreciate that SD is a woman friendly diving site.

One thing I did note is that you didn't seem to mind the thread about women flaunting their breasts; yet you don't want to hear anything about how a woman feels.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users