• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

What is SD?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#31 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Cert Level:aow/nitrox
  • Logged Dives:absolutly no idea

Posted 28 February 2006 - 08:04 PM

i enjoy all the threads....i learn from the ones that dont apply to me and from the ones that do....

#32 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 28 February 2006 - 08:04 PM

Mike,
Is someone suffering from actual scuba diving withdrawl? :lmao: Maybe a little bottom time will relax ya :lmao:

Eric

#33 WillDiveForBeer

WillDiveForBeer

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW and Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:52

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:09 AM

One thing I did note is that you didn't seem to mind the thread about women flaunting their breasts; yet you don't want to hear anything about how a woman feels.

Actually, I haven't even looked at that thread, didn't really interest me, I think I put a :) there too when I mentioned it, to mock it.

I have a feeling that people are misunderstanding this posting. It's not that I don't want to see the relationship posts, as I do chime in...I just see the site moving away from diving...a year ago there were a lot more posts concerning diving and today, I see more activity in the non-diving related posts in the relationship genre. At what point does the site lose the linkage to diving?

-Mike- a.k.a WDFB

#34 WillDiveForBeer

WillDiveForBeer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW and Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:52

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:11 AM

Mike,
Is someone suffering from actual scuba diving withdrawl? :) Maybe a little bottom time will relax ya :wakawaka:

Eric

Could be...could be...gotta move to FL or the Carrib for year-yound, easy access to dive sites where I'm still on the East Coast (or close to it) for work, hehe.

-Mike- a.k.a WDFB

#35 CrackerJackScuba

CrackerJackScuba

Getting started

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:45 AM

I have a feeling that people are misunderstanding this posting. It's not that I don't want to see the relationship posts, as I do chime in...I just see the site moving away from diving...a year ago there were a lot more posts concerning diving and today, I see more activity in the non-diving related posts in the relationship genre. At what point does the site lose the linkage to diving?

-Mike- a.k.a WDFB

I am new to the site. I have posted a few jokes and lately a number of questions about diving. I appreciate the relationship threads as someone mentioned, its free therapy.

My question is who is the site? The management? The owners? The members? If everyone waits for someone else to post then we'd all be waiting for quite some time. Are you posting less than you did a year ago? If I could figure out how to look at your posts I'd look, but I'm guessing you joined about that time and you were excited so asked more questions and participated. Much as I'm doing now.

If you don't like the mix of non-diving to diving threads then add a few more diving threads in addition to raising the question.

That's my 2 cents and I hope I'm not flamed for saying it!

#36 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 01 March 2006 - 12:47 PM

That's my 2 cents and I hope I'm not flamed for saying it!

You won't be flamed for it on this site. If you are, report the post and let the mods deal with it :-D

Seriously, the members will post in the vein that they feel like posting at the time. This site is still reliant on its members for its posting direction. So, if that is an issue, than people can start posting about things that they would like to hear about. :D There are all kinds of opinions around here on those types of things.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#37 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 01:01 PM

I've just read this entire thread. Not sure why I didn't look at it before. I've been here for a few months, and have mustered to take one small trip with this group.

There seem to be a number of factors at play. I think the fact that many are out of dive season right now (myself included) is a factor. I know that personally, I haven't looked at a dive magazine in months. Last fall, I was buying 2-3 a month. Diving is on the back burner for me right now.

I too would like to meet a single diver like myself (but female) to hopefully entertain starting something deeper than just a dive buddy relationship. But that seems elusive. This site is one of only 2 that I read regularly, versus the 4-5 I have participated in since last summer. I enjoy it here.

I started a number of dive related topics here in the past, and try to contribute to dive related topics where I can. As a newbie diver it's sometimes difficult to offer meaningful information.

Personally, the relationship stuff is ok with me. I read some, and skip some. I think the mix is about right.

#38 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor

Posted 01 March 2006 - 01:04 PM

One thing I did note is that you didn't seem to mind the thread about women flaunting their breasts; yet you don't want to hear anything about how a woman feels.

Actually, I haven't even looked at that thread, didn't really interest me, I think I put a :-D there too when I mentioned it, to mock it.

-Mike- a.k.a WDFB

I don't expect we'll ever loose linkage to diving. We're divers. But...as said earlier, many of us are in the off season. The majority of us are also singles, so we do have single things to talk about which seem to be infinite giving the combinations of personalities and situations. Diving on the other hand can be a little more limited being that it doesn't ebb and flow based on personalities. Many of the diving questions have been asked, asked again, and even once more because someone new asked it without knowing there was a previous thread. That's ok. It gives some of us who were really new to diving the opportunity to answer questions that we were asking ourselves 6 months or a year ago.

Free therapy is good - but the friendships I've made here on SD are priceless!

#39 ScubaGypsy

ScubaGypsy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 01 March 2006 - 01:41 PM

.........I just haven't seen a whole lot of them posting in agreement to your concerns. Maybe they have gone elsewhere; .......

I must admit that I am in agreement with Mikes concerns and have recently gone elsewhere to read more specific diving, fitness and nutritional information. With that said, I still enjoy SD as I look at the relationship stuff as fun/light type reading because I too can identify with way too much of other singles plights. I have attended two SD events and had a nice time as I liked everyone I met which is now the main reason that I have continued to read and participate.
The sea is everything........Its breath is pure and healthy. It is an immense desert, where man is never lonely, for he feels life stirring on all sides. The sea is only the embodiment of a supernatural and wonderful existence. It is nothing but love and emotion; it is the 'Living Infinite,' ..........

Capt. Nemo...........20,000 Leagues under the Sea

#40 blacktar

blacktar

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI OWSI, Normoxic Trimix, full cave
  • Logged Dives:700

Posted 01 March 2006 - 05:28 PM

I actually spent a couple of days thinking about this post, before I decided to post my 2 psi. I agree that there needs to be a better balance in post content. But I think that the non diving related posts help us grow together as a family. It lets us share a little bit more about ourselves, and get to know each other better. I have noticed another trend on SD. I see so many people join up for SD, remain active for a short time and then dissapear. There are relativly few of us that are really active. I would like to see better member retention. I know I could post more, but by the time I see most posts, my thoughts have already been offered up by other members. That's what I got.
Patrick
BLACKTAR
"The edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over." Hunter S. Thompson

#41 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 01 March 2006 - 06:50 PM

:fish2:

II know I could post more, but by the time I see most posts, my thoughts have already been offered up by other members. That's what I got.
Patrick

You know, I used to think the same thing, but as threads do grow, that post or opinion that was like mine can get buried, so I quote it and agree with it. It doesn't matter if it's been said before, knowing that others think the say way or agree, is sometimes just as valuable as a different way/opinion.

And if you notice a member that catches your attention, for example they are into the same kind of diving as you or same line of work, I encourage SD members to make contact - perhaps via PM or in threads. SD is a wonderful community that has afforded me some like minded dive buddies and friends regardless of location. How else could I have met cmt489, my sister from another mother, and learned she wears the same shoe size. That's all the reason I need to head North, to steal her shoes! :D

Speaking of stealing, part of Hawk's signature line is appropriate here. SD is a place to "See old friends you have never met before!"
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#42 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 01 March 2006 - 07:18 PM

Hey! Hands off my shoes sister!

Okay, on a serious note, I too am guilty of not talking diving, diving, diving all the time but I, like many others on this site, am a recreational diver. I love hanging out with divers, meeting other divers and traveling with other divers but that doesn't mean that I don't want to talk about other things with my friends as well. As well, I also don't feel that I have the depth of knowledge that others have on this board for some of the diving related topics. As such, I read many of them with interest but without giving my input.

I love it here and I hope others do as well since it is the place on the internet that I like to call home. The trips aren't bad either! :fish2:

#43 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor

Posted 01 March 2006 - 11:56 PM

Hey! Hands off my shoes sister!

Okay, on a serious note, I too am guilty of not talking diving, diving, diving all the time but I, like many others on this site, am a recreational diver. I love hanging out with divers, meeting other divers and traveling with other divers but that doesn't mean that I don't want to talk about other things with my friends as well. As well, I also don't feel that I have the depth of knowledge that others have on this board for some of the diving related topics. As such, I read many of them with interest but without giving my input.

I love it here and I hope others do as well since it is the place on the internet that I like to call home. The trips aren't bad either! :)

Soooo... You're not GUILTY of anything! You just like to participate in a variety of topics. Somedays a little more of one than another, and other days the opposite.

I've yet to go on a trip, but the Happy Hours are the highlight of my month!

#44 Neptuner

Neptuner

• Business Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+ and counting!

Posted 02 March 2006 - 07:34 PM

Hey Mike!

We haven't met yet, but based upon the stories I've heard thus far, when we do, it will be a friendship at first dive! And as your friend, I would warmly put my arm around your shoulder right now, pull you close in and tell you... "Buddy... you're thinkin way too hard about this... just let it flow."

Trying to analyze the shift in content from time to time is like trying to analyze a shift in the current styles for the "in" crowd. Who knows why... or perhaps more importanly who cares? Maybe it's as simple as this. Diving, although it is vast and wide and old ideas are revamped slightly on an almost daily basis, basically just consists of us enjoying the opportunity to explore the underwater world for extended periods of time. In short, we get to live outside of our element for a while. After you add up all of the complicated gear and high tech stuff, it's still basically the same thing. How often do new things really come along that seriously alter our perception or our methods of diving? I would suspect not that often. So, maybe it's just a matter of the people on the board having covered many of the diving topics already. For serious divers like yourself, starting these dive-related threads and feeding them is a necessity... perhaps even a burden at times, because many of us are only recreational divers and as such we are hesitant to give too much advice, because we (myself personally) lack the extensive experience of hundreds or in some cases more than a thousand dives. If you check it out though, the archives are filled with great subjects about diving and I know that personally I asked lots questions of many experienced divers on this board... some in the forums, some in PM's and even more in person while on trips together. I don't think it's that anyone is intentionally steering toward other subjects consistently, I just think that the confines of any given sport are such that you can only talk about the same thing for so long before many people feel as if the discussion has already been run. Many opinions have already been offered about a vast array of subjects concerning diving and personally I find them all very useful... yes, on rare occasions, the acronyms or technical terms get used so freely that I am quickly lost, but for the most part it is highly educational and I sincerely appreciate that people who are much more qualified than myself are willing to share their knowledge with me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fairly new diver and I love all of the technical information and advice that is shared so freely on this forum, in fact I've made mention of that exact fact in several of my posts, but there is a finite amount of learning that is associated with diving... or any tangible subject for that matter. But human emotions? Love? Relationships? The sincere feelings of a woman? These are all stories that were begun at the dawn of mankind and shall be written for eternity. These are issues and discussions for which there are no fixed solutions and there never will be. We can ponder, share, cry, rejoice and relive many of our life experiences, yet nothing will truly prepare us for the next challenge we will face, for all of the steps that lead us to that door are different. Perhaps it does little more than bind us together in some small way... but sometimes even the smallest connection helps us cast away that dreaded fear of complete isolation. Sometimes, just knowing that others have felt our pain or basked in our victory is enough to carry us through to the next plateau. Maybe... it's nothing more than a room full of good friends who listen well... and the topics of dicussion will simply change like the seasons of life. No matter what the perspective, the thoughts and feelings are gifts... given freely... to be cherished or ignored, the choice is ours.

While all discussions here are relevant, I believe that it is the personal ones which really show the people on the other side of the screen. Perfect case and point, your passion for diving subjects would already put me more at ease if you were my diving buddy on the next trip... and your reputation for fun and adventure already precedes you. We would DEFINITELY get along very well. Of course, with buddies like Blublood, ScubaHawk and Bubski, I think it might be more fun to just have Wenchie rent a bunk house instead of hotel rooms next time! Then again, there are so many lovely ladies of SD to include as well... better make that a co-ed dorm instead WW! Love to all those GF's!

Seriously though, although I've been very pre-occupied lately and unable to visit the board as frequently as I would like, I enjoy all of the discussions, this one included. I just don't think we need to analyze this from a scientific viewpoint or in terms of "how" the board should be managed. It shouldn't... plain and simple. Just let it flow. There's plenty of room for more topics of every variety, so everyone just start threads they want to see started. There's no need for defining or outlining anything, just do it. Lord knows we have enough governing in our lives already. Let's just K.I.S.S.! "Keep it simple Singledivers.com"

And as my parting thoughts (Thank goodness he's shutting up!), I'll leave these few tidbits of wisdom that I always try to live by.

1. If you don't ask a woman to dance, you probably won't do much dancing in life. (ie: Just do it!)
2. If you are in a forum filled with women who are sharing their personal thoughts, consider yourself fortunate enough to be deemed a friend.
3. Whenever a woman talks, listen closely... and listen with your heart.

Miss you all!

TheScubaCowboy
Buy the special SingleDivers.com version of my SCUBA MUSIC CD "Just A Scuba Cowboy" here for only $15 with savings on multiple copies... each one is personally autographed and it's the perfect gift for divers and non-divers alike!

#45 surgeondress

surgeondress

Getting started

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Cert Level:Closed Circuit Optima Rebreater/Open Circuit Trimix
  • Logged Dives:1300

Posted 02 March 2006 - 08:39 PM

Hmmmmm. Have to agree with those on this thread that this site's reason for existence appears to be to discuss divers, diving, and relationship-building. And that's not bad. I read and post on CaveDiver.net, The Deco Stop, and Rebreather World and they get so bogged down in politics, assanine personalities, and conflicting tech/cave dogma that sometimes I wonder if any of those cyber-divers actually go underwater anymore. Although I'm married, I joined this site precisely because of it's purported goal, to hook up divers--not necessarily for diving AND romance. My spouse is not interested in the type of diving I do. I'm searching for a tech and cave diving lady within reasonable driving distance that is linterested in a partner with common sense, a dive boat, a dive trailer, and a lust for diving. And not just tech and cave diving. Lobstering is one of my passions as well.

It's difficult for most of us to find time off from work or extra cash to do exotic trips, and I understand that Florida for some is itself exotic... Living here has some advantages for sure. Certainly for those of you stating that winter is a reason you find (and post) more non-diving threads on this site, you should consider cave diving...the water is ALWAYS 72 degrees, and viz is excellent at a lot of places here. Plus it's downright affordable, and you never have to worry about wind, waves, or current...

Plus, if you aren't already diving a drysuit, that adds several months of offshore diving to the dive season, even here. Not to mention much more comfort.

Just my two cents.

surgeondress
:cool1:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users