• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Study finds dogs can accurately detect cancer in human breath samples

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,688 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 02 March 2006 - 04:13 PM

Et cetera: Study finds dogs can accurately detect cancer in human breath samples

02/07/2006

According to a report that will be published in the March issue of Integrative Cancer Therapies, researchers in California have trained dogs to detect breast and lung cancer with great accuracy using human breath samples, Knight Ridder reports. Researchers from the San Anselmo, Calif.-based Pine Street Foundation trained two Portuguese water dogs and three Labrador Retrievers to detect cancer using the “click-and-reward method” for about three weeks. The dogs were trained to sit or lie down when they detected cancer, and when the dogs correctly identified a sample as being cancerous, “they heard a click and received a food reward.” After conducting more than 12,200 separate “dog/breath sample interactions,” the dogs were able to detect breast cancer and lung cancer with 88% and 99% accuracy, respectively. Although the researchers say they know “very little” about the chemicals dogs smell that indicate cancer, their findings underscore the importance of more research to help explore the technique as a way of “allow[ing] for early detection of cancer” (Goldston, Knight Ridder/Boston Globe, 2/6).

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 Dive_buddy

Dive_buddy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:198

Posted 02 March 2006 - 07:52 PM

I knew a woman once, who had a Great Daine that kept pawing and fussing at her left side. This kept up for close to a year. Every chance he had, he would paw at, nuzzle and push at her lower left rib cage. Needless to say she was getting pretty tired of this and even started to scold and swat the dog. Then one day he pawed at her again, only this time he managed to scratch her. She slapped him hard for it. The dog lowered his head and then raised it hard into her ribs, knocking her to the ground. She had thought he had cracked or broken her ribs and went in for x-rays. The x-rays showed that she needed 1/3 of her left lung removed due to cancer. The docotors said that had it gone untreated much longer, there would have been no treatment.

That dog saved her life. He was not pawing at random places, it was always the same spot. And he never gave up.

I have no idea how he knew, all I know is that he knew.
Olympic diving is a sport. Scuba diving is an obsession.

#3 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 10:13 PM

60 Minutes actually did a story on this late last year. Very interesting!

#4 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,688 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 02 March 2006 - 10:43 PM

That's it...I'm getting a dog! I was engaged to one once...but that's a different story....aaarrrfffff! :evilgrin:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users