• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2004: Roatan Anyone??? Sept 11-18

• Please log in to reply
463 replies to this topic

#421 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 09 September 2004 - 01:33 PM

She just got dressed in a hurry in the dark....

SHHHSSSHH!!

that was supposed to be our little secret!

#422 SuperDave

SuperDave

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 01:34 PM

We're going to have some good fun bro!
Member of Sikorsky Light Utility Taxi Service Kuwait

#423 Blublood

Blublood

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue / EFR
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 09 September 2004 - 01:34 PM

And folks....I will be sending the updated full color of fin(Maddona)Grabber for your re-view soon!
“There is no more unhappy thing than a man who has accomplished all his ends in life.â€

#424 Blublood

Blublood

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 01:36 PM

Also please note....You can tell it is our very own finGrabber by the way she clutches...the ....uh...fins.....
“There is no more unhappy thing than a man who has accomplished all his ends in life.â€

#425 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 01:37 PM

Gar,

you are killing me!!

I'm trying to get some work done and all I can do is :lmao:

fMG

#426 Blublood

Blublood

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 01:38 PM

And also note it is a left hand clutch...we all know FG is a lefty!

#427 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 09 September 2004 - 01:41 PM

And to think I'm diving with this gang! Oh my gosh...the waters are NOT safe!!!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#428 Blublood

Blublood

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 01:43 PM

What are you talking about!!!!???? You're the instigator! :lmao:

#429 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 01:44 PM

oh, you say that now, but, you're still gonna have a blast!!!

#430 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 01:45 PM

And to think I'm diving with this gang!  Oh my gosh...the waters are NOT safe!!!

What are you talking about!!!!???? You're the instigator! :lmao:

thank you!!!

she is an instigator!

#431 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 04:13 PM

Ok gang, more info:

Room Safes: There are not individual room safes in the rooms...they are in the lobby. You pay a key deposit which you get back when you return your key at the end of the trip.

All Inclusive: Alcohol is not included in the package which is usually the case for all inclusives. However the resort offers decent Happy Hour prices but SD offers something better....SD HAPPY HAPPY HOURS! Each room will host a Happy Hour to cut down on the cost of alcohol as well as increase the fun we'll have! We'll get cheap liquor at the DUTY FREE store in Houston or whatever your departure city is to RTB. We'll get mixers from the hotel OR from a local grocery store. You may wish to bring nuts or snacks from the duty free store as well as their availability on the island will lend towards 'local' versions of typical snack foods.

Here's How it Works: Room 1 will host the first Happy Hour. Each person will buy their favorite liquor or alcohol or non-alcoholic drink(s) to imbibe at the duty free store or local grocery store if you prefer the local beer. Room 1 will buy an array of mixers such as coke, sprite, juice, etc. and plastic cups and some munchies if they desire. Each person brings their favorite alcohol to the Happy Hour in Room 1 from 5pm to 6:30pm and has a ball with thier fellow divers! We can be as noisy as we like...we can take as long as we like and we can have as much fun as we can stand!

At the end of the Happy Hour...folks depart and make plans for dinner at one of the resort's restaurants. On day 2, Room 2 will buy any of the mixers, cups etc from Room 1 that are left over and then only supplement that which they need to replace based upon what people were drinking the night before. On day 3, Room 3 will buy any mixers and cups etc. left over from room 2 and so on.

Diving:

How is a typical day of diving in Fantasy Island?

The dive schedule changes, depends on the weather. But, after a nice night of sleep the divers get up and enjoy a good breakfast buffet style and go down to the dive shop where they receive a dive orientation if, they have not received it yet, after that they are ready for their first dive on the boat that leaves at 9:00 a.m. and come back around 10:15 a.m. or 10:45 a.m. depending on how far was the boat ride, they relax on the beach and goes back out at 11:00 a.m.

Going to the dive site, divers sunbathe on the top of the boat. The Dive Master has a dive map with the dive site briefs the divers and leads the divers on the dive. Divers will come back around 12:30, so they can enjoy their lunch in our outdoor "La Palapa" Restaurant, and relax. The last boat dive of the day is at 2:30 p.m.

After this dive many divers like to make some shore dives at the famous "Prince Albert" or "NEW Man's Wall". Or just relax on the beach with a cool beer or a good PiƱa Colada.

At 5:00 p.m. they can enjoy the resorts Happy Hour with some games and entertainment, or they can go on a night dive once a week.

At 6.30 p.m. the restaurant, either outside or inside opens to offer a fine buffet style dinner, with a wide variety of salads, vegetables, soup, pasta, fish, meat, chicken, shrimps, lobster, cheese, dressings, fruit, delicious desserts, and ice cream. Also they can enoy the wide variety of wines.

After all of these, they are ready to go and get nice sleep until the next day!!

So....we'll have 3 boat dives per day as part of our package and unlimited shore diving! The boat dives are not manditory however they are not refundable either. If you decide to sleep in you'll miss at most one dive since each boat dive is a separate event. I'm still working with the resort on whether we'll all be on the same boat or on two different boats based upon skill levels.

Boat Dive Times are:

9am
11am
2:30pm

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#432 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 09 September 2004 - 11:14 PM

OK, this probably seems like a really silly question, but I am at my wit's end regarding what clothes to pack!!! Finally starting to throw things together (at the last minute... always my style!!!). Temps in Roatan.. tropical, hot, humid, even rainy, highs 90s, lows 70s. Usually to me that means skimpy, skimpy. BUT also sand fleas and the promise of several non-beautifying bites. Some info I have seen online advocates wearing long-sleeved clothing and pants to protect from the bites. I just can't imagine it!!!!!

Girls, are you just going to wing it with warm weather clothes and Deet to protect any exposed skin? Or should I hunt down a safari outfit???? :o

#433 DandyDon

DandyDon

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 10 September 2004 - 01:05 AM

OK, this probably seems like a really silly question, but I am at my wit's end regarding what clothes to pack!!! Finally starting to throw things together (at the last minute... always my style!!!). Temps in Roatan.. tropical, hot, humid, even rainy, highs 90s, lows 70s. Usually to me that means skimpy, skimpy. BUT also sand fleas and the promise of several non-beautifying bites. Some info I have seen online advocates wearing long-sleeved clothing and pants to protect from the bites. I just can't imagine it!!!!!

Girls, are you just going to wing it with warm weather clothes and Deet to protect any exposed skin? Or should I hunt down a safari outfit???? :hiya:

This from a lady who was born in Africa and goes back to visit? :teeth:

You're allowed 140# of checked luggage; the porters, then airline, then porters will carry it all the way to your room ; take it all. When you have your dive bag ready to go to the dive shop, call for a porter. I did, with a pony bottle and a coffee maker. (Their coffee is bad, decaf worse.)

Pink skinned Lynn from Canuckland will have a challenge with the bugs, perhaps, but darker complected folks like you and me usually don't - as much. Try skimpy & freqeunt skeeter spray first.

But take call J.C.Pennys and see if they have light colored Khakis for short folks. If not, ask for referrals. Take some heavy rubber bands that just fall off of your ankles and wrists, and 90% Deet from a sporting goods store to spray on the khakis before donning. If you have to resort to long sleeve, blouse the pants and sleeves with the rubber bands (Kamala is military, albeit Air Force, so she shoud know how? Okay, SuperDave will!) to form a physical barrier at the ankles and wrists. Then spray the exposed areas again.

Or, stay off of the sand. Concrete sidewalk benind the buildings connects them all to the dive shop.

All the above is just in case, as I doubt you'll have a problem - jungle tours notwithstanding. They don't allow deet in some preserves! :o
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#434 brun1226

brun1226

Getting started

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Cert Level:A.O.W
  • Logged Dives:101

Posted 10 September 2004 - 04:24 AM

Today is the day for final plans and packing.Got everything in order so far lets hope all flights are on time.

Attached Images

• coral_fingers.jpg

#435 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 06:40 AM

Hey Bruno welcome! You are a mystery guy but Michael V. loves you as you filled his spot!

Ok as for the last minute packing:

1. I've been to Roatan and the skeeters are pretty fierce but they were fierce in Grenada as well as most countries like that. FREQUENT application of bug juice is the trick and staying on the concrete!
2. Don is right...suntanned and darker skin tones are LESS of a target for skeeters. Seems they love the pump, juicy, soft white skin of Lynne and I.
3. Bring some Benadryl for the bites to stop the itch
4. Yes you can use large rubber bands to hold your pants or sleeves close to the arm and create a physical barrier. I've never had to go that far in the past but even light weight summer slacks would do the trick.
5. As for clothes the bugs will be worse in the evening and early hours of the am. During the day shorts and stuff should be fine.
6. I am essentially packing the same way I always do...a couple pairs of jeans, slacks for the evening and shorts for the day.

Night Dive:

Our dive package includes 3 dives a day and 1 night dive. I do not know which night the night dive will be on until I get to the resort and work out the boat details with them then! Don't forget to bring LIGHTS if you are night diving! And yes check batteries...I usually have lights...but no batteries!

Day of Arrival:

Most of you will be arriving with me at around 11am tomorrow in Roatan. Two of our lovely ladies will arrive later in the afternoon around 5:30pm. We will have an official "Meet and Greet" when Lynne and Gail arrive at 7pm at my room until I can designate another spot! (For those that want to start early...that can be arranged as well!)

Agenda:

-Arrive at Airport.
-Hotel will pick us up and shuttle us to the hotel.
-Check into hotel. (Rooming assignments will be made as soon as I get the surveys back from everyone!)
- Note: Kamala to set up diving at Dive Shop for the week. (The boats are a first come first served set up so I must get to the dive shop as soon as we arrive at the hotel and you all are checking in!)
-After checking in head to the dive shop and I should have the lay of the land for the diving for the week.
-Many of you may wish to do Day of Arrival Diving...I'm guessing it will be shore diving however if you wish to charter the 2:30pm boat that can arranged for an additional charge of $25-30US.
-Rest of the day on your own.
-Happy Hour 6pm at Wreck Wench's (Kamala) room until further notice!
-Official Meet and Greet 7pm at Wreck Wench's (Kamala) room until further notice!
-Group Dinner at 8pm (or anytime you wish to dine since there are 2 restaurants)

Daily:

Breakfast at 7:30-8am
First Dive 9am boat departs
Second Dive 11 am
Lunch 12:30
Third Dive 2:30pm
Happy Hour @ Hotel 5:30-7pm
Happy Hour at each Single Divers.com room at 6pm-7pm
Dinner 7:30pm at the resort or on your own.

Other:

One day and evening we can go into town, Coxen Hole, and see the local flavor of the very small town there. We can also visit a local night club and do dinner on the town. The resort will charter a bus for us so it will wait and bring us back when we are ready to return. This will cost extra...about $25-30 US per person if we are interested plus the price of the meal. (I need to arrange this so I'll need to know fairly soon after arriving in Roatan if you all want to do this! I've done it before and its fun!)

Gifts & Local Bric-a-brac:

Most of the local vendors will come to the hotel and offer their wares as there is not much to see in the local towns for gift shopping. Tours are available to get into the more remote parts of the country which are beautiful or to go shopping in Coxen Hole.

Board of Info:

I will have a whiteboard either in the lobby, or at my room or some other central designation that will have information for our group such as dinner times, where to meet for the Happy Hours etc. This will be information central so look to it for last minute details!

Other things to do:

Roatan offers a host of non-diving things to do such as water sports, island tours,
etc. We have one non-diver joining us on the trip...Lynn Linnville so anyone else who wants to join into non-diving activities are more then welcome! The resort also has a swimming pool, tennis & basketball courts, etc.

Water Sports:

Fantasy Island Water Sport Center Water equipment rental.

Qty. ..Description/Size/Engine Type... Rental price per hour
4 -----Wave Runner ------VXR 650 ------$53.00
N/A --Fishing Boat 24' --------------------$50.00
N/A --With Captain 1/2 day. -------------$150.00
2 -----Sunfish Sail ------------------------$15.00
2 Canoas Paddle --------------------------Free (No Charge)
10 Kayacs. Paddle ------------------------Free (No Charge)

* Fantasy Island Water Sports Center is open daily from 8:00am until 6:00pm.
* Equipment is for rental use on Fantasy Island property and boats only.
* Amounts payable in US Dollars or Honduras Lempiras at the current rate posted at the front desk.
* Equipment must be returned by 5:00

Check out the available Tours!

Note: Tours start at 9:30am and end by 11am daily. If you want to join in and participate in the activities contact Emilio at the Events Desk.

1. Island Tour $45.00 / adult
Visit the Marine Science Museum, the Dolphin Show, the beach of West Bay, the Glass Bottom Boat and go shopping to Coxen Hole.

2. Nature Tour $35.00 / adult
Come with us to the Tropical Bird Park, the Dolphin Show, the Carambola Botanical Gardens and the Iguana Farm.

3. Mangrove Canals Tour $30.00 / adult
Explore the 100 years old Mangrove Canals by motor dory in Oak Ridge, the Garifuna village of Punta Gorda and buy fresh hand made jellies at Marbel Hill's Farm.

4. Sunset Cruise $24.00 / adult
Enjoy the Caribbean Sunset on the fishing town of French Harbor while sipping rum and listen to tropical music. Including drinks

All activities & events are subject to change in price, time and if weather is permitting.
Tax not included.

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users