• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Who Got Certified in another Country

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#16 cmt489

cmt489

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 21 June 2006 - 03:00 PM

I did most of my OW here but finished up my last two OW dives in the Phillippines. While there I also got my AOW. I did my Nitrox in Roatan.

#17 BlueSail

BlueSail

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Cert Level:DiveMaster , Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 21 June 2006 - 03:36 PM

B2B,

By no means was my DM training in Mexico a blank-check sign off sort of thing. My instructor (Luis Quintana with Aldora Divers) and I would do two recreational dives in the morning with the rest of the clients, then he would say "OK let's get to work." It was a very intensive 10 days or so of classwork, exams, and at least 4-5 hours every day in the water reviewing all the necessary skills (from free-style swimming, basic AO skills, and on up through rescue training. I mean I repeated EVERYTHING I have ever had to do before, until Luis was satisfied with my performance. Luis was a pretty big guy, but he still made me "rescue" him by doing a fireman's carry barefoot over a rocky beach. Fortunately, I'm 6'4" and about 220 pounds, but it still wasn't easy. My point is that I was very happy with the level of instruction I got there in Cozumel. By the way, I also picked up NITROX training with Aldora a few years before I did DM training with them

Perrone,

I really didn't mean to slam NAUI. Like I said, I'm sure there are a few poor instructors in ANY agency. I don't think NAUI has any more or any fewer than elsewhere. And I'm sure that the vast majority of instructors (NAUI, PADI, SSI, YMCA, and all the rest) are top-notch, competent teachers. I guess what I was trying to express was an unrealistic connection that I still can't seem to shake.

But my real issue is why any agency would qualify someone to be an instructor when they don't have adequate skills and experince. I sometimes see people rush through OW, AOW, Rescue, and then DM training and turn around and get instructor credentials in a very short period of time without the benefit of diving in a variety of conditions and in a variety of places. I deliberately waited 5 years after I did my OW and AOW training to pursue my DM rating (I have been a free-diver ever since college, diving for abalone in Northern California, but didn't do OW SCUBA training until 1998, and then DM training in 2003).

You raise a great issue though. I've always tried to pick what I thought was a good dive shop or dive operator through which to do training but never looked specifically at individual instructors. I agree that is something we should all be doing more often.

#18 Ariesno1

Ariesno1

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600

Posted 21 June 2006 - 06:03 PM

AOW in Grand Cayman. Nitrox in Bonaire

#19 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:01 PM

By the way... there are a number of countries which offer far more rigorous certification programs than here in the States. CMAS comes to mind. Then there are a number which are laughable unless you get a good instructor.

#20 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI AOW, TDI Nitrox (does it really matter to you??)
  • Logged Dives:130 something

Posted 22 June 2006 - 06:37 AM

OW in Maui (sigh), AOW in San Carlos, MX with the last couple of dives in limited vis in Canyon Lake, AZ. Maui may not be a different country, but it sure costs like one!

For the OW I lucked out and got a great instructor :dancing: (thanks, Warren!). I mean, *how* do you pick a good one when you truly haven't a clue yet, other than by luck?

I initially tried the AOW in Key Largo, but got frustrated and blew it off 'till I'd found an excellent instructor near home that I'd gotten to know and :respect:

For my next courses, I'm taking advice from others here. The experience levels here is invaluable! :)

#21 colby

colby

Getting started

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Deep, Nitrox, Wreck and EFR.
  • Logged Dives:45

Posted 22 June 2006 - 08:05 AM

I did my classroom work and confined dives here in Ottawa last fall, and then did my referal dives in Provo (T&C). I was lucky and had excellent instructors for all of it. I am currently finishing my AOW, dives are this weekend, and I am taking my rescue course with the same instructor who did my OW classroom and pool work. It's all great fun.

#22 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 08:29 AM

For the OW I lucked out and got a great instructor :) (thanks, Warren!). I mean, *how* do you pick a good one when you truly haven't a clue yet, other than by luck?

Yea, it's a problem for OW unless you know people who are really into diving and they can give good advice. That's why I specified AOW or Nitrox, since the diver would already be certified, and hopefully have some perspective on what they wanted more or less in an instructor.

#23 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 22 June 2006 - 02:33 PM

I think I am the only person who had done ALL their certs at home.
Yep..you heard correctly.. ALL of them done in Puget Sound.. my back yard.

I have traveled to other countries.. dove there but did all my work at home.
I sort of figured if I was going to dive at home. I needed to learn my skills there.

I am not against getting certs while on vacation.
I just believe you need to train in the water you will be diving most often.
I dive the chilly current driven waters of Puget Sound weekly. It only makes sense for me to earn my stripes here.

Just my 2 psi... I know others have different opinions.

Edited by gis_gal, 22 June 2006 - 02:34 PM.

Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#24 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 22 June 2006 - 02:38 PM

Yep..you heard correctly.. ALL of them done in Puget Sound.. my back yard.

ummmmm.....nope! :D I did all my certifications in my backyard as well, Puget Sound/Hood Canal that I share with you, and what's worse is over the past 14 years the trend has been to take classes in January - March, our coldest months!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#25 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 02:40 PM

No, not the only.

#26 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 22 June 2006 - 03:00 PM

What amazes me about recreational SCUBA training is how people do NO homework in selecting an instructor

lets see.
seeing as how recreational SCUBA is nowhere near as complicated as: bringing Apollo 13 safely back to Earth, launching the space shuttle, crossing the Atlantic in a kayak, flying or landing a plane, or raiding an Al'Qaida hideout

i simply walked into one of the two shops in my town which offer SCUBA instruction and signed up.

they showed me how to put the gear together, how to use it, and what to do.

16 years later, i'm still alive.

must not be that difficult.

i wanted to dive, so i looked for a dive instruction sign.
not realy sure what kind of homework i was supposed to do.
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#27 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 03:12 PM

Given some of the stories I've heard about OW training, you'd be surprised. Of course, none of it tops the story I heard last weekend, of the CCR diver who died in class... on a checkout dive.

#28 nextariel

nextariel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 22 June 2006 - 06:46 PM

Nitrox in Roatan, but I had already read the book. They showed me their system for logging, analzying, and marking my tank. I also did 2 dives with instructor before taking my test. But free nitrox for the week because of taking the class.
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#29 tracker

tracker

Getting started

• Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:18

Posted 23 June 2006 - 06:37 AM

First training was in the Philippines 25 years ago, by American military divers. It was good training for the time, but I found out last year that NAUI has no record of me. I did a little research and found that there were people making easy money handing out fake cards. At least they did the training right. Re-certed this year by PADI. The military guys were hard core and thorough, while the civilian instructor was not as enthusiastic, trying to push us through.

#30 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 23 June 2006 - 07:55 AM

ummmmm.....nope! :) I did all my certifications in my backyard as well, Puget Sound/Hood Canal that I share with you, and what's worse is over the past 14 years the trend has been to take classes in January - March, our coldest months!

We both know those are the best months for diving here.
Vis is at its best and the critters are out and about.

I have done a few certs during those months... Awwww water colder than 50 degrees...
HEAVEN... :birthday:
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users