• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

NY/NJ/PA Tri-state July HH

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#46 Got_Air?Will_Dive

Got_Air?Will_Dive

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 06:46 AM

.....We just need to get an idea for what all of you want on the menu. Then we'll spread the costs out per person based on what we are bbq'in! ......
Jemiah :)

I suggest we keep the main course simple picnic food, i.e., hot dogs, burgers, salads, fruit, cheese, soda, etc. We might even want to go with cold sandwiches if we are going to do lunch. That way no one will starve if I accidentally burn everything on the grill (wouldn't be the first time).

If anyone wants something a little more exotic, they can just bring it with them. I'm going to try smuggling in a bottle of Champagne. (I hope the DS operators aren't reading this board) :D

Monte, you are a genius and, I'm sure, grill master! :fish: But just in case, I'd already thought of the 12' long sub. :)

Of course, I'll have that toast of champagne (what kind?) with you for celebrating my brain teaster success! :) (I also love how it's just you and me on the board at 8:30AM on a Saturday--I wasn't going to post this weekend but I had to respond to this one!) And no, the DS operators I spoke with were underage teeny-bopper girls; they would be none the wiser since we'll be drinking past their bedtime. 'Operation Smuggle' is a-go! :(

#47 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 01 July 2006 - 07:25 AM

This sounds like a fun get together... however, Sandy and I will will be in florida. We're flying out on Saturday and will be staying in Key Largo and diving in the Keys for a week, Have fun ya'll!
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

#48 Got_Air?Will_Dive

Got_Air?Will_Dive

• PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 10:04 AM

Is everyone staying in tents or are there hotels near by? Maybe I can get some guys from VA to make the trip too. If not for the diving, for the 'watermelons!'

There are motels in nearby Easton and Allentown (yes, the Allentown in the Billy Joel song). When I've done an overnighter, I've generally stayed at the Red Roof Inn in Allentown.

Rick
:usflag:

Hey, Rick! Does this mean that you're not camping out with us? Hope you can make it to the July HH!

#49 Got_Air?Will_Dive

Got_Air?Will_Dive

• PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 10:06 AM

I may actually be able to at least show up for a few dives on this HH. I only live 1 hour from Dutch and I have it on my calendar.

Fantastic, Dennis! :usflag: I'll finally get to meet and dive with the baby! :cool1:

#50 Got_Air?Will_Dive

Got_Air?Will_Dive

• PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 10:07 AM

This sounds like a fun get together... however, Sandy and I will will be in florida. We're flying out on Saturday and will be staying in Key Largo and diving in the Keys for a week, Have fun ya'll!

We'll miss you at the July HH, CaptSaaz and Starfish Sandy! I'll have to plan a HH towards your way in August! Have fun in the Keys! :usflag:

#51 BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW + Deep, Wreck, Drysuit, Navigation, Night, Rescue, Nitrox Specialties
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 02 July 2006 - 05:36 AM

....On a side note: I can bring a set of doubles, backplate, wing if anyone was thinking about wanting to try them out. .......

Mark, I would like to try out your doubles rig if it's really not too much trouble to bring it. I'm curious to see what it feels like in the water and how it changes my weight requirement in a 7mil wetsuit.

In fact, I think it would be great if we set aside some time at this event for the more experienced divers to demo or talk about something they want to share. Kind of like informal training.

Topics could be anything: pony bottle usage, lift bag deployment, back finning technique, gear choices and arrangement, something interesting you discovered that works well, etc.

Got Air - What do you think? Maybe we could do this on Sunday for an hour or so?
BB

When you make fish laugh, they can't bite you.

#52 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 02 July 2006 - 07:32 AM

Topics could be anything: pony bottle usage, lift bag deployment, back finning technique, gear choices and arrangement, something interesting you discovered that works well, etc.

Got Air - What do you think? Maybe we could do this on Sunday for an hour or so?

That sounds like a great idea. I'd like to learn about pony bottles and back finning and only shot a bag a couple of times when I was in Thailand.

But now I'm kind of bummed out because I've having doubts about going. My mom is going to a wedding on Sat and won't be able to supervise my teen. I'm wondering if I can trust him not to throw a party while I'm gone. :usflag:

#53 BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW + Deep, Wreck, Drysuit, Navigation, Night, Rescue, Nitrox Specialties

Posted 02 July 2006 - 09:16 AM

......... My mom is going to a wedding on Sat and won't be able to supervise my teen. I'm wondering if I can trust him not to throw a party while I'm gone........ :usflag:

My wife works in a high school. She says no matter what your son tells you about a party, he's lying. :cool1:

Why don't you bring him with you?
BB

#54 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 02 July 2006 - 10:16 AM

......... My mom is going to a wedding on Sat and won't be able to supervise my teen. I'm wondering if I can trust him not to throw a party while I'm gone........ :cool1:

My wife works in a high school. She says no matter what your son tells you about a party, he's lying. :thankyou:

Because he works weekends and he would never go back to Dutch. He tried to do his check out dives there one year in April when it was cold, rainy muddy and just miserable. He would never go back unless I could guarentee him teenage girls in bikinnis.

Actually, he said he would come along. The only drawback is that he would lose a lot of money by missing Sat. & Sun. And I do want to take him diving somewhere in August and he'd lose money then too. But he did say he wouldn't have a party if I left him. :usflag:

Edited by Fairybasslet, 02 July 2006 - 03:40 PM.

#55 nyc-diver

nyc-diver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Cert Level:advanced open water
  • Logged Dives:30

Posted 02 July 2006 - 07:38 PM

......... My mom is going to a wedding on Sat and won't be able to supervise my teen. I'm wondering if I can trust him not to throw a party while I'm gone........ :birthday:

My wife works in a high school. She says no matter what your son tells you about a party, he's lying. :dance:

Because he works weekends and he would never go back to Dutch. He tried to do his check out dives there one year in April when it was cold, rainy muddy and just miserable. He would never go back unless I could guarentee him teenage girls in bikinnis.

Actually, he said he would come along. The only drawback is that he would lose a lot of money by missing Sat. & Sun. And I do want to take him diving somewhere in August and he'd lose money then too. But he did say he wouldn't have a party if I left him. :birthday:

You should pursue the girls in bikinis approach anyway! :twist:

Edited by nyc-diver, 02 July 2006 - 07:46 PM.

#56 Got_Air?Will_Dive

Got_Air?Will_Dive

• PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 09:44 AM

....On a side note: I can bring a set of doubles, backplate, wing if anyone was thinking about wanting to try them out. .......

Mark, I would like to try out your doubles rig if it's really not too much trouble to bring it. I'm curious to see what it feels like in the water and how it changes my weight requirement in a 7mil wetsuit.

In fact, I think it would be great if we set aside some time at this event for the more experienced divers to demo or talk about something they want to share. Kind of like informal training.

Hi, Monte! :)

You bring up great topics for diving-related discussions! I do want to point out that HH's are a social event where SD divers of all ranges of experience can congregate to hang out with other divers, to dive with them, or to do both. In that vein, the HH itself will a good opportunity for those who would like to meet dive buddies to discuss the prospect of further dive training, as well as continue discussions from the board. But first and foremost, HH's are the best way for SD divers to continue the camaraderie from the board and to have fun in an laid-back environment. :D As much as it would be beneficial to several divers to integrate dive training into an HH and dive event, it is not in the scope of the broad purposes of an SD social event. I'm sure that several of those attending the HH would be pleased to discuss plans for future dive training with you during the HH and would be interested in setting up a future dive training clinic via SD or otherwise. I do believe that a few SD dive training clinics have occurred in the past, but I will need to be advised on whether that will be a role for an HH Planner going forward. I'll let you know at the HH if it is a possibility. Meanwhile, I look forward to discussing dive topics in the SD online forum and continuing them at the HH. :birthday:

I'm also quite certain that if your grill skills are as top-notch as your dive skills, divers will show up at the HHs to recruit you to train with them and to feed them afterwards! :diver: Thanks again for your interesting topics.

Best,

Jemiah :(

Edited by got_air?will_dive, 03 July 2006 - 10:31 AM.

#57 Got_Air?Will_Dive

Got_Air?Will_Dive

• PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 09:55 AM

......... My mom is going to a wedding on Sat and won't be able to supervise my teen. I'm wondering if I can trust him not to throw a party while I'm gone........ :diver:

My wife works in a high school. She says no matter what your son tells you about a party, he's lying. :D

Actually, he said he would come along. The only drawback is that he would lose a lot of money by missing Sat. & Sun. And I do want to take him diving somewhere in August and he'd lose money then too. But he did say he wouldn't have a party if I left him. :(

Ellen, you gotta come to the HH! :birthday: No one else is as worthy of getting into mischief with than you! :) Besides, I need another warm-water wuss to hold my hand as we plunge into the lake full of dark, skin-tight clad men showing off their pony bottles and safety sausages. Enticing, isn't it?! :D If that doesn't do it for you, will a tent-share with your pick of diver work? :D

Edited by got_air?will_dive, 03 July 2006 - 09:56 AM.

#58 solodiver in nj

solodiver in nj

• PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Cert Level:aow
  • Logged Dives:+/-300 ? (not logged)

Posted 03 July 2006 - 05:26 PM

Monte,
I am not an Instructor, so I can only talk to you about how I do things, they may not be correct in other people's eyes. Center of gravity definitely changes. I remember first using them in a pool and face planted right into the deep end, talk about funny, trying to get myself bouyant like nothing happened, cracking up the whole time saying to myself I can't believe this is happenning, I can't believe this is happening, is Jim ( my friend) looking, man I hope not, I can't believe this is happen...

Anyway, if I make it, I will definitely bring them with me.
Mark

#59 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:43 PM

Hey all,

I'm actually free to dive that weekend and I'd be willing to run the gear clinic/tek prep if anyone is interested.

~ Trace
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#60 BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:49 AM

Hey all,

I'm actually free to dive that weekend and I'd be willing to run the gear clinic/tek prep if anyone is interested.

~ Trace

I'm definitely interested. count me in.
BB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users