• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

08/06 PNW HH & Dive - The search for the elusive six gill SHARKS!

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#106 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 25 July 2006 - 10:49 PM

Last Wednesday, though, was a little surreal since a diver had passed away at Cove 2 the night before. Some onlookers who seemed to have been there the night before were a little concerned about us. Apparently the diver was out of gas at 100', and became unconscious while buddy breathing to the surface. A bunch of divers helped with the rescue, along with the Coast Guard, aid units, and cops. Been away at a boat race all weekend, so don't know if there are any more details out there. There definitely was an odd feeling in the air that night.
Rich

Here's the link:

http://www.northwest...read.php?t=6607

Dive safe and becareful out there...
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#107 Diver_C

Diver_C

Getting started

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:115

Posted 28 July 2006 - 06:15 PM

Thank you!

By the way a six-gill was hanging out at the I-Beams Wednesday - yee-haw!!! :thankyou:

Have a great weekend everyone!

Rich

Edited by Diver_C, 28 July 2006 - 06:19 PM.

Go Fast, Turn Left. http://www.apbanw.com - http://www.goboatracing.net
Wa. state family law attorneys http://www.danceycassady.com

#108 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 28 July 2006 - 11:26 PM

Dang it.. I was at Alki tonight.. but with an OW newbie diver..
Stayed above 50' Had a good dive but got no where near the I-beams.

I did hear that they are seeing an 8' shark above 100' at Les Davis.
My one buddy was to go dive there tonight I will check and see if he had any luck.
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#109 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 29 July 2006 - 01:05 AM

Dang it.. I was at Alki tonight.. but with an OW newbie diver..
Stayed above 50' Had a good dive but got no where near the I-beams.

I did hear that they are seeing an 8' shark above 100' at Les Davis.
My one buddy was to go dive there tonight I will check and see if he had any luck.

We were at Cove 2 tonight around 8pm, were at the I-beams and beyond but no Sixgill :banghead:

#110 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 31 July 2006 - 10:39 AM

While gearing up for a night dive on Saturday evening at Mike's Beach in Hood Canal, 4 divers from Eugene Skin Divers were setting their AOW float and line for the next day's dives. They looped the float and line to the deep crates North of the dock that ESD constructed and uses. Tide was high so the crates were in about 85-90fsw. They ascended to 70fsw to tie off the line. While hanging in mid-water around 70fsw, they were buzzed by a 10-12' six gill! It was about 8pm. The six gill circled one of the divers which is when the other 3 saw it. They got the 4th diver's attention, he turned just in time to see the tail. They followed it down to where they said it returned to the bottom in about 90fsw. They said this was their 3rd six gill sighting at Mike's Beach. I'd had no clue!

Well as you can imagine, we suited quickly and dove in that same area, but to no avail. We even went back in for a second dive and still no sighting! :tears: I was still happy for the divers who saw the six gill - they were very excited!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#111 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 31 July 2006 - 10:53 AM

AS A REMINDER

Although there was recent diving accident at Cove 2, dive accidents can happen anywhere at any time. I wanted to simply remind everyone who will be joining us on August 19th about personal responsibility. A few of us have noted this in a number of posts in this thread, but it's good to post another reminder. The dives on August 19th will be more advanced dives at twighlight and night to recreational depths as decided upon you and your dive buddy. On a local dive board, a dive professional I have dove with and respect said it well when he said:

I can say that I have seen many people go deep at Cove 2 with little or no comprehension of even basic gas management.

Please be reminded to discuss and decide upon your dive plan with your dive buddy on the 19th. Don't just throw around the term "gas management." Gas management may mean different things to different divers, so talk about it. Use it in your dive planning. Do not exceed your training or comfort level - no one else can "dive for you." Dive your plan. Be a good buddy.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#112 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 08:22 PM

morris0352 (Kyle) - thanks for letting me know you are interested in joining us for this adventure! Very cool! We are currently looking at dive teams. Any thoughts/preferences? It's good to buddy up with someone with your similar dive interests and/or training.

Currently gcbryan (Gray) and I are buddies. gis_gal (Colleen) and TonyL (Tony) are buddies. Hey fbp (Frank) and boydski (Scott) are you two wanting to pair up or would you prefer to each join up different buddy teams for your photography? Depending on what you two are intersted in we might look at seeing if BrinyBay (Greg), Diver_C (Rich), and morris0352 (Kyle) might team up? Or Kyle could maybe join up with gis_gal (Colleen) and TonyL (Tony) - let GG take the military boys diving..... :teeth:

If my friends Edward & Tom make it - they will buddy up and if my DMs make it - they will buddy up.

Let me know what y'all are thinking!

#113 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 02 August 2006 - 09:16 PM

Well there's not much down there that I'd want to photograph, so will be shooting divers doing diver stuff.

The strobes might interfere with each other so I'd lean for going with a group, be 3rd? or whatever... You all do what you want and I'll tag along on the side, taking photos of you all.. and of course the 2 6-gills that we'll see..

Also, I don't make a good dive buddy, but not a problem diving with Scott.. pretty much up to him eh??

My choice would be an "Extra" with a team/group...

Hope that helps..
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#114 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 11:11 PM

My choice would be an "Extra" with a team/group...

That's what I trying to convey when saying you might want to each join up different buddy teams for your photography. I just didn't say it well! :diver:

#115 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 02 August 2006 - 11:13 PM

I will do my best to be the best surface interval buddy that the group has ever seen! :diver:

#116 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 03 August 2006 - 08:07 AM

CMT ~ I have no doubt you will be the best surface support anyone has ever seen.
I feel safe knowing you are above watching and waiting for our return.
We might need to find you a surface support buddy. :)

I am getting excited this will be lots of fun.
Remember midnight margaritas at my house afterwards.
I think I owe DG several dozen by now. Finally get to pay up. :diver:

If your planning on stopping over let me know and bring something along to share with the group.
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#117 Diver_C

Diver_C

Getting started

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:115

Posted 03 August 2006 - 06:22 PM

I'll pair up with anyone. No big deal to me. I will be diving with doubles, so that is probably an important buddy-pairing issue.

Dove Olive's Den, I-Beams, and the boundary line between Coves 2 & 3 last night. No sharks, but crazy good visibility, about 25-30 feet. :P The vis probably did not help the shark quest, but for being in the middle of summer, and such a beautiful night out, it was amazing to see so well.

Rich
Go Fast, Turn Left. http://www.apbanw.com - http://www.goboatracing.net
Wa. state family law attorneys http://www.danceycassady.com

#118 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 06:43 PM

I'll pair up with anyone. No big deal to me. I will be diving with doubles, so that is probably an important buddy-pairing issue.

I am not sure that anyone else is planning on diving doubles at this point, but I don't that will be any kind of issue unless you are thinking it would affect your dive plan. In fact, anyone pairing with you would be lucky to have you and your roving air station! That's what we call our doubles!! :P How about you plan on buddying with BrinyBay (Greg) and morris0352 (Kyle) unless we end up with an even number where we can split back into 2s.

#119 TonyL

TonyL

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100

Posted 04 August 2006 - 12:04 PM

I may dive my doubles, at least for one of the dives.

Very cool about sharks at Les Davis. It's my favorite of the close shore dives. Do 6-gills eat seals? I'd hate to lose Sammy. He disappeared when the orcas swam by there one day last fall.

Also very cool to have them in Hood Canal.

Tony

#120 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 04 August 2006 - 08:53 PM

Not trying to change the subject, but since many of the PNW folk are gathered here, I want to get some feedback from y'all on this thread:

http://www.singlediv...showtopic=10274
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users