• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

08/06 PNW HH & Dive - The search for the elusive six gill SHARKS!

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#91 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 18 July 2006 - 02:46 PM

And cmt489, since you are one of my close friends - if possible, I will lure a six gill back to shore for you...attached to my dive buddy...

Hey, quit talking about me ....:cheerleader:

I'll remember this comment while you are by the head of the sixgill maybe I'll decide to just give it a little tug on the tail ....buddy :cool1:

#92 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 18 July 2006 - 03:14 PM

:cheerleader: UNCLE UNCLE - ok I give. :cool1:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#93 Diver_C

Diver_C

Getting started

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:115

Posted 18 July 2006 - 03:24 PM

Maybe both of you will be walking out with sharks attached; self-sacrifice is to be applauded (and encouraged). I will have my camera ready.
Go Fast, Turn Left. http://www.apbanw.com - http://www.goboatracing.net
Wa. state family law attorneys http://www.danceycassady.com

#94 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 18 July 2006 - 03:35 PM

I realized another one of our PNW members hasn't rang in yet - so I sent a PM to GlazingMcGyver! He dove with us in May and I hope Steve can join us again! Colleen, I told him you have lots of floor space! :cheerleader:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#95 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 18 July 2006 - 03:39 PM

DG ~ You are correct.. Heck.. Why behave.
I just hope the rest can keep up with the 3 of us. :cheerleader:
If you hear from Steve let him know he is welcome to stay at my place.
I still have the same floor space as last time. There is always room for one more diver.
Or in CMT's case one more nondiving diver...

Sleepover and Midnight Margaritas at my house it is. :cool1:
Not sure if we will make history but I do know behaving is not something we will do much of.

Edited by gis_gal, 18 July 2006 - 03:42 PM.

Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#96 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 04:23 PM

Or in CMT's case one more nondiving diver...

What??? We'll be diving into margaritas!

So, what do you want Michell and me to bring!? Tequila, snacks...etc?

Oh and I might be bringing two other divers with me - Tom & Edward! Can they crash too - or we call can tent it in the front lawn! Wha-hoo!

#97 TonyL

TonyL

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:26 AM

I'm in for sure. Hopefully, I'll be sporting a new can light.

Colleen, I'll probably take you up on the slumber party as well. I'm looking forward to meeting people in person.

Tony

#98 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:40 AM

HAve you warned the neighbours yet, Colleen? :-D

#99 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 10:31 AM

Sounds like lots of fun. We will figure it all out as it gets closer.

CMT ~ I have neighbors but none are right next door. I am surrounded by wet lands.
Makes it nice to not share a fence with anyone.

Tony ~ A new can light.. now I am very jealous. It will be great diving with you again.
I have missed having you around as a dive buddy.

#100 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:03 AM

I saw my first Sixgill of the year tonight at Owens Beach. It was a 7' female at about 110 fsw at around 7pm.

Now that my Sixgill radar is obviously working I'm sure that we will have success on our Cove 2 Sixgill search :)

#101 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 23 July 2006 - 08:01 AM

I saw my first Sixgill of the year tonight at Owens Beach. It was a 7' female at about 110 fsw at around 7pm.

Now that my Sixgill radar is obviously working I'm sure that we will have success on our Cove 2 Sixgill search :)

I wish I had got in touch with you yesterday, I was looking for someone to go diving with later in the evening and I've been curious about Owen's Beach. All my usual buddies didn't want to suit up in the heat, even at night. They also say Owen's is boring, but I'm hearing different from y'all.
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#102 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:45 AM

I wish I had got in touch with you yesterday, I was looking for someone to go diving with later in the evening and I've been curious about Owen's Beach. All my usual buddies didn't want to suit up in the heat, even at night. They also say Owen's is boring, but I'm hearing different from y'all.

It is boring if you don't see a Sixgill...very boring :cool2: The heat is killing me too. Believe or not it was at least 10 degrees cooler (than Seattle) in Tacoma yesterday.

#103 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:21 PM

So, what do you want Michell and me to bring!? Tequila, snacks...etc?

Oh and I might be bringing two other divers with me - Tom & Edward! Can they crash too - or we call can tent it in the front lawn! Wha-hoo!

DG ~ Not sure what to tell you to bring.
I currently have an almost full bottle of Tequila ~ My brother found it and had to have a few shots.
I am sure another bottle will be needed.
I also have a bottle of Rapsberry Smirnoff, some imported Puerto Rican Rum.. very tasty.

Snacks are always good. We will be hungry after our hunt for the mysterious 6-gills.
The grill will be ready if anyone is really hungry and wants to grill up something more than just snacks.

I will bake cookies or something for the SI between dives. ~ Open to suggestions.

Bring Tom & Edward along. I have several tents in the garage we can pitch if wanted.
There is always the hammock hanging under the tree in the back. Always good for sleeping in.
Can always move furniture and double up in the beds.

We will work out the details as we need to. Anyone is welcome to bring whatever they want.

#104 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 23 July 2006 - 04:19 PM

It is boring if you don't see a Sixgill...very boring :cool2: The heat is killing me too. Believe or not it was at least 10 degrees cooler (than Seattle) in Tacoma yesterday.

I think this is what I was referring to. Perhaps Scott/boydski can lead a dive there sometime in the near future:

Gray,

Owens Beach is actually one of my favorite dives. There is lots to see there, and its my favorite site to shoot Macro. Unfortunately, none of the good stuff is directly off the beach where they hold the Treasure Hunt. Its all further West, past the picnic shelter. I'll be happy to show the site to you sometime. There's a very nice barge sunk at about 90' - 100' that we typically dive, and its loaded with Grunt Sculpins, Sailfins, Gunnels and Red Octopus.

We typically locate the sharks not too far from the barge in about 95-100' of water, and they then usually head for deeper water ( ~ 110 - 120').

Scott (Boydski) Boyd

"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#105 Diver_C

Diver_C

Getting started

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:115

Posted 23 July 2006 - 09:09 PM

Have dove Cove 2 the past two wednesday nights, with two dives per day. No sharks, but very large octos out of their dens. The first one was at the end of her life cycle, and passed away while we were with it. It seemed rather large, but then an even bigger one was around last wednesday, and very much alive. Visibility has been pretty darn good too!

Last Wednesday, though, was a little surreal since a diver had passed away at Cove 2 the night before. Some onlookers who seemed to have been there the night before were a little concerned about us. Apparently the diver was out of gas at 100', and became unconscious while buddy breathing to the surface. A bunch of divers helped with the rescue, along with the Coast Guard, aid units, and cops. Been away at a boat race all weekend, so don't know if there are any more details out there. There definitely was an odd feeling in the air that night.

Hopefully, either and/or both sharks and octos this week.

By the way, I'll bring contreau, and I can sleep on an mattress in my 4/Runner.

Rich
Go Fast, Turn Left. http://www.apbanw.com - http://www.goboatracing.net
Wa. state family law attorneys http://www.danceycassady.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users