• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

08/06 PNW HH & Dive - The search for the elusive six gill SHARKS!

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#61 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 13 July 2006 - 06:56 AM

I'm not sure as I get Alki all confusaled...

These are at the deep part, 90-110' depending...

Log piles??

Pardon the poor quality, but you can see the silhouette

Attached Images

• Alki2KlyLast_b11m.jpg
  • Alki2KlyLast_b14m.jpg

fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#62 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 13 July 2006 - 10:32 AM

This is an interesting challenge. I would consider it a great success if at least someone from our group saw a sixgill. I would suggest 2 dives with us meeting at 6:30pm and getting wet at 7:00pm. for the first dive. We would do the second dive at 9:00pm.

The dive times sound great - I'll chage my first post to start providing solid info.

Nicolle and I can go directly out to 120 fsw.

Again, sounds great. I'll PM/email and we'll chat further about our dive plan. What gear/gases you're planning on...etc.

Once we leave the deeper part of the dive I would consider the sixgill search over (although they can creep up on you shallower-35 fsw for me)

Anyone else find that just a tad creepy!??? :twist:

If someone wants to marinade their drysuit in fish chum overnight that team can get in just ahead of everyone else :cool2:

When i was in NC I learned a little trick - tag a partially open can of cat food onto your buddy's tank....
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#63 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 13 July 2006 - 11:39 AM

I modified the first first post of this thread as we have confirmed our dive site and dive details. Click here.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#64 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 13 July 2006 - 11:48 AM

DG ~ My place is alway open for overnight guests.
I even have a blender and the grill ready to go. :cool2:

I am not that far from Cove #2.
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#65 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 12:43 PM

Would it me inappropriate to say I wuv you? :cool2: And if Tony is back in time, no point in hoofing it back to the Tacoma area - we should have a slumber party!

Recent Cove 2 temp and viz reports from this past Monday, 7/10: 53 degrees at 60fsw; incredible viz

#66 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 01:28 PM

DG ~ I think we know each other well enough that I wuv you.. is fine between us.
I feel the same. :cool2:
A sleep over is a wonderful idea.

Tony ~ You are welcome to stay at my place if you don't want to head all the way home. Would save you 45 minutes. :twist:
Bring the pups along on your way to Alki and drop them off if you want. They are welcome to stay overnight.
I have a large fenced yard and the house is use to having pups.

Edited by gis_gal, 13 July 2006 - 01:29 PM.

#67 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 02:20 PM

I'm renaming the dive day from "the search for the elusive six gill" to "salt water & dog slobber" Who-hoo!! :cool2:

Can't wait for midnight margaritas!

#68 Diver_C

Diver_C

Getting started

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:115

Posted 13 July 2006 - 06:22 PM

Can't wait for midnight margaritas!

Ooooh, I love margaritas. :flirt: I could drink them in a plane, in a train, with a fox in socks, on a box with lox, and even with a shark and that's no lark, so at midnight, that sounds like a good night.
Go Fast, Turn Left. http://www.apbanw.com - http://www.goboatracing.net
Wa. state family law attorneys http://www.danceycassady.com

#69 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 07:46 PM

I will just need a head count for those midnight margaritias.
Make sure I have enough beds, couchs, floor space for everyone who wants to stay here.

I know I have enough dog bowls, dog toys and dog treats to keep the 4 legged mob happy.

Edited by gis_gal, 13 July 2006 - 07:46 PM.

#70 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 13 July 2006 - 09:09 PM

I'm not sure as I get Alki all confusaled...

These are at the deep part, 90-110' depending...

Log piles??

Pardon the poor quality, but you can see the silhouette

Yes, those be the log piles, on the south side of Cove 2. I-beams are about the same depth on the other side of the cove.

P.S. Have you seen the octo on eggs at the log pile?

Edited by Brinybay, 13 July 2006 - 09:09 PM.

"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#71 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 13 July 2006 - 09:14 PM

PNW SD DIVE - SATURDAY, AUGUST 19TH

Where:
COVE 2
When: 6:30pm (approx. dive times 7pm & 9pm)
Why: to search for the elusive six gill shark!
HH: Possibly after the 2nd dive at the Alki Tavern

Uh, why Alki Tavern? Close and convenient, but it's kind of a, well, "dive". Pegasus Pizza? Elliot Bay Brewery?

Edited by Brinybay, 13 July 2006 - 09:15 PM.

"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#72 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 01:22 AM

Uh, why Alki Tavern? Close and convenient, but it's kind of a, well, "dive". Pegasus Pizza? Elliot Bay Brewery?

It was suggested earlier in the thread and it will be late Saturday night and we'll be coming in from out of the water. I am not from the Seattle area - so wherever the group decides, as long as they accept drown rats attire - I don't really care. To me, it's the people who make the atmosphere! :lmao:

#73 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 06:58 AM

P.S. Have you seen the octo on eggs at the log pile?

Had some friends dive it Wed afternoon.
The Octo is still there sitting on her eggs.
She is looking more gray but is alive and tending her eggs.

I wonder if she will make it to August?

#74 boydski

boydski

Getting started

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cert Level:Trimix/Full Cave
  • Logged Dives:400

Posted 14 July 2006 - 10:45 AM

I know that it's the Tacoma site with the most sightings of sixgills. I also know that is where Scott and Tani shot their video.

Cove 2 has more sightings because more people dive there. All my sightings have been there.

If you don't see a sixgill at Owens Beach it's going to be one boring dive :-D

July through October should be the peak season. I saw 4 in one week last October.

Gray

Wow! Go away for a couple of weeks and quite an impressive thread on one of my favorite subjects! :lmao:

Owens Beach can be hit or miss for Sixgills. We saw sharks there on 4 dives the previous year, but none last year. Cove 2 has a much better chance, and the sharks there are very comfortable around divers. Sounds like you'll have a blast!

Gray,

Owens Beach is actually one of my favorite dives. There is lots to see there, and its my favorite site to shoot Macro. Unfortunately, none of the good stuff is directly off the beach where they hold the Treasure Hunt. Its all further West, past the picnic shelter. I'll be happy to show the site to you sometime. There's a very nice barge sunk at about 90' - 100' that we typically dive, and its loaded with Grunt Sculpins, Sailfins, Gunnels and Red Octopus.

We typically locate the sharks not too far from the barge in about 95-100' of water, and they then usually head for deeper water ( ~ 110 - 120'). I do have a couple of extra copies of the video we shot there if someone is interested in seeing it.

There are a few clips from the video on my web site at http://www.boydski.c...ideo/6gill1.wmv and http://www.boydski.c...deo/6gill2.wmv .

Very cool Critters!

Scott (Boydski) Boyd

#75 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 11:01 AM

Sounds like you'll have a blast!

First, as it's your first post on SD - WELCOME TO SD SCOTT!!! :lmao: Next, why not join us for the dives!?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users