• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

08/06 PNW HH & Dive - The search for the elusive six gill SHARKS!

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#46 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 29 June 2006 - 01:23 PM

ok, another idea - liberate Fabian's shark sub - click here to link to photos...make an underwater crossing...
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#47 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 29 June 2006 - 03:20 PM

DG ~ You are full of ideas... :P
Might be a tight fit... but will leave it on the table.
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#48 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 29 June 2006 - 03:26 PM

DG ~ You are full of ideas... :P
Might be a tight fit... but will leave it on the table.

Exactly! See the need for the abnormally LARGE drysuit now?? :idea:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#49 HCoded

HCoded

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced w/ Enriched Air
  • Logged Dives:65

Posted 12 July 2006 - 04:32 PM

:unsure: Rob! Of course six gills have nothing on great whites you will be seeing soon!

I dont get to go White Shark "diving" I am so bummed. Have to go to Washington DC instead. But the good news is they will hold my deposit for end of september. 5 days in shark cages dangled precariously below a dive boat in the maw of great whites Bwa hahaha

Edited by HCoded, 12 July 2006 - 04:34 PM.

#50 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 05:14 PM

Have to go to Washington DC instead.

Hey! Hook up with the DC crowd when you are there - they are an incredible group! PM WreckGoddess.

#51 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 05:19 PM

OK Folks, we are closing in on a month in advance here - I think we need to go with the third weekend in August due to the tides and current for the weekend.

We still need to finalize a dive site where we have a shot at 6gill sightings. As we may be doing a night dive, deeper dives, and since I am a safety nut, please be reminded of your personal dive experience level and comfort before committing. As you are all certified divers, you are ultimately responsible for yourselves. This is not a guided dive weekend.

It would be fun if we could find a site near a camp ground area - what better place to have an HH?? Have tent will travel! :unsure:

Post or PM if you are in.

#52 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 12 July 2006 - 05:40 PM

Your best shot statistically in seeing a sixgill would be Cove 2. I can't think of a place right off the top of my head with a campground and a history of sixgill sightings.

I would agree with DiveGirl that diving at night to 120 fsw should be something that you already have experience doing. I will be a good buddy to whatever experienced buddy I'm diving with but I'm not into being responsible for guiding a herd around either. Each buddy teem needs to be experienced and independent.

It's much more likely that individual teams will see sixgills rather than one large group.

Edited by gcbryan, 13 July 2006 - 04:00 AM.

#53 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 05:46 PM

Your best shot statistically in seeing a sixgill would be Cove 2.

Sounds great!

I can't think of a place right off the top of my head with a campground and a history of sixgill sightings.

Yeah, I didn't think so and Cove 2 is really right in the mix of the city - ah well. Anyone live nearby want to host an after dive drink? I am just thinking that may be easiest instead of trying to find a place in the city, on a weeend night, after a night dive. We could always bypass an HH and meet up for breakfast Sunday morning too. Just some social thoughts!

I would agree with DiveGirl that diving at night to 120 fsw should be something that you already have experience doing. I'm will be a good buddy to whatever experienced buddy I'm diving with but I'm not into being responsible for guiding a herd around either. Each buddy teem needs to be experienced and independent.

For this type of diving, we are certainly on the same page.

It's much more likely that individual teams will see sixgills rather than one large group.

OK, so which of you have seen one at Cove 2?? I'm buddying with you! I am a good buddy, really I am! :unsure:

#54 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 12 July 2006 - 07:45 PM

While I haven't seen one at Cove 2, I'm told that they come up apx 100' by the log pile (or whatever it's called I-Beams ??) around "Dusk" and that can be late at night, sunset at 10pm?. That's what I've heard anyway.. ps they are also now serving beer at the little seafood place on the pier... heheheh... so that's a plus...
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#55 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 09:57 PM

OK, so which of you have seen one at Cove 2?? I'm buddying with you! I am a good buddy, really I am! :cheerleader:

I've seen 24 in the last 3 years all at Cove 2. I'll gladly be your buddy if you would like.

By the way, there's also the biker/diver bar within walking distance just down the road called the Alki Tavern.

Edited by gcbryan, 12 July 2006 - 10:04 PM.

#56 Diver_C

Diver_C

Getting started

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:115

Posted 13 July 2006 - 12:42 AM

I'm in!

Was at I-Beams tonight, 100 fsw. No sharks. Great visibility! Saw a dying, soon to be dead octopus, out of its hole, all by itself. That was sad, but quite a site! Best visibility I've been in in quite awhile.

That pizza place further down on Alki, Pegasus, makes great pizza, and naturally, serves good beer.

See ya then...

Rich
Go Fast, Turn Left. http://www.apbanw.com - http://www.goboatracing.net
Wa. state family law attorneys http://www.danceycassady.com

#57 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 02:08 AM

OK, so which of you have seen one at Cove 2?? I'm buddying with you! I am a good buddy, really I am! :cheerleader:

I've seen 24 in the last 3 years all at Cove 2. I'll gladly be your buddy if you would like.

By the way, there's also the biker/diver bar within walking distance just down the road called the Alki Tavern.

Sounds like a plan!!

#58 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 04:30 AM

This is an interesting challenge. I would consider it a great success if at least someone from our group saw a sixgill. I would suggest 2 dives with us meeting at 6:30pm and getting wet at 7:00pm. for the first dive. We would do the second dive at 9:00pm.

Nicolle and I can go directly out to 120 fsw. Another team could go to 110 fsw somewhere between Olive's Den and the I-beams (for those who know the terrain) and for those who want to stay a little shallower you could go to the I-beams and even a little further over in the direction of Cove 1.

This covers a wider area and those shallower can stay a little longer thus covering a greater time span as well.With two dives we are also covering a very dynamic part of the evening (pre-dusk extending to nighttime). I have seen sixgills during both of these time periods.

Once we leave the deeper part of the dive I would consider the sixgill search over (although they can creep up on you shallower-35 fsw for me) and start looking for interesting creatures shallower to make the dive worthwhile if no sixgills are spotted.

If someone wants to marinade their drysuit in fish chum overnight that team can get in just ahead of everyone else :cheerleader:

#59 TonyL

TonyL

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100

Posted 13 July 2006 - 05:01 AM

I'm still not sure on my dates but am planning on it if I'm back.

Cove 2 sounds good. I was on a dive at the monolith where all the instructors saw one (I was a student and didn't).

As far as lodging, if I am back, I will have room at my house but I don't know what condition it is in.

Tony

#60 Brinybay

Brinybay

I spend too much time on line

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 13 July 2006 - 06:04 AM

While I haven't seen one at Cove 2, I'm told that they come up apx 100' by the log pile (or whatever it's called I-Beams ??) around "Dusk" and that can be late at night, sunset at 10pm?. That's what I've heard anyway.. ps they are also now serving beer at the little seafood place on the pier... heheheh... so that's a plus...

Log piles and I-beams are two different spots in Cove 2.
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users