• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

1 spot left!! (10 women 7 men) Dec 4-11 2007 Australia!!

• Please log in to reply
914 replies to this topic

#856 shawnabbott

shawnabbott

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:51 PM

Electricity onboard is 240V and electrical sockets are the Aussie 3 prong variety. We have a few adaptors onboard but if most of your group plan to plug in laptops/re-charge batteries etc it would be best if they brought their own adaptors and powerstrips if needing to charge many items.

I'm wondering now where Shawn got her information that the outlets onboard were the round European style?

Also, if you have a Capital One card, they don't charge you the international fee. I used mine in Thailand and wasn't charged.

I never said they were round european style. I quoted email from Explore Ventures.

#857 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,628 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:53 PM

Shawn please do not reply inside of a quote...it is very hard to see what you wrote. The feedback from the boat is they ONLY HAVE FULL FOOT FINS. So you can NOT rent booties...and if you do not want to use the full fin barefoot you can buy a sock designed for it from them or you can bring your own.

They just want you to know.

And no you do not need to resend anything. But if you were trying to rent booties they are saying they have none.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#858 shawnabbott

shawnabbott

• PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:00 PM

I got some info. from explorer ventures to share :cool1: :

"You will need an adapter & transformer from 220 to 110 to use US chargers and hair dryers. The plugs in the rooms have the two round small prongs, side by side "

So, an ext. cord sounds like a good idea. There are no dryers in the rooms apparently, and water temps. in the low 80's.

REI carries adapters/transformers...

As you can see, this is a quote from Explorer Ventures, not my own. Doesn't say "european" but does say two round prongs... i have adapters for both types that say Australia.

#859 shawnabbott

shawnabbott

• PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:02 PM

Shawn please do not reply inside of a quote...it is very hard to see what you wrote. The feedback from the boat is they ONLY HAVE FULL FOOT FINS. So you can NOT rent booties...and if you do not want to use the full fin barefoot you can buy a sock designed for it from them or you can bring your own.

And no you do not need to resend anything. But if you were trying to rent booties they are saying they have none.

I did not write in about fins? rental or otherwise...it's lights they should have without resending request.

#860 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,628 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:26 PM

I did not write in about fins? rental or otherwise...it's lights they should have without resending request.

That's fine. Your reply about needing to resend forms was under the section on fins and not the lights. That is why I was confused.

As for the update on dive lights...EV is telling us they have enough for everyone and you do not need to send in the request form for lights...you do need to send it in for anything else.

Dive Lights/Torches and Rental Gear:

We do have enough dive torches/lights for all passengers. If you needed rental gear you MUST REQUEST IT ON YOUR EV APPLICATION except for the dive lights.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#861 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,628 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 06:48 AM

Group Transfer Details:

Your arrival is very close to the group therefore you are part of the main group transfers. Here are the instructions:

Upon arrival after clearing Customs & Immigration you will be met and transferred to your accommodation for the next 2 nights. See the pick up times below for time and place of pickup.

Private Airport/Hotel Transfer - International Arrivals area pickup
SunPalm Transport
Tel: (07) 4084 2626
Confirmation #: 263053
Ref #: AA3320
Voucher#: AA3620/01
NOTE: The driver will have a SunPalm sign. If you cannot locate your driver, please visit the SunPalm Desk located within the airport terminal.

1st PickUp: QF782 @ 12:05pm - Baggage Claim Area
2nd PickUp: QF69 @ 11:40am - International Arrivals Area

IF you are not on one of these flights and you think you are part of the group transfers or booked your air via our consolidator or need a transfer still...let me know. I will see what we can do. The worst case scenario is that you take a taxi to the Mantra Trilogy.

formerly...

#862 Fordan

Fordan

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:70

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:18 AM

I have a question....
Driving:

Australians drive on the left side of the road. A valid overseas drivers license is required. Speeds and distances are in kilometers. The max speed in most cities is 60km/hr or 37 mph and on country roads and highways the speed is 110km or 68mph unless otherwise stated. There are STRICT drunk driving laws and seatbelts are to be worn at all times by driver and passengers.

What is involved with getting an "overseas" license? Will they not take my Alaska DL?

From Australia's perspective, your Alaskan DL is "overseas." :) For limited stays, your Alaskan DL is all you need.

Oh, and watch out for the speed cameras, and enjoy the roundabouts.

Wikitravel - Driving in Austalia

#863 secretsea18

secretsea18

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 28 November 2007 - 09:24 AM

I have a question....
Driving:

Australians drive on the left side of the road. A valid overseas drivers license is required. Speeds and distances are in kilometers. The max speed in most cities is 60km/hr or 37 mph and on country roads and highways the speed is 110km or 68mph unless otherwise stated. There are STRICT drunk driving laws and seatbelts are to be worn at all times by driver and passengers.

What is involved with getting an "overseas" license? Will they not take my Alaska DL?

If you decide to drive in Australia... please be very careful. It is very easy to accidentally drive on the wrong side of the road there, when there are no other cars on the road, as the point of reference is missing, ie, other cars to remind you on which side to drive on.

#864 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 28 November 2007 - 09:28 AM

As you can see, this is a quote from Explorer Ventures, not my own. Doesn't say "european" but does say two round prongs... i have adapters for both types that say Australia.

The two round prongs are what they use in Europe.
Adapters

#865 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 28 November 2007 - 09:50 AM

Payment Update:

1. Dave aka BigO - Received payment of $ 103.00! :)

#866 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 28 November 2007 - 09:59 AM

I have a question....
Driving:

Info About Driving in Oz

Getting an International Drivers License will certainly not hurt... Talk to your local chapter of the AAA if you are a member.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#867 shawnabbott

shawnabbott

• PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:16 AM

Adapters

Once again I quoted what was sent to me by Randy:

You will need an adapter & transformer from 220 to 110 to use US chargers and hair dryers. The plugs in the rooms have the two round small prongs, side by side

There are no dryers in the rooms

Low 80s

Randy Harris
Live-Aboard Diving Caribbean/Australia
Explorer Ventures
(800)322-3577 ex 1
randy@explorerventures.com

If this is an error it was not mine.

#868 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:30 AM

Adapters

Once again I quoted what was sent to me by Randy:

You will need an adapter & transformer from 220 to 110 to use US chargers and hair dryers. The plugs in the rooms have the two round small prongs, side by side

There are no dryers in the rooms

Low 80s

Randy Harris
Live-Aboard Diving Caribbean/Australia
Explorer Ventures
(800)322-3577 ex 1
randy@explorerventures.com

If this is an error it was not mine.

No one is saying it's an error. It's just curious that the plugs would be different in the cabins than elsewhere on the boat, where Kamala said they were the 3 prong Aussie style. I am bringing both kinds of adapters with me.

#869 Fordan

Fordan

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:70

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:49 AM

Getting an International Drivers License will certainly not hurt... Talk to your local chapter of the AAA if you are a member.

An International Driving Permit is probably overkill for English-speaking countries like Australia, as the main purpose of it is to provide the details of your license in the major world languages.

The states I just looked at (Queensland, New South Wales (Sydney)) only require a IDP or any other translation into English for licenses issued in other languages. I've traveled and rented cars in New South Wales, Queensland, Victoria, Tasmania, Northern Territory, & the Australian Capitol Territory (geez, only need South Australian and Western Australia to complete the whole set). Never been asked about an IDP when renting, only needed to present my US license.

edit: it is a poor use of English to misspell it Engligh.

Edited by Fordan, 28 November 2007 - 10:53 AM.

#870 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:05 AM

An International Driving Permit is probably overkill for English-speaking countries like Australia, as the main purpose of it is to provide the details of your license in the major world languages.

The states I just looked at (Queensland, New South Wales (Sydney)) only require a IDP or any other translation into English for licenses issued in other languages. I've traveled and rented cars in New South Wales, Queensland, Victoria, Tasmania, Northern Territory, & the Australian Capitol Territory (geez, only need South Australian and Western Australia to complete the whole set). Never been asked about an IDP when renting, only needed to present my US license.

edit: it is a poor use of English to misspell it Engligh.

Are you really Bill Bryson in disguise? I just finished A Sunburned Country. He went all over the place too, though he did hit the South and the West.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users