• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

NC in July '06 is hot!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
51 replies to this topic

#31 ASDmike

ASDmike

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EAN
  • Logged Dives:700ish

Posted 08 July 2006 - 07:47 PM

... I learned something from each and every one of them,including the students...

ahhhh... :D

Well by me could that be: at depth one can resist the urge to pull one's primary out of their mouth and feed it to a shark, but there is no way one can keep a poker face knowing that if one loses that struggle, the deep dive instructor will fail said person on the spot... :D

Bill, thanks for helping me with my flapping BC earlier on that same dive. I didn't know why I was bungeeing at that hatch, but backed away since my light was still drying out topside anyway.
'06 - Fireworks on History, Singles Fantasy
'07 - Ancient Egypt/Red Sea Liveaboard
'08 - Bonaire Singles Week ...In STYLE!!!

#32 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 09 July 2006 - 10:59 AM

:cool1: Howard…sorry to hear about your trip. Last year the regular Captain Cox was out due to an accident. The Captain we had was great....I do not remember a single issue. Since I am an Air Hog even with a 120 :welcome: …I had bottom times up to 1-hour…..usually around 35 to 45 minutes. The only issue I had was that two hour trek out and back in rough choppy waters….I thought the diving was great especially on the Caribe Sea….loved those Sharks!

Scott,
I agree with you also. Rough as hell ride out but great diving last year. Different captain last year as the boat owner was out with a busted shoulder.. a motorcycle accident I believe. Why he got on his boat and had a stick up his buttt, well, that is beyond me. Rules should be laid out before you get on the boat. Guess he woke up on the wrong side of the nail bed or something.
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

#33 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 09 July 2006 - 01:20 PM

:cool1: Howard…sorry to hear about your trip. Last year the regular Captain Cox was out due to an accident. The Captain we had was great....I do not remember a single issue. Since I am an Air Hog even with a 120 :welcome: …I had bottom times up to 1-hour…..usually around 35 to 45 minutes. The only issue I had was that two hour trek out and back in rough choppy waters….I thought the diving was great especially on the Caribe Sea….loved those Sharks!

Scott,
I agree with you also. Rough as hell ride out but great diving last year. Different captain last year as the boat owner was out with a busted shoulder.. a motorcycle accident I believe. Why he got on his boat and had a stick up his buttt, well, that is beyond me. Rules should be laid out before you get on the boat. Guess he woke up on the wrong side of the nail bed or something.

Discussions are being had among the people who went on this trip to help prevent the negatives from recurring.

Bottom line is that my report was honest in that I had a good time on the trip overall. It was marred by some issues with the running of the boat which I won't complain about to people who weren't there and didn't see the whole picture. I will also take care to mention some of these to friends who may be interested in diving that area to prevent them from going down there with the same expectations that I had.

However, all that really happened in the end was that I met some great people and was forced to make the best of a some bad situations. But that is life. The other SD'ers going made it far easier to take :banghead: . For instance, I never knew that triggerfish was a spearfisherman's delicacy. My tech gear has never been in salt water until now, so that was a new experience as well.

I may even find myself going again in a few years when I can gather the time and vacation.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#34 Ariesno1

Ariesno1

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600

Posted 09 July 2006 - 04:49 PM

I am glad everybody made it home safe, especially Brian aka DiverBrian, since he had a very long drive home. Brian. thanks again for giving me a ride.

Even with the boat captain being moody I had a great time on the boat and diving. None of the dives were blown out like last year in October. I enjoyed all 8 dives. The visibility was fantastic and I was able to swim with the sharks again on one day. Also it was fun hanging out with old and new friends. Nicolle you rock. :unsure:

The first three days Joe aka Vulture was my dive buddy. After Joe left I dove with Vanessa aka WreckGoddess. Both of them are great divers and buddies. But I know that already since they are my DC dive buddies. :o

Here is a roommate pic.

The rest I will post in the gallery later.

Yes, guys, my camera is still working after it was flooded. And the rash I got from sea lice or whatever it was is gone.

Doris

Attached Images

• Roommates.jpg

#35 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 09 July 2006 - 06:23 PM

Doris

that is good to hear that the camera wasnt damaged after all and is working so another camera saved by the hair dryer method.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#36 Photographic Mercenary

Photographic Mercenary

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Cert Level:USCG Captain AOW, Been diving actively since 1978 in the mid atlantic and all over the world
  • Logged Dives:well over 500, the dives get numbers and ratings now

Posted 10 July 2006 - 10:26 AM

I received today as part of the regular up dates I get from the Diver Down.
They are the protocols for the boat.

I was not sure where else to post this.
Especially for those making or thinking about making the August and Oct. trips.
This is directly from Capt. Roy's "Diver Down Update" Dated: 9 July 2006.

"This last weekend was not without a few bumps in the road and not all were caused by the sea but hopefully the majority of us had a good time despite those bumps. I would like to mention a few things about diving aboard the Diver Down before we get to the diving so please bear with me. Diver Down caters primarily to Recreational Divers and the bulk of this operation is geared to supporting that endeavor. We do run the occasional TEC trip but those charters are priced differently and limited to smaller numbers to accommodate the additional gear and profiles that come with TEC dives. We try not to mix the two groups but when TEC Divers join a Recreational Charter we usually give them two options, dive two recreational dives (No deco limits plus 5 minutes) or one TEC dive (one hour total run including deco). All divers are limited to two primary tanks and a small pony bottle (40 CF or less). Each diver is allotted two tank spots on the back deck and an area below the benches for dive bags and pony bottles. There is sufficient space for all 18 divers and two crew on the back deck provided you don’t bring too much stuff. If you dive doubles then we ask that you use one set to do both dives or one long dive, just inform the crew of your wishes. No double doubles or stage bottles unless you have chartered a TEC Charter. There is also sufficient seating inside the cabin for 18 divers, 3 to a bench, provided no one is lying down or has piled gear on the seats. There is additional seating on the sun deck though it is subject to spray on occasion. The pilot house has seating for 3 crewmembers or invited guest. If your gear will not fit in the area provided it might mean that you brought too much stuff. Most of our divers bring two single tanks, a light weight wetsuit, small cameras and recreational gear, i.e. BCD, regulator mask and fins. We do allow scooters and more extravagant camera equipment but don’t usually make special accommodations for them. We have a single 5 gallon bucket to rinse cameras and a spray hose to rinse mask and divers when they come back after a dive. Fresh water is limited so we ask that you not clean gear aboard the boat, hoses and rinse tanks are available at the dock. Spear fishing is allowed but we ask that power heads not be brought aboard and that you respect the other divers by not cocking guns outside the water, not handing a cocked spear gun to the Divemaster especially not spear first and by waiting until after someone shooting pictures is done with a fish before you kill it. We also ask that you not bring back fish that are considered illegal by the NC Wildlife Officers since they have no sense of humor when it comes to these things. If you follow these simple guide lines then you run a very small chance of invoking the ire of the captain or crew and will more than likely contribute to everyone having a fun and safe diving experience. If you have any specific questions or comments then please contact me or Captain Bob before any miss understandings develop."

Norman J. McCullough

Photographic Mercenary,

Crisis Management,

Defender of Dumb Animals, & Damsels in Distress,

Licensed  Fool.

#37 OTWdiver

OTWdiver

Meeting folks

• Removed Per User Request
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Cert Level:TECH DEEP Instructor, Prefer my single tank.
  • Logged Dives:Active every week since 1983

Posted 10 July 2006 - 03:07 PM

Thanks for the help Scubatooth, ASDmike. I put there names into the form and all is well. I thought I needed all blanks complete to submit but it worked fine leaving some blank.
"Those who have never seen themselves surrounded on all sides by the sea can never possess an idea of the world, and of their relation to it" Goethe

#38 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 11 July 2006 - 05:31 PM

... I learned something from each and every one of them,including the students...

ahhhh... :lmao:

Well by me could that be: at depth one can resist the urge to pull one's primary out of their mouth and feed it to a shark, but there is no way one can keep a poker face knowing that if one loses that struggle, the deep dive instructor will fail said person on the spot... :lmao:

Bill, thanks for helping me with my flapping BC earlier on that same dive. I didn't know why I was bungeeing at that hatch, but backed away since my light was still drying out topside anyway.

Well I guess that means he thinks he learned something from me too...hopefully whatever it is he'll keep it secret! :diver:

As for feeding the sharks your air...wise choice to NOT appear narc'd while doing your deep class! Although it certainly would have been funny! :D

We sure have some awesome video footage of you just crusing with the sharks...you look cool, calm, collected and yes...very trim and debonaire in the water!!! Good stuff for sure! :diver:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#39 WreckGoddess

WreckGoddess

• PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Board Status:Studying for Exams (May 1-15th)
  • Cert Level:Master Diver / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 12 July 2006 - 10:06 AM

Hey people -- I know I am coming in late! But, then again.. what's new. :D

I wasn't there for the first couple of days (family duty) but for the time I was there I had a great time and great dives. I know some of the techies and some different expectations of the diving - but the diving far exceeded what I expected (considering I go out of NC all the time) The dive operation was not at its best (dove with these guys all the time and never seen it like this)

But, I was very happy to be with my friends, people that I have been wanting to meet for a long time, and working on my sunburn. :welcome:

Anyway! I'll see some of you on the next trip! :D
"If you gave me several million years, there would be nothing that did not grow in beauty if it were surrounded by water."
~JAN ERIK VOLD, What All The World Knows, 1970~

Check out the next NOVA/DC/MD Happy Hour/Or Local Event

#40 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 12 July 2006 - 10:45 AM

But, I was very happy to be with my friends, people that I have been wanting to meet for a long time, and working on my sunburn. :D

And it only took 15 minutes.... :welcome:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#41 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 12 July 2006 - 11:13 AM

Hey Vanessa...it was GREAT to see you as usual....the 4th of July would not be the same without you! :D

DAN 48 Hr report update:

It seems that not everyone has sent in their 48 hr reports. You can still do so even though it is quite a bit later than 48hrs. They can be mailed, faxed or done online. PLEASE send them as all the research is void if they don't have that report.

And thank you all for your participation.

Pictures:

If you took pictures of the trip please post them here as only Ariesno1 has posted any pictures! If you have some REALLY great ones then post them in the thread and if you took shots for the DAN PDE project please send them to ScubaTooth at Info @ WhiteEaglePhoto.com (take the spaces out next to the @ symbol - it is posted like this is to stop spammers from harvesting it) He is consolidating and touching them up for DAN. DAN will use them for publicity purposes as well as for use in their Divers Alert Magazine.

Cochran Computers:

We wish to thank John of Deep Business the Regional Cochran Rep for joining us on this trip and for all of his support whether it be the awesome Shrimp and Clam boil or the tireless efforts to equip divers with computers for the DAN research or catching dinner for an impromtu dockside cookout or just being a great new member of our group!

We have been asked by a number of divers if they could get pricing for the Cochrans and if SD will have any special incentives for using them. We are working on having Bill aka OTWDiver be the SD Cochran connection and he has been authorized by Cochran as a dealer. Bill will be able to order any model of cochran that you might like and we'll get you pricing on the site as Cochran will be doing a special forum on SD to help us learn more about their product and how that product supports DAN's research efforts. It is really cool so stay tuned for more very soon!

And :welcome: again Cochran Computers for incredible support! kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#42 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 12 July 2006 - 11:27 AM

WW

To all

for those sending me pictures , please send me the orginal file (Jpg, Tiff, RAW,etc file format doesn't matter), and also break them emails into 5 image chunks as it makes it easier for my server to accept.

If you shot film please send me a PM and I will arrange for getting them as I would prefer to scan them on my dedicated scanner to do the edits.

Dan

[one modification to that email address its Info @ WhiteEaglePhoto.com (take the spaces out next to the @ symbol - this is to stop spammers from harvesting it), the Dan address is my personal and would prefer the emails go into that one for tracking purposes. <-- the email was edited above per your request. -dg :D]

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#43 nurseshark

nurseshark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW,Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 12 July 2006 - 08:57 PM

Hey Vanessa...it was GREAT to see you as usual....the 4th of July would not be the same without you! :lmao:

DAN 48 Hr report update:

It seems that not everyone has sent in their 48 hr reports. You can still do so even though it is quite a bit later than 48hrs. They can be mailed, faxed or done online. PLEASE send them as all the research is void if they don't have that report.

And thank you all for your participation.

Pictures:

If you took pictures of the trip please post them here as only Ariesno1 has posted any pictures! If you have some REALLY great ones then post them in the thread and if you took shots for the DAN PDE project please send them to ScubaTooth at Info @ WhiteEaglePhoto.com (take the spaces out next to the @ symbol - it is posted like this is to stop spammers from harvesting it) He is consolidating and touching them up for DAN. DAN will use them for publicity purposes as well as for use in their Divers Alert Magazine.

Cochran Computers:

We wish to thank John of Deep Business the Regional Cochran Rep for joining us on this trip and for all of his support whether it be the awesome Shrimp and Clam boil or the tireless efforts to equip divers with computers for the DAN research or catching dinner for an impromtu dockside cookout or just being a great new member of our group!

We have been asked by a number of divers if they could get pricing for the Cochrans and if SD will have any special incentives for using them. We are working on having Bill aka OTWDiver be the SD Cochran connection and he has been authorized by Cochran as a dealer. Bill will be able to order any model of cochran that you might like and we'll get you pricing on the site as Cochran will be doing a special forum on SD to help us learn more about their product and how that product supports DAN's research efforts. It is really cool so stay tuned for more very soon!

And :lmao: again Cochran Computers for incredible support! kamala

Hey Kamala
I posted a few new pictures in the gallery..makes me want to go back!

I had a good time and was able to achieve what I went to see. I had wanted to see the sand tiger sharks and the lion fish..both of which I was easily able to see and get pictures of on many dives.

I really appreciate all the hard work done by you, this trip was an eye opener as to how hard you work on these trips.. also thanks to Bill ( OTW diver) for his work in getting together all the pony tanks and other things needed for the class we took while on the trip.

Karen

#44 wreckspecialist

wreckspecialist

Getting started

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 11:43 AM

This captain made the customers serve him instead of him worrying about our needs and desires. I will never go on another trip like this again, and I surely would stay away from this captain if you ever go to North Carolina.

Sorry you had a terible experience with Bob Cox & Diver Down. I'm the Capt. & one of the owner's of the other boat which is being re-named as we speak. ( becasue of the same type issues we have made a split from Bob) If you are one of the one's that comes with Kamala's group next time I will gurantee you none of the shananagins that you experienced last time.

#45 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 19 July 2006 - 10:42 PM

This captain made the customers serve him instead of him worrying about our needs and desires. I will never go on another trip like this again, and I surely would stay away from this captain if you ever go to North Carolina.

Sorry you had a terible experience with Bob Cox & Diver Down. I'm the Capt. & one of the owner's of the other boat which is being re-named as we speak. ( becasue of the same type issues we have made a split from Bob) If you are one of the one's that comes with Kamala's group next time I will gurantee you none of the shananagins that you experienced last time.

Captain,

Welcome and please feel free to introduce yourself further to us. I am sure that you have much to share and can be a valuable resource for our members. :cheerleader:
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users