• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Are there dive destinations you WON'T dive???

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#16 triggerfish

triggerfish

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 08 June 2004 - 11:08 AM

but doc...i can just see you in a neoprene burqua!!!!

#17 sea nmf

sea nmf

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Cert Level: Rescue
  • Logged Dives:Over 500 - I stopped counting

Posted 08 June 2004 - 11:39 AM

You know, I heard all about the petty theft issue in Bonaire. We didn't have a problem (rented a house in the 'burbs) but we were as cautious and careful as we could be. Just don't make it easy.

I, too, would stay away from the middle east right now. I wouldn't go to Indonesia right now, either. And these are two places I would like to go.

When we landed in Belize (many years ago) it was a sight to see guards on the tarmac carrying machine guns (well, they looked like machine guns to me). Belize was known to have some civil uprising at the time. Then we went out to peaceful Ambergis Keye and it was fine.

#18 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 08 June 2004 - 11:59 AM

We didn't have a problem (rented a house in the 'burbs) but we were as cautious and careful as we could be.

There's a rumor that you three lovely ladies picked up 2 hitch hiking guys and took them diving.....................
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#19 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 08 June 2004 - 12:43 PM

I agree on a number of places in Indonesia and some of the Middle East.

It seems that people won't dive the Red Sea...although staying in Egypt vs. Saudi Arabia has been safe for many Americans I know who have and continue to travel there every year in July. I think the Red Sea was on the list of places to dive in 2005 or 2006....not sure how people think about it? Comments?

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#20 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 08 June 2004 - 01:21 PM

i'd go.

#21 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 08 June 2004 - 01:24 PM

I'm usually cautious but I'm going to Indonesia this september and I'd do the Red Sea also.

#22 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 01:27 PM

I'm usually cautious but I'm going to Indonesia this september and I'd do the Red Sea also.

Cool...we have votes from several folks for the Red Sea....plus we can invite all the military types in the area to come and join us!!! LOL!!!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#23 sea nmf

sea nmf

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Cert Level: Rescue
  • Logged Dives:Over 500 - I stopped counting

Posted 08 June 2004 - 05:28 PM

Well, it isn't necessarily where I stay (Egypt) but the traveling part; the airport part. I believe that there are very strong "anti-american" people all over the middle east. I believe they are welcome to their opinion, but I don't want to put myself in the way of being part of their activism. Hence, I wouldn't travel there right now.

#24 jacsac

jacsac

Getting started

• Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Cert Level:dive master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 08 June 2004 - 05:48 PM

After seeing a show on TV last week about a resort in Sipidan that was raided by guerrillas and a large group of divers taken hostage for like 6 months, I'd probably think twice about heading that way anytime soon. 6 months without diving would be difficult.

#25 bandit

bandit

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 10 June 2004 - 09:11 AM

I was on the first airplane that left DFW after 9/11. I traveled overseas 2 months after that. The travel part doesn't bother me. Except for Israel and few other ME countries, the world is probably safer today than it was in the 70's. Indonesia wouldn't bother me, nor would Egypt. Currently, I'm more interested in Micronesia, although I just read a report from the Seychelles that sounds interesting.

Please don't get overly concerned about the crime on Bonaire. Yes, it happens, but it happens in Dallas alot more often. With 1500 residents on the island, most folks know what's going on before it happens. Use common sense, don't carry what you don't really need, and keep the rest out of sight. I've been on Bonaire 5 trips in the last two years without incident. I have talked to people that had problems. Only one incident was troubling and it occured well out of the traveled areas and was unique in my experience. Everything else is petty thefts of opportunity.
Beatings for the crew will continue until moral improves...

#26 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 10:46 AM

After seeing a show on TV last week about a resort in Sipidan that was raided by guerrillas and a large group of divers taken hostage for like 6 months, I'd probably think twice about heading that way anytime soon. 6 months without diving would be difficult.

Hey do you know what resort it was? I was looking at the extraordinary diving there for a possible late 2005 or 2006 trip. -ww

formerly...

#27 CelticRaven

CelticRaven

Getting started

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1

Posted 10 June 2004 - 12:16 PM

Well a couple pieces of advise, first if you are leaving the US at all. Check the US State Departments website.

http://www.state.gov/

Get any info and advisories for the country you are going to. They usually have very good and fairly up to date information. They also have info on local info, language, power standards, etc....

Second, Remember if it ever comes to it your equipment, clothes, money, can all be replaced. Your life can't! Don't be a hero.

As for me? Are there places I won't go? Sure, I would avoid anywhere that has had any kind of politial uprising in the last 12 months. I'm not really planning on diving anywhere in arab countries right now either.

There are tons of places an American can go and be safe. As for instances of theft? Show me somewhere in the states I don't need to worry about the same thing. LOL

A friend of mine here at work just got home from Bonaire and loved it! He had no problems. Have a great trip.
CelticRaven
PADI OW/AOW

#28 ddierolf

ddierolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Cert Level:Padi Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 21 June 2004 - 05:41 PM

Hey....a number of people have been worried about the known small theft issues of Bonaire and worry about places overseas that they feel are unsafe to dive. Others have decided since 9-11 to NOT travel overseas at all.

How do you all feel about diving in places reported or known to have safety issues and do you dive them anyway just more cautiously or do you avoid them entirely? If you dive them at all...what do you do differently to increase your safety???

I went to Bali (I would go back in a heartbeat!) & Jakarta Indonesia, Entirely Muslim Country, Where they had the Club Bombing 2 years ago. I felt safer more relaxed there then I did in the City of Reading, PA or alot of other cities and towns around the states. If we stop traveling to these places, the terrorists have won for sure! Believe me, In Bali, I stuck out like a sore thumb! No mistaking me for a local! :wakawaka: I have been to Malaysia and Singapore as well. Like any country, You get a feel for where to go and where not to. Just my $0.02 worth!

Dennis

Edited by ddierolf, 21 June 2004 - 05:45 PM.

Which end is up?

#29 ddierolf

ddierolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Cert Level:Padi Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 21 June 2004 - 05:43 PM

Where in Indonesia are you going????

Edited by ddierolf, 21 June 2004 - 06:00 PM.

Which end is up?

#30 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 21 June 2004 - 06:58 PM

Jacsac and Wreck Wench- wasn't the Sipidan incident several years back (or is this a new one?).

I've been talking with Didi about the Red Sea this year. Of course seeing stories about beheadings doesn't make the Middle East sound like paradise these days (although going there could accelereate my arrival in paradise... wonder if I'd get 70 virgins? how about just one??).

Doc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users