• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Flax Seed

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#16 triggerfish

triggerfish

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 17 August 2004 - 06:43 PM

do you have to grind it?

#17 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,489 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 17 August 2004 - 06:48 PM

do you have to grind it?

Yes in order to release the nutrition and other EFA's. It also needs to be fresh ground as the oils start to break down immediately.

In fact the only issues with flaxseed has been when the product was pre-ground or in oil form...both of which have a high propensity towards rancifying quickly! Once its rancid it will have negative consequences in the body. -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#18 Trymixdiver

Trymixdiver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Commercial, IANTD Tech
  • Logged Dives:300

Posted 17 August 2004 - 08:35 PM

WW

So let me get this straight, Flax seed in the grined state spoils fast hence grind fresh every day. My question is how long is the unground flax seed going to last, does it have an expiration date so to speak?

Thx

Andy

Oddly, I was visiting my dad in June and he was blending his daily drink of odd ingredients, including his flax seed in a coffee grinder. If i recall we laughed at his kooky eating habits. Go figure i have now joined the "kooky" blenders around the globe. The reason for my assimilation is i had no energy and put some 20 extra lbs on eating the garbage i was used to. I feel ten times better now and im looking into how best to eat what my body needs without going to my usual massive amounts of carbs with little exercise routine. many thx to the posters bringin us such valuable info :2cool:
If i could only dive and golf at the same time.

#19 Funewgy

Funewgy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:35

Posted 17 August 2004 - 08:36 PM

WW,

My optometrist recommended flax seed oil because I have extremely dry eyes.

"Flax seed oil (dietary supplement): Flax seed oil, which is rich in omega 3, 6 and 9 fatty acids, has been shown to be extremely effective in treating the dry eye. No one knows how the supplement works to improve the dry eye - but it works quite well - and has very few side effects. "

Any idea if ground flax seed would have the same effect as the flax seed oil with respect to dry eyes? Just curious.
"Mother, mother ocean, I have heard you call" -- J. Buffett

#20 chinacat46

chinacat46

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 17 August 2004 - 08:52 PM

Why would you want to put seeds in your eye? :lol:

#21 canuckdiver

canuckdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Cert Level:Decompression procedures
  • Logged Dives:>120

Posted 18 August 2004 - 04:20 AM

do you have to grind it?

Yes in order to release the nutrition and other EFA's. It also needs to be fresh ground as the oils start to break down immediately.

In fact the only issues with flaxseed has been when the product was pre-ground or in oil form...both of which have a high propensity towards rancifying quickly! Once its rancid it will have negative consequences in the body. -ww

What about breads that contain flaxseed? They seem to be popular these days, I know they will not be as good as buying and grinding your own, but would they be worth switching to anyways?
"what works, works" - shek exley

"the WW Approved 'Unofficial' guardian angel"

#22 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Board Status:Not on vacation (damn!)
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:You mean I have to log them, too?

Posted 08 October 2004 - 11:06 AM

What about breads that contain flaxseed? They seem to be popular these days, I know they will not be as good as buying and grinding your own, but would they be worth switching to anyways?

WW,

What is your opinion of these breads?

I read that (nutritionist) Ann Louise Gottleman says that flax seeds should be lightly toasted first, and then ground up. What is the benefit of this? It seems to me heating them would destroy some of the nutrients and enzymes.

What do you think?

Thanks
Laura
WWZD - What Would ZENA Do ??

#23 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,489 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 07:44 AM

WW

So let me get this straight, Flax seed in the grined state spoils fast hence grind fresh every day. My question is how long is the unground flax seed going to last, does it have an expiration date so to speak?

Thx

Andy

Oddly, I was visiting my dad in June and he was blending his daily drink of odd ingredients, including his flax seed in a coffee grinder. If i recall we laughed at his kooky eating habits. Go figure i have now joined the "kooky" blenders around the globe. The reason for my assimilation is i had no energy and put some 20 extra lbs on eating the garbage i was used to. I feel ten times better now and im looking into how best to eat what my body needs without going to my usual massive amounts of carbs with little exercise routine. many thx to the posters bringin us such valuable info :wavey:

Sorry for the delay in responding to this! Flax in the ground state spoils VERY rapidly so yes you grind fresh as you wish to use it. (Just as you would eat an apple right after cutting it and not hours or days or weeks later. The only difference is that you can see the apple deteriorating but not the flaxseed.)

Flax in the unground or seed state has an almost indefinite shelf life and dates back to the Egyptians. Just do not store in the refrig or else you'll draw moisture and cause the seeds to mildew or even sprout. :welcome:

Yes...the additional of flax can easily help you lose weight, will help you regain energy and feel balanced and less stressed. Not to mention lower blood pressure, lower chrolestral, regulate blood sugars, help diabetes, help protect against cancers, balance hormones, improve skin, hair, nails etc.

P.S. Use ONLY the golden flaxseed and not the dark which is grown for commercial uses. I have a preferred brand that I can easily and inexpensively ship to you or help you find...it has NEVER been touched by human hands and comes directly from our farmers in the US.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#24 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,489 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 07:50 AM

WW,

My optometrist recommended flax seed oil because I have extremely dry eyes.

"Flax seed oil (dietary supplement): Flax seed oil, which is rich in omega 3, 6 and 9 fatty acids, has been shown to be extremely effective in treating the dry eye. No one knows how the supplement works to improve the dry eye - but it works quite well - and has very few side effects. "

Any idea if ground flax seed would have the same effect as the flax seed oil with respect to dry eyes? Just curious.

The seed should be as effective as the oils without the side effects of the oils. The oils are so fragile that they break down almost immdiately upon exposure to light and air. So if you take the cap off the bottle to pour out some of the oil and then quickly recap and refrigerate...you have already exposed the oils and it is only a matter of time. (That is why the oils are sold in small, dark bottles now usually with squeeze like tops to prevent the oil from being exposed to air and light.)

The seed is also a fraction of the cost of the oil PLUS you get the fiber, vitamins, minerals, and all the nutrients that flaxSEED offers in addition to the EFA's and Omega's that the flaxOIL offers. The seed has it all...the oil only has the essential fatty acids and omegas.

Try the seed...(I can send you some to try) and see if there is enough oil to allieviate the dry eyes. If there is you'll reap far more benefits from the seed as you'll get the other nutrients found in the seed as well for a fraction of the price.
-ww

formerly...

#25 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,489 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 07:56 AM

WW,

What is your opinion of these breads?

I read that (nutritionist) Ann Louise Gottleman says that flax seeds should be lightly toasted first, and then ground up. What is the benefit of this? It seems to me heating them would destroy some of the nutrients and enzymes.

What do you think?

Thanks
Laura

Unless you can 'toast' them under 200 degrees then you risk damaging the fragile oils which is bad. So no...I would not spend extra to get flax in my breads...I also would not avoid the bread because it had flaxseeds. However I would ONLY take my flaxseed ground fresh daily in juice or other fluids since you need to fluids to allow the flax to swell up 3-5x its size in your body absorbing toxins and moving them through your system while it cleanses your lower intestines preventing or helping to heal IBS, leaky gut, etc.

There is a wonderful recipie for making your own flaxseed crackers using a food dehydrator or an oven that can be set for under 200 degrees. The temps are high enough to bind the seeds into the cracker form yet low enough to prevent the oils from being damaged. -ww

formerly...

#26 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 10:07 AM

Thanks Kamala!

:welcome:

Laura

#27 sugarbad

sugarbad

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:60

Posted 19 October 2004 - 12:11 PM

Tell me some more about the Flax seed that may not have been covered on the Flax Seed Thread....

1) How much do you measure out to be ground each day?
2) What device do you use to grind it?
3) Is the resulting grind a powder or a moist mash?
4) Could you just ingest the powder or do you have to mix it?
5) What is the cost of the Golden Flax?

#28 Sonny Beaches

Sonny Beaches

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Board Status:I be here
  • Cert Level:aow-nitrox
  • Logged Dives:over 100

Posted 19 October 2004 - 12:32 PM

I'm sure W.W. will jump in here on this, but I just got off the phone with her, and ground and tried it just before getting on here!!

1.Start with 1 tablespoon , work up to two, Measure unground.
2. I bought a coffee Ginder, variable grind choice, at A discount store. $20>00
3.If puff up into a dry power, about 4 tbs. for one unground App.
4.Mix it with juice, 12 oz , or more, I do not think I would try to eat it.
5. I just got a big jug that will last I believe she said 4 mts, or so, Very inexpensive
I just tried my first batch, not bad, mixed it and stirred like crazy and drank in one one glass at once. Not bad at all.

#29 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 01:32 PM

Does it matter what time of day it is taken? Also what about adding it to a whey protein shake?

#30 hnladue

hnladue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Adv Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:enough

Posted 19 October 2004 - 01:43 PM

Just a note: I've been doing the flax seed thing since beginning of september. 2 tbls a day, just like WW taught me. No changes. Nothing at all. My Dr has said he wants me to stick with it, but I really don't see any benefit at all.
Sempar Partus!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users