• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Flax Seed

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#31 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 19 October 2004 - 02:09 PM

Tell me some more about the Flax seed that may not have been covered on the Flax Seed Thread....

1)  How much do you measure out to be ground each day?

You want to use 2 T in the morning and 2 T at night. Start with 1T in the am and 1T in the pm until your are used to it. The am dose will give you energy all day. The pm dose will heal your body and allow you to sleep all night more evenly and more rested.

2)  What device do you use to grind it?

Use a coffee grinder to grind the seeds to either a flake or powder form...just as long as it fully ground as you can't obtain the full nutrition from the whole seeds.

3)  Is the resulting grind a powder or a moist mash?

It is totally up to you how you wish to consume it...I like it flaky others like it in powder form. Just make sure it is fully ground up with no seeds showing. Then add juice to the consistency that you want. Most people will add a lot of juice so you can drink it as it will start to swell up as soon as you add fluids.

4)  Could you just ingest the powder or do you have to mix it?

You really need to consume it with fluids...although some people make a form of oatmeal from it or sprinkle it over cereal...but you'll find that 2T is about 4 T ground so the most efficient way to consume it is via juice. Hint: Change up the juice so your flax tastes different...pineapple or cranberry are REALLY good...papaya or mango or berry juices are delicious as well!

5)  What is the cost of the Golden Flax?

Only use golden flax and try to get it directly from the farmer so as to avoid acceptable rat parts per million if it is stored in grain silos and shipped all over the country. I get my flax directly from the growers in N. Dakota and it has NEVER been touched by human hands, comes sealed in a plastic jar so its easy to store and easy to use. I am a distribution site for several states so drop ship directly to stores as well as individuals. The cost of flax is $16 for a months supply or $45 for a 4 months supply. And the shipping is about $4-6 depending on where it is shipped in the country and which size you buy. (I'll give SD members free shipping if they want to try it.) You can get it from other sources but I've had people like Nextariel tell me that the taste of the flax I use is superior to what she had been using and that she slept better using my flax then what she had been using. So the small premium is more then worth it. Thanks, -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#32 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 02:11 PM

Just a note: I've been doing the flax seed thing since beginning of september. 2 tbls a day, just like WW taught me. No changes. Nothing at all. My Dr has said he wants me to stick with it, but I really don't see any benefit at all.

Hey girl..its time for you to go to 2 T in the morning and 2 T in the evening. You only start at 1T am/pm until your body gets used to all the fiber which is usually a week to 2 weeks. Let me know how it goes after you increase to 2T in the morning and 2 T in the evening. -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#33 hnladue

hnladue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Adv Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:enough

Posted 19 October 2004 - 02:18 PM

I have been doing 2t in the morning and the Dr doesn't want me doing any more then that. Said it would be too much for my body to take. Sorry! But I'm still sticking with it. Doesn't bother me and tastes fine!
Sempar Partus!!

#34 flatwood

flatwood

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Board Status:on
  • Cert Level:open water, Nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:100 plus

Posted 19 October 2004 - 02:21 PM

I think I'm going to try this.
I've got 99 problems and diving ain't one of them.

#35 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 02:33 PM

I have been doing 2t in the morning and the Dr doesn't want me doing any more then that. Said it would be too much for my body to take. Sorry! But I'm still sticking with it. Doesn't bother me and tastes fine!

Ok if he doesn't want you to increase beyond 2T which you've been on it long enough that if you were going to have fiber issues you would have had them by now...then do 1T in the am and 1 T in the pm. Glad you are sticking with it. The other option is to take the flax about 30 minutes prior to a meal...but this is only recommended if you are trying to lose weight. Otherwise you'll wreck havoc with your appetite and not feel like eating meals.

Note: The owner/farmer that I buy the flax from consumes about 1/2 cup or more per day and he has the energy of a 20 year old (he is 75) and is lean as a rail. I personally consume about 6-8T a day myself (and most of you know my energy levels) but I've worked up to that amount. And I also use flax to fight some health issues so I feel good at the increased amounts. Because flaxseed is FOOD...I am not worried about harmful side effects like you might have with vitamins or supplements.

formerly...

#36 hnladue

hnladue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Adv Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:enough

Posted 19 October 2004 - 04:11 PM

Oh it DEFINATELY doesn't keep me fom eating!!! But I have been thinking of taking it in the evening to try to curb the munchies!! It does keep off hunger for about 1/2 hour, but then I'm just hungry again. I take my 2tbls in the morning with mixed berry juice. By the time I get to work, I'm hungry! I might try 1tbls in the evening along with the 2 in the morning.
Sempar Partus!!

#37 nextariel

nextariel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 19 October 2004 - 04:20 PM

The other option is to take the flax about 30 minutes prior to a meal...but this is only recommended if you are trying to lose weight.

So does the 1/2 hour before meals help you lose weight, or just curb your appetite?

So I should be taking the evening 'dose' with the veggie capsules 1/2 hour before I eat?
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#38 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 04:43 PM

Oh it DEFINATELY doesn't keep me fom eating!!! But I have been thinking of taking it in the evening to try to curb the munchies!! It does keep off hunger for about 1/2 hour, but then I'm just hungry again. I take my 2tbls in the morning with mixed berry juice. By the time I get to work, I'm hungry! I might try 1tbls in the evening along with the 2 in the morning.

Great! Let me know how that works. -ww

formerly...

#39 flatwood

flatwood

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Board Status:on
  • Cert Level:open water, Nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:100 plus

Posted 20 October 2004 - 11:28 AM

Hey Kamala, In what increments does your golden flax seed come in and how much is it. It looks like our local health food store is not going to come thru, BB
I've got 99 problems and diving ain't one of them.

#40 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 20 October 2004 - 01:00 PM

Only use golden flax and try to get it directly from the farmer so as to avoid acceptable rat parts per million if it is stored in grain silos and shipped all over the country.

Just in case anyone asks ... my "acceptable rat parts per million" is right around ... oh, I don't know ............ZERO!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#41 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Board Status:Not on vacation (damn!)
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:You mean I have to log them, too?

Posted 20 October 2004 - 02:17 PM

Only use golden flax and try to get it directly from the farmer so as to avoid acceptable rat parts per million if it is stored in grain silos and shipped all over the country.

Just in case anyone asks ... my "acceptable rat parts per million" is right around ... oh, I don't know ............ZERO!

Jex,

I agree with you, however the USDA has set minimun standards defining what amounts of non-food particles (stuff like insect wings, droppings, rat parts, etc) are allowed in the foods we purchase. Wanna hear something scary? The allowable amount is higher for crunch peanut butter than for creamy peanut butter! So if you eat the stuff, watch out, cuz one of your crunchies might not be a peanut...!! :welcome:

Kinda makes you wanna grow your own food, eh?

L
WWZD - What Would ZENA Do ??

#42 canuckdiver

canuckdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Cert Level:Decompression procedures
  • Logged Dives:>120

Posted 20 October 2004 - 02:57 PM

Jex,

I agree with you, however the USDA has set minimun standards defining what amounts of non-food particles (stuff like insect wings, droppings, rat parts, etc) are allowed in the foods we purchase. Wanna hear something scary? The allowable amount is higher for crunch peanut butter than for creamy peanut butter! So if you eat the stuff, watch out, cuz one of your crunchies might not be a peanut...!! :wakawaka:

L

EEEEWWWWWW!!!!
"what works, works" - shek exley

"the WW Approved 'Unofficial' guardian angel"

#43 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 04:04 PM

Hey Kamala, In what increments does your golden flax seed come in and how much is it. It looks like our local health food store is not going to come thru, BB

It is sold in plastic jars...1 qt or 1 gal. The former lasts a month and the latter lasts 4 months. It is easy to use from this container, easy to store and easy to ship. (Store in a cool, dry place NOT in the refrigerator or freeze). It is a little more then what you pay for it at a health food story but it has been cleaned 5 times to remove all the husk and outer covering leaving only clean bright shiny flaxseeds which are the size of sesame seeds. In fact, over 50% of the seed is wasted in the cleaning process. (The waste is actaully sold in bulk to health food stores. Lots of extra fiber from the outer seed husk and covering but not extra nutrition! LOL!!!)

If we were talking about tons of money I'd say buy it locally anywhere you could find it but we aren't talking big money here approximately $10 to $16 per month, so buying from a great source i.e. directly from the US farmers is good. Plus it helps me to help them to make a living too! Thanks, kamala

formerly...

#44 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 20 October 2004 - 04:43 PM

Jex,

I agree with you, however the USDA has set minimun standards defining what amounts of non-food particles (stuff like insect wings, droppings, rat parts, etc) are allowed in the foods we purchase. Wanna hear something scary? The allowable amount is higher for crunch peanut butter than for creamy peanut butter! So if you eat the stuff, watch out, cuz one of your crunchies might not be a peanut...!! :wakawaka:

L

I'll be moving to that one-room shack in Montana shortly.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#45 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 05:09 PM

Yes the joys of our 'processed food' society! Hint: Shop only the perimeter of your grocery store...that is where all the food that spoils is kept...produce, dairy, meat etc. Avoid the inner isles....why? Well if there are enough food preservatives in those products to have a 2-4 year shelf life then why would you eat something that a bug/germ is smart enough to stay away from??? In other words...how can you possibly obtain any nutritional value from food that can't spoil?

And for your next scary thought....have you ever found a french fri in your car that fell out who knows when but you realize when you look at it that it has not rotted or deterioated? Try this...take a french fri and let it sit in the heat, etc for 2 weeks and then check it. It will look just like it did when you put it there...now let it sit for 4 weeks or 6 weeks....guess what? No change. Can you imagine how in the world your body can obtain any nutritional value from a food that will not break down or deterioate?

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users