• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

The Florida Dive of the Month!!!

• Please log in to reply
561 replies to this topic

#511 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,150 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 29 November 2009 - 04:31 PM

GREAT NEWS! The show coordinator and I worked out the kinks and we are doing the show! So I'll get to see everyone afterall! :thankyou:

Drat!!!!

I just read in the West Palm Dive Show Thread that Kamala will likely have to cancel participation this year. Bad enough I miss another chance to meet more SingleDivers.com members after bowing out of the Orlando HH a couple of weeks ago, but I was also hoping our intrepid South Florida SD'ers would happen to cobble together a dive trip with a local DO the same weekend. Heck, I'm even up to dive that bridge you guys like so much! :D Granted it is only ten days out, but like asking a girl to dance, the answer is already no.....
So what do you say, is there anyone down in South Florida already thinking of blowing bubbles the weekend of 05-06 Dec? It may be the last chance some of us have to get together and spalsh around until 2010! ScubaDadMiami? Racer184? a_fl_mermaid? DiverBabs? Just a few names I know, anyone feel free to chime in and :thankyou: in advance for any help...

Well guys, looks like Holly, Mark and I as well as others are re-drafted for WPB DS. :teeth:

Since we'd already penciled in the Bridge on the 4th, looks that remains a good chance to blow some bubbles, so I am still up for that. Any others that are similarly linguini flexible, please chime in! :cool1:

Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to the plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#512 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 29 November 2009 - 04:46 PM

Sorry to mess up the diving plans... :cool1:

I am truly thankful that you all will still help with the show! :thankyou:

What time were you planning to dive on the 4th? If its later in the day then Mark and I may still be able to join you...assuming we leave early enough on the 4th! LOL! :thankyou:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#513 scubagoddess

scubagoddess

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Cert Level:MAster Daiver / Rescue / Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:104+

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:15 PM

Sorry to mess up the diving plans... :cool1:

I am truly thankful that you all will still help with the show! :thankyou:

What time were you planning to dive on the 4th? If its later in the day then Mark and I may still be able to join you...assuming we leave early enough on the 4th! LOL! :thankyou:

High tide on December 4th is at 9:37 AM.
There is not a shred of evidence that life is serious. ~ Ogden Nash

Be yourself, everybody else is already taken. ~ Oscar Wilde

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind! ~ Dr Seuss

#514 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Cert Level:Former Open Water Instructor S.D.I.
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:16 PM

Since I will be working this weekend..........
Anyone want to dive Friday or Monday?

High tide on Monday is 12:12 so the sun will be at its highest (good for photography).

#515 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:21 PM

Ok so I'm guessing you need to dive at high tide...so that leaves Friday afternoon out. :teeth:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#516 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 07:30 PM

High tide on Monday is 12:12 so the sun will be at its highest (good for photography).

Hi Alan,

Will the Monday tide be sufficiently moderated from Full Moon extremes to allow an early morning dive at Heron Bridge? This would allow Kamala and perhaps others a chance to blow a few bubbles before heading back north.

BTW Cindi and I are planning a Friday AM dive at Heron Bridge; the more the merrier! :thankyou: :P :diver: (That's me on the right, I recognize my mask and fins.) :P

Finally broken to the plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#517 a_fl_mermaid

a_fl_mermaid

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Cert Level:OW. AOW, Nitrox, Night diver, underw. hunter, equip spec.
  • Logged Dives:too many to count, but recently only a few in 2007, some in the Florida keys and 4 days in Utila.

Posted 30 November 2009 - 09:40 PM

Hi Alan,

Will the Monday tide be sufficiently moderated from Full Moon extremes to allow an early morning dive at Heron Bridge? This would allow Kamala and perhaps others a chance to blow a few bubbles before heading back north.

BTW Cindi and I are planning a Friday AM dive at Heron Bridge; the more the merrier! :thankyou: :P :diver: (That's me on the right, I recognize my mask and fins.) :P

OOOOOhhhh I'm so jealous! Son't have coverage or a full day of vacation left to dive with you all. At least you'll make Happy hour?

Friday the best night? I was thinking of brewzzki at City Place.....what say you?

#518 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:15 AM

Hi Alan,
BTW Cindi and I are planning a Friday AM dive at Heron Bridge; the more the merrier! :thankyou: :P :diver: (That's me on the right, I recognize my mask and fins.) :birthday:

OOOOOhhhh I'm so jealous! Don't have coverage or a full day of vacation left to dive with you all. At least you'll make Happy hour?
Friday the best night? I was thinking of brewzki at City Place.....what say you?

Holly, I wish you could join us too! :P And I am good with a Friday PM HH, can't speak for others but it seems reasonable they can make that too if diving earlier in the day.

#519 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Cert Level:Former Open Water Instructor S.D.I.
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:05 AM

If the out-of-towners would be inconvenienced by a Monday noon-dive, we could consider going out on a boat Monday morning. We would be back in the marina before noon.

Some educational information for those that are unfamiliar with this part of Florida.
Diving at the Blue Heron Bridge should only be done at high tide. Take a look at this map . You see the little island called "Phil Foster Park". Parking, restrooms, boat ramp, lifeguard beach. Scroll the map south and you will see Peanut Island, just east of Peanut Island is the inlet. So when the tide is changing there is a LOT of current at this dive site. High tide brings in clear water for great visibility, and at high tide the current is neglible. There are two 'dive sites' here. The 'east bridge' and the 'west bridge'. The east bridge is small but lots of life. The bridge is flat and close to the water so it is not bright enough for pictures without a flash. The west bridge is the 'new bridge'. It is high enough for boats to go under (not a drawbridge). Enough light for photography without a flash.

This is a navigable waterway - dive flags are REQUIRED and many people get fined.
It has a pretty good variety of life, several kinds of starfish, arrow crabs, worm things, cuttlefish, barracuda, manatee, sharks, crabs, I got a picture of a zebra sole there. Max depth is 14 feet or so. Watch for fisherman's lines. They are quite courteous to divers if the divers are coureous to them. Just be sure to see where they are and where their lines are going and you will be fine and have fun.

#520 DivingDeb

DivingDeb

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox AOW
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 01 December 2009 - 04:33 PM

My diving buddy Suz is giving a presentation at the Dive Show about Blue Heron Bridge:

On Sat at 10am & Sun at 12n Suzan Meldonian will be giving a free slide show presentation about the wonderful fish & other creatures found at Phil Foster Park. This is a must see for those of us who love this extra special beach dive & also for those who wish to dive there someday. Blue Heron Bridge aka BHB is known world wide as a premier muck diving site. Suz will highlight the wonderful animals living in this unique ecosystem and will also debut her new book UNDER THE BRIDGE. This gorgeous picture journey of the many types of fish and other creatures found in the Lake Worth Lagoon was photographed exclusively at BHB by Suz & she has also included photos taken by her friends. If you have ever wondered what you can see at this dive site that is rarely seen elsewhere on our reefs be sure to attend & "prepare to be amazed".

This is a very special place. I fell in love with what I call the treasure hunt esp looking for the tiny nudiranchs found here that I now rarely dive the reefs-only when high tide is a bad time will you find me boat diving.

#521 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:21 PM

My diving buddy Suz is giving a presentation at the Dive Show about Blue Heron Bridge:
On Sat at 10am & Sun at 12n Suzan Meldonian will be giving a free slide show presentation about the wonderful fish & other creatures found at Phil Foster Park. This is a must see for those of us who love this extra special beach dive & also for those who wish to dive there someday. Blue Heron Bridge aka BHB is known world wide as a premier muck diving site. Suz will highlight the wonderful animals living in this unique ecosystem and will also debut her new book UNDER THE BRIDGE. This gorgeous picture journey of the many types of fish and other creatures found in the Lake Worth Lagoon was photographed exclusively at BHB by Suz & she has also included photos taken by her friends. If you have ever wondered what you can see at this dive site that is rarely seen elsewhere on our reefs be sure to attend & "prepare to be amazed".
This is a very special place. I fell in love with what I call the treasure hunt esp looking for the tiny nudiranchs found here that I now rarely dive the reefs-only when high tide is a bad time will you find me boat diving.

Soooo Deb, does this mean you'll be able to join us for the upcoming HB Dive Cluster Friday morning? :teeth: I realize most folks have to work due to the short notice, but thought I'd ask anyway....

I wish the order of events were reversed so I could get a live briefing (and get her book) BEFORE I dive HB, but I'm sure things will work out. :diver: :thankyou: for the tip, and to Alan as well for the earlier briefing post.

#522 DivingDeb

DivingDeb

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox AOW
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:48 PM

Soooo Deb, does this mean you'll be able to join us for the upcoming HB Dive Cluster Friday morning? :teeth: I realize most folks have to work due to the short notice, but thought I'd ask anyway....

I wish the order of events were reversed so I could get a live briefing (and get her book) BEFORE I dive HB, but I'm sure things will work out. :diver: :thankyou: for the tip, and to Alan as well for the earlier briefing post.

Sorry Brad I can't dive on Fri or Sat but am planning to dive BHB on Sunday. We have been seeing a lot of seahorses lately (although I haven't seen one in the last 3 dives) sailfin blennies, mantis shrimp,school of eaglerays, big southern stingrays, searobins, octos,batfish & stargazers -just to name a few. We even had a school of cownose rays swim thru a couple of times (I have the pics to prove it!). It is a unique spot. I got so addicted to the muck diving macro photography that I went to Bali in August just to dive the sand.
Google "scubaboard florida conch divers" & look for the Blue Heron thread there. The one started by Fisheyeview is where we have recently (since?April) been posting reports & photos

#523 a_fl_mermaid

a_fl_mermaid

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Cert Level:OW. AOW, Nitrox, Night diver, underw. hunter, equip spec.
  • Logged Dives:too many to count, but recently only a few in 2007, some in the Florida keys and 4 days in Utila.

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:45 AM

Ok.... I will see if we can get anything special (room, 1/2 price appetizers or anything) at the beer brewing and eaterey joint call Brewzzki. I can't spell the name exactly as I've only been there twice and it was spelled oddly. I'm sure some of the locals know what I'm talking about. It's located at about the middle of the City Place walk way, right next to the escalator to the parking garages on the second level. See everyone there on Friday!

#524 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 02:46 PM

Ok.... I will see if we can get anything special (room, 1/2 price appetizers or anything) at the beer brewing and eaterey joint call Brewzzki. I can't spell the name exactly as I've only been there twice and it was spelled oddly. I'm sure some of the locals know what I'm talking about. It's located at about the middle of the City Place walk way, right next to the escalator to the parking garages on the second level. See everyone there on Friday!

I've opened a fresh topic for this HH, click over to the WPB HH Planning and Attendance thread! :teeth: Oh, and :thankyou: again Holly for all your help! :diver:

#525 Bubbles

Bubbles

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Logged Dives:400-ish

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:26 PM

I really wish I could join you guys this weekend :birthday: But there is a possibility I might head down to South Florida around the end of the month :birthday: It would be great to dive the Blue Heron Bridge on New Year's Day again!
"If life gives you limes, make margaritas." – Jimmy Buffett

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users