• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Dive Computer

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#61 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 17 July 2006 - 07:59 PM

Well Hex,
Good news is what ever you choose there will be people agreeing,the bad news is that there will be those that disagree.
Sit down and list the features you feel you need/want then see what meets your list.
The fact you dive within the limitations of the computer/tables you choose this doesn't mean you will not get bent.I've known people that have been bent using both methods and different computers/tables will give you different profiles...so which one is right?

#62 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 08:02 PM

1. Choosing to use a computer is your choice. I made a different choice. No issue

2. Your opinion. I wanted a computer that could download to my PC. I also wanted one that I could use as a computer if I had to. And I wanted one with guage mode, and a more modern deco model if I HAD to use it to bail with. I also got it at just over wholesale. So in *my* opinion, I got a good deal.

3. I don't want an air integrated. I prefer not to lose all my dive information if one piece of gear fails. You choose differently and that's your prerogative. An integrated computer would not streamline me any more.

4. I am familar with the RGBM model, as well as the comptuers that employ them. I've spent many nights curled up reading about deco models, and talking to my instructor about deco theory. I also spent some time with the author of Nautilus, and the author of DecoPlanner chatting about these implementations. I had hoped to talk to Weinke last year, but other commitments kept me away. I do get to speak to my friend (and fomer classmate) who is a dive medicine researcher at NEDU. In fact, I hope to catch him this weekend or next.

Some people need to stop taking swipes at those who choose to dive DIR, and stop assuming they are mindless idiots.

1. so far, the deco profiles i've done on my DC have kicked the living hell out of anything cut using tables. check any of my dive reports posted on here for proof.

2. poor way to choose to spend money on a DC your not realy going to use as a DC

3. if you used the air intergrated model you'd gain several features already discussed while at the same time eliminating a less accurate guage which is an entanglement hazard. oh yeah, which would also help streamline you even more.

4. plenty of of computers actualy do have RGBM in them. if you realy understood RGBM you might not realy want it. there are models that are air integrated. and there are a few that are programed for deep stops.

some people need to stop drinking the haterade and do objective research

#63 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 17 July 2006 - 08:07 PM

Some people need to stop taking swipes at those who choose to dive DIR, and stop assuming they are mindless idiots.

i can't seem to find any reference to such remarks.

so why would you think them?
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#64 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 17 July 2006 - 08:45 PM

[

If I was to hazzard a guess....but I may have missed something in the translation being Canadian and all

#65 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 17 July 2006 - 08:53 PM

[

If I was to hazzard a guess....but I may have missed something in the translation being Canadian and all

no reference to DIR or their followers at all.

but it is interesting how conspiracy theorists can find "grassy knolls" everywhere and believe they are being persecuted by everyone.
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#66 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 18 July 2006 - 07:30 AM

Please, kids, let's play nice. :banghead:
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#67 Geek

Geek

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Adv. Nitrox/Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:130+

Posted 18 July 2006 - 08:20 AM

Please, kids, let's play nice. :)

I agree. There are plenty of boards that have degenerated around the issues that are starting to come up here. Let's keep this a fun place for recreational divers and those who want to make social contacts with other divers.

New divers are going to ask questions about equipment choices. We should be able to offer differing opinions without degenerating into criticism of each other's advice. As an active participant in this thread, let me start by apologizing to everyone for any post I have made that may have been construed as critical of anyone else's advice.

#68 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2006 - 10:43 AM

I'll do my own research on all the computers I'm looking into, but it's nice to have a personal opinion. Somethings can look really nice on paper, but maybe aren't the most user friendly or have some attribute that I might not be aware of.

Thank you everyone for your comments. I appreciate the help and I'll let you know what I decide after I've concluded my research. And then in a few months I'll let you know if I want to chuck it out the window :wakawaka:

:)

#69 novicediver

novicediver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Logged Dives:19

Posted 18 July 2006 - 12:16 PM

as I preface about every post with, I am a new diver with little or no knowledge of dive gear or diving skill, for that matter.
Accordingly, I have been intently reading the post here concerning computers. I am one of those guys that went out and got all my dive gear when I decided I was going to start diving. As part of that gear, I bought a Scruba Pro Smart Com computer.
Surprisingly, I have not seen anyone comment on this computer. Of course, I was thinking my Smart Com was the best thing on the planet and not seeing any comments on it here are shocking. Hmm, did I get a good computer? Did I get one that is reliable, dependable, and most importantly, able to give me the info I need when down under?
I can say I am pleased with the info it gives me and I trust it - although, as I said, what do I know? The computer gives me water temp, my deepest depth and my current depth. It also offers remaining bottom time calculated at my current depth, breathing rate, remaining air, etc. It is air integrated so it gives me pressure, air used this dive and measures proper ascent rate, if I am breathing too strenuously, no fly time, surface inteval time and provides dive planning information. Lastly, it transfers info to my computer which provides a detailed breakdown including a graph pointing out anyplace where I may have exceeded recommended safety levels - depth, ascent, breathing rates, etc.
Since I am new, I not only rely on the information offered from this computer, but I also use dive tables to gain necessary info for my dive log entries. I do not pay much attention to the dive planning features because I have not done more than 2 dives in a day and always the second dive is shallower than the first and well within the safety levels to avoid excessive deco times.
So, in mentioning all this, why is it that apparently no one else chooses to use Smart Com and what would be a better choice?

#70 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2006 - 12:30 PM

Smart Com is one of the computer's I am researching. It came highly recommended to me by my LDS. They also recommended I look into the Sherwood Wisdom and Aeris before I make a decision. I'll let you know if I go with the ScubaPro. Thanks for the feedback on it!

:)

#71 Geek

Geek

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Adv. Nitrox/Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:130+

Posted 18 July 2006 - 08:11 PM

ScubaPro acquired a line of computers from Uwatec a couple years ago and you will hear people refer to either ScubaPro or Uwatec now. It is a well regarded brand and the Smart Com is probably at the high end of the computers being suggested here, both in features and price. For a novice to intermediate diver, it has all the features you are likely to need in the foreseeable future.

My personal opinion is if you are still buying your initial equipment and you are operating on a limited budget, I would suggest that you go cheaper on the computer and spend the money saved on better regulators, but if you have the funds to do both, then the SmartCom is an excellent choice, competitive with similarly priced models mentioned in this thread.

#72 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 18 July 2006 - 08:41 PM

Think before you buy is great advice, and I strongly suggest renting and using before committing.

A real plus for SD members. If you´re taking one of the trips, SD is working with DAN on some research, and we're using Cochran computers (various versions) to collect the data. Thus, you get an easy way to try one of these in a diving environment.

Contact WW if you´re signed up for a trip and interested in participating.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#73 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 09:00 PM

How have the tests gone with Cochran? Mine has left me grossly underwhelmed.

#74 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:02 AM

I demoed the Cochran on the trip to the FG. It worked great and has a lot of features I'm interested in. It's also in the research pile for me. Anyone have any feedback on those computers. I really thought it was easy to read and once you got the connections easy to use. Also you can upgrade, so if you start out nontech (me) and move into tech; you can change over to a 3 gas computer.

What I really enjoyed about it, is no graphs on the display. I would much rather see numbers than the lines moving up the sides. It's just a personal preference after using my computer for 3 years.

For our DAN study, we just had to fill out some paperwork after each dive stating how we felt, what we did on the dive, etc. Then a 48 hr after the trip report. Quite easy and I got to test out a new computer.

:P

#75 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:20 AM

So you guys didn't download your dives? Or work with the Analyst software?

I own a Cochran product, and know quite a few people that do also. I only know one person that seems happy with the product. The software is very buggy, and customer service is poor at best. If you're interested, I'll forward you some of the emails back and forth I've had this year with Cochran, and you can judge for yourself.

I know I'll never spend a dime on anything else they ever offer. And I went into my purchase knowing their reputation and was really hoping it was wrong.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users