• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Dive Computer

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#46 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 16 July 2006 - 09:56 PM

I'll get back to the topic so that the orginal poster can get some input on his question. :( (Although several excellent threads could come out of a couple of the mini-topics that have come in. There are some great comments in here.)

I did like OTWBill's comment. It is something to think about if you wish to go that way. And to give Brad credit, if I hadn't moved away from Enriched Air Nitrox, I would be still be diving the VyTec. It is a really nice computer as far as general relability and served me well clear through my Adv. Nitrox training. I still use it when I dive enriched air nitrox and leave it in Gauge mode when I dive different mixes that it won't handle. The numbers are nice and legible in Nitrox or Gauge mode :fish: .

I would think that the VyTec is a little much for a newer diver. But, if you don't feel the need to activate the second and third mix, it is really no more complex than the Cobra, the Vyper or any other Suunto.

I will say that the Aeries that I have dealt with worked well for the most part as well.

As I said, my dive buddy seems to like her nitrox computer as well. It is a simple wrist unit.

I doubt that many of us have the initial computers that we bought. Several people here don't dive computers. They dive a really simple bottom timer with schedules generated by deco software. More of us upgraded. My very first computer was the Cobra that I bought in OW. I loved it, but it no longer fit my needs. It hurts me to know that the person who bought it won't be diving it for quite a while either. It deserved better :banghead: .

If you can guess pretty close to what the computer is going to you, than by all means pick one and dive it. If you understand how it works, I encourage you to get one. But, the computer is a tool. If you use your brain as well in working your profiles, you will have the best of both worlds.

As OTWBill said, ask around. See what the other divers experienced in your local diving environment say. Then take that input (much as you would the dive computer's input later) and think about it. Then take your action based upon what you consider in your informed state to work best for you. (Again, much as you would use a dive computer.)
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#47 hnladue

hnladue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Adv Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:enough

Posted 17 July 2006 - 10:00 AM

I bought a Cressi computer from Scubatoys and love it. Remember we get a 10% discount form them!! It was only about $200. Simple nitrox computer, large display. Only thing I haven't figured out is how to get to the time when in diving mode. Also you have to remember to set what air you're diving on before you enter the water. Once in you can't change it. For me this works fine. I'm not planing to goto trimix anytime soon.
Sempar Partus!!

#48 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2006 - 10:33 AM

I have the Cressi Archamides. Yeah if you forget to reset your O2 level when you are diving Nitrox... it can be a pain. Also, never figured out how to see the time. Always wore a watch for that.

I'm actually in the market for a new computer. My LDS recommended the Aeris Atmos 2, Sherwood Wisdom, and ScubaPro Uwatec Aladin and another model.

Anyone have any feedback on those computers? I'm not into Tech diving yet, so really need something that's Nitrox compatible, easy to download, easy to read (I'm blind :diver:), easy to replace the battery, wrist console, adjustable PO2...

I'm also looking into air integrated... I know it's more expensive but then calculates no deco, time left for dive all together...keeps everything in sync. Of course is it really worth all that extra money, probably not. I would of course have a pressure gauge on a hose as well.

And now-a-days computers not only monitor RGBM but also Microbubbles.. any thoughts on this?

:cheerleader:

#49 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 10:47 AM

I'm actually in the market for a new computer.

I'm not into Tech diving yet, so really need something that's Nitrox compatible, easy to download, easy to read (I'm blind :cheerleader:), easy to replace the battery, wrist console, adjustable PO2...

I'm also looking into air integrated... I know it's more expensive but then calculates no deco, time left for dive all together...keeps everything in sync. Of course is it really worth all that extra money, probably not. I would of course have a pressure gauge on a hose as well.

And now-a-days computers not only monitor RGBM but also Microbubbles.. any thoughts on this?

My thoughts:

1. The deco profiles on most computers are poor. I don't use them.

2. Since I don't use deco info on my computer, I just bought something with big numbers, that was downloadable, and had user changeable batteries

3. I use an analog SPG. This makes having air intergrated models useless for me. So I kept another $200 in my pocket.

4. Very few computers actually have RGBM/VPM or micobubble models. I prefer to cut my own tables for this. So a depth guage and timer are all you need, really.

Essentially, if a computer cannot do deep stops correctly, and doesn't work on a bubble model, I am not trusting it's deco profiles. The one's that do this are all over $800. None are air integrated. So that left me with a VR3 or an Explorer. I chose to use V-Planner/M-Plan and use guage mode.

Best of luck with your choice.

Edited by PerroneFord, 17 July 2006 - 10:47 AM.

#50 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 17 July 2006 - 11:02 AM

I dive an Aeris Atmos AI. Bought it last year so I could do Nitrox.
Not a bad little computer. Very similar to the Oceanic Data 100 I had been diving since 98.
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#51 Geek

Geek

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Adv. Nitrox/Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:130+

Posted 17 July 2006 - 11:18 AM

I own a Sherwood Wisdom that I have had for a couple years. The display is great, which is the major selling point. The unit is also pretty easy to figure out so you won't be running back to the manual for the rest of your life. The Wisdom is air integrated, but with a hose, not a transmitter, so everything is on the one display. Options include a quick disconnect, which I recommend, and a compass, which I do not recommend. The compass is no better than any other compass. I prefer the Suunto SK-7 which I wear on my wrist. The Suunto is more accomodating of not being exactly horizontal when you read it.

I think the Wisdom is a bit pricey, but if you want a large easy to read display it is great.

#52 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 12:23 PM

My Aeris Atmos AI is also has a quick disconnect with a compass attatched.
I would go without the compass if I was to purchase it again.
I would prefer a wrist mounted one.
The Atoms AI was not a cheap computer. It was priced at $819.
I did get a better deal than that but it was not cheap.

#53 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 01:26 PM

WHOA! $819? That's VR3 territory, which is one of very few comp's I'd actually use.

#54 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 02:34 PM

Scubatoys currently had the Aeris Atmos AI with compass listed for $639.95.
The PC download cable is an additional $50
At $689.95 it is not the cheapest computer.

I am already thinking I will have to swap this one out.
One of my dive buddies commented on it last week.
We were talking dive goals ~ She quickly commented that I would need to let go of my computer to reach where I want to go...
ARRRRGGGGHHHH ~ does anyone know the resale value?
Does Aeris hold its value in the resale world?

#55 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 17 July 2006 - 04:39 PM

I've had an Aeris Atmos 2 for several years and I absolutely love it. It's easy to use, easy to read, very dependable, has a user-changeable battery, easy download capability, does Nitrox. For a recreational diver, I can't see a better one out there. In short, you can not go wrong!!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#56 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 05:33 PM

This was my #1 choice in a computer until they discontinued it a few weeks before I was ready to pull the trigger. So I bought a Vyper, which I prefer.

#57 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 17 July 2006 - 06:59 PM

:bam:

RGBM and monitoring microbubbles are the same thing

RGBM stands for Reduced Gradiant Bubble Model and accounts for free gas in the circulatory system aka microbubbles.

as for thoughts on it,
well, monitoring it can't realy be a bad thing,
however we've been diving forever without it.

Edited by BradfordNC, 17 July 2006 - 07:09 PM.

OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#58 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 17 July 2006 - 07:03 PM

:bam:

RGBM and monitoring microbubbles are the same thing

RGBM stands for Reduced Gradiant Bubble Model and accounts for free gas in the circulatory system aka microbubbles

. . . while also accounting dissolved phase gas molecules in its model. A monitoring of only free phase bubbles would be VPM.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#59 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 17 July 2006 - 07:07 PM

My thoughts:

1. The deco profiles on most computers are poor. I don't use them.

2. Since I don't use deco info on my computer, I just bought something with big numbers, that was downloadable, and had user changeable batteries

3. I use an analog SPG. This makes having air intergrated models useless for me. So I kept another $200 in my pocket.

4. Very few computers actually have RGBM/VPM or micobubble models. I prefer to cut my own tables for this. So a depth guage and timer are all you need, really.

Essentially, if a computer cannot do deep stops correctly, and doesn't work on a bubble model, I am not trusting it's deco profiles. The one's that do this are all over $800. None are air integrated. So that left me with a VR3 or an Explorer. I chose to use V-Planner/M-Plan and use guage mode.

1. so far, the deco profiles i've done on my DC have kicked the living hell out of anything cut using tables. check any of my dive reports posted on here for proof.

2. poor way to choose to spend money on a DC your not realy going to use as a DC

3. if you used the air intergrated model you'd gain several features already discussed while at the same time eliminating a less accurate guage which is an entanglement hazard. oh yeah, which would also help streamline you even more.

4. plenty of of computers actualy do have RGBM in them. if you realy understood RGBM you might not realy want it. there are models that are air integrated. and there are a few that are programed for deep stops.

some people need to stop drinking the haterade and do objective research
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#60 cdtgray

cdtgray

Getting started

• Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Cert Level:Recreational: NAUI Instructor, Technical: Full Trimix
  • Logged Dives:A few hundred-ish but most are not LOGGED.

Posted 17 July 2006 - 07:17 PM

I personally use a bottom timer and deco software stored on a palm pilot, so I'll throw in my vote for that method rather than a 'normal' computer.

The cost isn't bad either:

Bottom timer or air computer with gauge mode: $200
Cheap Palm Pilot: $100
Waterproof palm pilot case: $100
Deco Software: $75
SPG: $75
Slate: $10

Total: $560

Advantages:
-Still less cost than a lot of the computers on the market
-Gives you the ability to plan for any type of diving
-If a component breaks you can replace that component rather than the whole thing
-Software programs usually include free updates which means you should always have the most up-to-date deco modeling
-Requires you to plan your dive before getting in the water
-User customizable conservativism levels

Disadvantages:
-Does not provide real-time recalculations during the dive
-Will not download directly to your computer, but the profile will already be saved with the deco software
-Requires you to plan your dive before getting in the water (some find this to be a disadvantage)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users