• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Buoyancy Compensators 101

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

Poll: Buoyancy Compensators 101: the 3 Ws (38 member(s) have cast votes)

What Do You Primarily Dive?

1. Vest-style BC that is weight integrated (17 votes [44.74%])

Percentage of vote: 44.74%

2. Vest-style BC with a weight belt if needed (6 votes [15.79%])

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

3. Vest-style BC with no additional weight (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. BP/W with a weight belt if needed (10 votes [26.32%])

Percentage of vote: 26.32%

5. BP/W with no additional weight (2 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

6. Other (3 votes [7.89%])

Percentage of vote: 7.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 12:19 PM

Although it will be quite some time before I purchase my own buoyancy compensator, I'm interested in learning what others (especially women :)) use as their primary BC set-up. Please feel free to add comments in addition to voting. :angel2:

In the meantime, in preparation for my upcoming dive trip, I've started looking around locally for a weight belt that fits. (I was told that most rented weight belts are quite large and since I have a small waist, I thought I'd best supply my own.) I've only been to one LDS so far, but was surprised to discover that they only carry one style of weight belt. Apparently, the reason for this is most people buy weight integrated BCs.

I haven't done any research in person yet on BCs, but I have poked around ScubaToys' website trying to discern the difference between weight integrated and *regular* BCs. So far, my only observation is that weight is held in detachable pockets on a weight integrated BC, whereas on a regular BC, weight is held around the waist, for example, in a weight belt. Is this accurate? :) What pertinent information should I know at this stage?

Regarding weight belt selection, I quite like this one that Dive_Girl suggested in my Not Fade Away thread. Has anyone tried it? Is there another one worth recommending?

:lmao:

#2 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 15 August 2006 - 12:26 PM

I use a Scubapro Sport Classic. I also use a weight belt. I have tried a back inflated, weight integrated BC and did not like it at all. Air gets trapped in the BC such that you have to roll to get the air out of it. This has never happened to me with a vest BC.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#3 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 12:27 PM

I'll stay out of the BC portion of the thread.

As for a weight belt, I will make the suggestion that you try to find a way to not need more than 4-6 pounds on your weightbelt. This should compensate for the swing weight of your tank, which is all the weightbelt should be doing. I also prefer hard lead weights. They are cheap, and easy to deal with. The most money I want tied up in a weightbelt is the buckle...

Edited by PerroneFord, 15 August 2006 - 12:33 PM.

#4 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 15 August 2006 - 12:30 PM

Even though my my current BC is weight intgrated i still have a weight belt in my box, and it just happens to be the one you linked too. Personally i like it because it can allow me to move the weight around and if need be dump it pocket by pocket.

also another weight belt to look at would be the DUI weight Trim 2 weight harness. the harness take the weight off your hips and places it more on your shoulders(when on land).

FWIW

Tooth

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#5 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 15 August 2006 - 01:20 PM

My wife uses the Tusa Selene BC, weight integrated, and really likes it. It has quite a few fit adjustments that you can use to give you a fit that is most comfortable.
You can read a review here:
http://www.sportdive...le.jsp?ID=36840
or here:
http://www.divernet....ivertests.shtml (about 2/3 of the way down the page)

Edited by jextract, 15 August 2006 - 01:21 PM.

"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#6 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 15 August 2006 - 01:25 PM

I have a back-inflate weight integrated BC. Never had a problem with air getting stuck. I really wanted to get a BP/W but my PADI dive shop talked me out of it for some strange reason. I can live with this until I need something new. Then I will be getting the BP/W

#7 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 15 August 2006 - 07:42 PM

Get a backplate and wing. Don't say I didn't warn you! :cool1:

Get a heavy enough plate that you only need to add a little weight to a belt. Another choice is to get a light plate (for travel) with a system that will allow weights to be placed up higher if you need them. Then, you can just use this with standard weights when you arrive at your destination. Weighting like this will keep you from having your feet down and head up while swimming through the water. Check with Kamala about the DSS backplate choices and combos.

The belt you show seems okay. You might want to go with their attachable weight pockets, and then you can put these on your harness waist strap. Personally, I wouldn't use a standard weight belt because it just won't fit as well (as other choices) with a backplate and harness set up.

Did I mention, don't say I didn't warn you? :thankyou:
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#8 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 15 August 2006 - 09:43 PM

A weight integrated BC can be used with a weight belt so it offers more options in that way.
A weight integrated BC takes the wight off your hips and is carried by your shoulders when upright and distributed across your back when horizontial.
My first choice would be a BP/W but would also suggest looking at something like the Seaquest Balance if your looking for wing style with weight integration and padding.
A test you want to do with the BC options you look at is to take the BC with nothing attached and no air in it and place it on top of water.Those that sink mean less weight to be worn,those that float means you'll pack extra weight just to sink the BC.
If you'll be travelling fold up the BC and see how much space it will occupy in your suitcase.
I've got a 2nd BP/W that I can set up for single tank(unless you want to try some small doubbles)

#9 tonyinasia

tonyinasia

Getting started

• Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:212

Posted 15 August 2006 - 10:19 PM

A weight integrated BC can be used with a weight belt so it offers more options in that way.

I agree with 6Gill, and would recommend purchasing a weight integrated BC if you're going to buy one. It gives you the option of using the weight belt, or adding the weight to your BC. This flexibility makes it nice. For example, if I'm diving from a small boat or dingy entering the water with a backwards entry, I use a weight belt; entering the water via a giant stride from the back of a dive boat, I add weights to my BC. It's strictly a personal choice, but it's nice to have the ability to do either.

The last recommendation is to look at the BC pockets. Some of the newer BC's have gusseted pockets that open wide when unzipped, making it easier to get your hand into. This is a great feature. My BC does not have this feature, but I wish it did..........

#10 bluedolphin

bluedolphin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Board Status:Private
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:296

Posted 16 August 2006 - 05:11 AM

So many choices.

Look around and try things on before you buy. Also talk with people who will be doing the same type of diving you will be doing, see what they use, pros and cons.

My first BC was weight integrated. back infalte, I paid a lot of money for it, everyone told me I would LOVE it, being new I took their advice. I hated it, this was something that did not work for me. Like Dennis said the air would get caught and it was just not for me.

I finally bought a Seaquest Diva (which I love to death), and I have had it since 1995. I also bought a Seaquest weight belt, similar to the one you posted the photo of, but sans the individual pockets it was all one strip with 5 individual pockets integrated into the belt. I have recently considered upgrading to a newer BC, another Diva, but sadly they only make them weight integrated. I suppose I coud just not use the pockets and continue to use my belt, but that would be only if I could actually buy a Diva here in Raleigh which I can't (only one store sells them and I would not buy anything there, and Seaquest does not permit Internet sales).

Bottom line is buy what is comfortable for you and something that will meet the majority of your needs. There really is no right or wrong on this issue, just what is best for you.

Good luck.
Happy Diving
Linda
Posted Image

#11 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 16 August 2006 - 07:23 AM

Things to look for in a BC:

1. No padding - Padding requires additional weight, yet compresses at depth so it no longer cushions. Additionally, air in a BC lifts the BCs weight off your back rendering padding redundant. Padding also increases drag, making dives in current more difficult and increasing your air consumption.

2. No cummerbund - Cummerbunds increase drag.

3. Dump valve at the highest point of the BC. - Inflate the BC and hold it up as if you were wearing it at the surface. Is the dump valve at the highest point? If not, look for a different BC. If it is, turn it as if you were swimming in a prone position. Is there a dump valve at the highest point? A good BC will pass both tests. If the dump valve is not at the highest point, it will trap air, requiring contortions to dump all the air or additional lead. A nice extra is a right shoulder dump valve and dump valves at the bottom.

4. No fabric covering of the bladder. - These BCs are sometimes called "bladderless" or "single bladder BCs." The fabric covering creates drag in current.

If you get a BC with those features, you'll have a good BC regardless of its style. Style (vest, back inflate, horse collar or BP/wing) is much less important than a good design and attention to details.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#12 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 16 August 2006 - 08:05 AM

I vote for "Other." I use the ScubaPro X-Tek, the equivalent of a Dive-Rite Transpac. It is modular, offering the advantages of a BP/W set up but has a soft harness that is more secure on my body than any BP I've used (including the DiveRite BP I own). You can add weight pockets to it to create a "weight integrated" set-up. In short it is flexible, flexible, flexible. You can see what I mean about both this set up and my BP/W when you're down here.

#13 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 08:25 AM

I vote for "Other." I use the ScubaPro X-Tek, the equivalent of a Dive-Rite Transpac. It is modular, offering the advantages of a BP/W set up but has a soft harness that is more secure on my body than any BP I've used (including the DiveRite BP I own). You can add weight pockets to it to create a "weight integrated" set-up. In short it is flexible, flexible, flexible. You can see what I mean about both this set up and my BP/W when you're down here.

Dr Bill,

I read your blog about your BP/W experience. From the sounds of it, your BP/W was poorly adjusted for fit. Remember that what might seem a wobble with a single tank would be DANGEROUS with 140# of gear like some of us use. When properly configured there is NO wobble, no looseness, and fit is like custom. I don't much care for the shape of the DR plate though with all that said.

In looking at the X-Tek, I don't really care for the padding, especially for single tank diving where it would require additional weight, and I absolutely HATE the chest straps.

I also don't care for weight integrated BCs as I think they are a bad idea. Should the need arise to come out of your gear underwater (entanglement, no mount restriction, some other malady) having the weight seperate from the BC would allow me to be neutral underwater. If the weight is in the BC, the diver would become HUGELY positive, and unless firm grip is maintained with the BC, the diver will be sent for a rocket ride.

The diver, with wieghts should be neutrally buoyant on the water, or slightly buoyant on the surface. The rig, if properly configured, should be neutral at the surface with empty tanks and the bladder empty. At depth, with an empty wing, and empty tanks the diver should be very slightly negative. A seperation of the diver from their gear should not cause a massive swing for either the diver or their gear.

#14 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 09:00 AM

I also don't care for weight integrated BCs as I think they are a bad idea. Should the need arise to come out of your gear underwater (entanglement, no mount restriction, some other malady) having the weight seperate from the BC would allow me to be neutral underwater. If the weight is in the BC, the diver would become HUGELY positive, and unless firm grip is maintained with the BC, the diver will be sent for a rocket ride.

I don't like 'em either, but this point of view doesn't seem to jive with your intention to eliminate 13 lbs of lead through use of a SS BP and negative tanks. What am I missing?

The diver, with wieghts should be neutrally buoyant on the water, or slightly buoyant on the surface.

Neutral. Positive on the surface (assuming no air in the BC) will make slow ascents extremely difficult.

Edited by Walter, 16 August 2006 - 09:01 AM.

DSSW,

WWW™

#15 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 09:03 AM

Regarding weight belt selection, I quite like this one that Dive_Girl suggested in my Not Fade Away thread. Has anyone tried it? Is there another one worth recommending?

What's the cost? I like weight belts with pockets (you have more flexibility with regard to what weights you can use), but assuming you get a sturdy one that fits well, I'd go with the least expensive one.

DSSW,

WWW™

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users