• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Buoyancy Compensators 101

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

Poll: Buoyancy Compensators 101: the 3 Ws (38 member(s) have cast votes)

What Do You Primarily Dive?

1. Vest-style BC that is weight integrated (17 votes [44.74%])

Percentage of vote: 44.74%

2. Vest-style BC with a weight belt if needed (6 votes [15.79%])

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

3. Vest-style BC with no additional weight (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. BP/W with a weight belt if needed (10 votes [26.32%])

Percentage of vote: 26.32%

5. BP/W with no additional weight (2 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

6. Other (3 votes [7.89%])

Percentage of vote: 7.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 16 August 2006 - 01:02 PM

Why metal buckles? I've heard others recommend this, but my experience is plastic buckles hold as well as the metal ones. What am I missing

We've had plastic buckels break where the metal buckels we have, have not. I've also found the metal buckles to clamp down tighter, less likley to come unbuckled.

Thanks for the response, Nicolle.

I tried to convince Trace that the DIR way would be to eliminate that failure point by just tying the belt around one's waist but he didn't buy my logic. :P

Just reporting what we've experienced in regards to weight belt buckel wear and tear.

This would also be a great new thread - I'll look at splitting it off.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#32 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 16 August 2006 - 01:03 PM

I would caution on this, depending on the type of diving you do. Those of us who beach dive in cold water might disagree with this point. There's no way I'm taking a long hike across the sand with a tank and 30# of lead without some padding.

If you're diving in cold water, you have lots of padding in your exposure suit.

I'll take that trade off, thank you.

That's why they make different BCs, so we all have choices.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#33 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 01:09 PM

Just reporting what we've experienced in regards to weight belt buckel wear and tear.

Please be careful how you do the split, Nicolle. If you refer back to my original post, I was looking for information on both BCs and weight belts. Thx for your consideration! :P

#34 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 16 August 2006 - 01:29 PM

Please be careful how you do the split, Nicolle. If you refer back to my original post, I was looking for information on both BCs and weight belts. Thx for your consideration! :P

AH! I was looking at the thread title...dar! Thanks annasea!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#35 hnladue

hnladue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Adv Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:enough

Posted 16 August 2006 - 01:30 PM

Annasea,
I dive a Zeagle Ranger. It's a weight integrated, back inflate. I love it and it's very comfortable.
Sempar Partus!!

#36 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:16 PM

Why metal buckles? I've heard others recommend this, but my experience is plastic buckles hold as well as the metal ones. What am I missing

We've had plastic buckels break where the metal buckels we have, have not. I've also found the metal buckles to clamp down tighter, less likley to come unbuckled.

I haven't had a plastic one break. (Not disagreeing though; I have just been lucky in the past. I now use all metal--even for holding my light in place.) I definitely agree that the metal ones clamp down more securely but are just as easy to open if needed.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#37 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:54 PM

I haven't had a plastic one break. (Not disagreeing though; I have just been lucky in the past. I now use all metal--even for holding my light in place.) I definitely agree that the metal ones clamp down more securely but are just as easy to open if needed.

This also pretty much sums up my experiance with buckles

#38 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 10:57 AM

This also pretty much sums up my experiance with buckles

It's amazing when gear is in rental the crazy things you see. As a clarification, I've never had a weight belt buckle bust at the hinges, but the most common break tends to be the "tongue" of the buckle breaking causing it to not clamp down and creating a sharp dangerous edge. I also had a plastic cam buckle actually shatter in my hands (cutting them) just this past December when rigging an Argon bottle. Oddly it was the only Halcyon item I owned at the time. I've since leaned toward metal buckles of any kind where I can.

#39 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 17 August 2006 - 11:34 AM

I've switched to metal buckles for my weight belt just because a weight belt is too important to lose underwater, dropping weights on the bucklet could happen, and I have had a broken plastic cam band.

Interestingly enough I haven't switched to metal cam bands yet mainly because I have two cam bands and because they might ding up or be hard on the tank. I could be wrong in that regard and will probably replace them at some point.

#40 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 12:35 PM

Interestingly enough I haven't switched to metal cam bands yet mainly because I have two cam bands and because they might ding up or be hard on the tank. I could be wrong in that regard and will probably replace them at some point.

I have some protective flaps under the cams on my sinlges set-up so my tanks don't get dinged. I can show you on Saturday.

#41 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 12:39 PM

I just called ScubaLuv, the dive shop on Catalina that I'll be renting most of my gear from, and they rent both *regular* BCs and weight integrated BCs. Apparently, the weight integrated BCs can carry over 20 lbs! So it looks like I won't even need a weight belt for this trip unless I decide to rent both styles. :welcome: (But since I've already tried a regular BC, I don't really need to try one again unless I'm shopping around for one to purchase.)

#42 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 01:03 PM

What BC did you try on your check out dives?

DSSW,

WWW™

#43 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 01:11 PM

What BC did you try on your check out dives?

It appeared to be a simple, entry level, non-weight integrated BC made by Genesis, I believe. (Perrone might be able to provide more information.)

When I took my PADI class here in Vancouver, I was using the same style of BC.

BTW, is this the weight belt you were writing about earlier in the thread?

#44 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 01:30 PM

It appeared to be a simple, entry level, non-weight integrated BC made by Genesis, I believe.......................BTW, is this the weight belt you were writing about earlier in the thread?

There's more difference from one of those to another than there is between a vest and a BP/wing.

That's the one.

DSSW,

WWW™

#45 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 01:38 PM

It appeared to be a simple, entry level, non-weight integrated BC made by Genesis, I believe.......................BTW, is this the weight belt you were writing about earlier in the thread?

There's more difference from one of those to another than there is between a vest and a BP/wing.

That's the one.

I don't understand this statement of yours. Please elaborate. (Both BCs that I used functioned in the same way. Or so it appeared to me.)

If you find this weight belt at your LDS for a better price than the shop in the Keys, let me know please. If it's worthwhile, I'll see if I can order it from the less expensive shop and have it sent to Catalina. Thx!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users