• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

NAME THIS FORUM

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#46 IndyScott

IndyScott

Getting started

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster-Deco,Adv.nitrox
  • Logged Dives:over 580

Posted 17 August 2006 - 06:54 PM

I think you should just leave the name as is.
If you want to put it in school terms, it is collage educated diving, That puts open water into elementary School. There is no reason to put divers down that have well advanced training!!
Scott

#47 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:21 PM

.. where did I put my popcorn :cheerleader:

#48 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 17 August 2006 - 10:54 PM

If you want to put it in school terms, it is collage educated diving, That puts open water into elementary School. There is no reason to put divers down that have well advanced training!!
Scott

Scott,

Nice to see you here. I wondered when you would post.

As your friend and dive buddy, I hope to see you here more!

Brian

PS I wouldn't call OW and AOW elementary school. It is just different. The jibes about "bonehead" and "knucklehead" describing tech diving were made in good fun and designed to make a certain person laugh a bit. Nobody here puts down divers of any level intentionally!
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#49 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 18 August 2006 - 06:53 AM

Scott

Welcome! What a grand entrance and one that clearly indicates an opinion on the matter! (I toned it down just a bit from font 5 to font size 3).

And as Brian says...we are glad you are here! And look forward to your posts. And Brian is also right that we like avoid picking on any group of divers on this site...new divers, old divers, seasoned divers nor teckies whatever that really means. We also do our best to avoid picking or criticizing a diver on where or how they were trained or with which diving agencies. (When that happens, we react promptly to moderate the issue and if a member persists in violating the 'respect' rules of this site they will eventually be asked to leave.)

So thank you for your contribution to the "What do we call the Technical Diving Forum so that it is enticing to those curiuos about learning more, evident to those who are already technical divers and catchy enough to be a touch different!"

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#50 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 18 August 2006 - 11:09 AM

:thankyou: Welcome to SD Scott!

I guess I missed the GRAND entrance, but that's like missing the wedding right? The reception after is always so much more fun! Any friend of Brian's, is one I look forward to seeing posts from!

Give other members the opportunity to get to know you better and offer a proper welcome by posting an intro in our New to SingleDivers.com forum!

Again welcome!

:sleepy:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#51 IndyScott

IndyScott

Getting started

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 09:23 PM

:cool2: Welcome to SD Scott!

I guess I missed the GRAND entrance, but that's like missing the wedding right? The reception after is always so much more fun! Any friend of Brian's, is one I look forward to seeing posts from!

Give other members the opportunity to get to know you better and offer a proper welcome by posting an intro in our New to SingleDivers.com forum!

Again welcome!

:cool2:

Thanks all!
I am glad to be here and just give my 2 cents. And get a few too!!

Scott

#52 hnladue

hnladue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Adv Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:enough

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:27 AM

FYI- My comments were NOT aimed at any certain person, so please if you think they were aimed at you, recheck your ego. My comments were aimed at the industry and also myself!! ALL of the divers I dive with here think they are 'technical' divers. Ok, so they dive doubles and one even dives trimix. But almost all of our dives around here are recreational in depth. So all my comments are meant in fun and nothing serious! I'm a bonehead just as much as the rest of them, and even a knucklehead for even thinking about CCR diving!!! Off to join the funny farm!! Cheers!

Scott! Glad you joined us. We're a good bunch. Don't mind me, I'm loopy from sniffing nitrox!
Sempar Partus!!

#53 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:50 AM

FYI- My comments were NOT aimed at any certain person, so please if you think they were aimed at you, recheck your ego. My comments were aimed at the industry and also myself!! ALL of the divers I dive with here think they are 'technical' divers. Ok, so they dive doubles and one even dives trimix. But almost all of our dives around here are recreational in depth. So all my comments are meant in fun and nothing serious! I'm a bonehead just as much as the rest of them, and even a knucklehead for even thinking about CCR diving!!! Off to join the funny farm!! Cheers!

Scott! Glad you joined us. We're a good bunch. Don't mind me, I'm loopy from sniffing nitrox!

Actually, that brings up a valid point. It wasn't always as common to see doubles and decompression mixes on a dive boat where most of the dives are 120 ft or less. Trimix would have been unheard of at 120 ft. Many divers now dive mix below 100 ft. and run rich mixes for their ascents. In other words they apply techniques more common for overhead dives and staged deco dives to make moderately deep dives more safe.

I know of a couple of dive boats up here that have lost business by restricting divers from using doubles on "recreational" charters. One case is legimate as the space on the deck allows for one tank to be stored on the deck and the other to be stored down below and that is all of the room that he has. Six sets of doubles would be too much for his deck space.

The other boat used to allow doubles, but the Captain wanted to make sure that people couldn't abuse the dive length and be down for a ton of deco on a 130-140 ft. dive after paying for a "recreational" charter. He makes two trips per day and divers doing this really extend out his time on the water. That many sets of doubles would cramp his deck space severely as well. As a matter of fact, I dove with that captain when I started diving with Scott's group.

What were the favored forum names again?
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#54 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:07 AM

I don't normally consider depth to be a factor in recreational vs technical diving. There are MANY highly technical sites around me in less than 60ft of water.

I also use doubles for my recreational dives, and really don't do much single tank diving any more. I get a lot of peace of mind from the redundancy. I could dive a pony I guess, but I feel that less optimal in some regards.

In terms of the boats trying to keep schedule, I'd suggest captains only take doubles divers out for the second dive of the day. At least one of the operators down in Panama City does this (dive with them a few months ago) and we did a nice offshore 105ft dive. However, they were not interested in taking doubles so I did a single tank.

I am happy to see double tanks being used on dives that skirt the edge of the tables for depth and duration. I think it's a safer option. I am also happy to see divers safely employing richer mixtures on ascent as long as it's done with proper training.

#55 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:13 PM

I still say if you combine recreational with technical to form a new word rectecal which is pretty encompassing....

keep your fingers to youself and stay on the other side of the boat.
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#56 IndyScott

IndyScott

Getting started

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:34 PM

... That many sets of doubles would cramp his deck space severely as well. As a matter of fact, I dove with that captain when I started diving with Scott's group.

I enjoy doing the deeper deco dives with doubles. It would be nice to find other dive charter in the south that I could hook up with other divers doing the same type of diving. That is what I would like to get out of this forum. I did not mean to insult any body by saying diving was open water was elementary. But it is just a start of being under water. There are so many different areas you can Expand your self into under water and the door is open and the training & equipment is out there for you.
When I first used a regulator underwater, I knew that underwater is where I would like to spend every moment I could. (That was until I met my wife) now I share it with her.

Scott

Edited by IndyScott, 21 August 2006 - 08:38 PM.

#57 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:24 PM

I enjoy doing the deeper deco dives with doubles. It would be nice to find other dive charter in the south that I could hook up with other divers doing the same type of diving.

Well, I am not sure what you mean about the "South," but we have charters that work with us in Florida, South Carolina (I only know about deep fresh water there--but there are other people here who know about all of them) and North Carolina. Is that south enough for you? :evilgrin:
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#58 IndyScott

IndyScott

Getting started

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 12:48 PM

I enjoy doing the deeper deco dives with doubles. It would be nice to find other dive charter in the south that I could hook up with other divers doing the same type of diving.

Well, I am not sure what you mean about the "South," but we have charters that work with us in Florida, South Carolina (I only know about deep fresh water there--but there are other people here who know about all of them) and North Carolina. Is that south enough for you? :lmao:

More Like Florida and the Caribbean. :D

scott

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users