• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

NAME THIS FORUM

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#31 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 07:39 PM

Or... you could just say technical. Which is what is used and understood industry wide.

#32 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 16 August 2006 - 08:16 PM

"Beyond the Limits" also sounds a little too much like the free diving term "No Limits."

Rick
:o

#33 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 16 August 2006 - 08:29 PM

Or... you could just say technical. Which is what is used and understood industry wide.

There's always a debate between following what other's do or thinking for oneself (sometimes coming to the same conclusions and sometimes coming to differring concludsions).

Technical Diving as a name for the existing forum called "Technical Diving" is fine for me though. Some things aren't worth arguing about. :o

#34 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 16 August 2006 - 08:34 PM

If I sling a bottle of oxygen on my rig, an OW diver might think that was very advanced.

If I show like that to dive in Wakulla, people would think I was a newbie.

Advanced is VERY relative to where you're looing from.

Advanced is always going to be a moving train. Perhaps it would be better to use the term Advancing.

Advanced Diving
Advancing Diving
Beyond the Limits

ALL of these do describe diving past/beyond the 100 ft recreational limits as Walter said. And that is what technical diving is in a nutshell. And as Perrone says it is 'technical' depending on the perspective just as he says 'advanced' is only advanced depending on perspective. But since we build in this forum from nondiver to new diver to advanced diver...it makes sense to consider this perspective applicable.

However what these 3 names have that technical does not is 'interest'...'applicability' and 'appeal' to the individual diver that is.

I think it was Perrone who said that if a topic were 'relagated' to the tech forum that it would be buried or lost on the average diver that did not think that the topic applied to them. Or only people who percieved that they were a 'technical' diver would visit that forum.

So if the forum were more 'inclusive' as well as had the SD flair about it...of which the 3 suggestions above do...then I think more people would take a peek to see what was inside and hopefully they will be interested enough to participate since the 'moniker/stereotype' of technical diver would be missing.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#35 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 08:39 PM

Oh,

Were we trying to be more inclusive with the name? I didn't realize that. I thought you were trying to find a good name for the forum where we talked about techncial diving.... :o

#36 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 08:44 PM

Oh,

Were we trying to be more inclusive with the name? I didn't realize that. I thought you were trying to find a good name for the forum where we talked about techncial diving.... :D

I think we need to find a good descriptive name that is also inclusive...unless you only want certain people to read the topics in there. :o

And yes...SingleDivers.com is ALL ABOUT BEING INCLUSIVE! How else will people want to learn more? Why else will people want to share? How else will people want to dive together?

Yeah baby...its ALL about being inclusive! :P

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#37 ASDmike

ASDmike

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EAN
  • Logged Dives:700ish

Posted 16 August 2006 - 08:50 PM

Advanced Diving
Advancing Diving
Beyond the Limits

ALL of these do describe diving past/beyond the 100 ft recreational limits as Walter said....

I read it quickly as Advancing the Limits
'06 - Fireworks on History, Singles Fantasy
'07 - Ancient Egypt/Red Sea Liveaboard
'08 - Bonaire Singles Week ...In STYLE!!!

#38 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 08:57 PM

I like the idea of a *title* (Beyond the Limits, Advancing the Limits) as opposed to a *description* (advanced diving, advancing diving). An example of this, of course, is renaming the New and Non-divers forum The Safety Stop. General Diving is fine as it is, since it's *general*, but I really like naming other diving-related forums something. Much more interesting and original!

Maybe others can come up with a *title*, too, and we can vote solely on titles and leave descriptions/phrases such as advanced diving and advancing diving to the blurb underneath the title.

#39 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 16 August 2006 - 09:38 PM

I like the idea of a *title* (Beyond the Limits, Advancing the Limits) as opposed to a *description* (advanced diving, advancing diving). An example of this, of course, is renaming the New and Non-divers forum The Safety Stop. General Diving is fine as it is, since it's *general*, but I really like naming other diving-related forums something. Much more interesting and original!

Maybe others can come up with a *title*, too, and we can vote solely on titles and leave descriptions/phrases such as advanced diving and advancing diving to the blurb underneath the title.

Then I vote for "Advancing the Limits". "Beyond the Limits" sounds dangerous and I don't like the concept of limits anyway. If there are limits then you shouldn't go beyond them should you? :o

Or maybe "The Great Beyond". :P

Come on people loosen up. :D Maybe technical divers can't loosen up technically speaking. :P

Edited by gcbryan, 16 August 2006 - 09:41 PM.

#40 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 16 August 2006 - 10:04 PM

:thankyou: annasea - I just renamed that forum before looking into ernaming this one. Sometimes better titles can peak a diver's interest as opposed to turning them away.

Advancing the Limits is also interesting! I like that we are using our SD style to come up with something different for our forums yet not too cryptic!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#41 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 16 August 2006 - 10:19 PM

"The Great Beyond" sounds like someone who is communicating with the departed or something like that. So, I am not for that one. I still like "Beyond the Limits" though I would not wage a war about it.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#42 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 17 August 2006 - 12:06 AM

I still say if you combine recreational with technical to form a new word rectecal which is pretty encompassing....

#43 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 12:13 AM

One forum at a time, of course, but maybe we can also consider a more interesting name for the Diving Related Lessons Learned forum, too? :thankyou:

#44 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 17 August 2006 - 10:47 AM

One forum at a time, of course, but maybe we can also consider a more interesting name for the Diving Related Lessons Learned forum, too? :welcome:

We are! Click here. And we could use your creativity! :D
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#45 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 11:17 AM

I read it quickly as Advancing the Limits

WAY COOL! :welcome: And VERY descriptive of what technical diving really is...it is advancing ones own limits in diving! And it fits with SD's style of being fun, catchy and creative!

This has my vote! -ww

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users