• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

NAME THIS FORUM

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 15 August 2006 - 01:51 PM

So it appears the use of the word "technical" elicits rather strong feelings from divers.

The origin of the use of the term "technical" in regards to diving has been credited to Mike Menundo who first coined the term, "technical diving" in an issue of Aquacorps magazine.

As defined by the Wikipedia, Technical Diving is: Technical diving is a form of SCUBA diving that exceeds the scope of recreational diving. Technical divers require advanced training, extensive experience, and specialized equipment.

The term "technical" has been loosely used to define the following diving:

1) Diving beyond 130' in depth (or in depth + penetration distance)
2) Dives exceeding nodecompression limits
3) Full diving in an overhead environment (cave, ice, wreck)
4) Diving with additional tanks to meet all gas needs of a dive
5) Use of mixed gases while diving: O2 above 40%, trimix…etc.
6) Diving using closed or semi-closed rebreathers

Some people find the term "technical diving" useful. For example from an instructional standpoint, a majority of instructors are not trained to teach divers to exceed a dive depth of 130' or to make dives exceeding the nodecompression limits at any depth. The term technical instructor or technical diver is used in reference to exceeding those limits or as further expanded in the list above.

Others, however, find the concept of "technical" diving as invalid citing that divers are either diving for fun (recreationally) or diving for work (commercially). Some see it as an artificial separation that departs no useful information adding to the confusion since divers who use the term can't seem to agree on a definition, while others who may do types of diving that could fall within a common place technical diving definition don't define themselves as "technical divers." Some divers find the use of the term offensive, used to feed other divers' egos.

So as the discussion regarding this term has again come about. Although I recently organized this forum, Technical Diving, earlier this year to provide a place for discussion of such diving as noted above, we would happily welcome an alternative forum name so as not to confuse or offend. In an effort to have a user friendly navigateable site, one central General Diving forum is not the solution to house the bulk of diving discussions on a diving Web site. We would, however, like to avoid creating multiple mini forums such as Cavern Diver, Cave Diver, Ice Diver, Wreck Diver, Decompression Diver, Deep Diver, Rebreather Diver...etc. as often times the divers involved in these types of diving overlap and are smaller in number and tend to interrelate their diving discussions.

Guide for posting in this thread: constructive commentary is welcomed accompanied by the offer of a forum name.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#2 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 15 August 2006 - 01:58 PM

"Technical"'s as good as any. Maybe "more advanced diving"?

#3 mantarraya

mantarraya

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:>100

Posted 15 August 2006 - 02:00 PM

Xtreme Diving!!!

Just kidding, of course.
Back after a long absence - whew, too busy at work!

#4 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 02:11 PM

Technical diving is fine. Leave it alone. We know what it means.

#5 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 02:18 PM

Although I'd never have any reason to post in it, I rather like Peter's idea of naming it Advanced Diving, or something to that effect. General Diving and Advanced Diving -- no specifics mentioned but specific enough, methinks. :lmao:

#6 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 02:23 PM

Advanced diving sounds too much like AOW. If you are doing technical diving, you know what is here. If you are NOT doing technical diving, you know it's something you are not doing.

#7 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 15 August 2006 - 03:17 PM

The name doesn't matter to me one way or the other. People do know what Technical means (more or less) but I also agree that Advanced Diving is more descriptive of what we are talking about as it allows for more bluring of the lines. One can have an advanced dive at 100 fsw in cold water, current, at night with difficult navigational requirements. One can also have an advanced dive due to depth, gas, over head, etc.

If a new forum is ever added you should consider something along the lines of "What I learned about diving from that mistake" or something similar.

#8 Blackhawk

Blackhawk

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 09:17 PM

Keep it what it is. People fine reason to whine about anything. The industry considers it Technical diving so leave it Technical diving.
I put my right foot in, I put my left foot out, I do the aikipokey and throw you all about :D

#9 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 15 August 2006 - 09:25 PM

Not a biggie to me, but everyone already has a pretty standard label for what technical diving is. I think it's just easier to stick with it than to come up with our own name.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#10 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 15 August 2006 - 09:55 PM

As others have said no need to change it.Any other name we would use be be just as valid/invalid.

#11 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 16 August 2006 - 07:01 AM

Well, I personally believe the term is useless, but I don't expect people to stop using it. I think the name is much less important than the content of the forum, but if you really want to rename it (we've historically looked for unusual names at SD - hense "Surface Interval") I think, Beyond the Limits, might work well.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#12 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 16 August 2006 - 09:48 AM

I think, Beyond the Limits, might work well.

GREAT suggestion! We'll be looking at making a name change by the end of this week. Thank you for this one!! :welcome:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#13 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 16 August 2006 - 10:00 AM

I think, Beyond the Limits, might work well.

GREAT suggestion! We'll be looking at making a name change by the end of this week. Thank you for this one!! :welcome:

I like this one, too. So far, this has my vote.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#14 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 16 August 2006 - 10:37 AM

Walter I think that is too cool! And YES it is in typical SD style!!! :welcome:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#15 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:00 AM

I could go with that name.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users