• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

NAME THIS FORUM

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#16 hnladue

hnladue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Adv Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:enough

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:47 AM

Knucklehead Diving...

It's not Beyond the Limits.... Limits of what? Water? Light? Stupidity? Well ok maybe the last one...

I figure you gotta be a knucklehead to want to get into risks of deep diving. :P
Sempar Partus!!

#17 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:47 AM

I like Beyond the Limits as well.

#18 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:48 AM

Knucklehead Diving...

It's not Beyond the Limits.... Limits of what? Water? Light? Stupidity? Well ok maybe the last one...

I figure you gotta be a knucklehead to want to get into risks of deep diving. :P

hnladue don't beat around the bush with what you are trying to say here - just spit it out... :P :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#19 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 16 August 2006 - 12:49 PM

Knucklehead Diving...

I like it!
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#20 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 16 August 2006 - 12:57 PM

Knucklehead Diving...

I figure you gotta be a knucklehead to want to get into risks of deep diving. :lmao:

I like it!

Yeah but its not in SD's style...

but more than likely she it talking about her good friend and divebuddy who happens to be one of our very own moderators. She says he is a bonehead all the time for taking the risks involved in deep diving. (Mind you she has started much of the same training herself so is not a complete outsider looking in poking fun.)

And there ARE a lot of risks involced in deep divng. MORE than most people want to or need to deal with. Tech diving is NOT for everyone NOR is it the natural progression of a recretional diver's diving path/career.

I fear that many people will want to try it thinking its cool to know or better yet make them one of the 'cool' kids and will not check out the instructor very well or fully realize what they are getting into. THAT scares me and as a result they could end up being described just as hnladue did! :P

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#21 hnladue

hnladue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 01:02 PM

OK so Wenchy just named it....

BONEHEAD DIVING!!!!!

--Jr Bonehead in Training.
Sempar Partus!!

#22 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 01:07 PM

Are you a Minbari?

DSSW,

WWW™

#23 hnladue

hnladue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 01:25 PM

No I am human and definately NOT BALD!! However, Walter.... are ya looking for someone your own kind?? eh? eh?
Sempar Partus!!

#24 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 01:27 PM

LOL! Good one, Darlin'! I always think of Minbari when I hear the term, "bonehead."

DSSW,

WWW™

#25 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 16 August 2006 - 04:07 PM

And there ARE a lot of risks involced in deep divng. MORE than most people want to or need to deal with. Tech diving is NOT for everyone NOR is it the natural progression of a recretional diver's diving path/career.

I fear that many people will want to try it thinking its cool to know or better yet make them one of the 'cool' kids and will not check out the instructor very well or fully realize what they are getting into. THAT scares me and as a result they could end up being described just as lndalue did! :thankyou:

This brings up an interesting point (to me anyway) and it comes up often on the internet. Is it better to hold back with information so that a knucklehead doesn't hurt themselves or to freely exchange information counting on everyone to use it in the proper way?

My feeling is that information should be exchanged freely. Knowledge is never bad. A knucklehead probably isn't reading posts on the internet :respect: and in any event will do what he/she has planned on doing regardless of what he/she reads. For everyone else additional information is only to the good. In a worst case scenario at least we will have a more informed knucklehead. :P

#26 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 16 August 2006 - 05:57 PM

I favor keeping the term "Technical Diving." Even a "technical" diver does have some limits, so "Beyond the Limits" is really a misnomer. In fact, a good technical diver is probably more aware of his/her limits than most other divers, out of necessity.

Most divers would recognize technical diving to be something identical or akin to Nicolle's description in her opening post. For that reason, I would prefer keeping the original name.

Rick
:o

If you believe certain words, you believe their hidden arguments. When you believe something is right or wrong, true or false, you believe the assumptions in the words which express the arguments. Such assumptions are often full of holes, but remain most precious to the convinced.--from "Children of Dune" by Frank Herbert

#27 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 06:29 PM

"Beyond the Limits" is really a misnomer.

So is "Technical diving." There is nothing "technical" about the diving you are describing that isn't also technical about all SCUBA diving. While all these diving many types of diving have little in common, one thing they do have in common is they all go beyond the limits most of us learned when we started diving. They go beyond the 100 ft limit, or they go beyond the limit of the NDLs or they go beyond the limit of no overhead environments.............

DSSW,

WWW™

#28 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 07:10 PM

"Beyond the Limits" is really a misnomer.

So is "Technical diving." There is nothing "technical" about the diving you are describing that isn't also technical about all SCUBA diving. While all these diving many types of diving have little in common, one thing they do have in common is they all go beyond the limits most of us learned when we started diving. They go beyond the 100 ft limit, or they go beyond the limit of the NDLs or they go beyond the limit of no overhead environments.............

Which is why I kind of like Advanced Diving. Almost everyone has advanced beyond what they learned in OW class (OW,AOL,Rescue).

#29 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 07:19 PM

If I sling a bottle of oxygen on my rig, an OW diver might think that was very advanced.

If I show like that to dive in Wakulla, people would think I was a newbie.

Advanced is VERY relative to where you're looing from.

#30 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 07:28 PM

If I sling a bottle of oxygen on my rig, an OW diver might think that was very advanced.

If I show like that to dive in Wakulla, people would think I was a newbie.

Advanced is VERY relative to where you're looing from.

Advanced is always going to be a moving train. Perhaps it would be better to use the term Advancing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users