• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

DIR Divers

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

Poll: DIR Divers (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Who Does It?

1. I want to do it but don't know enough about it or where to get the training (4 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

2. I have learned about it, and I am not interested (state your reasons) (4 votes [13.33%])

3. I have learned about it, and I am planning on doing some of this training (3 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

4. I am taking this training right now, and I like it (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. I am taking this training, and I probably won't stick with it (0 votes [0.00%])

6. I have done this training, and I am going to get more involved with it (1 votes [3.33%])

Percentage of vote: 3.33%

7. I have done this training, and I will use what I got from it in some ways (4 votes [13.33%])

8. I have done this training, and I will strictly follow it (0 votes [0.00%])

9. I have done this training, and I really won't use most of it (0 votes [0.00%])

10. I haven't done the training but have still learned about it and use some of it (9 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

11. I haven't learned about it, and I'm not interested in learning about it (5 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 28 August 2006 - 02:43 PM

Where do you fit in the DIR crowd?
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#2 AliKat

AliKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 02:46 PM

I am not anywhere in your poll.

You don't have a "haven't learned, not interested in learning and wouldn't use it!"

I'm perfectly happy with my PADI training and being a warm water wus of a resort diver!
"

#3 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 02:49 PM

I am not anywhere in your poll.

You don't have a "haven't learned, not interested in learning and wouldn't use it!"

I'm perfectly happy with my PADI training and being a warm water wus of a resort diver!

How do you know what you don't know until you know? If someone hasn't even learned what something is, how do you know that it is not for you?

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#4 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 28 August 2006 - 02:58 PM

Another option you don't have which is along the lines of one of your options which was have done the training and will use some of it.

How about haven't done the training but have still learned about it and use some of it. :unsure:

#5 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 03:27 PM

Both suggestions are now added.

#6 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 04:25 PM

I can't find the right fit either, Howard. How about adding something like:

I haven't learned about it, but I AM interested in learning about it

#7 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 28 August 2006 - 05:16 PM

It still doesn't cover me. I don't intend to take any DIR classes. I have learned about it and use some of it but don't intend to take any DIR classes. This is a big category in the general public.

#8 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 28 August 2006 - 05:40 PM

Some of my setup looks DIR but the long hose has been in use in the NE for thirty some years. My pony setup is DEW (Doing Everything Wrong) so I'm a little bit of everything that works for me.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#9 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 07:43 PM

It still doesn't cover me. I don't intend to take any DIR classes. I have learned about it and use some of it but don't intend to take any DIR classes. This is a big category in the general public.

"I haven't done the training but have still learned about it and use some of it."

#10 hnladue

hnladue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Adv Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:enough

Posted 29 August 2006 - 07:25 AM

I would love to learn it!! But not from some zealot who tells me I HAVE to do it their way or I'm gonna die....

I'm sure there are some things I could take away from a class like that, but I don't like the mentality they have (at least the divers in my area have). They are of the mind set- You don't dive our way you have no business diving at all.
Sempar Partus!!

#11 dad+2(.5)

dad+2(.5)

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Cert Level:open water,nitrox
  • Logged Dives:50

Posted 29 August 2006 - 09:32 AM

:wakawaka: :D :cool1: I guess I need to surface more often ..I don't even know what DIR is!
"Here's to woman! Would that we could fall into her arms without falling into her hands"Ambrose Bierce, quoted in Grattan's Bitter Bierce

#12 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 29 August 2006 - 09:41 AM

I would love to learn it!! But not from some zealot who tells me I HAVE to do it their way or I'm gonna die....

I'm sure there are some things I could take away from a class like that, but I don't like the mentality they have (at least the divers in my area have). They are of the mind set- You don't dive our way you have no business diving at all.

Actually, my understanding is that the "zealot issue" is more of a factor with a few vocal students coming out with that mindset than the instructors presenting the course that way.

I dive with a few DIR types around here and have no problem with them. There are others at the quarry that I avoid like the plague.

The reason that my gear (aside from some issues like having a deco bottle on the right side when I dive two deco gases and having a quick disconnect on my left shoulder of my harness) looks close to DIR at times is that they have gathered good ideas and simply wrote them up as a system and named it. I took some of this from my nomoxic instructor, who dives caves when he doesn't dive deep wrecks and some from the DIR types that I dive with on occassion. Keep in mind that all DIR really consists of is concepts from cave divers that have been collated and given a name.

This goes under the category of a class that I might have taken, but I am likely going into CCR next and that is definitely not DIR :wakawaka: . I might take it one day and simply not worry about the provisional pass as I have no desire to take any DIR course above DIRf. I already have technical certs through another agency and they cost me a money and time. I don't care to repeat them.

The clinics that we had going where perfect for me. No cards were involved. The exchange of infomation was priceless though.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#13 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 29 August 2006 - 03:11 PM

.Unfortunately the few "zealots" you mentioned gave DIR a bad rep early on. And now when most people here the term or see a DIR diver on the boat they automatically get the wrong impression.

I have never went up to another diver and said his gear was all jacked up and the configuration was wrong; conversely, I’ve had numerous divers come up to me on a boat defending their gear set up right off the bat.

My main and underlying rule is “Never dive with an unsafe diver.” Will I dive a recreational profile with someone in a recreation BC—sure, if they follow rule number 1; will I dive a technical dive with a deco obligation with that same person—probably not. But then I plan those dives with a dedicated buddy, who dives DIR and shares my beliefs

#14 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 29 August 2006 - 03:58 PM

I have been referred to as the poster boy for non-DIR diving. The zealots spoiled much of it for me. However, I do believe that any good school of diving theory and practice can offer good information that may fit YOUR type of diving. Therefore I listen to what DIR suggests and pick and choose what works for me. I have DIR buddies... on the few occasions I'm not diving solo.

#15 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 29 August 2006 - 10:42 PM

.Unfortunately the few "zealots" you mentioned gave DIR a bad rep early on. And now when most people here the term or see a DIR diver on the boat they automatically get the wrong impression.

I have never went up to another diver and said his gear was all jacked up and the configuration was wrong; conversely, I’ve had numerous divers come up to me on a boat defending their gear set up right off the bat.

My main and underlying rule is “Never dive with an unsafe diver.” Will I dive a recreational profile with someone in a recreation BC—sure, if they follow rule number 1; will I dive a technical dive with a deco obligation with that same person—probably not. But then I plan those dives with a dedicated buddy, who dives DIR and shares my beliefs

Vinny,

I know that you are one of the open-minded types that I like to dive with and would like to dive with again. If you saw some of the people at the local quarry, you would know the types that I avoid.

That was my point. I can't give you a percentage, but I will say that the vast majority of the DIR types that I spend time around are open-minded and cool. The ones that aren't wouldn't dive with me and that is fine because I don't dive with people that I can't have fun with :) . Unsafe divers are a different story as I know very few of them. I dive with them until I find out that they are unsafe :-D .
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users