• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

DIR Divers

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

Poll: DIR Divers (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Who Does It?

1. I want to do it but don't know enough about it or where to get the training (4 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

2. I have learned about it, and I am not interested (state your reasons) (4 votes [13.33%])

3. I have learned about it, and I am planning on doing some of this training (3 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

4. I am taking this training right now, and I like it (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. I am taking this training, and I probably won't stick with it (0 votes [0.00%])

6. I have done this training, and I am going to get more involved with it (1 votes [3.33%])

Percentage of vote: 3.33%

7. I have done this training, and I will use what I got from it in some ways (4 votes [13.33%])

8. I have done this training, and I will strictly follow it (0 votes [0.00%])

9. I have done this training, and I really won't use most of it (0 votes [0.00%])

10. I haven't done the training but have still learned about it and use some of it (9 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

11. I haven't learned about it, and I'm not interested in learning about it (5 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 dad+2(.5)

dad+2(.5)

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Cert Level:open water,nitrox
  • Logged Dives:50

Posted 30 August 2006 - 08:16 AM

:-D :) :fish: OK, I'll rephrase--- WHAT does DIR stand for?

Edited by dad+2(.5), 30 August 2006 - 08:18 AM.

"Here's to woman! Would that we could fall into her arms without falling into her hands"Ambrose Bierce, quoted in Grattan's Bitter Bierce

#17 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 08:58 AM

http://www.gue.com/E...tion/index.html

#18 dad+2(.5)

dad+2(.5)

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Cert Level:open water,nitrox
  • Logged Dives:50

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:50 AM

http://www.gue.com/E...tion/index.html

:-D :) :fish: Thanks PerroneFord, Now that I know what its about,I think it would be helpfull info to have, but I have don't know of any dive shops that offer the training.
"Here's to woman! Would that we could fall into her arms without falling into her hands"Ambrose Bierce, quoted in Grattan's Bitter Bierce

#19 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:01 PM

GUE is a niche training agency. They are too small to have "shops" that offer the training. You have to seek out indiviual instructors and their classes. It is also likely you will have to travel for it. I highly recommend you take the course in Florida. Namely, in High Springs, Florida. Hotels are cheap, the instructors are good, and you'll be immersed in the environment where DIR came from.

This is not to say there are not other places to take the training, but this is where you should take it if you can.

DIR is far more about a mindset and approach to diving, than anything else. It is certainly NOT for everyone. Many people see it as doing it wrong. Even many of my colleagues, and my other instructors don't care for it. The gear requirements are fairly strict for taking the course, so understand that if you are truly interested in pursing the training. This locks many interested folks out.

I am in the midst of my cave course at the moment, and I can say the DIRF course was instrumental in helping me have the success I am enjoying right now.

Again, DIR is not the only way to dive, but I think it is one of a few good ways to dive.

#20 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 30 August 2006 - 03:41 PM

Perrone,
Good luck in you Cave class.

Vinny

#21 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 07:03 AM

Cave course over, I didn't finish (no full pass), but made it further than half-way.

Thanks Vinny.

(sorry for the hijaak)

#22 Cephalopod

Cephalopod

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water Instructor.
  • Logged Dives:1963 to present...and me with just ten fingers!!!

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:47 AM

I am not anywhere in your poll.

You don't have a "haven't learned, not interested in learning and wouldn't use it!"

I'm perfectly happy with my PADI training and being a warm water wus of a resort diver!

I'm with AliKat. Recreational diving is what most of us do. Tec diving is a serious challenge. DIR reduces your risk factor, but I don't see the need for it in my watery world. We have our own basic specs.

I dive, and have taught scuba as a fun, relaxing, recreational sport. I have absolutely no interest in wreck penetration, overhead environment diving, tri-mix, deco, or going deeper than 132 feet. Those that do are diving for reasons other than the rest of us. Likewise, I don't base jump, skydive, or swim outside the cage with Great Whites. I simply don't crave that type of excitement, or personal fulfillment. I want to relax and have fun with this sport.

This isn't to "dis" Tec divers. It's your life...spend it, and your money, however you wish, and more power to you. The rest of us will thoroughly enjoy reading about your adventures.

Personally, given a choice of staring at a murky, rusting hulk at 250', or checking out AliKat's frame in a bikini, while holding a watered-down, all inclusive, "Rum-Runner"...Hmmmmm! Yup! She wins. :teeth:

One man's opinion.

"Ceph"
"The most dangerous creature you will encounter in any ocean, and the only one truly worth worrying about, is yourself!" H. E. Potter, General Public Nuisance, circa 2005

#23 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 31 August 2006 - 11:15 AM

In defense of DIR, it can work well for the lovers of watching bikini clad women on the dive boat too :teeth: . It is simply a system of diving. It can be applied to the non overhead/deep realm.

The real differences that make it difficult to apply to warm water divers that are single.

One: It demands a like minded buddy. It is very buddy reliant. But then, I find a single tank rig to be more demanding of having a buddy. In many situations, in a standard warm water dive location, your only safe bail-out on an equipment malfuntion is your buddy. In "technical" diving, I have another post to access (meaning a completely first and second stage). I am not and can not be buddy reliant in that type of diving. The problem is that many warm water divers are forced to dive in a situation of finding an "insta-buddy". That is extremely difficult with true DIR.

Two: A backplate and harness looks "techie" and can cause a few funny looks from people on the boat. Let's not even get into using a 5-7 ft. LP hose for your primary.

There are more, but I can't think of them off of the top of my head. The first one is the largest issue though (IMHO).

Keep in mind this is coming from a non-DIR diver who dives doubles and deco bottles on most any wreck dive below 100 ft. and even though I am maintaining a no deco profile (My theory is that the richer EAN on the way up helps purge my system out better and that every little bit helps :D ). My normal dive buddy for these no-deco dives is in a Zeagle Ranger BC with a standard second stage and octo set-up. She also dives a wetsuit next to me in a drysuit. I cannot say enough good about my safety when I dive with her. I trust her implicitly in that regard. Hopefully one day we will both be diving CCR :banghead: . Boat captains look at us with kind of crossed eyes when they figure out that we are dive buddies, but we are like minded underwater and that is what counts at the end of the day.

I won't promote DIR. But, I will say that if you want to reduce your risk, it is a good system to look at. Personally, the full system is not for me (or even many of the divers on this board from what I read). But, it works well for many others, so I won't try to slam it either.

BTW, I love the bikini imagine for a surface interval. But for my diving, give me the wreck :banghead: .
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#24 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 11:38 AM

This DIR stuff is a mountain out of a molehill. I've done DIR dives with people who didn't know the first thing about the system. Everything necessary was covered in the pre-dive briefing, and everything went according to plan.

The REAL danger to DIR are the people who don't know anything about, THINK they do, and start shooting off at the mouth about how it sucks, how they'll never do it, it's for tech diver, or overhead divers etc.

The great proportion of DIR divers have not, and most likely never will be in an overhead environment. A great many DIR divers spend most of their time in single tanks.

Frankly, DIR is about sharing risks. And from I've seen, most divers are too selfish and self absorbed to think about the safety of their dive buddies, thus DIR or any other safety-based, will never work for them.

#25 Cephalopod

Cephalopod

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 12:21 PM

This DIR stuff is a mountain out of a molehill. I've done DIR dives with people who didn't know the first thing about the system. Everything necessary was covered in the pre-dive briefing, and everything went according to plan.

The REAL danger to DIR are the people who don't know anything about, THINK they do, and start shooting off at the mouth about how it sucks, how they'll never do it, it's for tech diver, or overhead divers etc.

The great proportion of DIR divers have not, and most likely never will be in an overhead environment. A great many DIR divers spend most of their time in single tanks.

Frankly, DIR is about sharing risks. And from I've seen, most divers are too selfish and self absorbed to think about the safety of their dive buddies, thus DIR or any other safety-based, will never work for them.

Hmmm....interesting response, PF. But I must disagree about "most divers". My experience has been just the opposite.

"Ceph"

Edited by Cephalopod, 31 August 2006 - 01:13 PM.

"The most dangerous creature you will encounter in any ocean, and the only one truly worth worrying about, is yourself!" H. E. Potter, General Public Nuisance, circa 2005

#26 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 31 August 2006 - 01:28 PM

I agree, DIR and rec divers can dive together. Many of my Pa./NJ buddies are DIR although buddy teams tend to be same ocean/same day in this area and I've done some warm water dives with DIR divers.
No matter what you are doing it starts with a buddy check before the dive, know their equipment setup and what they expect.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#27 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 01:47 PM

LA, that is EXACTLY it. There is no great mystery about doing DIR dives in warm open water. Be safe, be there for each other, understand each other's gear, stay close enough so that if something happens it can get dealt with.

And HAVE FUN.

Comparing DIR for 50ft O/W diving, and DIR for 15,000ft cave penetrations is silly.

#28 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 01:50 PM

Hmmm....interesting response, PF. But I must disagree about "most divers". My experience has been just the opposite.

"Ceph"

Well, clearly our experiences have been different. Because most OW divers I've seen can't position their tank, have no idea of gas management, cannot do an air share mid-water, and have almost no situational awareness.

I encourage anyone to try this on their next OW dive with a regular buddy. At some random point, take your regulator out of your mouth and begin to give the OOA sign. Check your watch. See how long it takes your buddy to respond to your problem.

I'll be VERY interested in the response times.

#29 Cephalopod

Cephalopod

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 03:02 PM

"Ceph"

Well, clearly our experiences have been different. Because most OW divers I've seen can't position their tank, have no idea of gas management, cannot do an air share mid-water, and have almost no situational awareness.

I encourage anyone to try this on their next OW dive with a regular buddy. At some random point, take your regulator out of your mouth and begin to give the OOA sign. Check your watch. See how long it takes your buddy to respond to your problem.

I'll be VERY interested in the response times.

Well PF, I wish you safety in your dives, and peace in your life.

As for testing dive buddies on response time...why not initiate a simple buddy-check of gear, and discuss signals prior to a dive? Then tanks will get straightened, unique dive situations will be discussed, and cross check signals on remaining gas, during the dive, can be planned in advance. The best way to manage the problems you mention "most" divers having, is to education them by example.

If such safe practices are not the norm where you dive, then you should do it, even if your buddy already knows it, so that others may watch and learn. The beginners learn most from the example senior divers set.

Now, enough of this. I'm off to have fun with other members.

Regards,
Ceph :teeth:

#30 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 31 August 2006 - 05:38 PM

I agree eduaction is the best way for a diver to improve, but trying to educate a diver on the bopat ride out to a site (or even worse during an emergency at 130') is crazy. The beauty of DIR is that everyone is on the same sheet of music, has the same mind set and knows what their limits are. From my experiance there are too many divers on the cattle boats who should not be there in the first place and are pressing the limits of their ability. They may be OK, but in an emergency at depth they are a danger to themselves, their buddy and every other diver on the trip.

Set dive buddies eliminate these issues and the pre dive equipment check and dive review (SADDDDD) will take care of the rest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users