• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

To pee or not to pee, that is the question

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#1 sunlover

sunlover

Getting started

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:366

Posted 11 June 2004 - 10:15 PM

OK, where's a pseudo-medical question: Why is it that women divers "never" have to "go" in their wetsuit? And guys do. I've often wondered if this is just BS but thought I'd ask for opinions here..... Now, don't tell me there are two kinds of divers............I'm seeking honest answers, especially from the girls. Remember this is medical research, not purient interest. :thankyou:

#2 triggerfish

triggerfish

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 11 June 2004 - 10:28 PM

i think a lot of woman just get grossed out by it. the "ewwwwww" factor.

not me. when i gotta go, i go. i can't afford to hold it in too long and end up with a kidney infection. :thankyou:

#3 harleyman

harleyman

Getting started

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 11 June 2004 - 10:45 PM

On my last trip, my buddy (female), buckeled over under water. Quite a site to see........she didn't want too, but did the right thing and didn't blow the dive profile........good thing I was up current............

#4 TheSassyRabbit

TheSassyRabbit

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster/Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:>750

Posted 11 June 2004 - 11:28 PM

I was once told that there are really only two types of divers... the ones who pee in their wetsuits and the ones that lie about it. :thankyou:

It may sound gross, but I can't imagine NOT peeing in my wetsuit underwater. Especially if I have a surface interval to sit through. Nothing that a little 'sink the stink" at the end of a trip can't handle :teeth: Hey... if you gotta go, you gotta go... I did once learn through experience though that it's not a great idea to drink coffee just before diving..... who knew cramps could be THAT bad... and I thought I had experienced it all!

One of the dive magazines recently had an article this issue and it gave an explanation of why your body develops an urgency to pee while you're diving ... I'll have to see if it was one of the issues I saved....

#5 wrinkles

wrinkles

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Cert Level:OW

Posted 12 June 2004 - 04:49 AM

I can say that I DO NOT pee in my wetsuit.

I think it is really gross and I can sometimes even identify the people who do pee by their smell. EEWWWW

I just can't pee in my wetsuit. Guess I had really intense potty training becuase it just seems so wrrng to me LOL

Ana

#6 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 12 June 2004 - 06:21 AM

Yeah Wabbit,

I've heard that one for decades, but it's not true.

I know 3 people (all happen to be women) who can't force themselves to pee in their wet suits. At least one of them can't even do it in her swim suit.

I used to pee in mine, but like Ana says, the smell is bad. Sink the stink is hard to use on surface intervals. The other issue is the slimy feeling. I stopped the practice about 1987.

Last year, I head about using your suit (almost has to be a one piece to be effective) like an air lift. As you pee, or immediately after, orient yourself head down in a 45 degree angle. Stick your second stage in the neck of your suit and hit the purge button. This completely flushes your suit. No slimy feeling, no stink, but also no hiding what you did. Since then, I've resumed the practice when wearing my one piece wet suit.

Walter
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#7 Ariesno1

Ariesno1

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600

Posted 12 June 2004 - 06:57 AM

I used to hold it underwater. But on shore dives - often after I surfaced it was very difficult to find a spot where I could have privacy. So yes, now I am one of the female divers using the ocean.

#8 sapphire

sapphire

• PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 07:11 AM

I'm with Ana! I do not pee in my wetsuit... blame it on intensive potty training or whatever, but I cannot even pee in the ocean if I TRY :diver: !! This sometimes makes for some uncomfortable boat trips so I try to watch my fluid intake :) on boats with no heads.

jennifer

#9 WisconsinGal

WisconsinGal

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Logged Dives:70+ and counting

Posted 12 June 2004 - 07:25 AM

I was at my LDS last night and we were talking about this very same topic, but, it was in general. Peeing/not peeing, why we feel like we we always gotta go when at depth. Most of the time I hold it but there are those times where I just can't and not ready to abort my dive and don't want to experience a kidney infection as TF has mentioned.

I was sent this link, found it to be an interesting article.

To Pee or Not to Pee

WG

#10 Diverlady

Diverlady

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW w/ specialties & drysuit user
  • Logged Dives:175 - as of Sep 18, 2004

Posted 12 June 2004 - 11:32 AM

I'm in the NOT group!!

I use a seal suit so if I did, I definitely would have trouble flushing it through!! I also am a drysuit diver and I would HATE to get into the habit of peeing in my wetsuit and then forget one day that I'm in my DRYsuit!!

I don't find too often that I have to go when I'm at depth but when I surface, look out! Do I ever have to go! In Coz with SD, I had to have help from Todd getting my suit off I had to go so badly and then I jumped back into the water to go! That was probably the worst I've ever had to go but I just couldn't bring myself to go in my suit. I hadn't even heard about peeing in a wetsuit 'til I joined a diving messageboard.

Diverlady
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!! It comes bundled with the software.

What do you mean "it doesn't come in PINK"?!?!

#11 Lubold8431

Lubold8431

• PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor. Do most of my diving in NE. I love wreck diving.
  • Logged Dives:Over 1500...

Posted 12 June 2004 - 02:25 PM

I hydrate very well every day, and before diving. Yes, when I wear a wetsuit, if I gotta go, I go. In my drysuit, I have a p-valve. I have been thinking about putting a p-valve in my wetsuit as well. I dont think too much about it. Like I said, I drink alot of water, and my urine is clear. Not smelly.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.
--Vince Lombardi

#12 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 12 June 2004 - 03:05 PM

There are only two types of divers... those who pee in their wetsuits, and those who lie about it.

Dr. Bill

#13 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 12 June 2004 - 03:07 PM

I drink lots of water and always hit the head before I put on my wetsuit that being said if I got to pee or end a dive I'll pee.

#14 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 12 June 2004 - 05:26 PM

The other issue is the slimy feeling.

slimy???

walter, what the hell are you ingesting that gives you SLIMY PEE???

in all my years as a nurse...and we're talkin' 25 yrs here.....i've NEVER seen

:cool1: SLIMY PEE!!!!!! :hiya:

#15 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 12 June 2004 - 05:46 PM

How should I know what it is? It's dark here in the dungeon.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users