• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Boat Dives for Beginners

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#16 jextract

jextract

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 03 October 2006 - 04:06 PM

See Henry, that's what I like about you: you're a giver. There are are, concerned about your fellow diver and wanting to make sure that he was not going to suffer from hypothermia, and what kind of thanks do you get?
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#17 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 04:29 PM

May I suggest a mesh bag for this as room for a bag will be limited for sure. :P

This leads me to my next question -- dive bags!

Other than my wetsuit, mask, booties, beanie, and dive tables, everything will be a rental for this trip. As I'm not exactly sure what I'll be buying in the future and how much space it will take up, I don't want to invest too much in a dive bag at this point.

I've looked at ScubaToys' website to get an idea of what's out there, but I'd appreciate some *real life* input here. Are there any less expensive alternatives to what's offered by dive shops? Something that will last me for a trip or two until I decide what I *really* need and want?

#18 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 03 October 2006 - 04:52 PM

I have a ScubaToys mesh bag that cost $20 USD...I use it everywhere I go! I can fit my fins, mask, regs, booties, wetsuit, etc in it without an issue...the only thing I don't put in there is my BC...I sling that over my shoulder...and I don't put weights in it either

#19 sandiegocarol

sandiegocarol

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:>100

Posted 03 October 2006 - 05:07 PM

When in rough water and heading for the ladder, stay under water and approach the ladder cautiously. If you watch the way it is swinging you can save yourself a lot of effort and possible damage to you or your equipment by letting it come to you.

#20 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 03 October 2006 - 06:07 PM

To add to the list....

Arrive early as where the boat is,the gear drop-off point and where you park can be spread out.By getting there early ahead of the mad rush you can ask where is the best spot,and tips on stowing your kit,setting up and checking your gear.Find out if the boat has dry areas and wet areas along with any off limit areas on the boat.Also knowing how the head works(marine heads aren't always as simple as land based units),where first aid,O2,fire extinguishers and life jackets is a plus.I find sliced pineapple great after a dive especially when diving in the tropics.Pay close attention to entry/exit protocal as this will vary from boat to boat.If there is a person who seems to be a regular watch them for cues and also a scorce of info.Don't be afraid to ask questions,land based common sense doesn't always work on boats.

#21 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 03 October 2006 - 06:07 PM

Label all of your equipment. There might be a lot of other people with the same mask, fins or other gear on the boat, and things tend to wind up all over the place when everyone is getting out of the water.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#22 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 06:18 PM

When in rough water and heading for the ladder, stay under water and approach the ladder cautiously. If you watch the way it is swinging you can save yourself a lot of effort and possible damage to you or your equipment by letting it come to you.

I don't know that I would do this. First and foremost, I would follow the directions of the crew. Also, if you are under water, the boat might not see you, and it might engage the propellors if not at anchor. It all depends on the circumstances. Last, you might come up right under the ladder just when someone else is not clear of the ladder on the way out of the water, and that person could fall back on you just as you are breaking the surface. Ouch! :P

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#23 tonyinasia

tonyinasia

Getting started

• Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:212

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:14 PM

Annasea, there is a lot of good advice so far. One other thing to consider is shoes - or lack thereof. You may have to remove your shoes as soon as you get on the boat. One type of shoe that works well are those 'wet shoes' that look like a slipper. They are easy to get on and off, and they have some grip on a wet deck (if you are allowed to wear shoes on deck). Sandals are OK too. I try to avoid anything with laces.

I never have experienced any problems with theft, however, keep valuables to a minimum. Usually it's a drivers license, medical insurance card, and some cash folded tightly into a ziploc bag, and stowed into a zippered pocket in my mesh bag.

A good mesh bag is sufficient to hold your gear. Plus, a bag that's too big is cumbersome on a boat as correctly pointed out in other posts. There are several good mesh bags on the market. I start packing the bag with my BC laying flat, face up. I open the BC and place the regulators inside the lower half. I wrap my mask inside my wetsuit, and stow these in the BC between the arm holes. While folding the sides of the BC together, I slip the mesh bag over the package. As soon as the mesh bag is over the BC, I insert my fins down in front of the BC. Booties go in last, and I cinch the bag while everything is lying down. This makes a nice, tight package inside the bag, plus your reg's and mask are protected. I carry my dive log, computer and assorted small waterproof bandages (the ones with Nemo printed on them are particularly attractive) in a very small waterproof bag.

Reading the paragraph above does sound a bit anal, but, packing a dive bag in a methodical, systematic manner usually prevents you from forgetting something.

Walter correctly pointed out that you need to remove the tank bungee before attaching your reg's. If you goof, this is usually grounds to buy your dive buddy a beer...........

Have fun on the boat.

#24 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 11:36 PM

Thx for the advice, everyone! Feel free to keep it coming! :P

Tony, no worries at all about seeming anal. (I'm a jeweller and a perfectionist; details are my specialty. :angel2:) I especially appreciate posts such as yours that come with explanations. :blink: Saves me the trouble of having to ask more questions!

#25 Charlie O

Charlie O

Getting started

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:over 100

Posted 04 October 2006 - 06:38 AM

How big is the boat and how many divers. A 28’ boat with 6 divers will be more comfortable than a 46’ boat that has 20 divers. Don’t get stuck on a “Cattle Boat”

Assuming it is a multiple dive trip ask about the repetitive dives.
There was a charter boat in Hilton Head that took divers to an artificial reef that consisted of a Liberty ship the Betsey Ross. The deck of the Ross was at 70 feet and the stern bottomed out at 106. For our second dive we were instructed to go no deeper than the deck because our surface interval was not long enough to go deeper. I told the Capt. That had I known the second dive was restricted to the deck I would not have booked the trip.
The Capt replied that he had another charter to run.

If you ever do a drift dive in West Palm - Fort Lauderdale do not get stuck holding the float line. It can be a big pain in the ass.

#26 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 08:27 AM

If you ever do a drift dive in West Palm - Fort Lauderdale do not get stuck holding the float line. It can be a big pain in the ass.

Shhhh. Don't let that one out so that we can make sure that we don't get stuck with it.

I ended up with the line twice in the last few weeks: once at the end of the dive (since all the bubble makers were running out of gas, and they had to ascend--I got some me-time once they were out of the way); another time where my buddy took the line for the first dive, and I took it for the second. :blink:

#27 sandiegocarol

sandiegocarol

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:>100

Posted 04 October 2006 - 09:01 AM

I don't know that I would do this. First and foremost, I would follow the directions of the crew. Also, if you are under water, the boat might not see you, and it might engage the propellors if not at anchor. It all depends on the circumstances. Last, you might come up right under the ladder just when someone else is not clear of the ladder on the way out of the water, and that person could fall back on you just as you are breaking the surface. Ouch! :blink:

THe boat will never engage it's propellars when divers are approaching. THey know where you are under water by your bubbles. If not then you have picked the wrong boat. You will not come up under the ladder or on top of someone else if you are approaching it cautiously. The rough seas will seem calm from under water, you will be able to see the ladder clearly and when it is your turn you will approach it slowly making sure the person in front of you is off the ladder. Taking fins off if necessary is also easier by looking underwater instead of by feel with your head above water. All of this was learned in some really rough water and I hate to see people stress out when they don't have to

#28 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 04 October 2006 - 09:15 AM

Well, I guess that explains this:
http://www.singlediv...a...st&p=156021
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#29 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:09 AM

If the boat is anchored/moored, it's OK to approach it underwater. If not, don't even consider it.

Shoes - wear your dive boots.

There is no float line on a drift dive, you're thinking of a float dive. I'll take the float, the guy with the float is never lost. Get some experience on float dives before taking the float. Keep the guy with the float in sight.

Shop department/sports stores for gear bags. They won't have dive logos, but they'll be the same thing and will save you $. There's a special place in Hell for people who put their weights in their gear bag.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#30 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:33 AM

There's a special place in Hell for people who put their weights in their gear bag.

:blink:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users