• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Boat Dives for Beginners

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#31 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:41 AM

If you ever do a drift dive in West Palm - Fort Lauderdale do not get stuck holding the float line. It can be a big pain in the ass.

Shhhh. Don't let that one out so that we can make sure that we don't get stuck with it.

I ended up with the line twice in the last few weeks: once at the end of the dive (since all the bubble makers were running out of gas, and they had to ascend--I got some me-time once they were out of the way); another time where my buddy took the line for the first dive, and I took it for the second. :blink:

Can someone elaborate on this please? (Especially since I might be doing some dives in the Ft Lauderdale area. :angel2:)

#32 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:42 AM

I recently bought a mesh bag at my LDS and they were not expensive - around the $25 range. Walter's tip is a very good one though - you maybe able to find one for less elsewhere. In my limited experience, I have found the mesh bag to be one of the most useful inexpensive investments to make your boat diving trip easier and more enjoyable.

#33 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:47 AM

When in rough water and heading for the ladder, stay under water and approach the ladder cautiously. If you watch the way it is swinging you can save yourself a lot of effort and possible damage to you or your equipment by letting it come to you.

I don't know that I would do this. First and foremost, I would follow the directions of the crew. Also, if you are under water, the boat might not see you, and it might engage the propellors if not at anchor. It all depends on the circumstances. Last, you might come up right under the ladder just when someone else is not clear of the ladder on the way out of the water, and that person could fall back on you just as you are breaking the surface. Ouch! :angel2:

THe boat will never engage it's propellars when divers are approaching. They know where you are under water by your bubbles. If not then you have picked the wrong boat. You will not come up under the ladder or on top of someone else if you are approaching it cautiously. The rough seas will seem calm from under water, you will be able to see the ladder clearly and when it is your turn you will approach it slowly making sure the person in front of you is off the ladder. Taking fins off if necessary is also easier by looking underwater instead of by feel with your head above water. All of this was learned in some really rough water and I hate to see people stress out when they don't have to

I respectfully disagree. On rougher days, or due to glare and the like, a boat will not see bubbles. There's a lot for the captain to watch, and you don't want to count on this.

Boats can be constructed in a way where the captain can't see well enough directly behind the boat. This might not allow the captain to see you unless you approach from far enough.

Current can blow bubbles far enough away that they won't surface right over you, and even if the boat could see the bubbles, they might not reflect where you are. Last, not all of us even make bubbles. :P

It is not you coming up on top of someone else that I am talking about. It is he or she falling in on top of you. That's my concern here. You can't see above the water and over the platform to know that someone is there or not unless you surface before coming to the ladder. If you arrive by coming straight up at the ladder, you won't see anyone on the platform, and someone might fall on top of you.

I agree with taking fins off in the water. I just hold the ladder with one hand, do a figure-four with my leg, taking off the fin and then holding it while I do the same thing on the other side. However, this is done after approaching and getting hold of the ladder. I don't start climbing up until after fin removal.

There have been plenty of incidents where people have fallen on top of people that are attempting to move to the ladder while the person ahead is not clear of the platform even where the diver approaches the ladder on the surface. (Please wait until the diver ahead is complete aboard before moving in.) So, approaching from below without being able to check what is going on with the person that might just be exiting ahead of you would seem risky to me.

Again, that's just my feeling. You are entitled to disagree. :blink:
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#34 sandiegocarol

sandiegocarol

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:>100

Posted 04 October 2006 - 12:33 PM

When in rough water and heading for the ladder, stay under water and approach the ladder cautiously. If you watch the way it is swinging you can save yourself a lot of effort and possible damage to you or your equipment by letting it come to you.

I don't know that I would do this. First and foremost, I would follow the directions of the crew. Also, if you are under water, the boat might not see you, and it might engage the propellors if not at anchor. It all depends on the circumstances. Last, you might come up right under the ladder just when someone else is not clear of the ladder on the way out of the water, and that person could fall back on you just as you are breaking the surface. Ouch! :clapping:

THe boat will never engage it's propellars when divers are approaching. They know where you are under water by your bubbles. If not then you have picked the wrong boat. You will not come up under the ladder or on top of someone else if you are approaching it cautiously. The rough seas will seem calm from under water, you will be able to see the ladder clearly and when it is your turn you will approach it slowly making sure the person in front of you is off the ladder. Taking fins off if necessary is also easier by looking underwater instead of by feel with your head above water. All of this was learned in some really rough water and I hate to see people stress out when they don't have to

I respectfully disagree. On rougher days, or due to glare and the like, a boat will not see bubbles. There's a lot for the captain to watch, and you don't want to count on this.

Boats can be constructed in a way where the captain can't see well enough directly behind the boat. This might not allow the captain to see you unless you approach from far enough.

Current can blow bubbles far enough away that they won't surface right over you, and even if the boat could see the bubbles, they might not reflect where you are. Last, not all of us even make bubbles. :clapping:

It is not you coming up on top of someone else that I am talking about. It is he or she falling in on top of you. That's my concern here. You can't see above the water and over the platform to know that someone is there or not unless you surface before coming to the ladder. If you arrive by coming straight up at the ladder, you won't see anyone on the platform, and someone might fall on top of you.

I agree with taking fins off in the water. I just hold the ladder with one hand, do a figure-four with my leg, taking off the fin and then holding it while I do the same thing on the other side. However, this is done after approaching and getting hold of the ladder. I don't start climbing up until after fin removal.

There have been plenty of incidents where people have fallen on top of people that are attempting to move to the ladder while the person ahead is not clear of the platform even where the diver approaches the ladder on the surface. (Please wait until the diver ahead is complete aboard before moving in.) So, approaching from below without being able to check what is going on with the person that might just be exiting ahead of you would seem risky to me.
Again, that's just my feeling. You are entitled to disagree. :clapping:

I don't think you are getting my point. Let's limit the scenario to a group of divers who are surfacing as a group to a boat which is not moving because the crew realizes the group it is about to pick up is there. Let's also limit it to the points that I was originally trying to make before they got skewed into a worst case scenario like a boat captain who is willing to chew up his divers. When approaching the ladder I am recommending that you do not chase it if it is swinging. Letting it swing toward you will make your ascent of the ladder much more comfortable. I really wish you hadn't changed my point into something out of a bad diving movie :D

#35 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 04 October 2006 - 01:17 PM

You can't see above the water and over the platform to know that someone is there or not unless you surface before coming to the ladder.

I can.

Can someone elaborate on this please?

Sure. When making a float dive, each group has a float with a line. The boat follows the float (usually a dive flag, but that wasn't always the case) to pick you up when you surface. Often the surface current is stronger than the current at depth. When this is the case, the diver with the flag works harder than anyone else. Often the flag carrier has to fight the current to stay with the inconsiderate SOBs who refuse to keep up. That makes some less than eager to carry the float. I'm happy to carry the float, the diver with the float is never lost. You don't keep up - you're lost, I'm fine, why should I bust my butt to keep those inconsiderate SOBs from getting lost. I volunteer to carry the flag.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#36 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 04 October 2006 - 05:10 PM

Depending on how big the boat is, you may need to do a back roll off the edge of the boat, or if it's a bigger boat, you may need to walk to the back of the boat where you will do a giant stride. Don't try to walk forward in your fins, not only is it very difficult, but you may trip and fall. Stand sideways, and side step to the edge of the boat. You have much better control that way, and won't trip over your fins.

#37 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 05:22 PM

Better yet, walk to the entry point, then don your fins. Remember - walking with fins causes flat places where your face used to be.

DSSW,

WWW™

#38 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 04 October 2006 - 05:24 PM

Better yet, walk to the entry point, then don your fins. Remember - walking with fins causes flat places where your face used to be.

:lmao: Very Good point, Yoda!

#39 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 04 October 2006 - 06:12 PM

I'm not sure if this has been said but when you get back on board head back to your original spot and stow your gear. Don't just drop it off at the first empty space available. It adds to confusion and will really piss off the last diver to get back on board as they have to search for a spot to put their gear.

Also bring plenty of water and fresh oranges too.

And make sure to set up your gear before you leave the dock...once on the water there is no going back for a fin, mask or O-ring. It's a good idea to bring a squared away save-a-dive kit too.

#40 madlobster

madlobster

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue diver
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 04 October 2006 - 06:20 PM

I recently bought a mesh bag at my LDS and they were not expensive - around the $25 range. Walter's tip is a very good one though - you maybe able to find one for less elsewhere. In my limited experience, I have found the mesh bag to be one of the most useful inexpensive investments to make your boat diving trip easier and more enjoyable.

I am sure Scuba Toys or Leisure Pro would have an inexpensive mesh bag. I bought one and it holds all my gear and is great on a boat, they'll hold what you have now and more later. However, as you progress with your gear this is not the bag for travel in and out of airports (IMHO), you'll want something a bit bigger and able to wheel through airport lines.
"The thing about dreams is sometimes you get to live'em out"- Payne Stewart

#41 ereediver

ereediver

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Cert Level:Open water, AOW
  • Logged Dives:17

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:17 PM

The boats I was on had you attach your regs and BC to one tank then store it in the tank holder, so have that gear accessible at the dock. Then they stored the other tanks. As for taking off you fins, make sure the buckles are secure to the fins lost one that way. Both boat crews had experience with were very helpful. Dramamine worth it's weight in gold. Do eat breakfast. Have a signal, whistle and tube, Just in case you come up away from the boat. And if you don't bring it you won't have it,issue. So pick your essentials carefully, I had two lights hand held. mask, fins, snorkles extra mask, towel, log book, save a dive kit , wetsuit, dive knife, boots, hood and gloves, and had no problem.

#42 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 01:18 AM

<snip>

Also bring plenty of water and fresh oranges too.

<snip>

***Silly Question Alert***

Is there a reason why oranges were specified? :usflag: (I haven't come across this before.)

#43 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:50 AM

Because reds are illegal?

DSSW,

WWW™

#44 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 05 October 2006 - 08:18 AM

Just don't bring bananas on the boat. That is bad luck. :usflag:
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#45 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 10:54 AM

Only a small miniority of captains believe that silliness, but those who do, will enforce their lack of intelligence.

DSSW,

WWW™

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users