• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Boat Dives for Beginners

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#46 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 05 October 2006 - 10:59 AM

My understanding is that it has its roots in the belief that rotting bananas in the hold would cause rot in the wood on old sailing ships. I have no idea of the true origins in the myth. However, it does make for some handy excuses when the Dive Gods act up on occasion. :teeth:
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#47 matts1w

matts1w

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 05 October 2006 - 11:30 AM

Many, many sailors take the banana seriously- more out of tradition than anything else.

This comes from WAY back in the day- like the 1500-1600s.

Bananas are evil 1- the rot fast and emit a gas rots the other fruit sowed nearby.

Bananas are evil 2- Critters such as rats, spiders, and snakes hide in the bunches and easily missed before loaded on a ship. Suddenly the ship's hold has a critter problem.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, and totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW! -- What a Ride!"

#48 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 12:13 PM

No worries about bananas... they bruise too easily for me to even consider lugging them around with a bunch of dive gear! Still wondering about those oranges though... :teeth:

#49 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:49 PM

No reason...I just like fresh oranges after a dive. They a re nice and refreshing.

<snip>

Also bring plenty of water and fresh oranges too.

<snip>

***Silly Question Alert***

Is there a reason why oranges were specified? :unsure: (I haven't come across this before.)

#50 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:36 PM

<snip>

<snip>

Is there a reason why oranges were specified? :unsure: (I haven't come across this before.)

No reason...I just like fresh oranges after a dive. They a re nice and refreshing.

LOL! Thx for the clarification, VA Diver. I'll sleep tonight... :P

#51 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:56 AM

<snip>

<snip>

LOL! Thx for the clarification, VA Diver. I'll sleep tonight... :P

I find pineapple slices the way to go...

#52 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 06 October 2006 - 10:24 AM

Nothing beats watermellon.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#53 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 06 October 2006 - 03:08 PM

Actually, you can if you have a sturdy stick handy.

And by the way, bananas are a useful way to ripen avocados that are too firm when you buy them.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#54 JimG

JimG

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor Trainer
  • Logged Dives:Not enough!

Posted 07 October 2006 - 06:33 AM

There have been some great suggestions on this topic, but still a few points that I have not seen.

As you are exiting the water, make sure and keep all gear in place until you are well on the boat. In particular, keep your mask on your face and your reg in your mouth. On rough days, it's possible to get knocked off the ladder back into the water, and you want to make sure you can see and breathe if that happens (FYI, it has actually happened to me, so it is not just a theoretical possibility).

I've noticed that a lot of the S Florida dive boats want divers to remove their fins while still in the water, and pass them up to the DM. I prefer to keep my fins with me, and have occasionally had DMs get testy with me when I did not "follow directions". I have seen DMs miss the handoff and drop fins in the water, so I'm not real crazy about that idea. I do not relinquish any piece of my equipment until I am safely back on the boat ("when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers", etc).

I approach the ladder from underneath, grab the bottom rung with a stiff arm, and use the "figure 4" technique to remove the fins, as described by a previous poster. I hang my fin straps over my wrists and climb the ladder. That way I have all my equipment with me in the event that I get thrown back into the water by an errant swell. It's a little tricky removing the fins while hanging onto the ladder, but it's do-able with practice. I have climbed out in 5-6 foot seas using this technique. Note that this won't work if you have full-foot fins - in that case, you will need to take them off and pass them up before exiting.

One of the other keys on a ladder exit is not to let go of the ladder, because you will not be able to manuever that well with no fins on. If that happens, then surface and grab the tag line to pull yourself back to the boat.

Note that some boats have "Christmas tree" ladders, which may be climbed without removing the fins. Also, some of the larger California boats that I have been on have a ladder that you must climb to get from the swim platform to the deck. In this case, they ask you to kneel down on the swim platform (out of the water) while the DM removes your fins and hands them to you.

That's all I can think of - if anything is unclear, then do not hesitate to ask for more info.
Will DIR for food!

#55 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:16 AM

In particular, keep your mask on your face and your reg in your mouth.

True, but something that should be covered in all OW classes and not really a "tip."

I approach the ladder from underneath, grab the bottom rung with a stiff arm, and use the "figure 4" technique to remove the fins, as described by a previous poster.

The underwater approach isn't always a good idea, only approach underwater if the boat is anchored or moored, but this is the safest fin removal technique.

I hang my fin straps over my wrists and climb the ladder. That way I have all my equipment with me in the event that I get thrown back into the water by an errant swell.

I don't understand people willingly passing up their fins.

I prefer to keep my fins with me, and have occasionally had DMs get testy with me when I did not "follow directions".

My experience is they are happy with either technique.

Note that some boats have "Christmas tree" ladders, which may be climbed without removing the fins.

I still remove mine at the bottom of the ladder. It's safer to remove them there than on the deck od a rocking and rolling boat.

In this case, they ask you to kneel down on the swim platform (out of the water) while the DM removes your fins and hands them to you.

That's just dangerous.

DSSW,

WWW™

#56 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:33 AM

I don't understand the kneeling comment either. With the appropriate ladder I keep mine on until on the swim step and the DM usually pops them off but I don't kneel, he does.

Without the appropriate ladder I take them off in the water and have no problem handing them up.

Edited by gcbryan, 07 October 2006 - 05:20 PM.

#57 JimG

JimG

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:52 AM

I don't understand the kneeling comment either. With the appropriate ladder I keep mine on until on the swim step and the DM usually pops them off but I don't kneel, he does.

The boat that I was on where they did this, the swim platform was very large and about two feet underwater, and there was no submerged ladder. The instructions were to swim onto the platform, grab the rails of the ladder leading up to the deck, and then kneel. The DM removed each fin and handed it to you, and then you could stand and climb the ladder.

It seemed a little weird to me, based on what I was used to from boat diving in the Southeast, but it seemed to go all right. One diver in our group got thrown off the platform by a swell, but recovered quickly before drifting too far away. Nothing about it struck me as being particularly dangerous, just "different".
Will DIR for food!

#58 JimG

JimG

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 09:31 AM

In particular, keep your mask on your face and your reg in your mouth.

True, but something that should be covered in all OW classes and not really a "tip."

The key phrase is "should be covered". Not all OW classes (or instructors) necessarily do what they "should". Furthermore, if a student never does a boat dive for their certification (and never gets to practice and get reinforcement on ladder exits), then they may forget little details like that. I know I see plenty of divers who surface at the back of the boat, drop their reg to chat with the DM while passing up their fins, and then proceed to climb the ladder without replacing the reg. Then they get to the top of the ladder and proceed to remove their mask!

The underwater approach isn't always a good idea, only approach underwater if the boat is anchored or moored, but this is the safest fin removal technique.

For drift dives, you should always surface at the float and wait for instructions from the crew before approaching the boat. Some boats will toss out a tag line, while others will ask divers to surface swim to the boat, after the prop is disengaged. I agree that underwater removal of fins is the safest technique, and still drop below right at the ladder to do that, even on a drift dive. But I always keep an eye on that prop!

I prefer to keep my fins with me, and have occasionally had DMs get testy with me when I did not "follow directions".

My experience is they are happy with either technique.

I've occasionally had comments from DMs who were not used to people using that technique. Usually once they see that you can do it properly, they leave you alone. On one dive trip though, I spent a few days diving in the Middle Keys, and had a DM who fussed at me on every dive for not passing my fins up. That got kind of annoying after a while, but I couldn't really fault him - he was just following protocol.

Note that some boats have "Christmas tree" ladders, which may be climbed without removing the fins.

I still remove mine at the bottom of the ladder. It's safer to remove them there than on the deck of a rocking and rolling boat.

For the one boat that I frequent that uses this type of ladder, that would not be practical. The ladder is smooth metal, and your hands would slip off too easily, even in light seas. The boat is small enough that they usually just have the divers "shuffle" back to their seats with their fins on (and some assistance from the DM, of course).

I guess what we are proving is the correctness of your previous statement - every boat is different, and it's probably best to just wait and see how they want you to do things.
Will DIR for food!

#59 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 09:44 AM

The boat that I was on where they did this, the swim platform was very large and about two feet underwater, and there was no submerged ladder. The instructions were to swim onto the platform, grab the rails of the ladder leading up to the deck, and then kneel. The DM removed each fin and handed it to you, and then you could stand and climb the ladder.

It seemed a little weird to me, based on what I was used to from boat diving in the Southeast, but it seemed to go all right. One diver in our group got thrown off the platform by a swell, but recovered quickly before drifting too far away. Nothing about it struck me as being particularly dangerous, just "different".

No ladder is another story. If the boat doesn't have a ladder, you need your fins to exit the water. I won't kneel, I'll sit and remove my own fins.

DSSW,

WWW™

#60 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 10:00 AM

The key phrase is "should be covered". Not all OW classes (or instructors) necessarily do what they "should".

Actually most don't, but you can't teach an OW course on a bulletin board.

I see plenty of divers who surface at the back of the boat, drop their reg to chat with the DM while passing up their fins, and then proceed to climb the ladder without replacing the reg. Then they get to the top of the ladder and proceed to remove their mask!

Well, I freak out some DMs because I remove my fins at the bottom of the ladder as you described. I then usually also remove my mask and stick it in a fin pocket. I then clean my face. When I surface, I don't have a mask visible. It's rare that a DM even comments on it, but sometimes their eyes open a little wider.

For the one boat that I frequent that uses this type of ladder, that would not be practical. The ladder is smooth metal, and your hands would slip off too easily, even in light seas.

If the metal is that slick, don't your feet slip off when you're trying to climb it?

The boat is small enough that they usually just have the divers "shuffle" back to their seats with their fins on (and some assistance from the DM, of course).

Thanks, but I'll pass.

DSSW,

WWW™

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users