• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

FULL! July 16-18 2007 Texas Flower Gardens & Stetson Banks!

• Please log in to reply
626 replies to this topic

#586 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:06 AM

If anyone needs to unload anything feel free to stow it in my car also.
Once i unload my tanks and such you can leave extra stuff there.

Great! I will need to leave my suitcase in someones car as well. Thanks, Karen.

You will be riding with me, so you can leave anything you don't want to take on the boat in my car.

Actually with all the cars that will be there from the Texas people, there will be plenty of places to store things that the fly in divers don't want to take onto the boat.

#587 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:23 AM

A word about Seasickness
Karen already mentioned this, but I'm going to say it again:

Start taking your seasickness meds NOW. Do not wait until tomorrow. Even if you "never" get sick. This might be the time you do. Once you get sick, it's hard to get "unsick", and it could spoil your entire trip. Take one this morning, take one before bed, when you get up tomorrow and a couple of hours before you board the boat. It might seem like overkill, but you'll be glad you did.

#588 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,629 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:35 AM

A word about Seasickness

Start taking your seasickness meds NOW. Do not wait until tomorrow. Even if you "never" get sick. This might be the time you do. Once you get sick, it's hard to get "unsick", and it could spoil your entire trip. Take one this morning, take one before bed, when you get up tomorrow and a couple of hours before you board the boat. It might seem like overkill, but you'll be glad you did.

Sandy is right...getting meds in your system early has NO negative affects but helps many. I will have a big supply of meds for any needing them but starting now is a great idea! :D

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#589 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

I spend too much time on line

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:56 AM

FYI - I stopped at Frye's and they were having a AA sale - 100 for $20. My camera and strobe burn through them, but I will have PLENTY for anyone else.

Down to a wakeup - this will be awesome. Great to finally dive for the first time with many of you. Equally great to dive again with all the "usual suspects..."

See y'all at the pier.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#590 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Cert Level:National Geographic OW, AOW, Nitrox (IANTD)
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:59 AM

This is my first "Out-to-Sea" overnight trip since my Navy days.

I realize we need to pack light, and I realize it is mostly a shorts or bathing suit and t-shirt environment when we are top side.

But, I am curious what little extras have you guys learned to pack. What are some must have's that I shouldn't overlook (besides toiletries).

Squid
Signature under construction :)

#591 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:28 AM

I'm sure others will chime in with great "save-a-dive" suggestions - but I wanted to mention the FG boats have always welcomed fresh DVDs to while away the surface intervals. I'm bringing:
Five Easy Pieces
Bullitt
Santana's Supernatural tour video
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Three Days of the Condor

Since you were in the Navy, you never had to worry about these two, but you will need $ for beer and $$ for tips on this boat. The crew is great and you should recognize good service appropriately.

If you have favorite meds for those nasty travel ailments, bring them - although I'm sure in the group there will be plenty of recommendations if you get stricken. Even if you were on a Navy "small boy", these are quite small in comparison, so be prepared for the ride.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#592 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:47 AM

I realize we need to pack light, and I realize it is mostly a shorts or bathing suit and t-shirt environment when we are top side.

But, I am curious what little extras have you guys learned to pack. What are some must have's that I shouldn't overlook (besides toiletries).

Squid

You will need to bring a towel with you; the rest of your linens are provided by the Spree

the boat will provide you with a plastic cup for water and lemonade and they will encourage you to drink as much of those 2 as possible

bring sunscreen! and a cap plus sunglasses

and prepare to have a blast!!

#593 Kelp Diver

Kelp Diver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:52

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:48 AM

A word about Seasickness

I'm on my way to Walgreens! I've never been seasick before, but have never spent this much time out on such a small boat in unprotected waters. I don't think my 4.5 years on an aircraft carrier will have prepared me for this. Thanks!

#594 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:22 AM

A word about Seasickness

I'm on my way to Walgreens! I've never been seasick before, but have never spent this much time out on such a small boat in unprotected waters. I don't think my 4.5 years on an aircraft carrier will have prepared me for this. Thanks!

The boat is 100ft. I guess size is relative. You definitely feel the motion of the ocean! I actually find it comforting, especially when sleeping, it kind of rocks you sleep. :D

#595 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:32 AM

Squid

Correct, you need to pack light, mostly shorts or bathing suit. However, the salon area is kept very cool. This helps to prevent seasickness, as well as for our comfort. So I would recommend a sweatshirt and sweatpants as well. It can also get a little cool in the evening on the upper deck, which is where the picnic tables and lounge chairs are.

Other than that, there is nothing unusual that you should bring. Bring a book, movie or magazine to occupy time between dives. They have a very large selection of books to read, and a fairly good selection of movies.

They are feeding us constantly, so don't bring any food or snacks. I gain 5 pounds every time I go on this trip! The cooks are great, the crew is great.

Seasickness meds.

#596 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,629 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:39 AM

Important Trip Update:

Arrival at the Dock:

1. Plan to arrive at the boat from either wherever you are driving from or from the restaurant On The River around 7:45pm. You will then drop your luggage in the grassy area right in front of the dock and then go and park your cars in the parking areas (these are well marked) and then meet back at your luggage. If you are at the restaurant we'll be leaving there at 7:30pm. If you are meeting us at the dock meet us there at 7:45pm.

2. The first boat briefing will be at 8pm ON THE DOCK (bring mosquito spray...we'll have some already) where the boat will advise us not to bring alcohol on board, how rooming will be done etc.

3. At about 8:30 you will be able to board and go to your assigned sleeping area. (Again we are doing them by gender and rooming characteristics.)

4. Then you will put your gear in the gear area and your stuff in the bunk araa and we'll do the final orientation of the boat. Then its crash until the next day!

Rooming:

1. Karen mentioned that the boat is communal sleeping quarters meaning 4-8 people in an area that has bunks and a curtain for a door. One area is an open non-claustropobic area but it also has little privacy. We'll have shared showers on the boat and shared sleeping quarters. But the boat has been totally redesigned and used to sleep 32 but now it sleeps 24. The boat usually allows first come first served choice of bunks but we'll be grouping divers according to gender and sleeping characteristics...hopefully you provided them to us in the survey!

2. ScubaPunk and I will have these worked out today. IF YOU WANT TO BE IN THE OPEN BUNK AREAS let us know. We'll announce the rooming on the boat.

3. We ALL plan to meet at the restaurant across from the boat...the On The River. We'll leave there at 7:30pm.

Edited by WreckWench, 14 July 2007 - 01:12 PM.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#597 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:55 AM

Gosh, the way y'all are going on about motion illness, I hope no one gets it just because of all the suggestions. I think I've seen it happen more on larger vessels and subtle, sneaky feelings - less likely on one of this size.

It does happen to some, tho - I've seen it many times. Good to prepare but don't expect it to happen. Good idea to start the prophylactics today, as well as start working on extra hydration today, extra salt on food, etc. I always found the best advice for anyone starting to feel ill was to sit midship, outside and watch the horizon for the best sense of stability. For me, I just go to sleep - but closing your eyes can take your mind off of the unfamiliar movements that confuse your subconscious.

I have hard sided bags for other plane trips, but for liveaboards - I use all softsides. One of mine cost $10 at Wal-mart 7 years ago and still going well after several trips, altho you many notice some farm boy reinforcements I've added.

Got a couples of questions here:
> I like warm liquids a lot - coffee, then decaf and hot chocolate. They generally have those on hand ok? Too late to put chocolate on a special requests, so should I bring some and turn it on on arrival per the no food rule?
> I hate styrofoam cups. Some boats I've known assign numbered, ceramic cups, one suggested bringing your own boat cup. How about on this one?

thanks!
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#598 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue

Posted 14 July 2007 - 10:38 AM

Dear Rosa
I have you covered on the 8 c batteries No Prob :diver:
I just put them in my bag with your name on it! I did this trip back in 2005 and batteries where a big issue then and I suppose now as well sense the nearest store is Ummmm 100 miles away. there is a fine line between having enough spare stuff and overkill.

See you :twist: tomorrow evening :birthday: .

Bubski

Mike, thanks a million. :D Yeah, LOL. I know about overkill!!! Thought about asking for 12 which would be the true back up.. but figured the likelihood of both lights failing is low! See you tomorrow.

Rosa

#599 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue

Posted 14 July 2007 - 11:08 AM

Another question. Thanks for the updates.

What will those of us coming in a bit earlier in the afternoon do with our luggage between arrival and when we meet for HH? This is mainly an issue for those of us with the kind/ gracious drivers who are not going on the trip? Can we dump the luggage somewhere and then sight see or hang out?

Goodness Sandy, you are scaring me!!! 5lbs!! I am really in trouble then. Also the sea sickness thing. Used to be in the Navy too, and still sail. Generally don't get seasick. But I guess my 4 tabs of Bonine that I threw in may not be enough. Better stock up today. Definitely better safe than sorry.

I guess the no food means I can't bring chocolate for the girls...oops, can't be selfish or sexist... I mean chocoholics?????? Darn. (2006 roatan travelers will remember what I mean). Oh well.. next trip.

#600 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,629 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 11:24 AM

Ok my light crapped out on the NC trip and I haven't had time to replace it. Anyone got an extra light I can borrow? I will most likely only do one night dive so its not a biggie either way. Thanks! -ww

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users