• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

FULL! July 16-18 2007 Texas Flower Gardens & Stetson Banks!

• Please log in to reply
626 replies to this topic

#601 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 14 July 2007 - 12:57 PM

Important Trip Update:

Arrival at the Dock:

1. Plan to arrive at the boat from either wherever you are driving from or from the restaurant On The River around 7:45pm. You will then drop your luggage in the grassy area right in front of the dock and then go and park your cars in the parking areas (these are well marked) and then meet back at your luggage. If you are at the restaurant we'll be leaving there at 7:30pm. If you are meeting us at the dock meet us there at 7:45pm.

2. The first boat briefing will be at 8pm ON THE DOCK (bring mosquito spray...we'll have some already) where the boat will advise us not to bring alcohol on board, how rooming will be done etc.

3. At about 8:30 you will be able to board and go to your assigned sleeping area. (Again we are doing them by gender and rooming characteristics.)

4. Then you will put your gear in the gear area and your stuff in the bunk araa and we'll do the final orientation of the boat. Then its crash until the next day!

Rooming:

1. Karen mentioned that the boat is communal sleeping quarters meaning 4-8 people in an area that has bunks and a curtain for a door. One area is an open non-claustropobic area but it also has little privacy. We'll have shared showers on the boat and shared sleeping quarters. But the boat has been totally redesigned and used to sleep 32 but now it sleeps 24. The boat usually allows first come first served choice of bunks but we'll be grouping divers according to gender and sleeping characteristics...hopefully you provided them to us in the survey!

2. ScubaPunk and I will have these worked out today. IF YOU WANT TO BE IN THE OPEN BUNK AREAS let us know. We'll announce the rooming on the boat.

3. We ALL plan to meet at the restaurant across from the boat...the On The River. We'll leave there at 7:30pm.

I have been on this boat twice this year, and have tried both the open area and a separate room. I prefer the open area myself because it gives me more room, and I don't like to be crowded. The rooms are very small, and can be crowded with four people manuvering around in them. The rooms don't actually have doors on them, but rather curtains that you pull across the doorway. All the bunks, in the rooms and in the common area have curtains that pull across the sleeping area.

Edited by WreckWench, 14 July 2007 - 01:29 PM.

#602 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 01:05 PM

Gosh, the way y'all are going on about motion illness, I hope no one gets it just because of all the suggestions. I think I've seen it happen more on larger vessels and subtle, sneaky feelings - less likely on one of this size.

It does happen to some, tho - I've seen it many times. Good to prepare but don't expect it to happen. Good idea to start the prophylactics today, as well as start working on extra hydration today, extra salt on food, etc. I always found the best advice for anyone starting to feel ill was to sit midship, outside and watch the horizon for the best sense of stability. For me, I just go to sleep - but closing your eyes can take your mind off of the unfamiliar movements that confuse your subconscious.

I have hard sided bags for other plane trips, but for liveaboards - I use all softsides. One of mine cost $10 at Wal-mart 7 years ago and still going well after several trips, altho you many notice some farm boy reinforcements I've added.

Got a couples of questions here:
> I like warm liquids a lot - coffee, then decaf and hot chocolate. They generally have those on hand ok? Too late to put chocolate on a special requests, so should I bring some and turn it on on arrival per the no food rule?
> I hate styrofoam cups. Some boats I've known assign numbered, ceramic cups, one suggested bringing your own boat cup. How about on this one?

thanks!

This will be my fourth trip to the Flower Gardens, and every time without exception, one or two people have gotten seasick.

They will have anything you want to drink on board. They have coffee reg and decaf and hot cholocate, no need for a special request. For cold drinks, they will be giving everyone a plastic cup with the Spree Logo, and a marker to write your name on the cup. You will use this cup all weekend, and can take it with you when you go home. For coffee and hot drinks, you will be given a real cup, not styrofoam. They are not assigned, they just wash them each time they are used.

#603 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 01:12 PM

Another question. Thanks for the updates.

What will those of us coming in a bit earlier in the afternoon do with our luggage between arrival and when we meet for HH? This is mainly an issue for those of us with the kind/ gracious drivers who are not going on the trip? Can we dump the luggage somewhere and then sight see or hang out?

Goodness Sandy, you are scaring me!!! 5lbs!! I am really in trouble then. Also the sea sickness thing. Used to be in the Navy too, and still sail. Generally don't get seasick. But I guess my 4 tabs of Bonine that I threw in may not be enough. Better stock up today. Definitely better safe than sorry.

I guess the no food means I can't bring chocolate for the girls...oops, can't be selfish or sexist... I mean chocoholics?????? Darn. (2006 roatan travelers will remember what I mean). Oh well.. next trip.

That's one of the reasons I gain 5 lbs! They have chocolate! They have cookies, cake and a candy bowl that they do not let get empty. They also have plenty of healthy snacks, sitting right next to the chocolate!

My guess is that Phyllis is going to stay for the HH for a while before she heads back home, so I suspect you will leave your luggage in her vehicle until after the HH, and then she will drive you over to the dock. The HH is at the resturant that is across the street from the dock, so that is where we will be hanging out until we go to the dock. There really isn't anything else to do in Freeport as far as sight seeing, but we will do some site seeing before heading down to Freeport since you get in earlier in the day.

Edited by ScubaPunk, 14 July 2007 - 03:04 PM.

#604 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Cert Level:National Geographic OW, AOW, Nitrox (IANTD)
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 14 July 2007 - 01:17 PM

I am not usually prone to sea sickness -- but anything can happen (and has before). I planned ahead in this department and bought the Electronic Relief Band:

Posted Image

I tested on my Mom a couple of weeks ago and it worked great. The beauty of this device is you can be in the heat of a seasick moment and it will pull you back to normal. Most medicines will not do that. I hate pills and love gadgets so this is a good solution.

Of course I will be one of the people it just doesn't work on ... :)

You will find in most cases I am happy to volunteer for a top bunk. I tend to be one of the smaller agile folks so I am happy save other people the climb.

Edited by Houston Squid, 14 July 2007 - 01:17 PM.

Signature under construction :)

#605 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 01:17 PM

Ok my light crapped out on the NC trip and I haven't had time to replace it. Anyone got an extra light I can borrow? I will most likely only do one night dive so its not a biggie either way. Thanks! -ww

You can use mine. I'm not a big fan of night diving.

#606 Juliwithani

Juliwithani

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Cert Level:OW Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 14 July 2007 - 01:34 PM

Important Trip Update:

Arrival at the Dock:

1. Plan to arrive at the boat from either wherever you are driving from or from the restaurant On The River around 7:45pm. You will then drop your luggage in the grassy area right in front of the dock and then go and park your cars in the parking areas (these are well marked) and then meet back at your luggage. If you are at the restaurant we'll be leaving there at 7:30pm. If you are meeting us at the dock meet us there at 7:45pm.

2. The first boat briefing will be at 8pm ON THE DOCK (bring mosquito spray...we'll have some already) where the boat will advise us not to bring alcohol on board, how rooming will be done etc.

3. At about 8:30 you will be able to board and go to your assigned sleeping area. (Again we are doing them by gender and rooming characteristics.)

4. Then you will put your gear in the gear area and your stuff in the bunk araa and we'll do the final orientation of the boat. Then its crash until the next day!

Rooming:

1. Karen mentioned that the boat is communal sleeping quarters meaning 4-8 people in an area that has bunks and a curtain for a door. One area is an open non-claustropobic area but it also has little privacy. We'll have shared showers on the boat and shared sleeping quarters. But the boat has been totally redesigned and used to sleep 32 but now it sleeps 24. The boat usually allows first come first served choice of bunks but we'll be grouping divers according to gender and sleeping characteristics...hopefully you provided them to us in the survey!

2. ScubaPunk and I will have these worked out today. IF YOU WANT TO BE IN THE OPEN BUNK AREAS let us know. We'll announce the rooming on the boat.

3. We ALL plan to meet at the restaurant across from the boat...the On The River. We'll leave there at 7:30pm.

I have been on this boat twice this year, and have tried both the open area and a separate room. I prefer the open area myself because it gives me more room, and I don't like to be crowded. The rooms are very small, and can be crowded with four people manuvering around in them. The rooms don't actually have doors on them, but rather curtains that you pull across the doorway. All the bunks, in the rooms and in the common area have curtains that pull across the sleeping area.

FYI, I am claustrophobic (sp?) so I would definetly prefer open area to closed, at the least hopefully a bottom bunk... if not tooo much of a problem.

thanks.
juliwithani

#607 DandyDon

DandyDon

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 14 July 2007 - 02:17 PM

This will be my fourth trip to the Flower Gardens, and every time without exception, one or two people have gotten seasick.

They will have anything you want to drink on board. They have coffee reg and decaf and hot cholocate, no need for a special request. For cold drinks, they will be giving everyone a plastic cup with the Spree Logo, and a marker to write your name on the cup. You will use this cup all weekend, and can take it with you when you go home. For coffee and hot drinks, you will be given a real cup, not styrofoam. They are not assigned, they just wash them each time they are used.

It's certainly helpful to have those who have done this boat giving suggestions and answers, thanks. Yeah, I see people get sick. Crossing the Gulf Strem on a Blackbeards in 12 footers was a real experience. The Calf guys and I just slept below mostly, went up above now and then to judge others for distance and color. Now watch me to be the one who does. Posted Image Oh well, I've never seen it last more than a day on anyone.

Thanks again for the answers Sandy - hope you're not overworking yourself.

Back to surveying batteries, testing lights, dabbing silicone grease and all those fun preparation things... :)

Edited by DandyDon, 14 July 2007 - 02:18 PM.

What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#608 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,629 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:40 PM

Important Trip Update:

I just spoke with the boat captain and he says he sees NOTHING that will impact our trip so it is a GO!!!

See you all tomorrow night! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#609 nurseshark

nurseshark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW,Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 14 July 2007 - 06:03 PM

Ok my light crapped out on the NC trip and I haven't had time to replace it. Anyone got an extra light I can borrow? I will most likely only do one night dive so its not a biggie either way. Thanks! -ww

You can use mine. I'm not a big fan of night diving.

You can have mine too.... :P
I too am not a fan of the night dive...

Karen

#610 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 06:04 PM

Important Trip Update:

I just spoke with the boat captain and he says he sees NOTHING that will impact our trip so it is a GO!!!

:P :) WoooHoooo!! :cheerleader: :cheerleader: We're goin divin. :cool1: :diver:

#611 nurseshark

nurseshark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 06:06 PM

Gosh, the way y'all are going on about motion illness, I hope no one gets it just because of all the suggestions. I think I've seen it happen more on larger vessels and subtle, sneaky feelings - less likely on one of this size.

It does happen to some, tho - I've seen it many times. Good to prepare but don't expect it to happen. Good idea to start the prophylactics today, as well as start working on extra hydration today, extra salt on food, etc. I always found the best advice for anyone starting to feel ill was to sit midship, outside and watch the horizon for the best sense of stability. For me, I just go to sleep - but closing your eyes can take your mind off of the unfamiliar movements that confuse your subconscious.

I have hard sided bags for other plane trips, but for liveaboards - I use all softsides. One of mine cost $10 at Wal-mart 7 years ago and still going well after several trips, altho you many notice some farm boy reinforcements I've added.

Got a couples of questions here:
> I like warm liquids a lot - coffee, then decaf and hot chocolate. They generally have those on hand ok? Too late to put chocolate on a special requests, so should I bring some and turn it on on arrival per the no food rule?
> I hate styrofoam cups. Some boats I've known assign numbered, ceramic cups, one suggested bringing your own boat cup. How about on this one?

thanks!

Not trying to scare people into being sick but this is year 4 for me with 3-5 trips a year to the Gardens
As Sandy said there is usually someone on board who is either uninformed or a nonbeliever that gets sick, so take the meds...

And yes...you eat dive eat dive eat dive eat..sleep sleep sleep
No one goes hungry !
:P

#612 nurseshark

nurseshark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 06:07 PM

Important Trip Update:

WHOOOOO HOOOOOOO
:P :) :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

#613 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:23 PM

I'm sure I can find an extra light for ya you wench you.

Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#614 Juliwithani

Juliwithani

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Cert Level:OW Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:35 PM

Important Trip Update:

WHOOOOO HOOOOOOO
:P :) :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

Can hardly wait! The Jeep is packed and ready to rock! The weather in Houston today has been HOT HOT HOT, but very little rain at all... YIPEE! This time tomorrow the boat will be a rocking and rolling with party just beginning!!

Safe Travels Yall.

#615 Stingray1

Stingray1

• PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:36 PM

Karen, Phyllis, as I finish packing my dive gear, there is one thing that would be very helpful.. either a quick stop to buy batteries on the drive down to the boat, or if one of you could pick up about 8 C batteries for me, I will cover the costs. I would like to have some back up batteries for my lights, and I don't believe the boat will have any. I hate to carry them on the flight since I am trying to minimize weight.

Thanks
Rosa

I'll have some for you.
I'm also bringing my weights if anyone wants to use them.
I'll have some extra beach towels and a mesh bag, too.
Phyllis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users