• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

1 SPOT LEFT! July 4-9 2007 North Carolina 4th of July dive on History!!!

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#16 WaterDragon

WaterDragon

Getting started

• Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water, Dry Suite, Nitronix
  • Logged Dives:42

Posted 27 December 2006 - 11:11 AM

Hi

This is my first dive trip to NC. I just got back form Bonaire. I was wondering is the current in NC on these wrecks going to be more of a problem?

On these wrecks is there a archor line that you follow down or do you do a free descent and a free ascent with no achor line to follow?

#17 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 27 December 2006 - 11:53 AM

WaterDragon

over the 4th there was only 2 dives where the current came up but it wasnt that bad you couldnt swim againist.

as for the ascents and descents its reccomended that you follow the anchor line down which is hooked into the wreck by the divemaster. Also they really discourage free descents and ascents as if you hit mid column currents you could totally get blown off the wreck and you would be in no mans land.

I will dig up the picture that shows the rigging under the boat for safety stops

Tooth

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#18 WaterDragon

WaterDragon

Getting started

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:56 PM

How is the currents on these wrecks in NC?
I just got back from Bonaire and I didn't really notice any currents there.

Can someone that being to both places compare the currents for me?

#19 WaterDragon

WaterDragon

Getting started

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:59 PM

WaterDragon

over the 4th there was only 2 dives where the current came up but it wasnt that bad you couldnt swim againist.

as for the ascents and descents its reccomended that you follow the anchor line down which is hooked into the wreck by the divemaster. Also they really discourage free descents and ascents as if you hit mid column currents you could totally get blown off the wreck and you would be in no mans land.

I will dig up the picture that shows the rigging under the boat for safety stops

Tooth

Thank you I would appreciate it.

#20 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 27 December 2006 - 01:20 PM

Here is a example of a carolina rig

Posted Image

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#21 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 27 December 2006 - 05:01 PM

Payment Update:

1. Jerry aka WaterDragon got your dep and first pymt on ck1162. :birthday:

Note: PLEASE put your screen name on the check as well as the trip you wish to apply the money too! :birthday:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#22 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 05:20 PM

ScubaTooth is right...stay on the anchor line going down and up and you'll eliminate 98% of all current issues you'll encounter. If the current is at the bottom simply use the wreck to 'hide' from the current or even pull yourself along the wreck with your fingertips rather than trying to swim against it. You'll conserve air, move forward into the current and you'll not hurt the wreck as you'll only touch it with a finger or two. (I use this latter strategy all the time!)

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#23 WaterDragon

WaterDragon

Getting started

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 06:40 AM

Payment Update:

1. Jerry aka WaterDragon got your dep and first pymt on ck1162. :D

Note: PLEASE put your screen name on the check as well as the trip you wish to apply the money too! :iagree:

Will try and remeber for future trips with this group. Thanks for letting me know.

#24 scuba1fun

scuba1fun

Getting started

• Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Cert Level:DM - 11 certifications, goal is DI
  • Logged Dives:170+

Posted 30 December 2006 - 11:07 AM

Hi Kamala,
Hope you had a great Christmas and have a very fun New Year! My check for the deposit will be in the mail on Jan 2nd! Can't wait!! :birthday: to North Carolina!!

Thanks,
Amy
Shark Bait and Loving It!
NC Bow Bunny (aka Amy)

#25 scuba1fun

scuba1fun

Getting started

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 11:20 AM

WaterDragon

Tooth

You are absolutely right about the free descents! I have done @ 40 wreck dives on the NC coast and the ONLY time I did a free ascent or descents was for my one of my certs (deep or wreck?).

Also, for all those concerned about the currents, I did my first wreck dive (110 ft) after only 11 dives in quarry/calm water. Never should have gone so soon or without a wreck certification - what are friends for? It was a stormy day with 10 ft swells and I was more than happy to get in the water! :-) Honestly, in my experience, the currents have not been that bad. The wrecks are awesome and the dives incredible!! But as someone mentioned, wreck dives on the NC coast are not for everyone.

P.S. I have brought friends wreck diving that had never been. Some refused to take anything for seasickness (Triptone for me). "I never get sick on boats" - famous last words. 90% of them spent the trip home feeding the sea creatures! :birthday:
NC Bow Bunny (aka Amy)

#26 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 11:41 AM

Hi Kamala,
Hope you had a great Christmas and have a very fun New Year! My check for the deposit will be in the mail on Jan 2nd! Can't wait!! :birthday: to North Carolina!!

Thanks,
Amy

That is great! Another gal wreckdiver! :birthday: WAAAAAAYYYYYY COOOOOOOLLLLLLL!!!! :birthday:

I'll let you know when I get your check! And keep watching this thread for all the details! -ww

formerly...

#27 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 04:32 PM

You are absolutely right about the free descents! I have done @ 40 wreck dives on the NC coast and the ONLY time I did a free ascent or descents was for my one of my certs (deep or wreck?).

Also, for all those concerned about the currents, I did my first wreck dive (110 ft) after only 11 dives in quarry/calm water. Never should have gone so soon or without a wreck certification - what are friends for? It was a stormy day with 10 ft swells and I was more than happy to get in the water! :-) Honestly, in my experience, the currents have not been that bad. The wrecks are awesome and the dives incredible!! But as someone mentioned, wreck dives on the NC coast are not for everyone.

P.S. I have brought friends wreck diving that had never been. Some refused to take anything for seasickness (Triptone for me). "I never get sick on boats" - famous last words. 90% of them spent the trip home feeding the sea creatures! :birthday:

You bring up some excellent points.

1. ALWAYS use the line up and down. Free ascents and descents are for the Caribbean. ALSO...the boat is anchored to the wreck and can not leave its mooring until ALL the divers are back on the boat and the anchor is released by one of the divemasters. This makes for a VERY VERY LONG wait in open ocean if you are drifting somewhere away from the boat.

2. I'm glad you realized that 11 dives was far too few to go diving in NC. I'm even more glad that you not only survived but are a better diver because of it. We ask for at least 40 dives so that divers are comfortable with their gear and diving.

3. Sea sickness...yes I've seen hundreds of divers tell me "I never get sea sick" and then be unpleasantly surprised when they suddenly were seasick in NC. As a result I now carry industrial sized bottles of meclizine for anyone who needs or wants it. Sure beats having a bad trip cuz you were queasy.

Looking forward to having you on the trip! -ww

formerly...

#28 scuba1fun

scuba1fun

Getting started

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 04:59 PM

If there is anything I can do to help from the NC end, let me know! I would be more than happy to!
NC Bow Bunny (aka Amy)

#29 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 06:43 PM

If there is anything I can do to help from the NC end, let me know! I would be more than happy to!

Absolutely! For starters we usually have 50% or more of the trip participants come from the local drive in area! So helping us find more divers who want to join us helps out tremendously!

I will certainly need help as we get closer to the trip so I'll let you know what you can do! In the meantime if you know anyone who might like to join us...tell 'em about us! -ww

formerly...

#30 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2006 - 09:41 PM

I'm in.

Check will be in the mail at the end of this week.

PlatypusMan.
... Sparky is excited. I don't know why.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users