• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Anyone want to tour the USS Ling at Hackensack, NJ?

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#1 NJMike

NJMike

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, planning AOW in 2007
  • Logged Dives:7

Posted 18 December 2006 - 06:23 AM

Its official! February 24th is the SingleDivers.com Feb Happy Hour for the NE!!! See below for details:

Time:
Location: USS Ling in Hackensack, NJ Here's the link: http://www.njnm.com/
After the Tour: We'll be getting dinner/drinks at __________ (TBA soon)

Background:
Hi everyone. I've been trying to get over to Hackensack and take the tour of the USS Ling, a Balao class WWII submarine.

It is only open on Saturday and Sundays, and my first available date is Jan. 20. Anyone else want to go? The sub is heated (I'm told) and my GPS software shows a diner very close by, so depending on what you want to do, we could also include breakfast or lunch.

Here's the link: http://www.njnm.com/ Thanks, Mike

Who's Going?
1. Mike aka NJMike - PAID
2. secretsea18
3. bdexter117 now penguien
4. Moose
5. Fairybasslet
6. drckw - PAID
7. Lattitude Adjustment - PAID
8. pocahontas
9. fala
10. bubbleboy

Who's Interested but just can't commit yet?

Edited by WreckWench, 09 February 2007 - 04:50 PM.

#2 Moose

Moose

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Cert Level:Numerous
  • Logged Dives:Fg = (m x D) m10^-2

Posted 18 December 2006 - 06:57 AM

Hi everyone. I've been trying to get over to Hackensack and take the tour of the USS Ling, a Balao class WWII submarine.

It is only open on Saturday and Sundays, and my first available date is Jan. 20. Anyone else want to go? The sub is heated (I'm told) and my GPS software shows a diner very close by, so depending on what you want to do, we could also include breakfast or lunch.

Here's the link: http://www.njnm.com/

Thanks,
Mike

My rich uncle has me that weekend (Uncle Sam). But any other weekend in Jan is fine. There is also a HH on Jan, I wonder if we should try to combine the two?
Moose
Everything I know about knots, I learned from Alexander the Great.

#3 Basslet

Basslet

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 18 December 2006 - 07:29 AM

Oh Lord does this bring back memories. My son had one of his birthday parties there. Maybe when he was 7 or 8. It is very cool, and yes, there is a diner right next door. I was always amazed by how so many men could live is such close quarters for such a long time and not kill each other. That place is TINY!!

#4 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 18 December 2006 - 07:58 AM

What a cool idea! The plans for the Jan 27th HH are set and are going to be posted soon. While the food and drink will be another location (one that is very cool indeed) you could always do the Sub first. Or you could do it in early Feb and plan the HH at the food nearby. Great idea! I'll move this to the Eastern Seaboard Region activities as it sounds really great!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#5 NJMike

NJMike

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 08:22 AM

Wow! Glad that it seems to be a good idea. The weekend is not too important to me...except that I realized that Sundays might be better for me since I have one daughter doing basketball on Saturdays and another may have a volleyball tournament on a Saturday, but those are not every weekend.

Sunday neither one of them have activities so I wouldn't have to take time away from them.

As far as the HH goes, I haven't been to any and don't know how they work or how it would be combined with the Ling tour. I assumed the HH was a Friday night out drinking kind of thing...was I wrong?

The tour takes about 45 minutes and the last one starts at 3:15pm. They open at 10am.

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 08:31 AM

Yes a HH does includes some alcohol but many of our members do not drink but join in anyway. They usually start fairly early about 4:30 to 5pm so the last tour would be perfect!

Do the tour...head to a predetermined place to meet up and have some food and a drink if you are so inclined. The HH's are mostly to help our members meet one another and they are certainly fun!

Sounds like we have a great plan in the making! As for doing one on Sunday night...that is an option too! Especially if it is an early option like doing the tour and then getting some food and a drink or so!

The past few have been on Saturday so that people can drive easily from longer distances and meet up. They have also been early as SOME of our members have actually dove earlier that day and then joined up for the social aspects! But don't worry...many just want the social aspects.

Let us know what works for you and we can always try something different. The Jan details will be posted soon! I happen to know as I've been talking to the gals setting it up about it since I might be able to come down!

I'm thinking we could do this as our Feb option! Any date ideas for Feb? The Jan date is Jan 27th. -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#7 NJMike

NJMike

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 08:46 AM

I do agree that Sat is probably better if HH follows. For Feb, the 3rd and 17th look good. But the 3rd is the following weekend from Jan 27, so probably is too soon. How about Feb 17th as a choice?

#8 Moose

Moose

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 08:57 AM

I do agree that Sat is probably better if HH follows. For Feb, the 3rd and 17th look good. But the 3rd is the following weekend from Jan 27, so probably is too soon. How about Feb 17th as a choice?

I'm good any weekend in feb except 9-10. I'll make it to the HH otherwise. (Unless I need to go for another emergency trip to the Caribean again.)
Moose

#9 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 09:02 AM

Cool anyone else want to chime in? Looks like we are firming up a date for Feb's HH! :cheerleader:

Hey NJMike...can you find out how many people the museum can hold? If we get a great response we might just max them out.

formerly...

#10 NJMike

NJMike

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 09:38 AM

Okay, I just spoke with them. The maximum number of people on any one tour is 10-15. For a group of 15 or more, the price is $5 per person instead of the usual $7.

Feb. 17th is open at this time.

I will send him an email per his request when the date is firm and at that we can also give him an approximate number of people who will go. If there is more than 15, they will break it up into smaller groups.

In that case, one group would start, then about 10 mins later the next group would start...so if 3 groups went through it should be about 1:15 from the beginning of the first group till the end of the third. The start time would have to be moved up from 3:15, though, which is the last tour start time.

Which means...if there were 3 groups...the first group would have to start about 2:30 to be on the safe side.

I will be happy to coordinate with the museum if you like.

#11 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 09:45 AM

Great! We have a plan and a good one at that! Can you also find out the name of the diner/restaurant near the museum? That will make a great logical place to eat and have a drink! They do have a liquour license don't they?

Anyone want to help Mike out with this fun event for Feb? I can ask FairyBasslet and Pocahontas to help with the social end now that we have the day time activity set up. :cheerleader:

formerly...

#12 pocahontas

pocahontas

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:165

Posted 18 December 2006 - 09:54 AM

I'll be in Cozumel from the 10th to the 17th. I don't get back that late I could probably meet up with later on the 17th but I'll miss the sub tour.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Stopping by Woods - Robert. Frost

#13 Moose

Moose

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 09:57 AM

Great! We have a plan and a good one at that! Can you also find out the name of the diner/restaurant near the museum? That will make a great logical place to eat and have a drink! They do have a liquour license don't they?

Anyone want to help Mike out with this fun event for Feb? I can ask FairyBasslet and Pocahontas to help with the social end now that we have the day time activity set up. :cheerleader:

Wow, I love the positive outlook. I really don't see 45 people going however. (I think it will be under the 15 limit even)

However, I'll be happy to help if there is anything that you need help with. But, it may be a great "Initiation" to have the new guy set it up!?

Let me know if you need any help, but it sounds like we have a date, location, and plan. That is 95% of the battle.
Moose

#14 NJMike

NJMike

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 10:07 AM

Fairybasslet confirmed the diner next door...I do not have my GPS software here at work but will check it tonight. I'm pretty sure it gave the name, so I will call them.

I have printed out the group reservation form, and when we have finalized some info I will have to send it in with a $35 check as a deposit.

Since this is a first come basis, we might want to send in the form/payment as soon as we can in order to lock in the date.

But to do that, we need to start getting an idea of who will go....so I will start....

Who wants to tour the Ling?

1. NJMike (Mike)

#15 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 18 December 2006 - 10:40 AM

I would like to tour the Ling also but I'll be diving from 2/10 to 2/17/06 and there is an SD trip that week also, sometimes we actually get off the computers and dive :D
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users