• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Can men see fashion and patterns?

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#91 Moose

Moose

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Cert Level:Numerous
  • Logged Dives:Fg = (m x D) m10^-2

Posted 17 January 2007 - 03:02 PM

I could be wrong, but I believe he's under the mistaken impression he would be able to dictate how his wife would vote.

It was a joke. Not a very good one, but if you read most of my post, you shouldn't have your expectations high! :)
Moose
Everything I know about knots, I learned from Alexander the Great.

#92 mantarraya

mantarraya

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:>100

Posted 17 January 2007 - 03:21 PM

I could be wrong, but I believe he's under the mistaken impression he would be able to dictate how his wife would vote.

It was a joke. Not a very good one, but if you read most of my post, you shouldn't have your expectations high! :)

Maybe we gals now have a better understanding of just why you are still single, Moose.... :)

(all meant in jest, of course)
Back after a long absence - whew, too busy at work!

#93 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 03:25 PM

Maybe we gals now have a better understanding of just why you are still single, Moose.... :)

(all meant in jest, of course)

Of course. :)

#94 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 17 January 2007 - 05:55 PM

Oh my God! I hear you girl! I thought it was just because I was Chinese or something. Like guys want to go out with me before they find a nice, wholesome blond person to marry...

Nah ... we date blondes. We marry brunettes! :)
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#95 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 17 January 2007 - 06:18 PM

I'm glad it was a joke. You're right, it wasn't very good, but then I've had lots of jokes bomb as well. Actually, I read all of it. How would you know if my expectations are high or low?
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#96 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 17 January 2007 - 06:20 PM

If I’m half Italian and half Russian, what difference does it make if you are half Chinese or half Martian? We are all becoming hybrids, so to speak.

Um, Moose. As a biologist, I think I'd better explain something about the birds and the bees to you. Martians have slightly different mating habits than we Homo sapiens. While it is fun to "engage" them on their terms (believe me, I've tried it many times, not to mention a few lovely ladies from Xanadu), there is a pre-zygotic reproductive isolating mechanisms that prevents them from mating with humans, Chinese or not. Sorry to disappoint you.

And I'd hope people understood that racial and ethnic hybrids are often good for the genetic composition of the resulting offspring. I'm a mix of German, French, English, Swedish, Swiss, Canadian, Native American (Cherokee) and polar bear.

In a population which stays within its normal geographic range, genetic adaptations linked to race or ethnicity may be desirable. However, in today's era of mobile populations, the hybrid usually has the advantage! I don't care what background my future mate has as long as she is female (oh, and a diver).

#97 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 17 January 2007 - 06:29 PM

If I’m half Italian and half Russian, what difference does it make if you are half Chinese or half Martian? We are all becoming hybrids, so to speak.

Um, Moose. As a biologist, I think I'd better explain something about the birds and the bees to you. Martians have slightly different mating habits than we Homo sapiens.

Hmm... everything I learned about Martians I got from this guy and I don't recall anything about mating.

Attached Images

• Marvinthemartain.jpg

"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#98 pocahontas

pocahontas

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:165

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:12 PM

Oh my God! I hear you girl! I thought it was just because I was Chinese or something. Like guys want to go out with me before they find a nice, wholesome blond person to marry...

Nah ... we date blondes. We marry brunettes! :lmao:

Well - not ethnic brunettes anyway.

Perhaps I can put this all in a light that pure-breeds haven't really thought of:
In the eyes of a Chinese mother (or my grandmother), I am a white girl. (my father is Dutch, German, Irish and a drop of Cherokee)
In the eyes of a Caucasian mother (or my other grandmother) I am a Chinese girl.
And the vast majority of mom's really don't want mutt grandchildren. You see - we mutts can have this whole other view of racism. If you are black, Hispanic, Chinese, etc, you may be discriminated against, but you can always hang out with the other minorities who are the same minority as you. If you are mutt even your family hates you most of the time. The only group I actually belong to is the firefighter group.
Of course there are those rebel guys who actually want to piss off their moms but a Chinese rebel guy will marry a blond woman and a white rebel usually will prefer a pure, off-the-boat Chinese girl.
Of course the fact that I run into burning buildings for a living does not seem to be helping my cause either....and then there is the whole problem of guys having a great deal of trouble understanding that there are this whole group of guys that I would die for other than them....
Luckily, I have an adorable dog and lots of great hobbies.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Stopping by Woods - Robert. Frost

#99 pocahontas

pocahontas

• PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:16 PM

I am all Norwegian (never been there). You are who you are, it is what makes you special.

With a screen name of Pocahontas, you must be half "original american" and half chinese. In my history class, the indians walked over from china...so you are a purebreed :lmao:

Brilliant!! I think this is going to be my new story!!!

#100 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 18 January 2007 - 01:58 AM

Perhaps I can put this all in a light that pure-breeds haven't really thought of:
In the eyes of a Chinese mother (or my grandmother), I am a white girl. (my father is Dutch, German, Irish and a drop of Cherokee)
In the eyes of a Caucasian mother (or my other grandmother) I am a Chinese girl.
And the vast majority of mom's really don't want mutt grandchildren. You see - we mutts can have this whole other view of racism. If you are black, Hispanic, Chinese, etc, you may be discriminated against, but you can always hang out with the other minorities who are the same minority as you. If you are mutt even your family hates you most of the time. The only group I actually belong to is the firefighter group.
Of course there are those rebel guys who actually want to piss off their moms but a Chinese rebel guy will marry a blond woman and a white rebel usually will prefer a pure, off-the-boat Chinese girl.
Of course the fact that I run into burning buildings for a living does not seem to be helping my cause either....and then there is the whole problem of guys having a great deal of trouble understanding that there are this whole group of guys that I would die for other than them....

Are you serious about this (I assume you are)? I guess out here in California we are much less conscious of racial and ethnic differences because we have a pretty good melting pot. There are the Anglos of course, the Hispanics who the border crosses back about 1850, the Hispanics who crossed the border more recently, the blacks, the Native Americans, the Asians of many ethnic origins, etc., etc.

Even my Midwestern Mom has relaxed her views over the decades. But then, she'd like to see me get married to a woman of any flavor. At least she already got a grandchild out of me.

#101 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 18 January 2007 - 06:12 AM

My niece is half Korean, I've never heard her express any of the issues you seem to encounter. She's merely a beautiful young lady with a beautiful child of her own.

Let's go diving!
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#102 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 18 January 2007 - 07:04 AM

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!! :lmao:

I'm with yoda on this one-

"Let's go diving!!!"
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#103 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:58 AM

The only group I actually belong to is the firefighter group.

Hey nothing wrong with running into a burning building, as im headed that direction as im almost done with medic school. I will second that dieing for your brethen or sisters as the average person wont ever understand as they wouldnt have a clue even if it was explained to them.

as for being a mutt, i dont see anything wrong with it as there seems to be more problems with "pure breeds" in general then those that are mixed, and im not talking about dogs but all types of animals, but then again some people have a very narrow view of the world.

Tooth

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#104 pocahontas

pocahontas

• PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:17 AM

Are you serious about this (I assume you are)? I guess out here in California we are much less conscious of racial and ethnic differences because we have a pretty good melting pot. There are the Anglos of course, the Hispanics who the border crosses back about 1850, the Hispanics who crossed the border more recently, the blacks, the Native Americans, the Asians of many ethnic origins, etc., etc.

Even my Midwestern Mom has relaxed her views over the decades. But then, she'd like to see me get married to a woman of any flavor. At least she already got a grandchild out of me.

I have heard from friends from the west coast that this is less of an issue out there. Funny - I'm about 15 min from Manhattan so we have a pretty diverse melting pot here as well. You would think people would get along better. If I am on the actual island of Manhattan I have noticed that the first question that guys I meet ask me is not "So what are you?" (are you kidding???I usually tell them I'm a vampire) or "What nationality are you?" (almost as bad since I tell them that both of my parents were born here so I am as American as they come) or (slightly better) "what is your background?" (sometimes this is also the follow-up to the second question after I tell them I'm American). Guys in NYC seem to ask "what do you do?" which is definitely in better taste, but since my job is also a little atypical, probably not any more likely to help me find Mr. Right.
For those of you who are thinking I'm just over-sensitive. I do not mean these questions are in the middle of a conversation. They are literally the first thing these guys say to me. Like before they say "hi I'm John, so....this is a pretty nice place, do you come here often..." etc, etc.
As far as Walter's neice, she is probably younger than me. This makes a difference. Times they are a changin. Or maybe your family is just mellower than mine. But it is also very probable that she has had some issues that you are not aware of. I don't think any of my uncles would say they heard about any of this stuff from me. They would not even think about it because they look at me and I am basically fine albeit single. I have a job, I bought a house 10 years ago, I take care of my parents, travel all the time etc. My aunts are in fits because they are freaked out I'm single at my age and they can't set me up with any nice Chinese guys though. The truth is, that I am happier with my dog and my friends and my firehouse full of brothers than I ever was in a relationship.

#105 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 18 January 2007 - 11:12 AM

I have heard from friends from the west coast that this is less of an issue out there.

I think you are definitely right. At least on the west coast of Canada. Mixed marriages are normal here and have been for a very long time. I have many friends that are mixed race that are our age and they have not had the problems that you have experienced. In fact, my best friend who is 20 years older than me, is half Hawaiian and half white. She never had a shortage of marriage proposals in her life.

Funny - I'm about 15 min from Manhattan so we have a pretty diverse melting pot here as well. You would think people would get along better. If I am on the actual island of Manhattan I have noticed that the first question that guys I meet ask me is not "So what are you?" (are you kidding???I usually tell them I'm a vampire) or "What nationality are you?" (almost as bad since I tell them that both of my parents were born here so I am as American as they come) or (slightly better) "what is your background?" (sometimes this is also the follow-up to the second question after I tell them I'm American).

IMO, this is very much a US thing. I had never encountered this question before in my life until I was living in California and traveling around the US when I was there. My response was always the same - "I am Canadian." That would never satisfy them and they would push to know my ethnic background. I had never considered it even remotely important in the past. Growing up in Canada I had never been asked that. I find that I am still asked that when I travel through the states and I am certainly not "exotic" looking nor out of the ordinary. My answer, to this day, remains the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users