• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Is it Love?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#46 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 25 January 2007 - 06:39 AM

Reading the posts in this thread has me REALLY discouraged about ever falling in "love." Heck, if we can't agree on a definition, how are we going to "know" it when it hits us? I guess I'll just have to be satisfied with lust... I think there is much more agreement on what that is!

Bill,

Even though I know I love Donna and I know she loves me, in the beginning, I was just plain worried about the whole thing. I would never want to go through that kind of angst again in my life. It was nerve wracking to say the least. I can only agree that we can't completely agree on what "love" is. It means different things to different people.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#47 pocahontas

pocahontas

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:165

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:28 AM

Our test for fire fighters here was the same for men and women (I think it still is). I think it is a little unfair to expect a woman to carry the same dead weight as a man who may be twice her mass. However, that was what the chief set as the standard. No wonder only a few women could pass that test, and if they did they were "discouraged" in other ways. Glad to say that chief is long gone.

I think if a woman wants to be a firefighter it is perfectly reasonable for her to be expected to carry the same dead weight as a man. If she can't drag the 180lb dummy how is she going to drag a person out of a building? If she can't do the job she shouldn't be there. The requirements here aren't unreasonable for a determined woman at all. I came out #3 on my list competing against the men. I was working out like a maniac.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Stopping by Woods - Robert. Frost

#48 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:50 AM

I can only agree that we can't completely agree on what "love" is. It means different things to different people.

I don't know, I think Heinlein defined it quite well.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#49 jextract

jextract

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:58 AM

Our test for fire fighters here was the same for men and women (I think it still is). I think it is a little unfair to expect a woman to carry the same dead weight as a man who may be twice her mass. However, that was what the chief set as the standard. No wonder only a few women could pass that test, and if they did they were "discouraged" in other ways. Glad to say that chief is long gone.

I think if a woman wants to be a firefighter it is perfectly reasonable for her to be expected to carry the same dead weight as a man. If she can't drag the 180lb dummy how is she going to drag a person out of a building? If she can't do the job she shouldn't be there. The requirements here aren't unreasonable for a determined woman at all. I came out #3 on my list competing against the men. I was working out like a maniac.

I couldn't agree more, and good for you! If you were and are not held to the same standard, you would never be viewed as a great firefighter ... you would always be considered a great female firefighter; even if you were able to pass the "male" test, differing standards would always place a cloud of doubt around you.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#50 pocahontas

pocahontas

• PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 01:49 PM

I couldn't agree more, and good for you! If you were and are not held to the same standard, you would never be viewed as a great firefighter ... you would always be considered a great female firefighter; even if you were able to pass the "male" test, differing standards would always place a cloud of doubt around you.

Precisely.
I was very relieved to take the same test.

#51 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 26 January 2007 - 01:39 PM

Carry a 180 pound dummy out of a building? Yikes, if my place ever catches on fire I'd better worry since I'm a dummy whose weight is in excess of that amount.

Why should all fire fighters have to be able to carry dummies out of buildings anyway. Shouldn't they be left there to earn their Darwin awards?

Edited by drbill, 26 January 2007 - 01:40 PM.

#52 pocahontas

pocahontas

• PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 10:10 PM

Carry a 180 pound dummy out of a building? Yikes, if my place ever catches on fire I'd better worry since I'm a dummy whose weight is in excess of that amount.

Why should all fire fighters have to be able to carry dummies out of buildings anyway. Shouldn't they be left there to earn their Darwin awards?

You don't have to be worried. You just fall into the 2 firefighter drag weight class. 180lbs is the generally accepted amount that a FF is expected to be able to drag by him or herself. I also went to a really good class a while back that showed you how to use a piece of webbing to give yourself all sorts of mechanical advantage. It does require a stable object to anchor to however.

#53 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 27 January 2007 - 08:25 PM

A stable object to anchor to? Yikes, nothing is stable out here on the island. Thanks to plate tectonics, we're moving about 2" northward every year. I'm a goner!

#54 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 28 January 2007 - 09:20 AM

I agree with you. I think after six months its love. But then again, you hear of "love at first sight."

About 4 years ago I looked through a shop window and saw an angelic smile beaming back at me. I went in to talk to her for a few minutes and we were there 2 hours. When I walked out of her shop I was as much in love as I had ever been with anyone. It only got better from there.

It is rare, but it can happen in an instant. It isn't the amount of time you spend with someone, it is the quality of that time. Cherish every moment...
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users